Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 14:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathinrao

this is not the first time, hyundai has come out with these kinds of stupid reports earlier. they had claimed santro out selling everybody. the reality was 3/4 sales were only exports as only in india they still manufacture santros.

its almost 9 months since verna (urf accent as it is sold here). u can hardly find anuy here in dubai. u find more aveo,s then verna.

i think its just BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION. the way media is highlighting it looks like rigged or bribed.
Dont compare Dubai market and Indian market. Its very much different including the roads....I was in Dubai for 2 years.
Old 5th October 2006, 14:48   #17
BHPian

hey adarsh did you get to drive the verna from popular? I was told they don't have a registration yet for the test vehicle.
But they have plenty of bookings for the crdi.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
hey adarsh did you get to drive the verna from popular? I was told they don't have a registration yet for the test vehicle.
But they have plenty of bookings for the crdi.
No not yet. They're still awaiting for the RTO's approval. They hope to get it by today. Once they get it they'll give me a call. Popular Hyundai, Cochin as on October 3rd had 8 confirmed bookings for CRDi and 3 for Petrol. There were a lot of people test driving inside the dealership. I took a test drive of the petrol version inside dealership and started the CRDi.

I think the CRDi is powerful enough even when idling lollll....it was raring to go....The service chief told me that hyundai has given them mileage figures of 11-12 and 15-16 in cities and highways for petrol version and 14 and 19 for the CRDi in city and highway respectively. Well cant comment on that unless there is some confirmed reports.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
This is a known fact some years back I was doing some freelance work for an auto magazine & when i was going through the monthly sales figures of all automotive manufacturers I just happened to ask the editor about some doubts I had. He casually remarked that Hyundai figures are always inflated & do include the export figures in the sales figures for India & hence the high sales figures.
Ofcourse the sales figures includes exports but will they inflate the figures? They have to give the reports to various depts. like income tax etc etc. I dont think they will inflate the figures and post it on their website. Not sure....Honda city has reported sales of 3776 units last month (September) but I hardly find any new City's atleast here in Cochin. If thats the case then every manufacturer inflates their figures.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 5th October 2006 at 15:15.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:33   #20
BHPian

If the numbers are true..amazing take off for the verna.

where does it leave the baleno as it exists today? even more price cuts??

Looks like verna is creaming Baleno, Aveo, fiesta below it and NHC,corolla, elantra petrol above it..

willbe interesting to see the real life mileage of this diesel engine.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Uhh ohh.. This means that NHC/Fiesta sales have surely taken a hit. The figures might be high because of the festive days immediately after the launch. But still, a remarkable achievement for Hyundai.
BTW, even I havent seen a single Verna without TR/TC number plates till date in Pune.
Yesterday I got an SMS offer on the Fiesta that the 2 year maintainence plan is being offered free.
Old 5th October 2006, 18:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
where does it leave the baleno as it exists today? even more price cuts??
More price cuts don't look possible bcos then it will enter Esteem/Swift territory. Maybe, MUL might bring in the new SX4 based Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
Looks like verna is creaming Baleno, Aveo, fiesta below it and NHC,corolla, elantra petrol above it..
Of these, the Aveo and ElantraP were never in the race at all. The Baleno also is not much of a competition. Don't think Corolla would be hit - it would be more worried about Civic, than about a car a level below it. The Fiesta and NHC would be serious contenders for the Verna, but then time will tell, how it goes.
Old 5th October 2006, 18:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_moorthy
Yesterday I got an SMS offer on the Fiesta that the 2 year maintainence plan is being offered free.
Just a usual pre-Diwali gimmick from what I understand, I've got one about 8k offer on fuel or something!
Old 5th October 2006, 21:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
2043 Vernas sold in first five days according to hyundai.

Check the press releases section of their website:

http://www.hyundai.co.in
I was told by the Hyundai Sales folks that the RTO registration is still not on for the Verna's and hence no cars on the roads except the test vehicles.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 5th October 2006, 21:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its like saying a movie is a superhit because its running in 10 theaters in the first week.

I dont think we can come to any hard conclusion from this piece of news.

Any car will sell well when its first launched due to being the new kid on the block. Plus there are 1000 s of happy Accent/Santro owners who were waiting for this car.

Not to mention Diwali is round the corner.

In about 4-6 months when the dust settles, we will see how the Verna measures up against the defending champion, Honda City. Fiesta will be beaten for sure.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th October 2006 at 00:44.
Old 5th October 2006, 23:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

It must be the bookings + exports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh
I was told by the Hyundai Sales folks that the RTO registration is still not on for the Verna's and hence no cars on the roads except the test vehicles.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 6th October 2006, 00:46   #27
BHPian

There's not a single car except Santro that Hyundai has managed to sell well and in numbers.Viva/Accent CRDi was the other saving grace. Verna (nee Accent) is just a stupid marketing gimmick by Hyundai. Just what Skoda did with Octavia/Laura. Why are Indian customers still taken for a ride by insane manufacturers?
Hyundai is just another crap brand. It can't take market of Honda City with Verna - even if it does, Honda would still retain its legacy, which Hyundai won't be able to!
In competition with Fiesta and Aveo, just wait for the novelty fade off. Verna might be just another dumb squib (except CRDi ofcourse - the only saving grace).
Old 6th October 2006, 00:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The trump card of the Hyundai is that it has a diesel option......

People who want a petrol car will still go for some other car like Fiesta, NHC or whatever....but those who want diesel have only 2 options.... Fiesta and Verna.

Since the Verna is new, many people are buying it..... And Hyundai's CRDI engines are quite famous....

In this segment, you cant compare the NHC, Aveo, Fiesta directly to the Diesel Fieta and Verna.

Over an extended period of time, it remains to be seen if the diesel Verna can beat the Fiesta and the petrol Verna beat the NHC....
Old 6th October 2006, 00:50   #29
BANNED

Vernas selling like hot cakes are not a surprise. Any car positioned like it will do the same. Nice power, Nice price, Nice timing. What else do you want?
No matter it's a Hyundai, even I am tempted to buy one for myself after the test drive. I've made a booking but not sure if I'll take the delivery.

Fiesta will take a lot of beating. Especially the diesel one.
The price difference between the petrol and diesel Verna is not much (Less than 80k). So, the Diesel will be the hot cake I assume.

Last edited by speedzak : 6th October 2006 at 00:56.
Old 6th October 2006, 02:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

For sure Fiesta is gonna breathe its last breath soon...as there are lot more Hyundai fans in India than Ford.

Note: Hyundai has this habit of making fancy claims of their performance figures(Accent Tornado:claims:100+bhps or so but easily gets belted by an esteem,,,ever asked why??).

kindly drive and confirm whether the car is actualy performing in the way its supposed to be then decide whether to buy or not!

Most Viewed