Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 11:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 models cross 10 lakh sales!

India's second largest car manufacturer and the largest passenger car exporter, Hyundai Motor India Limited, has announced that it's premium hatchback offering, the i20, has crossed 1 million units in global sales numbers.

Hyundai i20 models cross 10 lakh sales!-1millionunitsalesofi20models.jpg

The "Make in India - Made for World" premium compact hatchback from the Korean auto giant has also been the most awarded car in the Indian auto scene, winning as many as 34 major awards since it's introduction in 2008. The current-gen Elite i20 was also awarded the prestigious 2015 Indian Car Of The Year (ICOTY).

Commenting on the achievement, Mr. Y.K. Koo - MD & CEO, Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL), said:

Quote:
Reaching this historic mark is a testament to Hyundai i20’s staying power and the global appeal of a vehicle that delivers sporty design, functionality and class-leading performance.
We are extremely delighted that i20 models have achieved this milestone of 1 million global sales and met the aspirations of Indian and Global customers.
Hyundai is Modern Premium brand that offers quality, innovation and value for money with awards winning cutting-edge technology, styling and performance. Hyundai is committed towards fulfilling the customers’ aspirations and will continue to evolve its products as per the ever changing market trends
.”
Complete break-up of the sales numbers per generation:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st July 2016 at 11:25.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 11:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i20 models cross 10 lakh sales!

When a premium hatchback crosses 10 lakh sales in 8 years, that just tells you how the market dynamics have changed. The Indian customer today looks at value, not just price. I liked the 1st-gen i20, but I love the Elite i20. It's one of those rare cars that the manufacturer gets spot on - there is honestly no deal breaker with the package.

Trivia 1: The 1st-gen i20's sales shot up only after the Honda Jazz' introduction. Before the overpriced Jazz came around, the i20 was perceived as being 'expensive'. After the feature-stripped Jazz was launched for 6.98 lakhs, the 5.8 lakh i20 Asta (O) with 6 airbags suddenly looked like a VFM proposition.

Trivia 2: Hyundai's initial sales projection for the i20 was merely 1,000 units / month. An expensive hatchback won't sell any more, they said. Boy, were they happy to be proven wrong.

Just wish Hyundai hadn't taken a step back in terms of safety. Compared to its predecessor, the Elite i20 loses 4 airbags & rear wheel disc brakes. The absence of an automatic is shocking as well - related thread.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2016 at 11:58.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When a premium hatchback crosses 10 lakh sales in 8 years, that just tells you how the market dynamics have changed. The Indian customer today looks at value, not just price.
Yes, Indian market is changing for the good. It's not about price anymore. Success of Innova Crysta is a good example too.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:05   #4
BHPian

Lucky that i20 was successful which has opened the gates for Premium Hatchback segment and changed the perception of that only cheap cars sell in India. Imagine that if it had fallen flat, most probably this segment would not have been as hot as now.

Also, like GTO said, introduction of Jazz had propelled the sales when people realized the value of i20. Unfortunately, Honda still stuck up in Jazz era and unwilling to come out of it.

P.S.: Elite i20 has sold more than half of old i20 in just 2 years of introduction and still going strong even after stiff competition nowadays.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Imagine that if it had fallen flat, most probably this segment would not have been as hot as now.
With the success of the i20, it's easy to forget that Hyundai's first big hatch - the Getz - was a dud. Cost 5.1 lakhs on the road which was a lot for the time. In a poll, 90% of BHPians thought it's overpriced - link.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Honda still stuck up in Jazz era and unwilling to come out of it.
Wouldn't agree with that. The new Jazz is certainly better positioned than the first one was.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With the success of the i20, it's easy to forget that Hyundai's first big hatch - the Getz - was a dud. Cost 5.1 lakhs on the road which was a lot for the time. In a poll, 90% of BHPians thought it's overpriced - link.
haha! Good find.

The common thread between Getz and i20 was that both were "big" cars - that's all. There were some serious differences between Getz and 1st gen i20.

1) Getz was bland looking (although I kinda liked it) when compared to modern looking i20 (I didn't like the 1st gen i20 looks though).

2) Getz had no wow feature list. You had the usual plain vanilla feature list, that almost all models in that generation had. Meanwhile, 1st gen i20 was packed with features.

3) Getz never had airbags and ABS, while some variants of 1st gen i20 had 6 airbags.

Having a long feature list, looks and safety made the 1st gen i20 a premium desirable car.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 23:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the success of the i20, it's easy to forget that Hyundai's first big hatch - the Getz - was a dud. Cost 5.1 lakhs on the road which was a lot for the time. In a poll, 90% of BHPians thought it's overpriced
Thanks for the link GTO, couldn't help but to agree completely on your comment post your first test-drive of the Getz

Quote:
Its less about the additional gizmos, and more on the complete package that the Getz offers. Its more european than korean in nature, rides and handles extremely well, is much bigger than even the Indica, is very very refined.....Simply put, its a premium hatch with a premium price-tag
I feel exactly the same way, maybe it was overpriced but knowing what I do about the car, I'd say it was ahead of its time, a Hyundai unlike no Hyundai before it and something that set the bar on quality and space within a hatchback so high that it still cannot be beaten. While I respect Hyundai deeply for changing the automobile landscape in India, I will still loathe them for the way they mishandled the sales of Getz and also because they never introduced a true successor for the car, i20 sure wasn't it.

Their only mistake was that they did the opposite of normal pricing strategies which is to introduce at low price, get the word out, increase sales and then increase price. They did make up for it though as I purchased a top end Getz in 2008 for the same price it was at upon launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The common thread between Getz and i20 was that both were "big" cars - that's all. There were some serious differences between Getz and 1st gen i20.
Some differences between the two which keeps the edge with the Getz :

1. Solidity : The way in which the door shuts with an easy thud with just a push of a finger, the weight of the doors and overall quality of switchgear simply embarrasses even an Elite i20 of this age. The Getz is about 35 kgs heavier than Elite i20 even though its 5 inches shorter, yet has the same/more space inside with a marginal 3 litre of boot-space extra.

2. Build Quality : The soft-touch steering (Getz Prime), the soft folding roof handles, fully illuminated window controls (Prime), cover hook behind the front passenger seat, 2-recline adjustment for rear seat, etc make this a very practical car to be in. In my view again a step ahead of any i20.

3. Handling : No contest here.. the Getz will demolish the i20 hollow. Its become a legendary favourite for tuners in Australia/Russia/Turkey with some implanting a 2.0 litre Hyundai Tiburon engine in the Getz engine bay. Be it steering feedback, noiseless dismissals of potholes, or composure during turns the Getz excels in every way over the i20. Getz cars have beaten cars like Fiesta 1.4, Peugeot 1.4 and even cars with massive iVtec engines of Honda or the BMW Z3 with their chip tuned 1.5 CRDI or 2.0 petrol Tiburon engines. This clearly shows that the chassis of the car is solid and can handle much heavier engines and performance than stock.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed