Team-BHP - Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178336-isuzu-planning-launch-mu-x-edit-launched-rs-23-99-lakhs.html)

Overdrive reports that Isuzu is planning to bring in the new-generation MU-X to India, as a replacement to the MU-7 SUV. It will be manufactured at Isuzu's new plant at Sri City in Andhra Pradesh, and will be launched by the Japanese auto major by end-2016.

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-2014_isuzu_mu_x_overseas_0810311200x942.jpg

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-isuzumux.jpg

The Isuzu MU-X has a more contemporary design than the MU-7, and it shares it's underpinnings with the Chevy Trailblazer as Isuzu and GM had jointly developed the platform. In fact, most of it's parts and side profile looks are shared with the Chevy SUV. The Isuzu looks more premium from the front with it's projector headlamps and LED DRLs, and a muscular bumper and a thick, double-slat chrome grille which aids to it's distinctive stance.

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-isuzumux1.jpg

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-isuzumux2.jpg

The interiors feel plush and come equipped with a multi-function steering wheel, a modern instrumental cluster and a premium dashboard design. The cabin will come equipped with features like automatic climate control, cruise control and an eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-isuzumux6.jpg

The MU-X will feature electronic stability control, traction control system, emergency brake assist, hill start assist, reversing camera, rear park assist sensors and engine immobilizer as standard safety features as well.

Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-isuzumux5.jpg

The international-spec Isuzu MU-X comes with a 3.0L diesel under it's hood, which is capable of producing 177PS of peak power and 380Nm of peak torque, paired to 5-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transmissions. However, for India, Isuzu might stick to the older 3.0L diesel which powers the MU-7 which produces slightly lesser figures of 163PS of peak power and 360Nm of peak torque.

The Isuzu MU-X, if assembled in India at Isuzu's Rs 3,000-crore plant at Sri City, might come with an attractive price tag of Rs 23 lakh - Rs 27 lakh, and might pose a challenge to the likes of the Toyota Fortuner and the Ford Endeavour.

Overdrive

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4019903)
The Isuzu MU-X, if assembled in India at Isuzu's Rs 3,000-crore plant at Sri City, might come with an attractive price tag of Rs 23 lakh - Rs 27 lakh,

Not going anywhere with that price. Isuzu needs to cut down on features and ideally target the Safari Storme price point IMO. They have already shown their pricing capabilities with DMax.

A rugged, but extremely reliable diesel alternative to the current 20L SUVs should take the market by storm and help establish the Isuzu brand name in the market.

PS - Looks way better than the MU7 it replaces.

I wonder why changing the rear would double up the cost! Wouldnt it just involve a boot and may be a reduced wheelbase?

To keep up the V-Cross momentum, Isuzu needs to ensure that they do not commit the same mistakes what Chevy did with Trailblazer, first one, they need to price it sensibly just like what they did with V-Cross and not at par with either Toyota Fortuner or Ford Endeavour, despite the initial success of V-Cross, Isuzu is still an unknown brand in India and buyer will only be wiling to ignore it if they get VFM price tag. At a little less than Fortuner or Endeavour, no one would buy the MU-X. The case is same for V-Cross as well, if Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger were available for slightly higher price, would it get as many bookings, I doubt it.

Second keep 4x4 as standard, let it have the cult following, with 4x2 it aint going anywhere, the enthusiasts will reject it and masses anyways wont be willing to risk it with a new brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 4020079)
masses anyways wont be willing to risk it with a new brand.

They would, if they get the required road presence for the asking price. And road presence is something MUX (even trailblazer) has in truckloads.

If it comes at a slight premium to our desi 4*4 and AWD options like the Safari Storme or the XUV 5OO AWD, then badge value doesn't pose as big a challenge for Isuzu. Features list will need to be kept simple enough making sure only the essentials are not missed out.

Even Trailblazer is coming in its updated avatar. So it's of no use for Isuzu to be targeting the premium end of the market against its own badge engineered product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4020091)
They would, if they get the required road presence for the asking price. And road presence is something MUX (even trailblazer) has in truckloads.

I meant at a high price, at a VFM price they sure would consider/buy it. Even the Trailblazer is a competent product but it does not stand a chance priced at par with Endeavour or Fortuner, matter would be worse when next gen Fortuner arrives.

I agree priced to compete with Storme 4x4 or XUV-500 AWD, MU-X would be a super hit just like i expect V-Cross to be superhit(i doubt there would be any takers for Scorpio 4wd anymore).

Another thing they need to do is localise the 1.9 Ddi engine ASAP, plonk it in both V-Cross and MU-X, in other market its a replacement to 2.5 engine, not only it would have access to Delhi NCR market, insurance premiums and a lot of other hassles would be solved too. And higher trim variants for V-Cross with Automatic transmission and better safety kit(curtain airbags, ESP etc).

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 4020095)
I meant at a high price, at a VFM price they sure would consider/buy it. Even the Trailblazer is a competent product but it does not stand a chance priced at par with Endeavour or Fortuner, matter would be worse when next gen Fortuner arrives.

I agree priced to compete with Storme 4x4 or XUV-500 AWD, MU-X would be a super hit just like i expect V-Cross to be superhit(i doubt there would be any takers for Scorpio 4wd anymore).

Another thing they need to do is localise the 1.9 Ddi engine ASAP, plonk it in both V-Cross and MU-X, in other market its a replacement to 2.5 engine, not only it would have access to Delhi NCR market, insurance premiums and a lot of other hassles would be solved too. And higher trim variants for V-Cross with Automatic transmission and better safety kit(curtain airbags, ESP etc).

Have been waiting for this good news after driving the Dmax and will definitely buy this 'ONLY' if its priced way lesser than the Fortuner because if
did have to put the Fortuner kind of dough in an MUX, I would rather go for the Fortuner and since it shares so much of its components with the DMAX too ( Like the dashboard, front end, some bits of the interiors), they should be able to keep the price point low. Anything at 20 to 22 lakhs on road is what I would be willing to pay for this. This way they can get some pie out of the Creta, Tuscon ( when its launched) and XUV crowd too.

This one is Chevrolet Trailblazer's poorer twin, yet looks much better than the Trailblazer.

People having 25-27 lakh can easily stretch their budgets to get the Ford Endeavor or even the Fortuner. Hope Isuzu get their math correct.

Being locally built, it should definitely be better priced than the MU-7. Still, Isuzu better not target the Endeavours & Fortuners of the world.

For one, it doesn't have the brand cachet. Second, those interiors can fly in a pickup truck, but not a premium SUV. Lastly, if international reviews are anything to go by, the MU-X doesn't ride or handle well. Isuzu will need to give it a very VFM price, else it'll sink without a trace.

The new Endeavour has moved the game forward, and the new Fortuner isn't too far away from launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4019968)
Isuzu needs to cut down on features

What features can it cut down on? The Australian MU-X has nothing extraordinary, other than the 6 airbags. Can Isuzu remove those? Even a 20 lakh van today (Innova Crysta) comes with 7 airbags. The rest of the stuff (reversing camera, touchscreen etc.) is all expected at that price.

20L OTR is the sweetspot these days for a full fledged SUV. If Isuzu can pull that off they have a winner on their hands.

While we debate whether Isuzu will price it in competition to Fortuner or Endeavour or XUV, can experts throw some light on "Does this rumor have a potential to hit V-Cross sales itself?". Assuming that Isuzu prices it in competition with Indian SUVs at around 20 Lakhs, will a commoner be not better off with MU-X instead of V-Cross. With all the accessories and after market additions to make V-Cross usable, it stands at ~18 Lakhs and you still end up with a vehicle which isn't premium on the inside, requires unusually more space to park? Whether a person buying V-Cross wants a usual SUV or not is a topic for another debate.

Isuzu should go the Mahindra way and price it like the Rexton(ideally, somewhere between the XUV and the Rexton) so as to take away customers from the Fortuner and the Endeavour.

The Rexton was never able to establish itself as a reliable alternative to the competition. Also, it was lacking some features. Isuzu should equip the car well and should also make sure that the car comes out as a reliable(and not just cheap) alternative to the Fortuner and the Endeavour.

Is it just me or does this car look like one of those bad mod jobs of fortuner from DC design stable?

It also resembles the storme specially in that brown shade.

If they are going to price it like the MU-7, they can be sure of single digit sales every month.

The V Max was priced spot on and Isuzu got their plan executed well, so I think they are sane enough to understand that they cannot compete with the Big Guys ( endy and fortuner).
Moreover, the XUV is getting older and Safari is having a score old body, so there is a good space in that price range and hence Isuzu can do the necessary changes to fit in that price block.

For the one who is arguing about the 'unknown brand' premise, there is a living example of Duster who turned Renault's fortune with its brawny street presence. With the MU-X, Isuzu can do wonders.
I am optimistic about the MU-X's pricing. :)