Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

All Mercedes-Benz cars in India to get petrol engine option

Mercedes-Benz India is planning to introduce a petrol variant for every product in its line-up. This move comes as a measure to avoid sales being affected due to the NGT diesel car ban in Delhi-NCR, and to satisfy the changing customer preferences in the Indian market.

In an order released in December 2015, the Supreme Court had banned the registration of all diesel cars having an engine bigger than 2,000 cc in Delhi and NCR. Mercedes-Benz was one of the most affected automakers due to this ban, as all diesel vehicles in their portfolio had engines bigger than 2,000 cc.

Roland S Folger, MD and CEO of Mercedes-Benz India, commented that the company has already introduced petrol variants of many of its models in order to mitigate the effects of the said ban on diesel cars. Additionally, the automaker would be providing a petrol option for every car in its portfolio by September 2016.

Currently, the only two 'diesel-only' models in Mercedes line-up are the GLE and the GLS. Both these SUVs are expected to be launched in the '400' trim, with their engine and transmission setup being borrowed from the S 400 sedan. This means that the two Mercedes SUVs (GLE and GLS) will get a 3.0-litre V6 petrol engine, which will be mated to a 7-speed automatic gearbox. This powertrain will pump out around 329 BHP and 480 Nm of peak torque.

Source: Autocar India

All Mercedes-Benz cars in India to get petrol engine option-mercedesbenzglsindia.jpg

All Mercedes-Benz cars in India to get petrol engine option-1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 26th July 2016 at 12:10.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Mercedes-Benz cars in India to get petrol engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Mercedes-Benz India is planning to introduce a petrol variant for every product in its line-up.
Rightly said. Because their diesels are bigger than 2.0 litres, Mercedes has been hit the hardest by the Delhi ban. What makes matters worse is this is the biggest market for luxury cars in India, and BMW & Audi (both) have diesels just under the 2.0L cap.

Increasing the petrol range will help Mercedes, but the effect will be limited. With European cars, diesel engines are preferred due to their torque, robustness, fuel efficiency, longer tank range & resale.

I think right now, Mercedes is on a wait & watch game. If the 2.0L ban is permanent (I don't think it's here for good), they'll have to decrease the size of their 4-cylinder diesel for India. Won't be easy to convince the German HQ, I can tell you that!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 13:34   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only is the above 2Ltr Engine size an issue for Mercedes also the new 10 year limit on Diesel vehicles hits it nationwide as customers would be apprehensive of such a ban becoming nationwide.

Both are dumb rulings and should and probably will go, but till then customers would wait and watch or go for Petrol vehicles.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 13:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rightly said. Because their diesels are bigger than 2.0 litres, Mercedes has been hit the hardest by the Delhi ban. What makes matters worse is this is the biggest market for luxury cars in India, and BMW & Audi (both) have diesels just under the 2.0L cap.
Delhi MB dealer is a friend and he has been crying about the diesel ban severely. However, MB is yet at number 1 position in Delhi but BMW has caught up to number 2 spot and raced ahead of Audi as per my talk with him yesterday.
I guess the 320i and 520i are finally moving with the big discounts and also 520d and 320d are just below the 2L mark which is a big boon at the moment.

I don't think a GLE400 is a good idea, it will take the price too high. They should offer the GLE300 instead and the GLS400. GLC CKD production is to start soon too, this should help.

Last edited by Sahil : 27th July 2016 at 13:56.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 16:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I think right now, Mercedes is on a wait & watch game. If the 2.0L ban is permanent (I don't think it's here for good), they'll have to decrease the size of their 4-cylinder diesel for India. Won't be easy to convince the German HQ, I can tell you that!
It will make no sense at the already have a new 2.0L engine in the forthcoming E. The problem is the diesel fuel. Improve the fuel quality and MB will be back in business

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks