Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 19:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately, the entire D segment (bar diesel Corollas used as taxis) is dying, and this is the natural outcome. Why? Most folks who used to buy D1 or D2 cars are now buying either luxury sedans, luxury SUVs or Fortuners and other SUVs/ MPVs.

Further the D1 and D2 cars are also CKD assembled, and hence the price gap between them and the C2 sedans is more than that in any other economy.

Sad - but inevitable in my view
Hayek is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:36   #17
BHPian

Well, this brings out a crucial question - is there a viable market for D segment sedan in India?
Yes toyota and skoda are having better numbers but are these numbers bringing home the profits?
D segment buyer usually faces dual confusion, why stop at VW/ Skoda, why not go the full leap and buy from german trio. Secondly, the pull towards SUVs is also quite tempting given the Indian traffic and road conditions.

This leaves out very selected buyers who want higher value for their buck, compared to Ze Germans and the real enthusiast who appreciate the handling of these cars.
Unfortunately, it makes up for a rather small volume.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 22:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta to be discontinued in India.

I think it'll be a smart move from VW, the Skoda anyway sells more despite the problems with service(perception). The Jetta will leave the field open for the Octavia which will be the only choice if you want a European brand. VW can bring in the Tiguan which can be kitted to straddle the price points once occupied by the Jetta and up to the Passat. The money stays in the group and VW gets good volume from the SUV craze in this country at practically every price segment.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 22:59   #19
BHPian

Its not clear whats the source of this news. Don't see any official VW statement. Same with the news that came last week in AutoCar magazine.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-402684.aspx
Old 13th August 2016, 23:34   #20
BHPian

According to a fellow member's conversation with a VW executive, the next-gen Jetta would be introduced in India when the time is right.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4027110
Old 14th August 2016, 09:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I think it'll be a smart move from VW, the Skoda anyway sells more despite the problems with service(perception). The Jetta will leave the field open for the Octavia which will be the only choice if you want a European brand. VW can bring in the Tiguan which can be kitted to straddle the price points once occupied by the Jetta and up to the Passat. The money stays in the group and VW gets good volume from the SUV craze in this country at practically every price segment.
Agreed, if they can get some volume from the Tiguan, prices will go down. Am not sure if they will source local mechanical parts while importing the panels
Old 14th August 2016, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Will be an unfortunate decision. The Jetta is a wonderful car that's a pleasure to drive. Not very different from the Octavia of course but given that it's the 'better' brand, there are many top executives who will prefer it to the Skoda.

The previous gen Jetta despite being overpriced, under specced than the current Octavia, it does nearly 60% of the Octavia volumes month on month. That should tell those executives something. Forgoing the Passat and Jetta in this space to Skoda could have a signigicant impact on VW brand perception.
Old 14th August 2016, 14:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

I fear the same outcome is not far away even for C-segment sedans which are slowly losing ground to the compact on-road SUVs and crossovers that drive nearly as well but give you so much more practicality and image.
Old 14th August 2016, 14:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Something being overlooked is that the emissions cheating mess finished off whatever chances the Jetta had. The TSI engines were a miniscule portion of Jetta sales and everyone wanted the 2.0 TDI. The timing was catastrophic as VW India had just launched the snazzy facelifted version with updated steering, HU etc.

Frankly, when I went for my Octavia TSi DSG 8 months back, my only other candidate was the Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. Both had multi-link suspensions and were very very similar over the same stretch of road. However, one was petrol (with 7 speed unreliable 7DSG) and the other diesel (with 'reliable' 6DSG). The Jetta rode better being heavier and was better built.

However, the complete lack of transparency from VW India and ARAI totally turned me off from the Jetta. There was NO clarification from any party about the 2.0 TDI remediation plans and all I could do was to read media info on what VW, ARAI & sundry 'regulators' opined.

Anyway, from what I understand, VW will first launch the MQB Passat and then take a call on the MQB Jetta. In india, pricing versus perceived value is crucial and I fear the MQB Jetta will be well into the MQB Superb territory.

In any case, VW needs to figure out it's long term strategy in India as they need to substantially invest in MQB-compatible assembly and service facilities.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th August 2016 at 15:05. Reason: Clarification
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
It's Not a fair match to compare sales no. With a Corolla! I believe 60% of Corollas Sold Month on Month is the Basic Model used as a Taxi by Agencies and hotels Across India! I see More no. Of Octavias In Elegance or Style Plus Guise than the Top End Corolla.
Old 14th August 2016, 19:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Unfortunately, the entire D segment (bar diesel Corollas used as taxis) is dying, and this is the natural outcome. Why? Most folks who used to buy D1 or D2 cars are now buying either luxury sedans, luxury SUVs or Fortuners and other SUVs/ MPVs.
Also not to forget, the features that the D segment cars were loaded with like Reverse camera, ABS, Airbags, Auto gear, Interactive infotainment systems and other bling were exclusive to the D segment cars about a decade back.
While the same features are now the bare basic necessity even in an A-segment hatchback for its survival.

Till then D-segment will be thumped by Innova Crysta all the way, save for those few who prefer driving pleasure or a lengthy sedan over a UV that could haul 7 folks.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 14th August 2016 at 19:30.
Old 14th August 2016, 19:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Something being overlooked is that the emissions cheating mess finished off whatever chances the Jetta had. The TSI engines were a miniscule portion of Jetta sales and everyone wanted the 2.0 TDI. The timing was catastrophic as VW India had just launched the snazzy facelifted version with updated steering, HU etc.

the complete lack of transparency from VW India and ARAI totally turned me off from the Jetta. There was NO clarification from any party about the 2.0 TDI remediation plans and all I could do was to read media info on what VW, ARAI & sundry 'regulators' opined.
I think you have considered a vital aspect which have been missed by others. If there is no technical or legal uncertainty, the Jetta can be sold irrespective of it's styling similar to Vento. It is possible that the company went back because of potential emission challenges.

The point raised by Hayek about the impending death of D segment also looks agreeable. But when the C segment is getting costly day by day, there shall be a greater market for D segment if the car is priced properly and positioned properly to address the right target customer class.
Old 14th August 2016, 22:03   #28
BHPian

Despite having a stonking engine and classic styling, Jetta didn't succeed because it was very under equipped. It was like it didn't have too many features so that it doesn't eat into the passat while also being scared of the Vento. I mean it didn't even have an ACC in its previous avatar.

Also, similarity to vento from front didn't help (though in my opinion it looked properly beefy and had classy lines).

Hope VAG brings this car back with a more VFM proposition.
Old 15th August 2016, 18:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India

Jetta Next Gen to be revealed in late 2017.

Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India-capture.jpg

Link
Old 15th August 2016, 19:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jetta Next Gen to be revealed in late 2017.

Attachment 1542198

Link
Some how I am unable to digest this news. There are European countries with Right hand drive like Ireland and UK (still in EU) having good demand for Jetta and I have seen a lot of them on road here. VW would be missing a nice opportunity if they choose not to manufacture Jetta in RHD version

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks