Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:13   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India

Does this mean no more Jetta going forward once the current stocks are sold out ?? Not that Jetta is a selling like hot cakes but VW should not have considered discontinuing it in premium segment.

Autocar Source

Quote:
German carmaker Volkswagen is planning to discontinue the Jetta in India after the current model has been phased out internationally. Volkswagen India, however, will continue producing the current Jetta until CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits run out.

The next-generation of the executive sedan, which is set to be introduced globally in 2017, is expected to cost more than the current model. The potential high pricing is believed to be the reason behind Volkswagen’s decision to not bring the next-gen Jetta to India. The Jetta is already one of the priciest offerings in the executive sedan segment and a higher price would simply price it out of contention.
vin_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India

Naah, I think this article is a fake. Reasons:

1. Despite being around for a couple of years, the Jetta is a reasonable seller for VW India. Its sales average for the current year is ~140 units / month. The car also has a fan following and, because its so competent, the Jetta does improve the 'image of VW' in India. Take the Jetta out and all you have are the 7 year old Polo & Vento!

2. Once the current gen's kits run out, it's not like VW is going to leave this segment (and monthly turnover of 25 crores). Further, not like the Jetta is heavily localised that it requires a huge investment from VW India. They only have to assemble the car from ready kits.

3. The next-gen Jetta is built on the MQB platform which is supposed to be lighter & cheaper .

4. VW India desperately needs new models and the Jetta is the easiest way to get there (CKD).

I'm 100% sure the next-gen Jetta will come to India. But knowing how slow VW India is, it'll be sometime after the international launch.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2016 at 11:20.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

So it was with a bit of surprise that I saw the Autocar India site leading with this story today: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-402684.aspx

It's a bit of a bummer to see the Jetta going the way of the Civic by being taken off the store shelves (for slightly different reasons, of course). The hunt for those looking for an engaging, well-built and reasonably reliable car from the D1 segment just got that bit tougher, it's sad to see Economobiles ruling the roost.

If and when the Jetta goes, where's the fun factor for enthusiasts shopping in that segment? The Cruze is due a refresh, but it doesn't have the all-round credentials of the Jetta, and the Octavia seems the only option, but Skoda's after-sales has quite the reputation. The Indian car market will be poorer without the Jetta.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2016 at 13:25. Reason: The thread is right here! :)
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hope this to be a rumour as VW will be left with Polo/Vento if they take out Jetta from their line up.
Was planning to buy Jetta upon my return to India next year as I loved driving Jetta here in Ireland. Jetta is famous here for build quality, handling, braking and fuel efficiency including decent performance with 1.6 and 2.0 TDI engines.

Next gen Jetta looks killer IMO and is definitely worth it if they increase price by a lakh or two.
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

If this happens, Jetta will be well on its way to become one of the cult following cars of yesteryear, just like Civic and 1st gen City are/were. After all, we don't have as many well rounded products across any segments.

I don't this will happen for the reasons mentioned by GTO above. Seems to be a case of poorly informed, half baked article.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 2nd August 2016 at 16:13.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A top VW exec has this to say, as per my telephonic convo with him:

Quote:
The Jetta continues to be an integral part of Volkswagen's plans, and will be even more so in it's next-gen model. We are confident of the Jetta's strong showing in the segment it operates in, and together with the Tiguan SUV, will be our crucial representations in the sub-25 lakh segment. You can rest assured that the new generation Jetta will also be brought to India when the time is deemed right.
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:05   #7
BHPian

I pray so :( I read the same article in this month's ACI and I was left ruing the fact that I am not yet ready to shop for Jetta this year and it will not be there next year.

If it is a bogus story, how is ACI carrying it considering I would expect them to do a basic check with VW India officials?
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
If it is a bogus story, how is ACI carrying it considering I would expect them to do a basic check with VW India officials?
Yes one would expect Autocar India to be careful and double check before coming out with something as important as this.
For the sake of Jetta fans I hope this is not true.
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:13   #9
BHPian

Hope they continue with the car. Its a nice car, straddling a segment in which the options anyway are very limited.

It would be great, if they launch 1.8 or the 2.0 litre petrol engined version.
Strella is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:55   #10
BHPian

When will VW learn that customers buy not just the hardware, but "peace of mind" and the promise of a service experience along with it. Ask Toyota- they sell their overpriced Camry well enough- don't they?

Unless VW get their basics right, NO model will be a wild seller- not their budget models (the jury is out on the Ameo though- let's see) and definitely not their higher priced models, where customers don't want to spend money AND inherit headaches and uncertainties to go with it.

Discontinuing the model will be the death-knell. The re-sale value of existing cars will drop, parts will become increasingly more difficult (and expensive) to come by etc. Somewhat unrelated, but Honda may find it difficult to sell their "re-launched" Civic for the same reason.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:58   #11
BHPian

I hope this is not true. This will be a killer blow to the executive sedan segment where sales are already under strain because of the sudden influx of soft roader SUV's. If Jetta is withdrawn all Indians would be left with under equipped Corolla and Octavia with nightmare ASS. The news of relaunch of civic and 2016 Elantra along with new Cruze was spicing up some interest in the segment and if this news turns out to be true it sure will dampen the spirits of the car buyers.
Old 13th August 2016, 16:44   #12
BHPian

VW Jetta to be discontinued in India.

Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India-jetta.jpg

Quote:
The next generation Jetta, which is yet to make its official debut, will not be sold in the Indian market. German automaker Volkswagen has decided not to bring the next generation Jetta and the current sedan will be sold in India till stock runs out. The reason stated for this is the apparent high cost of the 2017 model compared to the current Jetta, which indeed retails at a relatively higher price point.

The insatiable appetite of Indians for SUVs and MPVs has also played a vital role in the slow death of this segment.

If we dive into the numbers as well, the current generation Jetta isn't rolling out of showrooms as fast as its rivals. Volkswagen sold 1,940 units of the Jetta last year. By contrast, the Toyota Corolla Altis, its primary competitor, managed to clock 6,506 units while Skoda, which is also under the Volkswagen Group, also managed to retail the Octavia more than the Jetta by selling a total of 2,675 units in the same time period.
Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India-jetta-2.1.jpg

Rumour: Volkswagen NOT to bring next-gen Jetta to India-jetta-2.jpg

Source

Last edited by johannskaria : 13th August 2016 at 17:10.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 17:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta to be discontinued in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I still feel VW could have sold more numbers of Jetta, if they would have created and managed the brand perception properly. The similarity of looks to the Vento is a downside but the non-flashy timeless styling (along with solid build quality) should have appealed to the business class and top executive class.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 17:40   #14
BHPian

I feel the looks of Jetta is so out dated compared to the new Verna (Fluidic) Elantra, New City, Civic, Corolla Altis. It looks just a like a bigger Vento and of course it does not justify its price. VW also could not create a good dealer base still in most cities. Last but not the least the SUVs, MPVs, TUVs and Cross Overs have taken the public imagination by a storm. The higher segment of luxury sedan is loosing the race in Indian Roads. No wonder, I do not remember when I last time saw a Jetta on road
Old 13th August 2016, 19:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Honestly speaking, 1940 units sold compared to the Octavia's 2675 units, doesn't seem too bad to me. Infact it looks quite good. The Jetta was under-equipped when compared to the top of the line Laura L&K, yet was always priced very high. To top it off, it is a full generation older than the current Octavia and if it sells more than half of what the Otavia does, being smaller and more under-equipped, there clearly is a distinct customer base for this over-priced bland looking executive sedan from VolksWagen. Heck the car even enjoys a higher resale value than the Skodas. If that isn't a clear indicator then I don't know what is.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th August 2016 at 19:43.
IshaanIan is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks