Team-BHP - BMW 520d M-Sport launched at Rs 54 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BMW 520d M-Sport launched at Rs 54 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178659-bmw-520d-m-sport-launched-rs-54-lakh.html)

BMW has launched the BMW 520d M Sport in India, priced at Rs 54 lakh (all India ex-showroom). The 520d M Sport is essentially an affordable version of the 5-series M Sport variant, earlier available only in the top-spec 530d M Sport.

The model is to be locally built at BMW’s plant in Chennai, and continues to be powered by the same 190hp 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel engine as the standard 520d. The engine is mated to an eight-speed automatic gearbox that is available with steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters. The manufacturer claims the car can go from 0-100kph in 7.7 seconds and has a top speed of 233kph.

Feature list

1) M aerodynamics package as standard, including 18-inch M light alloys with a double-spoke design

2) Side skirts

3) Sport bumpers

4) Exhaust pipe finishers in Dark Chrome, and diffuser finished in Dark Shadow metallic.

5) Adaptive LED headlights

6) Electrically adjustable sports front seats

7) Leather upholstery

8) M multifunction steering wheel

9) Aluminium hexagon interior trim strip and BMW Individual headliner Anthracite

10) Auto Start-Stop

11) ECO PRO modes (ECO PRO, Comfort, Sport)

12) Brake-Energy Regeneration

13) 50:50 Weight Distribution

14) Multi function instrument display

15) BMW iDrive with 10-inch colour display and Navigation system Professional with 3D maps

16) Park Distance Control

17) Rearview camera and connectivity through Bluetooth and USB devices.

18) Six airbags

19) Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

20) Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)

21) Cornering Brake Control (CBC)

22) Hill Descent Control (HDC)

23) Side-impact protection

24) Electronic vehicle immobiliser

25) Emergency spare wheel and a crash sensor

Article: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-402691.aspx

At a time when entry level cars like the 3, A4 and specially the new C class are touching 40+ L ex-showroom, I think this is a wonderfully priced car for what it offers. How much is the regular 520d retailing for these days?

Woah !

1st the petrols coming back as CBU's & now this, seems BMW India is on a roll :thumbs up

This is a car ideal for people who want looks and are not hardcore enthusiast, and offered at decent pricing too.

Specially with the new B47 engine the 520d is not what we call SLOW by any means, superb offering :thumbs up

Well this is the last year for the F10, so I'm not surprised this has come out. BMW seems to really load up its cars with features in the last year of its lifelol:

Nonetheless its a good offering for many who couldn't spent on the 6 cylinder or those who didn't have the need for it.

We are definitely seeing changes made by the new head of BMW India.

A sign of things to come? Bmw may be dropping the 6 cylinder in the next generation, and this version is the easiest way to get rid of the M kits that were exclusive to the slower selling 530d. Great way to profit from the last year of production. I think we'll be seeing only 4 cylinder versions in the 5 series in the future.

530d owners are a lucky bunch.

Well, I have a little divergent view.

I think there are many potential buyers who would have preferred the more powerful 6 cylinder engine with less features rather than the many more features the 520d M sport version offers. After all it is more show than go.

A stripped down version with the 3 litre engine would have been a far more tempting proposition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avira_tk (Post 4027350)
A sign of things to come? Bmw may be dropping the 6 cylinder in the next generation, and this version is the easiest way to get rid of the M kits that were exclusive to the slower selling 530d. Great way to profit from the last year of production. I think we'll be seeing only 4 cylinder versions in the 5 series in the future.

530d owners are a lucky bunch.

You mean to say the six cylinder will be dropped from the Indian market?

As I read the following on one of the BMW blog about their possible strategy for the US market:

According to one of our sources inside Munich, BMW will bring only one diesel variant to the US once the BMW G30 5 Series comes out. In January, at the Detroit Auto Show, BMW will be taking the veils off its latest iteration of the legendary model. This will mark a new beginning and it will challenge the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class to a proper dog fight. Unfortunately, in the US, those loving high mpg figures and wide torque bands will be restricted to only one engine: the BMW 540d xDrive.

The new model will be using the new-age 3-liter straight-six B57 engine that is currently available only on the BMW 740d. Fitted with two turbochargers, it has 320 HP and 680 Nm (501 lb-ft) of torque at its disposal, a big improvement over the outgoing 535d model that has only 258 HP. Since the 740d xDrive can accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 5.2 seconds from standstill and the 540d is expected to be lighter, the new mid-size sedan should be dangerously close to the 5-second mark.

Link: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/15/bm...one-diesel-us/

Quote:

BMW seems to really load up its cars with features in the last year of its life
I don't think we are going to get the new one before 2018. Given the way BMW operates here, we can expect some great discounting around festival or year end depending how Mercedes prices E class. No one is going to buy this @ 54 with new E-Class expected soon.I agree most of the manufacturers spruce up their models and load up with gizmos in final years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnS_12 (Post 4027372)
You mean to say the six cylinder will be dropped fro the Indian market?

As I read the following on one of the BMW blog about their possible strategy for the US market:

Link: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/15/bm...one-diesel-us/

BMW 's number system puts all odd number cars as sensible ones and the even number ones as lifestyle /performance type (not my conclusion, got it from carfection on YouTube). India gets the odd number series and the focus will be on numbers, enthusiasts be damned. The 535d engine you refer to is the 30d elsewhere, only in the US it was rebadged as bigger numbers help sales.

The 530d didn't sell well, if you see gto's thread, majority of the used cars are 20d versions, buyers want the badge and bmw is happy to oblige. The 2 series represents the brand more than any other car, the 6gc is the one to go for at the other end of the spectrum. The 530d is a great product, and its pricing is premium to maintain exclusivity, bmw didn't dilute that, that said, the 520d satisfies the majority, bmw is a business not an artisanal tuner shop, they have to concentrate on the products that bring in the numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnS_12 (Post 4027177)
The model is to be locally built at BMW’s plant in Chennai, and continues to be powered by the same 190hp 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel engine as the standard 520d.

Hey, thanks for that detailed information.
Just to mention, none of these 3 and 5 series ( 2-litre and 3-litre engines) have 2 turbos. They have 1 turbocharger but BMW calls is a TwinPower Turbo. This is like a marketing gimmick for these engines wherein even the BMW sales guys call these cars Twin Turbos (thanks to the numerous threads over here, I think I am using the very same line lol:)
This in actual is a twin-scroll turbo engine. (Refer picture)
Also, BMW uses the same words for their engines which does have 2 turbos as well.

" The name “TwinPower Turbo” has confused many people as to what lies under the bonnet of their BMWs. That’s because the name describes both single twin-scroll and twin-turbo engines, despite what the name might suggest. "

Either ways, thanks for that post :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal (Post 4027488)
Just to mention, none of these 3 and 5 series ( 2-litre and 3-litre engines) have 2 turbos. They have 1 turbocharger but BMW calls is a TwinPower Turbo. This is like a marketing gimmick for these engines wherein even the BMW sales guys call these cars Twin Turbos (thanks to the numerous threads over here, I think I am using the very same line lol:)
This in actual is a twin-scroll turbo engine. (Refer picture)
Also, BMW uses the same words for their engines which does have 2 turbos as well.

" The name “TwinPower Turbo” has confused many people as to what lies under the bonnet of their BMWs. That’s because the name describes both single twin-scroll and twin-turbo engines, despite what the name might suggest. "

He, thanks. I never knew about that, as I never went into such great details into the engines of the 3 and 5 series. But, I guess many people should be happy to know that its got only 1 turbo, as that means one less part to worry about on a very expensive car lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4027245)
At a time when entry level cars like the 3, A4 and specially the new C class are touching 40+ L ex-showroom, I think this is a wonderfully priced car for what it offers. How much is the regular 520d retailing for these days?

Yes, it is a good offer from BMW.
The regular 520d is for around 48 L OTR (give or take 2 L).

I was in a BMW dealership last Saturday, and coincidentally, saw an M Sport kitted 520d. Upon asking, sales advisor informed me that its just being launched, and here is the news.

Had taken a good look at the car, one cannot differentiate it from 530d at all. The particular car was with beige interiors, and that Silver Hexagonal trim was not matching well in my opinion. It will be better matching an all black interior. Rest other things including the M steering, HUD, digital instrument cluster, bigger i-drive screen, sports seats, what seemed to me as beefier brake disks, M wheels, staggered tyres, styling kit, black accents, all was present there! Its roughly about 60L on road Ahmedabad.

The advisor informed me that BMW is also going to launch X3 with a petrol heart, no signs of 328i or 330i coming back, and they just cannot sell the 530d anymore, hence the upgraded 520d at a much cheaper price point. 530d is 75L on road Ahmedabad.
The prestige variant is also discontinued. Now there are only 3 variants, 520d Luxury, M Sport, and 530d M Sport, plus the 520i Luxury.

They might be ready to offer good discounts on all 3.0 models.

As a 530d owner, I don't agree with this kit being given to the 520d. The M-Sport kit was the only visual differentiator that the 6-cylinder car had.

However, as a businessman, I agree with the move. The 2 liter diesel makes a lot of sense for a majority of customers who want a variant that's significantly cheaper, quick (not F-A-S-T), offers better fuel economy and has lower maintenance costs. They can now buy a great looking 5-Series for a more attainable price.

Maybe BMW was sitting on a lot of kits as the overpriced 530d just doesn't move off showroom floors. What better channel to utilize those kits?

One of the only ways now of distinguishing a 530d M-Sport is the set of rear entertainment screens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avira_tk (Post 4027350)
A sign of things to come? Bmw may be dropping the 6 cylinder in the next generation

I don't think they will. The 6-cylinder adds to the 'image' of the car and its anyway used in the 7-Series, thus reducing BMW's costs.

Now I wish BMW gave the 530d with the Hexagon Aluminium Trim as the Wood trim looks really outta place in an "almost" sports Sedan IMO.
I'd gladly swap it out if I can.