Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 12:19   #91
BHPian

Any idea if the Urban Cross can fit AT tyres.
I have recently moved and the roads over here are pretty bad, going from potholed to virtually nonexistent with lots of stones where one has to drive slowly and carefully.
I currently drive a 2002 Fiat Palio and if not for the roads, I wouldn't have considered replacing it yet.
The Punto Avventura/UC is also known to have a better suspension setup for bad roads, which is all we have over here.
If I can't find AT tyres that can fit the UC, I will be inclined to look for a used Grand Vitara/Honda CRV/ Renault Duster. I do feel inclined towards buying the UC as I had fell in love with it when I saw it at the Auto Expo and that Abarth engine is just an icing on the cake.
Old 30th September 2016, 16:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

The Urban Cross brochure mentions the vehicle's ground clearance at 151mm, which, a-h-e-m, leans more towards the "urban" side of things!
Before you get "cross" , let's assume it to be a typo, the good ole' "copy-paste" monster from an Abarth Punto excel sheet which has more or less the same ground clearance values
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-spec.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fiat_Urban_Cross Brochure_2016 SEPTEMBER.pdf (931.8 KB, 1104 views)
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 20:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The Urban Cross brochure mentions the vehicle's ground clearance at 151mm, which, a-h-e-m, leans more towards the "urban" side of things!
Before you get "cross" , let's assume it to be a typo, the good ole' "copy-paste" monster from an Abarth Punto excel sheet which has more or less the same ground clearance values
This is funny.

But wondering from where did they get the 156mm GC for the Diesel version. None of the other Fiat vehicles have this GC.
Old 1st October 2016, 14:48   #94
Lij
BHPian

Got a call from Sky Moto regarding a launch event today at around 4:30pm for the Urban Cross at their showroom.

I inquired about the prices for various variants and attached below is the price list sent by their sales representative and as per him except for red all other are premium colours.

Premium red interiors cost an additional 25k.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-img20161001wa0008.jpg  

Last edited by Lij : 1st October 2016 at 14:54.
Lij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 11:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The Avventura Urban Cross in Magnesio Grey:

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-14522761_1210903242314167_8075635632469062315_n.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-14444971_1210903272314164_6636974332978302875_o.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-14542446_1210903245647500_6274701366121512308_o.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-14500301_1210903338980824_2094943001460201824_o.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 12:51   #96
BHPian

Urban Cross looks great and aggressive pricing. For the reasons unknown, they didn't released Diesel Emotion variant. Or at-least they should have offered airbags as an option in Dynamic variant. I think that's a missed opportunity, otherwise a great deal.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 07:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Any idea if the Urban Cross can fit AT tyres.
I have recently moved and the roads over here are pretty bad, going from potholed to virtually nonexistent with lots of stones where one has to drive slowly and carefully.
You will spoil the Fiat' ride and handling on the road if you can find and fit AT tyres. So, don't do it. Instead get some tough tyres like Bridgestone.

But if you are not comfortable with that thought owing to the condition of the roads there, you might be better off with a proper UV.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 07:07   #98
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
From the images, it does not appear to be discs all round. Fiat India have not highlighted this as well on their website or brochure.

The stopping power from the disc drum combination should be good. However; with a 140hp motor, it would have been nice to have an all disc set up. It is the way forward.
The vehicle looks good. This is what most people in the car buying world in India want. Form over Function.

I would also, like you, say that a car that develops 140BHP is deserving of a 4 disc brake set up for sure.

Personally, while this car looks mean and attractive, I would not consider buying one - the rear is too cramped for most tall people and the sloping roofline doesn't make it any easier.

The luggage space in the back is also quite severely constrained. Hence this is a great vehicle for a young couple with perhaps one or two small kids. No more.

Even a tall dog would not find it comfortable in the back, so it is ruled out as a potential pet transportation medium as well!

End of the day one is paying almost 10 lacs for a bit of a poser vehicle.

Though I love Fiat's solid build and feel, they need to do a great deal about their servicing and spread, to install confidence in buyers.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 11:03   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
From the images, it does not appear to be discs all round. Fiat India have not highlighted this as well on their website or brochure.

The stopping power from the disc drum combination should be good. However; with a 140hp motor, it would have been nice to have an all disc set up. It is the way forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would also, like you, say that a car that develops 140BHP is deserving of a 4 disc brake set up for sure.
Urban Cross T-Jet powered Abarth does have 4 disc brakes. The Diesel version has front discs and rear drum. The brochure released by Fiat clearly says that.

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-uc-spec.png

Last edited by rameshnanda : 8th October 2016 at 11:07.
rameshnanda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 18:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is funny.

But wondering from where did they get the 156mm GC for the Diesel version. None of the other Fiat vehicles have this GC.
The ground clearance mentioned is of a laden car i.e. with 3 adults and tank full of fuel. I guess this is normal practice in Europe to mention the GC of laden car. Skoda used to do that too in the past dont know if they continue to do it or not.
Old 17th October 2016, 09:09   #101
BHPian

The diesel dynamic variant seems to miss even the rear wipers . The diesel also doesnt have Airbags, auto AC and several other features.

I loved the avventura but the spare wheel set up was a bit annoying. I thought Fiat fixed that with the urban cross. But trust them to find new ways to mess with their otherwise great cars - No top end on the diesel!

It sounds stupid to spend nearly a million rupees (in bangalore) without ultra basic features like a rear wiper or airbags. The active variant which is above 8 lacs onroad doesnt even come with rear power windows.

A great looking car again botched up by Fiat.

Last edited by veyron_head : 17th October 2016 at 09:28.
Old 17th October 2016, 13:48   #102
BHPian

Yes, strange indeed: no Emotion variant for the non-t-jet-by Abarth. For the diesel.

I suppose they want to ensure they don't just fully cannibalize the Punto Evo diesel emotion sales, such as they are? Maybe? That's what happens when you have too many derivatives of the same basic car, especially in a market like India that happily cross-shops across segments/styling/etc, based on price.

Well at least the pricing is fair and honest too, relative to what is and what is-not offered. Not that the dominant sellers in the 4m Cross-over segment aren't worth it too, for most, perhaps?

PS: and NOT that this Fiat iteration can or will sell well either. They will have to take a call on calling it quits, finally, as far as the FIAT brand in India goes: soon. There's little financial/business point in iterating the same cars evermore, great though the Abarth variants are as additions to our market. And arguably, even less point in the large and imo hyper-risky investments required for all-new models/platforms? They have other strings/options in their business and brand portfolio, after all, for India and their Indian factory, that make better business sense in the future, no?
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 16:48   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Yes, strange indeed: ......

that make better business sense in the future, no?
Hey, welcome back! The nth homecoming now?

Strange business sense indeed: at least the Punto pure case! Whatever parts and spares inventory was audited up, from the pre Evo production stock, didn't go well with the management! Heck, no decent manufacturer will make a mould and supply the parts for less than a several thousand units in a batch.

Huge pile up of headlights, bumpers, bonnet shells, rear lights etc., where do they go?

You don't hear of many Punto accidents either, to feed the replacement market. Result : huge unused inventory; locked cash, locked space, anti LEAN, totally!

BANG: Make it Pure, make the Punto, pure! Or whatever.

Now you say, they are going to initiate the beginning of the end. With typically 9000 cars each year over, last 7 years, that is ~65k Puntos and Lineas on road. Mostly older generation.

They should release the unused parts stock in the Kashmere Gate type open parts market. We survive! The consumers.

We were a self help group anyways!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 17th October 2016 at 16:49.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:13   #104
BHPian

It wouldn't necessarily be traumatic for (most?) current FIAT owners: they already have many more service centres, several third-party, non-current-or-former dealer, official aftersales workshops (of whatever quality, which is to say maybe passable on average?) in many places, than they do dealers+the latter's ASS centres. Including the pretty ok one here in Gurgaon (no dealer, though, anymore!)

It's such a scale dependent business, especially for the dealers and for aftersales. Dealer sheer-unviability-and-unsustainability is THE crisis facing several brands these days, in India, not just FIAT, though the FIAT ones are surely (among) the worst-off. Whoever's to blame: that's the 'situation', by now.

Whether FIAT is pulled from the mass market or not (in the latter case it would share 'combined' dealers with JEEP presumably, and fairly fewer than the already low-ish number?):

FAR greater reliance on third-party yet 'official' (somehow) service centres, perhaps smaller, shared-across-other-brands and on cheaper real estate etc, would seem essential for the destined to be small-selling car brands, IF some-minimum scale economies and yet wide-ish geographical coverage have to be attained/retained? Alongwith, as you suggest, wide open-market and internet-based spares availability/sales.

It's a tough business in India, and imo FCA may/likely-does have other priorities, such as localized JEEPs and their export, engines, engine+transmission exports etc, out-of India rather than their repeated grief-taking, and sometimes grief-giving, via FIAT? Besides, they have a 'harder budget constraint' than some others, esp in and for India/Asia (ex-China), it seems. They're de-emphasizing FIAT globally, other than core markets, and other than the Fiat Professional uv-s and vans business, after all, these days: Europe+LatAm+Turkey only pretty much, favouring the other better-margin brands instead.

Let's see what they decide, IF they have not already?! Am betting no more FIAT, yes Abarth (cbu?), yes Jeep, exports, and whatever other brand(s) at a later point: within the next 2/3 years?

@lapis_lazuli

Last edited by desdemona : 17th October 2016 at 18:14. Reason: addition
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 07:58   #105
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: DO NOT TROLL on Team-BHP. Do NOT POST in a negative manner on Team-BHP. Do NOT attempt to unnecessarily incite fights & debates.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2016 at 21:37.
shashanka is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks