Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

Fiat India is reportedly planning to introduce the Urban Cross in the month of September 2016. This will mark the second adventure-themed version of the Punto hatchback, after the Fiat Avventura.

The Urban Cross was showcased at this year's Auto Expo in Greater Noida. It is based on the Fiat Avventura Crossover, though significant design tweaks have been added to differentiate the two models. The most prominent difference is the absence of the rear mounted spare wheel on the Urban Cross.

Additionally, the Urban Cross gets a new grille, redesigned headlamp clusters with LED inserts, and LED taillights. Other features on offer with the car showcased at the Auto Expo included 17-inch alloy wheels, silver roof rails and a touchscreen infotainment system with navigational support. It remains to be seen what all features Fiat carries forward in the model when it is launched.

Powering the Fiat Urban Cross would be a 1.4-litre T-Jet turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that churns out 138 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 210 Nm of torque @ 2,000-4,000 rpm. This engine will be mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Source: Car and Bike

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-13.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 2nd August 2016 at 18:52.
dZired is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

Unless they change the white body, for every second person it is just a Punto which is now dated and old.

I personally appreciate FIAT products yet without any line-up of cars, increased dealership and improvement in after sales, their cars are not going anywhere. I can buy a - Pure, Punto, Aventura, Abarth and now Urban Cross.

With this car again they will have a problem in pricing, Linea with 125 bhp and Urban Cross hatch with 138 bhp; it will be dangerously close. The driving experience will be very similar as Linea is reasonably powerful, why should one buy a hatch if a sedan is available within the same price band, better leg room (rear), AC vents (rear), a big boot, cruse control, auto headlamp and rain sensor !

Also, just for information, the new AVN unit is based on blue & me or is this some Chinese stuff added by FIAT?

I went to Kashyap Fiat the other day and saw thisunit, there is just AVN and no rear camera for which one has to get the wiring done and drill a hole in bumper ! When will FIAT learn !

Last edited by i74js : 2nd August 2016 at 19:37.
i74js is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:02   #3
BHPian

If they can retain the look of the one showcased at the Auto Expo, no one will even consider the Abarth Punto. That car had everything perfect viz. the color, cool looking lights, that awesome looking grill and those beautiful alloy wheels. I wouldn't change anything on that car, it was that good.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:15   #4
BHPian

re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

What is wrong with Fiat!? I think they should immediately launch AT on Punto, Linea range and price it very aggressively. It is funny to see Maruti Suzuki using Fiat's AMT and everyone trying to jump into AMT space, while Fiat is completely ignoring it. It seems like Maruti Suzuki has got Fiat to sign some kind of legal contract to not to use AMT in their range! Punto with AMT was launched in Indonesia in July 2014 (yes 2014) and it is nowhere near in India. Fiat India is a joke!

Link

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2016 at 15:17. Reason: MS = Maruti Suzuki
purohitanuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
What is wrong with Fiat!? I think they should immediately launch AT on Punto, Linea range and price it very aggressively.
You are right. They should have done that long back. Even then it is not that there would have been a drastic increase in sales. Moreover there still will be people who will curse Fiat for using an AMT instead of something like CVT or DSG.

Not trying to defend Fiat here but if a company sees more profit in selling their AMT than they would make by putting it in their cars, their choice will be obvious.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
Not trying to defend Fiat here but if a company sees more profit in selling their AMT than they would make by putting it in their cars, their choice will be obvious.
My point is that MS/Tata can procure AMT from Fiat and, in parallel, Fiat should launch AMT in their range. They should also advertise that Maruti and Tata uses their engines and AMT and showcase some (serious) accidents with customer testimony showing off their build quality.

This should change Fiat's perception in Indian market and should definitely increase their sales many folds.

General public is not aware of the fact that DDISs and Quadrajets are multi-jet from Fiat. They should portray their image as "Experts".
Old 3rd August 2016, 17:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Unless they change the white body
Well, just like Fiat, VW is also stuck with the old Polo & Vento. They were launched not too far away from the Punto.

Because both these European car makers are saddled with old cars - and the replacements aren't in sight - they keep bringing out different variants, body styles, engines etc. Basically, squeeze the lemon all you can.

VW has been more successful with its many different engine & transmission options, while Fiat just hasn't been able to move the metal. VW's image played in its favour, while Fiat's works against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
They should also advertise that Maruti and Tata uses their engines and AMT and showcase some (serious) accidents with customer testimony showing off their build quality.
The patient is on the ventilator and you're asking for a blood-sugar test.

Buddy, no amount of ads are going to do anything. The Punto & Linea are simply too old and no one cares about them anymore. From the time that they were launched, we've seen about 75 (or more??) newer hatchbacks / sedans / compact SUVs in the volume segment.

No point throwing good money after bad. Fiat needs fresh, relevant, competent cars to survive in India. But Sergio Marchionne is slowing down the development of compact cars in favour of bigger vehicles.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 17:59   #8
BHPian

No amount of this cosmetic make ups is going to help. They are still not addressing the fundamental problems with FIAT cars in India. Underwhelming engine (diesel), rubbery gearbox, poor space utilization and a decade old exterior design.

Also, owners would agree, it is a nightmare to sell FIATs. At least the company can try to retain the existing owners by giving them attractive exchange options. I for one wouldn't have mind to exchange my 2012 MJD to a facelifted T-Jet. But the buy back price quoted by the showroom itself turned me away. So unless FIAT does something drastically different, it is going to remain an engine supplier who also makes cars in the Indian context, that too not for long....
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 18:59   #9
BHPian

if productive ads are not going to help then launch a destructive campaign. Stop supplying engines to maruti. Or take them to court and tell them that Maruti Suzuki and Tata are not supposed to use their engines. Then when the customer bookings are huge at both these companies. Launch an advertisement campaign vigorously in all the media that Maruti Suzuki and Tata are not capable of giving such excellent engines. Offer discounts and guarantee service costs. Publish the cost of spares all over and over the counter sale of spares just as Ford is doing. Inform the public that if the customer produces a valid booking recipt of Maruti-Diesel car, then he gets an additional discount. Show the public the build quality of Maruti VS Fiats.

And if all these fail then as in politics there are no permanent enemies, similarly, in business there are no permanent enemies.Go walk the ramp together and start supplying engines all over again.

Last edited by su1978 : 3rd August 2016 at 18:59. Reason: changes in post
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
those beautiful alloy wheels.
The alloys were like a flower! . If anything, urban cross would only be known as the feminine version of the Avventura.

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-20.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buddy, no amount of ads are going to do anything. The Punto & Linea are simply too old and no one cares about them anymore.
Agreed. I doubt fresh products would help much either, but that is the only once chance they have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But Sergio Marchionne is slowing down the development of compact cars in favour of bigger vehicles.
They have many relevant products fresh after development. There is a new compact A segment crossover for Brazil that is squarely aimed at the Kwid, there is the Aegea sedan which could replace the Linea, and there is the Toro SUV under development (render below) which could take on the likes of XUV 5OO.

There real problem is that none of these products will make it to our market on time.

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-unnamed.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-38a75409212a478c4817accf8c7d7a8c.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-images-1.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2016 at 20:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 03:25   #11
BHPian

I would possibly be in market looking for a third car around Diwali. Choice will be between

1. 125S
2. Avventura Abarth
3. UC.

Which one will finally breast the tape will depend upon pricing.
Anything other than Fiat -- sorry not in consideration as of now. Have a MY 2014 (Pre face lift T-Jet) and won't mind yet another T-Jet in family

Why? Because any critic of FIAT who has been a co passenger oin T-Jet only had praise. Touchscreen etc a driver doesn't care for when focused on road ahead. Want to buy a car and not white good sold as car

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, UC) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by SDP : 4th August 2016 at 06:18. Reason: Please see inline note
Old 4th August 2016, 06:41   #12
BHPian

Can you pl explain what MB GLA mean in following post and do same rules apply there too or is it something related to Fiat only posts?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3900890

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th August 2016 at 12:53. Reason: Removing unnecessary quote
rusticnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 06:55   #13
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticnomad View Post
Can you pl explain what MB GLA mean in following post and do same rules apply there too or is it something related to Fiat only posts?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3900890
1. If you find a problem with somebody else's post where a TeamBHP rule has been violated, please report the post and the violation would get addressed.

2. Just because there is a similar violation at some other place does not mean its OK to do the same in other threads/posts.

3. This is not about 'Fiat only posts'. Don't try to paint it that way.

4. Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 4th August 2016 at 07:00.
SDP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 08:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

I see that Fiat is stuck with an old platform here in India, and is trying to somehow make profit with that. I cant find a better logic to explain Punto Pure, Punto Evo, Linea Classic, Linea 125S, Avventura, Abarth sisters and now the Urban Cross. If I were heading Fiat, I would have pushed for a mini SUV - a good recipe to start with. A Fiat 500-X could have been pitted against the Creta, with the time and effort they are spending on the Punto based crossovers. I am a fan of Fiat cars, and really like their solid build and dynamic accomplishments. Even then, the Punto is a decade old platform, move on FIAT
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
If I were heading Fiat, I would have pushed for a mini SUV - a good recipe to start with. A Fiat 500-X could have been pitted against the Creta, with the time and effort they are spending on the Punto based crossovers
It is not encouraging to see the current Fiat lineup in India from a customer perspective. It has become kind of a chicken or egg first kind of situation. Their cars do not sell due to brand value, less options to choose from, perceived poor after sales service etc. Because of that they are hesitant to bring in new cars (read investment). Not sure which of the above situation will change the other.

Fiat as a company will be driven by profits. As of now they see that in supplying engines and AMT. Selling cars surely does not seem priority to them.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks