Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 10:09   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupgangwar View Post
My drive was limited to around 20 minutes as the TD vehicle (4x4 AT) was scheduled to be taken somewhere else, so, could only drive it on the nice roads. The ride quality has definitely improved a lot, however, the engine is noisy. This will be felt every time you try to overtake or build up speed. Not sure if the AT gearbox *learns* and adapts to the driving style but it was taking a bit to respond. May be it is the weight of the vehicle or it is tuned that way.
After the 3rd service at 10000KM with oil and filter change there will be a reduction in engine noise as per my experience in the Crysta 2.8 and AT gearbox does adapt to the driving style.

Fortuner 4WD AT uses the 4WD variant of the autotransmission found in the Crysta AT and the Fortuner 2WD AT.

Fortuner 4WD AT = Aisin AC60F
Fortuner 2WD AT & Crysta AT = Aisin AC60E
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 10:43   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I don't think we will miss the differential lock.
Check out this section of Motoroids review

Name:  m r.png
Views: 6393
Size:  342.6 KB

^ They have reported there is rear diff lock

Last edited by karan561 : 15th November 2016 at 10:56.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 10:58   #288
BHPian

https://www.cartrade.com/toyota-cars...ws/206744.html

I just went through the CarTrade Review and he is tending towards the Endeavour.

I choose not to be biased out here but I do feel that the Terrain Response System is better here since it has dedicated set of settings for each terrain / surface. The only downside is sometimes certain permutations don't work.

The A Trac in the Fortuner is a great system by itself and the option of a 2WD on normal roads improves the overall efficiency. I should be getting a TD by next week alongwith a couple of prospective buyers to ascertain which is better overall

I can't wait for the Comparisons by various experts as we would have varying verdicts - maybe mind saying Fortuner, heart saying Endeavour
kimianks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 12:02   #289
BHPian

I have the first gen Fortuner 4WD.
Can some one compare between the 4x4 system of first gen fortuner vs new fortuner vs new Endeavour.
What i am wanting to know is as compared to the full time 4WD mode with lockable central diff with low range, what system is available in new fortuner and endeavour. Also pros and cons of each.

Thanks
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 16:24   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
What i am wanting to know is as compared to the full time 4WD mode with lockable central diff with low range, what system is available in new fortuner and endeavour. Also pros and cons of each.
Thanks
The advantage the system your Fortuner as well as the New Endevour has is that you have full time 4WD capability on dry surfaces/tarmac.

However, the 4WD system on the new Fortuner cannot be used on-road/dry surfaces and can be used only on slippery conditions since it is missing the center differential. Other than that there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to all three.

Engaging 4WD in the new Fortuner is same is 4High with Center Differential locked in the Old Fortuner & new Endeavour.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 17:27   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
The a/t transmission also works well. I felt it was better than the Ford Endeavour. But only a longer drive can confirm the same.
You mean it is better on offroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Check out this section of Motoroids review

Attachment 1575746

^ They have reported there is rear diff lock
That is a miss a big one, it was clearly mentioned in the presentations that it is the brakes that do the duty of a locking differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
I choose not to be biased out here but I do feel that the Terrain Response System is better here since it has dedicated set of settings for each terrain / surface. The only downside is sometimes certain permutations don't work.
Even i agree and this being a lift from JLR should be quite good too. Especially with an auto box, it is good to have different logics for different terrain.

Quote:
The A Trac in the Fortuner is a great system by itself and the option of a 2WD on normal roads improves the overall efficiency.
This i feel is the biggest advantage, especially in our mileage conscious world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I have the first gen Fortuner 4WD.
Can some one compare between the 4x4 system of first gen fortuner vs new fortuner vs new Endeavour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The advantage the system your Fortuner as well as the New Endevour has is that you have full time 4WD capability on dry surfaces/tarmac.
-----
Engaging 4WD in the new Fortuner is same is 4High with Center Differential locked in the Old Fortuner & new Endeavour.
I guess ^^ this is spot on summary.

As far as pro's are concerned, with older system one had a choice of using 4 wheel drive on tarmac also, whereas new one does not allow. Mechanical locking and no software to over ride, which is useful in some very extreme conditions for hardcore offroaders.

Again this is something which a normal person would never ever encounter or miss.

And yes lesser electronics means less chance of gremlins they say..
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:48   #292
Senior - BHPian

Guys

For those who are looking for a quick comparison of new Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour, you can refer to attached comparison presentation hereby (was shared with a friend by a local Ford dealer).

I hope it can be of some help to you all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf All_New_Endeavour_vs_All_New_Fortuner.pdf (1.26 MB, 1661 views)
Ace F355 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 19:50   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Guys

For those who are looking for a quick comparison of new Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour, you can refer to attached comparison presentation hereby (was shared with a friend by a local Ford dealer).

I hope it can be of some help to you all.
From the brochure it looks like Toyota got nothing when compared to Ford. Would be great if the comparison is on efficiency, power, reliability, cost of spares which will help existing as well as future customers and fans of both the brands.
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:19   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a quick comparison of new Toyota Fortune
Yes, I even saw an internal sheet which FORD has sent to Dealers that carries how much these extra features costs approximately.

Quote:
Would be great if the comparison is on efficiency, power, reliability, cost of spares
I think FORD has priced spares and services sensibly and these should be at par with Toyota as they are benchmarking against Fortuner.

Some of the missing feature on Ford vs Toyota - Push Start / Stop and Smart Entry, Inbuilt Navigation, Cooled Glove Box, Paddle Shifts, Hill Assist Control.

With short drive on the new Fortuner from my initial expressions, overall roll and bounce on Toyota are better than Ford. I have planned a longer drive in a day or so and update in case it happens.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:28   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Some of the missing feature on Ford vs Toyota - Push Start / Stop and Smart Entry, Inbuilt Navigation, Cooled Glove Box, Paddle Shifts, Hill Assist Control.
Actually Hill Launch Assist feature is there in Endeavour as well, works very well too! And I am hearing with the new models, they have updated the infotainment system with Ford SYNC 3 which includes Apple CarPlay and Navigation (which was optional earlier) as well.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:37   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
they have updated the infotainment system with Ford SYNC 3 which includes Apple CarPlay and Navigation (which was optional earlier) as well
Oh Yes, have a look at below thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...e-carplay.html (Ford Endeavour now gets SYNC3, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay)

However It still does not have an Inbuilt Navigation, it's an option not even configurable by the dealer so you send the system to the factory, I was able to connect Android Auto and could use google maps but not Apple. Looks Carplay supports only Maps if at all we are able to connect.

Quote:
Hill Launch Assist feature is there in Endeavour as well
I was not aware since I used to have Trend, Looks this is standard on Titanium- Thanks for correcting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th November 2016 at 20:40.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 21:02   #297
BHPian

I received the Price List of the Toyota Fortuner and just wanted to share it with you all. Prices ex-Mumbai and Neighbouring areas.

4X4 Diesel AT is 2 lakhs more than the 3.2 Titanium Ford Endeavour but its doing numbers.

Current Wait period is 2 months as per Madhuban Toyota ( Mumbai ).

Both SUVs have their fan following but only December would reveal exact units sold
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Fortuner Price List as on 8th Nov (1).xlsx (201.8 KB, 525 views)
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 22:54   #298
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Having lost sleep over the Crysta vs Fortuner, I heard from a fellow BHPian (Sathish) yesterday that Harsha Toyota has a Fortuner for test drive. Thank you Sathish for writing me the detailed mail. Appreciate it very much.

Went to Harsha Toyota today evening to test drive the New Fortuner. The SA assigned was Mr. Asraar, a very nice Gentleman with good knowledge.

I had insisted on Back to Back test drive of the Fortuner vs Innova and it was arranged promptly.

The Fortuner was brought in first for the test drive. Pearl White 4×4 AT. What a sight!!! The car looked absolutely fascinating with the DRL's adding to the good looks. The car has 131 kms on the clock and brand new. This was the first time I was driving a brand new test drive vehicle!

Took it for a longish spin. The car was an absolute breeze to drive and the "Power Mode" brought the monster out. The car just accelerates like crazy and the brakes are extremely good too. I drove the car on long straights, bumper to bumper traffic, crowded streets, tight corners including reverse parallel parking. I feel pretty much at home driving the big Fortuner. The body roll was present but well contained. The paddle shifts sadly were not crisp and up shifting had a big lag.

Climbed down from the Fortuner and hopped into the waiting Innova Crysta. This car had 6980 kms on the clock. The car started with a slight shake and came to life with a thud. Drove the Crysta on almost the same route as the Fortuner. The Innova Crysta was up shifting much faster than the Fortuner and the 360 Nm torque of the engine seemed to be better suit the 6 Speed AT gear box.

The NVH was poorer when compared to the Fortuner. Vibrations and noise from the engine were more audible inside the cabin.

After the drive, I was completely convinced that the Fortuner is the car for me as it seemed to be a better package.

I will go ahead with the booking either with Lanson or with Harsha, based on who gives a better price for my 6 year old Endeavour.

Now the confusing starts on which colour to pick. Probably, I will decide after seeing all shades in flesh. Waiting period is 60 days.

Last edited by MAS : 15th November 2016 at 22:55.
MAS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:02   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
After the 3rd service at 10000KM with oil and filter change there will be a reduction in engine noise as per my experience in the Crysta 2.8 and AT gearbox does adapt to the driving style.
Was going through other reviews today and found the same issue reported in NDTV review as well (see commentary starting 2 mins in the video). How much does the gearbox behavior change?
anupgangwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 22:15   #300
BHPian

I just returned from the Fortuner Boot Camp in Mumbai and I must say Tejas & Co. have done a fabulous job of building a trail to test the Fortuner's capabilities.

My observations :

1) The Absence of A/T Tyres is felt at many places in the Trail. The A-Trac System tries to counteract the Tyre Slippage but the lack of grip from a H/T Tyre does come to the fore.

2) A-Trac System is a fantastic feature but I would still prefer the conventional Rear-lock Differential. However I was very impressed by the composure of the vehicle in the off-road environment.

3) Steering is too heavy and small for my liking. The faux wood on the upper portion doesn't grip well either.

4) Car is big and menacing. Really liked the Black and the Silver. Toyota Rep claimed that the 4X4 is set slightly higher than the 4X2 but I don't think its true.

5) Car feels claustrophobic. The Roof design is a bit weird and its easy for a tall person to hit his head in heavy off-roading

6) 3rd Row is slightly wider and has a recline option which is good. Leg room is at a premium though and best for short drives.

7) I am not a fan of the Zig-Zag Transmission setup, was very confusing for me. I prefer the DSG and the Endeavour Gear layout.

8) Opening a Bonnet is a big problem for a short person. Quite an exercise.

9) On the road, manners are good. There is a bit of body roll. Need to do a proper TD to give a better verdict.

10) There is minimal turbo lag and the gearing is better than the Endeavour. However the Engine is too loud.

11) It would have been nice if Toyota had a similar system to Terrain Response. New Pajero Sport has it. All terrain was tackled in Power Mode and 4X4 Low. One hears a click on initiating 4L and two clicks on switching back to 4H.

12) The Briefing session was very poor.

By itself, Toyota has a winner on its hands. There is nothing this SUV cannot do but throw in the Endeavour and the latter just feels a class apart.

I still feel that a prospective Fortuner buyer must try the Endeavour before zeroing on his purchase. The Endeavour is easily the better SUV with more features and more VFM.

Toyota Reps kept emphasizing how unreliable the Ford is but even the earlier generation has been reliable for many. Cost of Spares almost at par with the Toyota. The Innova has been suffering from issues and niggles too so I am not sure about this being bullet proof.
kimianks is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks