Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 17:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

A SA who went to the new fortuner training told me to expect close to 45 lakhs on-road (bangalore) for the top most spec. He also said (though we already know) that the new fortuner is very different from the outgoing model with a lot of additional features and Toyota will charge a hefty premium for it.

The SAs were also told to highlight the 'cheapest maintenance cost in segment' while talking to prospective customers.

I hope it doesn't touch 45 lakhs on-road here, though with Toyota it might be a possibility!
shashank.nk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 19:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupgangwar View Post
I did hear from the dealership verbally that the highest end Fortuner would be close to 40 Lakhs on-road in Bangalore. Thought the 3.2L 4x4 variant of Endeavour is close to 35 Lakhs on-road, so, the difference is around 5 Lakhs.

Now the confusion is whether to get Endeavour's looks and capabilities vs Fortuner's peace of mind .
A correction. Endeavour 3.2 4x4 AT Titanium is close to 39 OTR Bangalore. So almost 40.

From what I have experienced of Ford (this is my first Ford), the Service levels are almost on par with the industry and a shade more responsive "now". I do not know Toyota service so not qualified to comment but I can safely say that apart from the network breadth, the Ford service is on par with Hyundais and Marutis as I have experienced both. On spares I have had excellent experience wherein some less used parts were shipped in a day from Chennai thus not adding any workshop time. So net net - so far so good.

Does it stand up to what brand Toyota has built - well - long way to go. However, from all the comparisons, the product is superior to Toyota Fortuner but struggles with Brand image in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
A SA who went to the new fortuner training told me to expect close to 45 lakhs on-road (bangalore) for the top most spec. He also said (though we already know) that the new fortuner is very different from the outgoing model with a lot of additional features and Toyota will charge a hefty premium for it.

The SAs were also told to highlight the 'cheapest maintenance cost in segment' while talking to prospective customers.

I hope it doesn't touch 45 lakhs on-road here, though with Toyota it might be a possibility!
45 L seems just right given the 5L premium discussed. Also in comparison with the big-brother Prado, 45 L is fair. Toyota pricing overall lacks logic. Clearly premium pricing over comparable models. However, cheapest maintenance is debatable.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 5th October 2016 at 19:33.
nareshtrao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 23:39   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyotas have a 6 monthly service interval normally, which is a pain. I am not sure of the case with Fortuner. Ford has a 1 year service interval and as an Ecosport owner, I can safely say Ford service has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years.
Old 6th October 2016, 10:01   #94
BHPian

I love Toyotas way of reducing the service cost.
They just increase the price of their cars to give the customer a feeling that even though the car is worth 45 lakhs its service cost is that of a 15 lakh rupees car! But the truth is that the car was not supposed to be a 45 lakh rupees car in the first place.
TKM just increases the price of the car to increase its aspirational value keeping the mechanicals almost identical.
Case in point previous generation Innova and Fortuner. The Innova which I bought in 2010 for 10 lakhs is near identical to the one on sale just before Crysta launch.

And not to mention the 5000km service interval which is a pain for people like me who do 3500km a month. I followed that only for a year after that I service it at 6 months 15,000km. My car has no issues whatsoever, I have only switched to synthetic instead of mineral oil that's it.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 11:26   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, from all the comparisons, the product is superior to Toyota Fortuner but struggles with Brand image in comparison.
We should wait and see complete specifications of the variant they launch in India. Most of the reviews are from Australia, where FORD has priced this against mighty Prado and have highlighted many features ( non-functional for Indian market though) of Everest aka Endeavour over Fortuner. Biggest missing feature on new Fortuner will be sun/panoramic roof though.

I still have a gut feeling, Toyota will launch this close to Titanium price which will be about Rs 2 Lac more than existing variant. I expect an ex-showroom price of Rs 30 Lac New Delhi which should be around 35 Lac on road - Delhi.

For the moment, gone ahead and paid advance last week but will take a final call when I see and drive the vehicle. They are clearly mentioning New Fortuner on booking receipts.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-screen-shot-20161006-11.26.21-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th October 2016 at 11:27.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 15:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

The wait is finally over. The India launch of the vehicle will be on November 7. Better pay up the booking advance immediately. I want a 4X4 version with A/T,
Old 6th October 2016, 16:02   #97
Team-BHP Support

I neither doubt Toyota's pricing greed, nor the faithful buyers' willingness to pay up.

They sold the older gen, barely equipped Innova and Fortuner for a 'fortune' (pun intended) and nobody complained, why the sudden expectation they'll be reasonable? If anything, the success of the new Innova will have made them even more complacent reg. pricing.

People are willing to donate an arm, a leg and a kidney to them, why be satisfied with just picking their pockets?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 17:07   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They sold the older gen, barely equipped Innova and Fortuner for a 'fortune' (pun intended) and nobody complained, why the sudden expectation they'll be reasonable? If anything, the success of the new Innova will have made them even more complacent reg. pricing.
True ! But the SUV segment is not same as before. Atleast there is an alternative for the customers now - Endeavour. I dont think there is any serious competition for Innova in that segment. So pricing based on the Innova success may not work.
Old 6th October 2016, 17:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

I don't quite buy this argument that most people who buy innova/fortuner are goons or people who do not care about price and its associated returns.
There are many bhpians who have decided to put down their hard earned money after making an informed decision of what they get and what they don't.
If there was lesser value for what they are paying, the sales numbers would have been otherwise.
These cars (as with all others) do have their negatives, but also have some stellar positives and unfortunately, there have not been much alternatives/options in the market.

Last edited by starter : 6th October 2016 at 17:14.
starter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 17:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

If it touches anywhere near the 4 in the 40 lakhs, it's just advertising he Endeavour to the people, Toyota must be mad to price it that high when in western countries, Australia for example, the highest version of the new Fortuner costs 30 lakhs on road.
Old 6th October 2016, 17:56   #101
BHPian

I dont think we can blame whomever buying the Toyota / Maruthi vehicles
They may be looking for 'peace of mind' when they buy a vehicle, they just dont want to go to service center every now and then. Or atleast they dont want to take a chance by 'trying' other brands.

None of the other manufatures are trying to get on par with Toyota when it comes to service quality. Most of them are claiming they are trying and it cant be achieved overnight. If it cant be achieved overnight, then i would say try not to loose the reputation atleast !

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2016 at 09:42. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 6th October 2016, 20:27   #102
BHPian

Why do you think we pay through our noses for Toyota vehicles?

Because our life depends on our vehicle NOT falling apart.

Because we need a vehicle that can carry five or six of our sidekicks along in reasonable comfort.

Because we need a vehicle that does not require "plastic bags" to settle service bills in "full cash".

On a side note, I used to take out my Bolero to town in market days because it keeps erratic and lunatic drivers and riders a few feet off me as one is assured to get hurt if he tries to argue with an all metal white Bolero.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2016 at 09:43. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Yeldo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 11:56   #103
BHPian

Apologies, but, I too am one of those, who will pay up for the Fortuner, guess that is why Toyota keeps on increasing the prices. Service costs are not too much of an issue, if, the car goes only for regular servicing. First charging a premium and then advertising the low maintenance cost won't fly with majority of folks shelling out ~45L. The real thing is the peace-of-mind especially on long drives. My Corolla has been one steady cruiser for the last 6-odd years.

How is Ford sales and service in Bangalore and who will be a recommended dealer? The way in which people are cursing some of the Ford dealers on Google reviews, it appears that there is wide variation in service quality. Have not seen this much disparity in comments between Ravindu and Nandi .
anupgangwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 23:23   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
The All New Ford Endeavour with Sun Roof, Electric Folding Third Row Seats, Electric Trunk, Better Space, Dash board and Comfort seems to be such a better value at 29 lakhs Ex Showroom,
I think when they release the prices which might be way above the Endy pricing (going by what they did for the Crysta), we might be surprised at the buyer's perception of value of, say, 35 lacs vs 29 lacs.

Quote:
Just one big If will the Ford Endeavour have the same niggling issues that other Ford siblings have.
Well, the previous Ford Endy was a maintenance guzzler and so was my Scorpio, and the fuel economy of the Endy was nothing to write home about. It is not the niggling issues that troubled me in my scorpio, it was just the sheer durability of its components. In the 8 years I drove it 3 lacs km, I must have changed just about everything, except the engine! The cost of maintenance of my scorpio in totaled service bills over these 8 years well exceeded the original price I paid for it in 2005. And if the car broke down on an average once a year on the road, I would not term it a niggling issue.

Quote:
If not my money is on the Endeavour any day. I think after the Fortuner Launch Ford India will have some sweet discounts on the top end variant making it a much better deal On Road.
Again, going by the reception the Crysta is generating, I would be surprised that discounts on the Endy will sway more than a few numbers for Ford (maybe single digits?) from Toyota.

Quote:
Over the years we have seen Toyota dealers becoming very arrogant and snobbish and the same with Toyota India. Looking at their pricing strategies and the way the New Innova is priced they are heading for 35 lakh ex showroom and almost 40 On road with the top specked Fortuner which will still lack all the nice features of the Endeavour.
Well, it has been my first instance of dealing with Toyota- I shall be picking up my Crysta tomorrow/day after, and I must say I have found their dealing extremely good. In the days when the Crysta was not available in the NCR due to the ban on >2k diesel engines, I spoke with several dealers across the NCR and in Lucknow/Kanpur (my home towns). To date I have been receiving calls from them, but not a single call from any of the dealer has appeared to me as overzealous, pressing, arrogant, or otherwise lacking. I have had very good experience with both dealers in Noida (Espirit and Uttam) and have found their custom very pleasing.

Quote:
5 to 10 lakhs premium for their so called Reliability is a bit overkill I feel.
Everyone agrees it is an overkill. I too. Still, absence of any alternative is what makes all of us pay through the nose. I test drove both the manual and the auto versions extensively, and do not find either of the vehicles extra refined or smooth. Still, there is no other alternative I can look forward to hence Crysta it shall be for me.

How much extra will it cost for Mahindra to come up with an equally reliable version of the Scorpio or XUV, where the quality of the components in the car will ensure they last for the lifetime of the car? Will they need to reengineer each of the component? Can they offer an equally durable and trouble free car at a lower price? And finally, if they can, why are they not doing it?

I have driven cars extensively in the UK. The same manufacturers, the same cars are there as well. But they are built to last. They are much more robust than their similar offsprings you would find in India. I am aware Mahindra exports to some of the European countries too, and would be surprised if they quality of the cars they send there are not several notches above what they produce for the Indian markets.

Till such time as there are alternatives in India, whether in cars or in other merchandise/products, the most reliable manufacturer will continue laughing their way to the bank!

Last edited by rajivrt : 8th October 2016 at 23:25. Reason: To correct formatting of the Quote/Endquote
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 23:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

My Fortuner is 6 years old now (close to 120K km, going strong, fingers crossed). If I had to buy another vehicle, it would be the new 4x4 Fortuner. I would sacrifice a little extra power, torque, bling and interior comfort for things that matter to me. Reliability, toughness, total cost of ownership, the ability to do 1000+ km drives everyday, do offroading, and then come back and do office duty without any whimper.

I am sure that the new Ford Endeavour and the Pajero Sport are as good, but I have no reason to switch. The Fortuner is my primary vehicle, if I had 3-4 vehicles, I could have afforded to experiment.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 8th October 2016 at 23:42.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed