Team-BHP - Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178687-scoop-next-gen-toyota-fortuner-spotted-edit-preview-page-14-a-9.html)

Registered on the site and got a call today. The pre sales executive said there will be petrol and a diesel variants. The petrol will have only 2WD and will be powered by the 2.7 Litre engine as in the Innova. The diesel will have 2 and 4 WD variants. Will be powered by the 2.8 Litre engine only (seems like no 2.4L engine for the Fortuner). They have no further details although I asked about power and torque ratings, they did not have an answer. In international markets the Fortuner is offered with a higher torque ratings and identical horsepower ratings as the Innova (450 NM), hope this is the case with India also.

Here are some pics of the Bronze Shade.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-b085e6d98bd94b35b4e31191949e681f.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-f597eac8d4254a17b880088585ccf471.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-3ce8c094cfd1498b82ed8347bb2017b2.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-827ef668a09c4c2aa6a4bc3f8cd48728.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-efc7bddf90504f86882ba722936d6651.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-ec5ca34f75f5471087a6531b24ac1201.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-135e4330f6f3417ebfd77e830b4855a1.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-b447cf85261049f2a285cc555853f68e.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-2fad8a52531a413bbc22afb2a4c7e027.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-e03df8f4a76b4e1fa4b63c5ebdbfba19.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-90db2552e1f84b7c9f1a422c4ab42fa9.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-13f25f6da3eb46e38b1b389f42789369.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-95c5c1b72d77488c8858ed2d3e3a3155.jpg

Source: Indian Autos Blog

Don't know why the more photos I am seeing, Fortuner appears to be resembling more with Innova unlike previous generation, maybe I am getting old & am not getting excited or care about such differences any longer.

Meanwhile in Australia, the India bound Fortuner loses a shootout against the new Pajero Sport, without giving a tough fight.

Hard ride quality, lack of features, lack of visibility out of the third row, not competitive enough off road etc are some of the factors that worked against it.

https://youtu.be/rxDpwT0o_HM

Both look hideous in my humble opinion. What happend to the classic styling of 'butch' SUVs. These look like something put together by a kamikaze pilot seconds before crashing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4078670)
Both look hideous in my humble opinion. What happend to the classic styling of 'butch' SUVs. These look like something put together by a kamikaze pilot seconds before crashing!

My sentiments exactly. Compared the two of these suvs to the endeavour, the endeavour looks so much of the old school Butch SUV. And add to that the pricing of the new fortuner which would be in 40lac bracket.

Shades of the Landcruiser. Not that it's good, since even the big daddy has started looking soft ( though no less capable). Worldwide trend - cut down butch looks and make things soft and metrosexual. Less in your face. Less masculine. Less butch and tough. Such a pity. One would have thought that car makers would have learnt from the popularity of Daniel Craig, the most masculine Bond after Sean. I am sure that if I Google I would find many articles rationalising and analysing this trend. Some interesting words and phrases too.

The tanks and Sukhois are yet to be hit by this wave. All others have succumbed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4078643)
Don't know why the more photos I am seeing, Fortuner appears to be resembling more with Innova unlike previous generation, maybe I am getting old & am not getting excited or care about such differences any longer.

You are right. I think so too. It is an Innova grown up with 4x4 hardware and a tad more SUV looks. Seems Toyota is building them as a family of vehicles. Same engines and all. Only thing do not understand is if Innova is so comfortable in the back and has a better ride, why can they not make it in Fortuner. I am referring to the CarAdvice video below.

Having said that, I am sure the looks will grow up on the buyers and nothing much to worry about. Of course for those who want old school looks, there will be Endeavour and trailblazer. Also Montero and Prado are there with similar old school looks for those who have the bucks.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is the third row seat placed right on the floor?! The seating position looks like a visit to the loo!

And 40+ lakhs, for one sharing the same platform as the Innova Crysta?!

The Innova seems to have space for the legs to be lower than the base of the seat which isn't visible on the Fortuner. Could be the camera angle.

Pictures from this thread and the official review thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4078648)
Meanwhile in Australia, the India bound Fortuner loses a shootout against the new Pajero Sport, without giving a tough fight.

Hard ride quality, lack of features, lack of visibility out of the third row, not competitive enough off road etc are some of the factors that worked against it.

In India the price difference will be even more exaggerated with 40 lakhs being floated as the NEW Fortuner price.

And yet, expect the Fortuner to outsell the Pajero Sport 50:1 and the NEW Endeavour 5:1. Hell, the new Endeavor is having a tough time barely keeping up with a 10 year old Fortuner with all amenities of the good old Ambassador.

Notch that up to the goodwill and brand building (not justified in my opinion) that Toyota has done in the Indian market. People are lining up to buy an inferior product in road manners, features, comfort for the promise of a maintenance free vehicle and a hassle free ownership experience and a higher resale at the end of ownership.

Sums up what we as consumers prefer. A lifetime of compromises matters less than a higher resale at the end of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan (Post 4078866)
Sums up what we as consumers prefer. A lifetime of compromises matters less than a higher resale at the end of the day.

You summed it up beautifully in the quoted sentence. People are worried about resale than the time they have to live with the vehicle. Nothing wrong there, just that the preferences can be heavily skewed.

Considering that there is no presence of Mitsubishi in India (sparse would be an understatement), one can understand if the customers trusted the Fortuner over Pajero. And I heard from a Fortuner owner himself asking us to not go with it as it was jumpy on the highways. It is not like they are blindly believing the hype. They just trust a set of different things over the others.

And one thing I couldn't understand is how the Fortuner won the contest earlier and now the Pajero does. All that changed was the availability of the third row as per the reviewers. Strange.

Any comparison between the Endeavor and Fortuner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchumiFan (Post 4078897)
Considering that there is no presence of Mitsubishi in India (sparse would be an understatement), one can understand if the customers trusted the Fortuner over Pajero. And I heard from a Fortuner owner himself asking us to not go with it as it was jumpy on the highways. It is not like they are blindly believing the hype. They just trust a set of different things over the others.

And one thing I couldn't understand is how the Fortuner won the contest earlier and now the Pajero does. All that changed was the availability of the third row as per the reviewers. Strange.

Any comparison between the Endeavor and Fortuner?

Caradvice did a an ALL SUV Comparo but the Endeavour was the Ambiente Variant. 4 X 4 Australia and another company that I cannot recollect did a 4 SUV faceoff featuring a Jeep, Fortuner, Endeavour and the Discovery Sport. The Endeavour won those tests. My Friend who owns the New Innova had test driven both ( Fortuner and Innova ) in Thailand and he didn't enjoy the Fortuner one bit. He even stated that the Sales Rep recommended the Innova ( Which I think is Exaggerated ) but I must say as an owner of the New Endeavour, I am thoroughly impressed with the Product offered by the Blue Oval.

There is a Sync upgrade ( Sync 3 ) come out for the Endy and there are talks about the introduction of the Total Maintenance Plan ( something like BMW Secure ), the sooner that comes into effect, the better it is for the Ford.

The Fortuner will score on space but I still feel the Endeavour just edges it on the VFM front. Its a known fact though, Better product or not, acceptable looks or not, good ride or not, the Fortuner will outsell the Endeavour by a fair margin. Pricing would be key in this faceoff though. The Trailblazer is taken a 3 lakh rupee price cut too but that product seems lost in the face of such competition

That design doesn't 'flow', for want of a better word. It looks like multiple people working together couldn't agree on a single design philosophy.

Prioritising resale value over ownership value never made any sense to me. Why not just buy a cheaper car and keep the difference, if residual money matters more than the car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4078911)
That design doesn't 'flow', for want of a better word. It looks like multiple people working together couldn't agree on a single design philosophy.

Prioritising resale value over ownership value never made any sense to me. Why not just buy a cheaper car and keep the difference, if residual money matters more than the car?

Exactly. My Mate who got the Innova too got it purely because it has better "resale". Fortuner will be a great companion no doubt but buying one only to get better resale later doesn't make sense.

Might as well not buy and use money elsewhere. I believe buying a car should be for the experience. Of course after sales is an important aspect but every time you get behind the wheel it should bring a broad smile across your face. Buy a car for the product that it is.