Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 00:22   #166

The New Gen Toyota Fortuner is apparently getting launched on the 7th of November, 2016. Confirmed by the guys at Wasan Toyota. Built on the Innova Crysta's platform, the older 3.0D4D will cease to exist and will be replaced by a 2.8 which will be the highest displacement for the new Fortuner
Old 1st November 2016, 00:32   #167
BHPian

I live in Gulbarga which is a sub urban city in northern karnataka and my question is whether the new fortuner is launched in India or is it yet to be? I am asking this because I happened to see the new fortuner in my city, it was white in color and looked like a brand new purchased car with ribbons on it. Car looked Butch like the outgoing model but lacks presence when compared to endeavour. One thing I noticed was it looked taller and a bit leaner. Couldn't take a pic as I was driving.
Old 1st November 2016, 15:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
- Sadly, Rear Diff lock eliminated in the Indian version
So history repeats itself. Not interested in this anymore. My usage requires a locking differential in addition to the 4x4 hardware. I am also sure there are just a few more people like me.
Old 1st November 2016, 17:53   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's Fortuner has its own fan following and that is going to stay.

Fortuner’s dispatches to dealers started since Aug’09 and has sold over 96k units till date!

Quote:
With Toyota’s timeless quality and reliability factoring in with the New Fortuner – expect the upcoming model to help regain its ‘Fortune’ and move the model to the Top Slot in the segment again.
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-25.jpg

Source
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 21:47   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
I live in Gulbarga which is a sub urban city in northern karnataka and my question is whether the new fortuner is launched in India or is it yet to be?
Nope, not launched yet and no deliveries either. Dealerships have received TD vehicles though. The launch is on the 7th instant.
Old 1st November 2016, 22:20   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
I live in Gulbarga which is a sub urban city in northern karnataka and my question is whether the new fortuner is launched in India or is it yet to be? I am asking this because I happened to see the new fortuner in my city, it was white in color and looked like a brand new purchased car with ribbons on it.
Toyota is launching all new Fortuner in India on 7 November.

One that you have seen could be a TD vehicle belonging to Karuna Toyota or one owned by dealer or his friends
Old 2nd November 2016, 06:30   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
4 means Sigma 4WD variant (Toyota's new terminology for 4WD system)

The above variant spotted is the 2.8L 4x4 A/T.
Thanks for all the effort in sharing,Karan.

Is the A.trac system making it to the indian version of the fortuner?

If yes,then wouldn't it work better than the rear differential lock?.
(If my understanding of the A trac system is correct,it is application of reactive braking to the wheel which loses traction hence enabling the engine power to be diverted to the wheels with more traction-holds true even if 3 wheels lose traction and only one wheel has traction)

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thank you
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:54   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
wouldn't it work better than the rear differential lock?
I think this substitutes LSD and is supplemented with Rear Differential locks, which unfortunately will be missing from Indian variant as per Karan, I don't think Toyota will launch a 4x4 without LSD or ATrac.

Quoting from a different forum

ATRAC is there to PREVENT loss of torque to the wheel with traction.
For example, if one wheel (in mud) is spinning on an axle, then the other wheel (on dry land) LOSES it's torque because power is routed to the wheel with least resistance (the one in mud). So, power is being transferred to wheel in mud. Now, with ATRAC, the ABS sensors will sense this slippage and apply the brake to the spinning wheel. It will apply the brake UNTIL the two wheels are spinning at the same speed (in theory)...that is, it will apply the brake to slow the spinning wheel to the same speed as the wheel that is on dry land. By doing this, it tricks the differential into thinking that the slipping wheel is also on dry land...thus, preventing all power from going to the slipping wheel. It evens out the torque distribution to both wheels. This prevents the wheel with traction (on dry land) from losing torque. Thus, it will have power to move your truck forward.

How good is ATRAC?? It is as good as any limited-slip differentials (LSD) on the market. It will only lose to a true locker over rocky terrain, hill climbs, and deep mud. But then again, it is less stressful on the axles than a locker in most circumstances.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...trac-work.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd November 2016 at 10:02.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:38   #174
BHPian

The Autocar review is an old one. They drove it in Jakarta 3 months back and they have just edited parts of that and reposted it. They have not test driven it here yet..
Any reviews wont come before the 7th until the official launch of the Fortuner
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:54   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Thanks for all the effort in sharing,Karan.

If yes,then wouldn't it work better than the rear differential lock?.
(If my understanding of the A trac system is correct,it is application of reactive braking to the wheel which loses traction hence enabling the engine power to be diverted to the wheels with more traction-holds true even if 3 wheels lose traction and only one wheel has traction)

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thank you
A-TRAC is making it to the Indian variants

A-TRAC i.e. Active Traction Control system works only when one or more wheels slip and lose traction. The system slows those wheels down so they once again have grip. If needed, the engine's power delivery will also alter to produce less torque.

Rear Diff locks (mechanical) v/s A-TRAC (electronic) for this Fortuner many people (specially reviewers) in Australia & South Africa have found ATRAC sufficient to deal with the tricky situations without having to lock the rear diff.

Also the locking rear differential only applies to the rear axle where as A-TRAC is for all 4 wheels. Hence A-TRAC gets the job done
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:12   #176
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The media drive of the new Fortuner is scheduled tomorrow somewhere in Kerala.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 17:56   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rear Diff locks (mechanical) v/s A-TRAC (electronic) for this Fortuner many people
If I am not mistaken, A-Trac is the replacement for LSD and Rear Diff Locks just supplements wherever Toyota has equipped.

I must be amongst First one to book and then cancel, even without waiting for prices. Requested for a cancellation today, when I booked, was kind of assured delivery from the first lot and the sales guy didn't bother to even ask for any documents or payment till today. Looks they have reasonable success already. Wonder how much profitable is this business and how easy will be the life of sales guys working in Toyota.
Old 4th November 2016, 18:05   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how the Head Unit and the Speedo + MID screen look, when they are lit up.

Pics credit AMG1 @ ACI Forums.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-fort4.thumb.jpg.d8f6f5017751e334e84b456b7c338ad6.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-fort2.thumb.jpg.20db77f3a371c3c7ff23559c2aa7d978.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th November 2016 at 18:08.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 06:58   #179
BHPian

So, the D-day has arrived. Got a SMS from Nandi here in Bangalore that the launch is at 10:30AM. This may be aligned across India. I had decided not to prebook given the spread in the opinion in the reviews. Don't think that there have been a very high number of pre-bookings, at least that is what I unofficially heard from two dealerships in Bangalore.
Old 7th November 2016, 07:51   #180
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Let's brace for some steep pricing. Hope Toyota will prove me wrong. I am expecting the top spec to hit 40lakhs OTR in Bangalore. That will be similarly priced as the Superb.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks