Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 11:31   #241
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Any update on Ground Clearance? few rumors are around that the GC is reduced to 193 mm with ARAI figures of 184 mm in Indian Version.
Removal of rear diff locks & reduction of GC is big trim down for Indian Version, specially for 4x4 enthusiats.
Crazy4Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 11:38   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

My good friend and fellow T-BHPian Guderian (he was a *now* previous-gen Fortuner owner) would have said:

"The new Toyota Fortuner has lost it's mojo. The angry look of an action hero has been replaced by the cold thin gaze of a teenage drama queen"

SUV designers are hell-bent on making their huge machines look as girly as possible these days. These mean-looking machines are losing their meanness!

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-maxresdefault.jpg

Headlamps are growing narrower, with the DRLs like top-up mascara, we have either whiskers (Fortuner) or pigtails (Pajero) for tail lamp sections, and the only evidence we have of them being SUVs are - side profiles and huge, oversized front sections & bumpers (which look more huge, now that the headlamps have narrowed into thin lines!).

Whatever happened to "butch, brawny, burly", etc.?

Wait, scratch brawny.

Thankfully some of that is left in patches all around these newly-forged machines.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-hqdefault.jpg

At least one manufacturer hasn't cut down on this aspect for it's flagship SUV. Kudos, Ford!

Need I say which one would I choose between the three, given a choice?

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-pajerosportfordeveresttoyotafortunercomparison630x599.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seating is firm all around, which would suggest a comfortable long drive experience if you are in the front seat. The same cannot be said about the second row. Let me just say that after 200 kms on the back seat, fellow mod Khan_Sultan was not in the best of moods.

The lack of under-thigh support, low seating position and short overall seat depth doesn't make it a very comfortable ride over long distances. The Fortuner is easily beaten by the captain-seat Innova here.
Interesting.

So, given a choice and taking all factors into consideration, would you recommend the Innova Crysta 2.8L AT over the Fortuner 2.8L AT, Jaggu?

(Pics credit - anycontent.net & youtube)

Last edited by bblost : 8th November 2016 at 19:29. Reason: Removed the acronym for Fortuner. Thanks.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 11:39   #243
BHPian

What I find equally bizzare is that 4X2 get A/T tyres while the 4X4 get H/T. Fortuner also doesnt offer Android Auto & Apple Car Play which the Endeavour has with the Sync 3 upgrade which also means Navigation becomes standard on the Ford

Last edited by kimianks : 8th November 2016 at 11:42.
kimianks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 12:14   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the premium segment, you can't be stuck on an MT (unfortunately) as your options will be too limited.
(...)
Based on Jaggu's review, I would buy the Endeavour 3.2 over the Fortuner.
The Endeavour is a terrific all-rounder...and one without any deal-breaker. I look forward to driving the new Fortuner, but doubt that my opinion will change (as Jaggu has covered all the important points already).
You nailed it...if you look at the top-end, Endeavour 3.2 Titanium is a no-brainer. That panoramic sunroof just seals the deal: I doubt very much the engine start-stop button matters much in that segment. However the top-end Fortuner is not far off in price and may attract those who prefer the Toyota brand for reliability.

Even at the lower end, the Endeavour seems to score better, at least in the AT segment that I am looking at. Check this post of mine in the Endeavour official review thread.

PS>> Apologies for the use of the term "wheezy" petrol engine in that comparison. I haven't driven the petrol Fortuner, just basing it off the (normally solid) opinion of Jaggu & Khan who have!

Last edited by noopster : 8th November 2016 at 12:16.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 12:16   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Wait, scratch brawny.
Haha... agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
What I find equally bizzare is that 4X2 get A/T tyres while the 4X4 get H/T. Fortuner also doesnt offer Android Auto & Apple Car Play which the Endeavour has with the Sync 3 upgrade which also means Navigation becomes standard on the Ford
So, thats another boost to Ford Endeavour! As per my understanding, the sat-nav was a 1L option earlier! Are you sure Ford is throwing it in for free now?

Also, in addition to my previous post, may be I spoke too soon too bad for Toyota's decision on not having a sunroof! Turns out that Sunroof is NOT offered in Australia, Thailand or South Africa either! So, they may just be right on their comment on platform's incompatibility with a sunroof!

However, this Nebula Blue color should have been lip-smackingly good on Indian Fortuner! So do are these official off-road accessories in Australian market!

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-nb.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-tofu-ex.jpg

Sad Toyota chose not to offer these here!
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 12:16   #246
BANNED

Bulging wheel arches, a straight hood and a trimmed head and tail lamp will give a bit more character to this Fortuner, IMO. (Original image: http://mycars.topgear.com.ph)
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-fortuner2016ext05.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-fortuner2016ext05_1_1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th November 2016 at 12:26.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 12:30   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Haha... agree!

So, thats another boost to Ford Endeavour! As per my understanding, the sat-nav was a 1L option earlier! Are you sure Ford is throwing it in for free now?

The Fortuner gets the MapmyIndia Navigation just like the Crysta.

The Endeavour with the Sync 3 and Android Auto will get Google Maps. There are some demonstration videos of how effective that is. Fortuner's Navigation might not be as accurate as the Google Maps.

I am pushing for a Sync 3 upgrade too as an existing owner. I have ordered the Heads-up Display too which is a cheaper option and offers seamless navigation through google maps besides saving the trouble of moving your eyes away from the Road.

The Fortuner also has a mix of 17" and 18" tyres in the variants. They could have mirrored Ford and opted for Wanderer A/T

Last edited by kimianks : 8th November 2016 at 12:32.
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 13:23   #248
Senior - BHPian

My two cents based just on the looks.

The front looks really confusing imho, the shape of the fog lamp cluster looks weird and the chrome makes it worse. The back is ok infact the tail light design looks good. Interiors are much better but not what i would expect in this price range.
Being a totally new car its still not as exciting as the previous gen Fortuner.
Hope this results in more pre gen Fortuners hitting the used car market and with realistic prices. IF we decide to replace our XUV in the near future then that will be our first preference.

Last edited by noopster : 8th November 2016 at 14:36. Reason: Please avoid using abbreviations like TFort
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 14:28   #249
BHPian

I was also watching Autocar India's review of the Endeavour and they were trying to access the 3rd row incorrectly. There is a lever you pull on the 2nd row of seats which inclines the seat and then you push it forward to open up space. Repeat the same procedure for exiting 3rd Row. Just hope they do it right when the comparison comes out.

The Fortuner can get Roof Racks which the Endeavour with a Panaromic Sunroof cannot manage to have. Boot Space for both is seriously compromised with all seats up. I am happy ferrying around 6 people with their weekend luggage, anything more is a squeeze.

Toyota has also been highlighting the Memory Function on the Tailgate. The Endeavour has it too. Guess Ford didn't see it as too important to mention in their feature list.

I am eagerly waiting for a TD of the Fortuner. Have not received any follow-up from the Toyota Dealership in Mumbai, guess they have their hands full for now.

Last edited by kimianks : 8th November 2016 at 14:29.
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 15:47   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Will have to wait for another week or two, there are few other stake holders in this decision. But if it is fortuner probability is that we would prefer a manual 4x2, no point is spending more money though we might miss out on some minor feature lists.
I'm surprised you're picking the 4x2 MT Fortuner in this case.

For the requirements described, if you're zeroing on this variant, I would imagine you would be better off in either Crysta ZX / VX MT (depending on bench / seat preference) or even the Endeavour Trend 2.2 A/T (unless manual is a must).

Both these vehicles have distinct advantages at lower / comparable price points:

Better FE presumably (Innova);
better comfort (both);
easier to drive (both);
more manageable footprint (Innova).
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 15:48   #251
Senior - BHPian

So should the urban yuppie buy the T-Fort or a BMW X1 ? I know both are in different segments, but seem to fall in the same price bucket ?
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 16:00   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
So should the urban yuppie buy the T-Fort or a BMW X1 ? I know both are in different segments, but seem to fall in the same price bucket ?
Same price is the only commonality - they are VERY different products with their independent pros and cons.

There is no single right answer to this. Each person needs to define their specific preferences, requirements, concerns and priorities to be able to figure which option will suit them better.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 17:00   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Any update on Ground Clearance? few rumors are around that the GC is reduced to 193 mm with ARAI figures of 184 mm in Indian Version.
Removal of rear diff locks & reduction of GC is big trim down for Indian Version, specially for 4x4 enthusiats.
Specifications mentioned on Toyota's website,does not have the GC published,this seems like a deliberate omission.

Why are they being so secretive,who are they hiding this information from,big brother or us? I suspect that it has been lowered & Toyota's hoping that no one notices.
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 18:25   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Specifications mentioned on Toyota's website,does not have the GC published,this seems like a deliberate omission.

Why are they being so secretive,who are they hiding this information from,big brother or us? I suspect that it has been lowered & Toyota's hoping that no one notices.
GC has been 193 in all the versions wherever this has been launched. Not sure why it should be different in India.

Here is a link to the Thailand model which is similar to Indian model.

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/fortuner/specification

There is no mention of ground clearance in the AU model though

Last edited by nareshtrao : 8th November 2016 at 18:27.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 18:53   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
GC has been 193 in all the versions wherever this has been launched. Not sure why it should be different in India.

Here is a link to the Thailand model which is similar to Indian model.

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/fortuner/specification

There is no mention of ground clearance in the AU model though
The Australian edition gets 225MM (downgraded from an initially announced 279mm),the previous generation Fortuner came with a 220MM clearance,is what I was comparing the new one with.
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed