Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2016, 13:07   #271
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

as usual a spot on review by the Team BHP team. Looking forward to testing the vehicle in person next month.

Personally i now prefer the new Endy over this Fortuner. It seems to have become too soft looking for my taste.

Also off topic but maybe its time to come up with a new term instead of "tranny"

gems like these will be avoided - "... to keep the tranny safe from abuse"

cheers

Kundan
Old 10th November 2016, 19:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

A good review. Well done Jaggu and Khan Sultan.

The issue of my new Daily drive is settled now. I like the black A/T 4X4 and will order one soon.

I had flirted with the idea of the new Ford Endy as well but the choice is crystal clear for me now.
A new Fortuner for India!

But the Toyota Dealership in Gurgaon and the service centre is in such a congested place with narrow approach road. Terrible.

I plan to go and take delivery of this vehicle in a Toyota T shirt, Cap, and push in my pocket the Toyota emblem Cross pen, and present the leather Toyota Key ring to put two sets of keys and remote into.

I would have liked a sun roof, but then its not really required, I have had many cars with sun roofs from Hyundai Sonata to Mercedese as well as Lexus saloon car the older 400 but it never really comes into use.

But like all Indians, any idea on the Mileage ? The 2.8 L Diesel 4X4 A/T delivers what avg. kmpl ?

What a funny way to describe approach and departure angles in the PDF brochure. Anyway on the Pi/4 standard
Andle of approach is 45.9 Deg
Angle of departure - 39.69 Deg

Fair enough, but you dont exactly go extreme offroading in 36 lakh cars. For the purpose the design is fairly adequate.

Any news on the front and rear bull bars in Delhi ? I am sure the trusted house of Bimbra will come out with something very soon!

Last edited by desertfox : 10th November 2016 at 19:21.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 17:15   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

But like all Indians, any idea on the Mileage ? The 2.8 L Diesel 4X4 A/T delivers what avg. kmpl ?
Within City you can expect anything from 7-9 considering what Crysta 2.8 delivers. In highway I believe you can expect 9-11 depending on your driving style. These are my guesstimates and I might be wrong as well.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 17:47   #274
BHPian

It is a very hefty vehicle, more so than the automatic Crysta. But bigger diesels, unlike petrols, have a lower cap of their FE. Hoping it won't drop below 10 on highways and 8 on city drives. A non enthusiastic, speed limits bound driving will see even higher figures.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 18:34   #275
BHPian

Owing to GOI's demonetization, I think the expected number of Fortuners to be sold would be on lesser side. There would have been many who might have thought of buying it with money lying around, black money cash holders would definitely put this on hold. It would be interesting to read the car sales analysis for next 3 months.

No offence meant to anyone with this post.

Mods:- I thought this post is relevant to this thread, you may place where it rightly belongs.
varunswnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 21:00   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Andle of approach is 45.9 Deg
Angle of departure - 39.69 Deg
These numbers ain't right. The new fortuner's approach angle is around 29 degrees and departure angle is around 25 degrees.
Old 12th November 2016, 06:09   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the expected number of Fortuners to be sold would be on lesser side.
Yes, you are correct. There will be a lull in luxury and this segment for a while. Even though Cars are bought on loans or Bank Payments, most of such people having cash income used to spend hard cash on regular expenses & savings, unlike a normal guy who earns only in white & have to manage savings/ expenses / EMI all from tax paid income. But now things will be different - every single Rupee of white money will count
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 12:32   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Just got back from the Fortuner 4x4 boot camp organised by Toyota;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478932993.647842.jpg

It was extremely well organised and executed by Toyota & their team. Also a good job done by Tejas & team

Met a few senior people from Toyota who were very humble, friendly & knowledgeable so special thanks to them as well for the discussions on a few technical queries which they helped resolved.

After a quick safety briefing the experience kicked off & this is where the track was;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933413.855922.jpg

1st part of the track was easy but still the car was guided to be in 4L as per the expert who was along;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933246.984487.jpg

Next in line were the chicken holes, where it was interesting to relate how the car would behave on our potholed roads;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933509.354524.jpg

Then came the articulation which required some spotting, but the car was the most impressive here;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933602.936373.jpg

Then it was time to test the hill descent control;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933665.975207.jpg

^ Honestly this was too steep for the decent system to work & some application of brakes was required also was recommended by the expert along.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933826.190222.jpg

Time for some slush;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933894.237044.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933912.285692.jpg

And also time to put the wading capabilities to test;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478933950.970802.jpg

Could feel the water gushing through the floor bed, happy feeling !

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478934012.400688.jpg

This part was way too narrow, specially the entry where the concrete shoulders were jutting out, so more than wading it was driver skill to slot it in perfectly & hence this part was not the best executed.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478934039.950363.jpg

Lastly the 40Degree incline which again was a breeze;

The track was short but enjoyable & enough to understand what the new Fortuner is capable off.

All the cars were 4x4 A/T's.

Difficulty level was Easy to Medium & the fun was limited but controlled.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478934064.756619.jpg

Overall the tyres being H/T were a let down & this was observed after 2-3 runs post the wading section where there was a climb & they slipped, finally had to reverse a bit and come with more momentum to conquer the climb.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478934123.241543.jpg

Finally before leaving i was asked to write my feedback on the wall & I gladly did;

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478935087.805199.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 12th November 2016 at 13:00.
karan561 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 13:11   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
before leaving i was asked to write my feedback on the wall
But better than Endeavours- What makes you write this Karan?
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 13:12   #280

Great ...Karan can we have pics from different other angles as well ?
Rajvir Bains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 13:23   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Just got back from the Fortuner 4x4 boot camp organised by Toyota;

Attachment 1575206

It was extremely well organised and executed by Toyota & their team. Also a good job done by Tejas & team

Met a few senior people from Toyota who were very humble, friendly & knowledgeable so special thanks to them as well for the discussions on a few technical queries which they helped resolved.

After a quick safety briefing the experience kicked off & this is where the track was;

Attachment 1575211

Great report there Karan! So it looks like the A/T tyres were sorely missed on the 4x4 Auto. This tempts me even more to go ahead and book the new fortuner 4x4 Auto right away but holding back for a few reasons:
1. The current Demonetization move by government has created a lot of uncertainty and not sure whether there will be any correction in new car prices.
2. Still have some apprehensions on whether to go for Endy or this new Fortuner.
3. Not sure whether there will be any reduction in taxes after GST is implemented and if yes, will I be able to hold myself until April 2017? I am confused

I guess the solution for the above is to wait and watch over the next few days, hoping for the best!
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 17:40   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
But better than Endeavours- What makes you write this Karan?

Yes personally I prefer the Toyota's 4x4 because;
- The Terrain Management System (TMS) is gadgetry & feels some electrical systems are assisting you. Where as Toyota's was feeling mechanical & more old school
- The 4x4 at Crawling speed felt better
- Only one setting & rest A-TRAC handles rest of the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Great ...Karan can we have pics from different other angles as well ?

Thanks, sadly during the drive getting out of the vehicle onto the trail was not allowed so did not want to go out of the protocol to get those shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Great report there Karan! So it looks like the A/T tyres were sorely missed on the 4x4 Auto.

Thank You Venku

Yes the A/T tyres are missed, worse there are no options for 18"ers in the aftermarket.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 19:39   #283
BHPian

Went to Nandi today morning for a quick spin and see the ground-level situation. The car definitely looks much better in person than the images can capture. The launch-color, Phantom Brown looks great. At certain angles in the sun, from a distance, it appears almost black. Interiors are nice and evn after the dark-?tan? leather and other dark material in the cabin, it does not feel claustrophobic at all.

My drive was limited to around 20 minutes as the TD vehicle (4x4 AT) was scheduled to be taken somewhere else, so, could only drive it on the nice roads. The ride quality has definitely improved a lot, however, the engine is noisy. This will be felt every time you try to overtake or build up speed. Not sure if the AT gearbox *learns* and adapts to the driving style but it was taking a bit to respond. May be it is the weight of the vehicle or it is tuned that way.

As per the salesman, Phantom Brown has a waiting period of 3 months and shades of white, 2 months. This was kinda expected once Toyota announced the pricing .

I am planning to do a long test drive next week, taking it through our real Bangalore roads. Given that most of my commute will be city driving and long road trips will be once every few months, need to ensure that the vehicle meets the needs.
anupgangwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 23:33   #284
MAS
Senior - BHPian

During the past two days I had visited Toyota Showrooms to check out the new Fortuner. I am strongly thinking to change my Endeavour and the duo New Fortuner/Innova Crysta are on top of the list.

The New Fortuner looks good, imposing and large. I will decide only after test driving the Fortuner. Test drive is expected to start by Wednesday.

I test drove the Innova Crysta today, which had the same 2.8L- 6 Speed Auto combo, similar to the top of the line Fortuner. I found the Fortuner lagging in space with just the cosmetic mood lighting and the Aero style tables missing.

The comfort factor in the Innova was very good. The SA informed that the New Fortuner has a similar ride, which is hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Owing to GOI's demonetization, I think the expected number of Fortuners to be sold would be on lesser side. There would have been many who might have thought of buying it with money lying around, black money cash holders would definitely put this on hold. It would be interesting to read the car sales analysis for next 3 months.

No offence meant to anyone with this post.

Mods:- I thought this post is relevant to this thread, you may place where it rightly belongs.
The SA confirmed a lull in bookings due to the ban.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2016 at 08:59. Reason: Fixed typo
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 21:49   #285
BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Went for the bootcamp today.
Organized very well by Off-road junkie team. There were refreshments on offer too.
We were briefed about the car as well as the track.
We then went ahead to the track.
The track is described very well by Karan561. Mumbai doesn't get the steep climb and descent ramp.
Coming to the car, it was surprisingly good off-road considering it ran H/T tyres. Credit goes to the Atrac system. I don't think we will miss the differential lock.

The Fortuner now feels more plush inside and feels better to drive the current one.

The a/t transmission also works well. I felt it was better than the Ford Endeavour. But only a longer drive can confirm the same.

Last edited by dean5545 : 14th November 2016 at 21:51.
dean5545 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks