Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2016, 22:09   #361
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks Jedi,

Well to be honest the ride quality seems marginally improved so far, BUT the bounciness like on uneven surfaces at high speeds, approaching / leaving flyover etc are noticeably better, credit probably goes to the pitch & bounce control feature.

Done, Thanks

Yes, one video is in the making which will cover the delivery experience. A full review will follow after a couple of weeks.

Thanks !

The Endeavours Sport mode i believe is more about sharpening the gearbox & holding revs high rather than changing the engine mapping like in Fortuners Power model.

Not sure myself yet, will find out & update you
Congrats Karan on your purchase! The Knob in the key fob houses your key. My Passat key had a push system. I think you have to toggle the knob and the key should pop out. The system works when the fob runs out of juice.

The Sports Mode on Endeavour ensures a quicker power delivery and takes out lag from the gearbox. Throttle response is brilliant in S Mode.

S Mode in Fortuner is the Sequential Mode. I was unaware of the same up until today. I asked the Sales rep what would happen if I went into S Mode with Power Mode on, that was when he cleared my misinformation

I had a TD of the 4X4 AT Fortuner done through Madhuban Toyota Today.

Few Pointers from what I shared from the Boot Camp :

1) The Super White has a different aura about it. Makes the SUV look so sleek. It actually seems smaller than the Endeavour but then I think its down to the design.

2) Inside is nice and compact. Does not make you feel as if you are in a large SUV. Ergonomics are good. I didn't like the feel of the Music System though, haptic feedback very mediocre.

3) Seats pretty comfortable but under-thigh support could have been better in the 2nd row.

4) Hydraulic Steering pretty cumbersome to use for sharp turns or maneuvering through traffic.

5) Convenience of a switch to 4X2 helps in FE ( those conscious about it ). There is a noticeable difference between Eco and Power Modes. Eco mode lowers the Air Conditioning speed, acceleration becomes more sedate. Power mode just surges this SUV forward. However push it beyond the 2500 rpm mark and the Engine gets pretty loud. I did have an ECO light glowing ( in Normal mode ) on the RPM Tachometer, don't know what that was. Rep was in the dark about it too.

6) Ride and Braking have improved considerably. Went over a few undulations, only sharp bumps made it into the cabin. Handling is decent but I would not want to throw this around corners. Braking with Discs in front and rear is excellent. No Complaints. My friend was very impressed about how responsive the braking had become.

7) Lag is minimal. Gearbox is peppy even in Normal mode.

8) Grab Handles in 2nd and 3rd row a big welcome!

9) Lack of a hydraulic bonnet! Its a pain opening this should there be a problem.

10) Bridgestone Duelers offer good grip but if you are going to do off-road its better to switch to A/T Tyres.

11) A bit short on the USB and Power Outlet options.

12) 3rd row is decent with Recline adjust but Flip to the side feels a generation old.

13) Finally 10/10 for the Sales Rep. Extremely courteous, very helpful and well informed. Competitors have a lot to learn in that department.

I shall have another TD done next week. Only have 2 photos from today. Apologies.

Verdict : A great product by Toyota again. By itself Toyota have a winner on their hands and sales are on the up at a brisk rate. Falls short on features though in that price bracket. My pick is still the Endeavour if you want an automatic else Toyota for the Manual since Ford doesn't offer one in 3.2
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-20161125_144728-2.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-20161125_155145-2.jpg  

kimianks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 23:17   #362
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
I did have an ECO light glowing ( in Normal mode ) on the RPM Tachometer, don't know what that was. Rep was in the dark about it too.
This is the second ECO light (indicator on the instrument panel glows in a dark green when compared to the "ECO Mode"). IIRC, this lights up in Normal Mode when the Fortuner is driven sedately. Similar indicators are present in TVS Bikes, Honda City (colour of the instrument panel changes) indicating that the vehicle is being driven in a way that would favour efficiency. The light goes off when the car is pushed harder or when the car is switched to "POWER Mode".
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 16:29   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
Congrats Karan on your purchase! The Knob in the key fob houses your key. My Passat key had a push system. I think you have to toggle the knob and the key should pop out. The system works when the fob runs out of juice.
^ Thanks !
Quote:
..Verdict : A great product by Toyota again. By itself Toyota have a winner on their hands and sales are on the up at a brisk rate. Falls short on features though in that price bracket. My pick is still the Endeavour if you want an automatic else Toyota for the Manual since Ford doesn't offer one in 3.2
Good points & i agree with your verdict

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2016 at 13:09. Reason: Trimming quote :)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 18:25   #364
Senior - BHPian

Karan- awesome!! Many congratulations on your new Fortuner!! Has the old one been sold or exchanged at Toyota?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 19:27   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift Video Review :

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 19:40   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Karan- awesome!! Many congratulations on your new Fortuner!! Has the old one been sold or exchanged at Toyota?
Hey Get,

Thanks man, well i still have the old Fortuner but will sell shortly, wish i could keep both
Old 27th November 2016, 12:31   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

VIDEO: My New Fortuner Delivery Experience !

Video: Taking Delivery of my 2016 New Fortuner 4x4 M/T;

karan561 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 12:47   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VIDEO: My New Fortuner Delivery Experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Video: Taking Delivery of my 2016 New Fortuner 4x4 M/T
Congrats!! Loved the video . I could understand the impatient wait and all the excitement. Good to see that you made a video out of it
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 13:50   #369
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Karan. Wishing you the best and hope you have an excellent ownership.

Other than black, the car really shines in the Super White colour.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 14:20   #370
Senior - BHPian

Karan- the video captures the anxiety and eagerness very well. It was very exciting to be with you for the car delivery via this video of yours!!

Many Congratulations, once again!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 19:27   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All in all, Fortuner simply exceeded my expectation for an heavy SUV in offroad performance. And here is the final surprise. All the Fortuners here were running highway tyres.
The technology - especially the electronics - are what make the capabilities of a lot of these modern 4x4's/AWD's so impressive. I have modern Land Rovers in mind here, too - truly all-rounders that are great performers both off and on-road, and full of comforts / amenities, as well. You really can have your cake and eat it too...

BUT... the cake is a costly one, and if long-term ownership is the goal, my general feeling is that some years onward, this class of vehicle runs the risk of being intolerably problematic and expensive to keep fully functional: Too many sensors, too many control modules, too many solenoids and motors and relays and meters (or kilometers?) of wiring and countless connectors to corrode / fail...

I am not speaking theoretically here: High-technology is what made, as one example, the resale value of decade-old U.S.-market BMW 7-series in some cases about as low as that of the 3-series, despite the fact that one had cost more than double the other new.

The 7's had twelve onboard computers/modules and any one of them could cost $1,000 to replace when failed. My 735i's climate-control system never worked right (except occasionally, at idle) - a common issue in this model, with the proper company solution costing well over $1,000. Whereas the 3-series of that same era (1989) still had cable-operated full-manual heater/AC controls that any village idiot could figure out, in the unlikely event of a failure. Then sometimes in cool weather the power windows / sunroof would just stop working entirely - another module issue, I was told by my BMW-tech friend, with a similar price tag.

The 7-series was good for rich folks who could afford to replace a $50,000 car every few years, after the warranty ran out; once they aged a bit, the cars were only good for inner-city ghetto posers who didn't care if the climate controls worked properly or not (A/C only worked through the defog vents, heat only through the dashboard vents, etc), or else for the hapless/deluded (like myself) who (hard lessons yet unlearned) really thought that "German Technology" was something to be impressed with. Same sad story with most of the Land/Range Rovers. Very capable/impressive when new, but a real pain in the long run.

I know Toyota does better in terms of reliability, but still hard for me to believe these will be trouble-free from mid-life onwards. My 735i had cost $49,000 new and I picked it up in really beautiful condition (climate system aside) for a mere $7,000 at the age of 12 years. And even at that I'm not sure it was ultimately worth my trouble.

I know I'm becoming increasingly minimalist as I age, and that I don't represent the aspirations of the masses. But give me a full-manual Gurkha or the like: equally capable off-road, comfortable enough all-round for this late-40-something fellow, and at a small fraction of the price. No, you can't cruise at 140kmph on the highway in one, but even in the Fortuner that's generally going to be something of a death-wish (not to mention being highly illegal).

Apart from the downsides of tech-excess, these Fortuners are of course great vehicles and I wouldn't mind driving (if not owning) one.

Thanks for the write-up - very interesting / enlightening.

Regards,
Eric
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 19:59   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I know I'm becoming increasingly minimalist as I age, and that I don't represent the aspirations of the masses. But give me a full-manual Gurkha or the like: equally capable off-road, comfortable enough all-round for this late-40-something fellow, and at a small fraction of the price.
Hey, we are the same age. And I do share your sentiment. I drive a 9 year old Grand Vitara and I am in no mood to replace it in near future. Other than the electronics engagement of 4x4, it doesn't have any other computer control over the drive train. Still I prefer a Jeep under me if I am really offroading.

While I was enjoying all the Fortuner offroad gizmos, I was wondering what happens if one of those sensors fail, how much of redundancy do they have.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 20:13   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While I was enjoying all the Fortuner offroad gizmos, I was wondering what happens if one of those sensors fail, how much of redundancy do they have.
The MT 4X4 has electronics as well? Say, with respect to your Vitara 4X4?
Old 27th November 2016, 22:11   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The MT 4X4 has electronics as well? Say, with respect to your Vitara 4X4?
Not to answer for Samurai, but: HAC (Hill Assist Control), DAC (Downhill Assist Control), Active Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Brake Assist (BA) and ABS (with EBD??), at minimum. I'm not sure how many sensors and processors are required for all that, but it's certainly more than what a Grand Vitara would possess, and none of it is going to last forever.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th November 2016 at 22:20.
Old 27th November 2016, 22:15   #375
Senior - BHPian

Suppose the fancy electronics fail. The basic 4HL and 4LL should still work, right?
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks