Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 11:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more

It seems like a great initiative. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. They clearly wish to show they are serious. I guess in India they have a curious problem - the Skoda brand is probably considered more premium in the mindspace of the average Indian consumer than VW; the opposite is true the world over. I wonder if that has so far led to Skoda being treated as a step child by the parent group in order to correct the perception. I've never owned one but have definitely admired their cars. If they manage to turn the corner in terms of After Sales, as a consumer I'd be happy to look at it as an option. Nice to the see the UK list of Top 20 most reliable car brands in the UK - surprised to see Suzuki at #2 and Honda as a complete laggard.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 13:56   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more

This is extremely heartening to know but the success lies in it this being honestly implemented by company and dealers. Sudhir Rao also made many statements when he came on but ground reality remained the same.

All in all - I'd watch this space with keen interest. If they truly clean up their act, I'm more than happy to plonk money on a skoda product.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th August 2016 at 13:57.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:55   #48
BHPian

If Skoda ensures these benefits are passed on the customers without any "Ifs" and "Buts", I'm sure Skoda can expect a revival in the Indian market (at least in Tier 1 & Tier 2 cities). Such wonderful cars they have produced only to be let down by the horrendous A$$ that is very well known. However, these initiatives keep me curious & I'm really interested in the Rapid Monte Carlo edition as the potential replacement for my existing 1.2 TDI Polo. The Red Monte Carlo edition on the Rapid is just too hot to resist.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2016 at 15:09. Reason: Typo
Old 5th August 2016, 15:19   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Your dreams will become reality. The first hybrid car will be the Superb - due in 2017. Am not sure if it will come here.
Bhai, let the Superb Diesel come here first. The hybrid is a long shot! Even today, Skoda India isn't ready to commit to a fixed date / month when the Superb diesel will be reaching showrooms. This, despite the car being launched months back . DBHPian Karan got so frustrated with the endless wait that he cancelled his booking earlier this week.

Renault wanted to launch car showrooms without cars (link); Skoda went one up by launching a car without a car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I have been a Skoda customer for 10 years covering 2 cars and around 2.5 lakhs kms +. Excellent products - both my Laura and Superb were/are MT. However I have seen their service deteriorate downhill with determination.
A happy dealer will happily make his customers happy!

In April & May, Skoda India sold ~900 odd cars, in total, across India. Some dealers would be selling 10 cars a month, some 20. Would these dealers be happy? No. No one is interested in a loss making dealership and its customers are (unfortunately) treated such. Same thing with Chevrolet. Walk into a Chevy showroom and you know you can't find a more demotivated bunch of people.

Plus, because the company doesn't have sales, it can't discipline its dealers in a way that Maruti or Hyundai (as examples) can.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:57   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bhai, let the Superb Diesel come here first. The hybrid is a long shot!
Renault wanted to launch car showrooms without cars (link); Skoda went one up by launching a car without a car .
LOL!!

Quote:

A happy dealer will happily make his customers happy!

In April & May, Skoda India sold ~900 odd cars, in total, across India. Some dealers would be selling 10 cars a month, some 20. Would these dealers be happy? No. No one is interested in a loss making dealership and its customers are (unfortunately) treated such. Same thing with Chevrolet. Walk into a Chevy showroom and you know you can't find a more demotivated bunch of people.

Plus, because the company doesn't have sales, it can't discipline its dealers in a way that Maruti or Hyundai (as examples) can.
That's right but with Chevy, the dealers are not really to blame for the brand's decline but the company.

With Skoda however, the dealers have played a BIG part in the decline of loyal Skoda followers. Unhappy customers (on account of dealers) --> lower sales --> unhappy dealers --> even lesser customer satisfaction.

Skoda has a lot going for it for its products. The company and the dealerships need to come together to ensure:

- if part failure happens, skoda backstops it with robust warranties;
- ready spare part availability,
- honest and transparent service experience.

In the Skoda saga, the dealerships are equally to blame for any current predicaments.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 18:34   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
That's right but with Chevy, the dealers are not really to blame for the brand's decline but the company.

With Skoda however, the dealers have played a BIG part in the decline of loyal Skoda followers. Unhappy customers (on account of dealers) --> lower sales --> unhappy dealers --> even lesser customer satisfaction.

In the Skoda saga, the dealerships are equally to blame for any current predicaments.
Being a current owner of a 2011 Cruze and a 2016 Octavia, i.e. both being their 'premium' models, I totally agree with your well-articulated post:

Chevy:
In my experience of owning the Cruze (and an Aveo before that), Bangalore Chevy dealers are proactive, helpful and eager to please Cruze owners.

Service advisers are overwhelmingly honest without trying to hawk unnecessary services or part replacements.

Cars are accepted and delivered on time. Facilities may not be upto the mark like VAG nor is the experience but the enthusiasm is always there. They make you feel honoured that you have bought a Cruze.

Skoda:
Am yet to experience Skoda service but if the sales experience is anything to go by, I do not have any great expectations.
Old 6th August 2016, 22:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Bhai, let the Superb Diesel come here first. The hybrid is a long shot! Even today, Skoda India isn't ready to commit to a fixed date / month when the Superb diesel will be reaching showrooms.
Not sure if this was shared.

With the testing to happen soon, should launch the Diesel by early 2017.

Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more-skoda.jpg
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 00:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Good initiatives by skoda atleast from intent. Of course, its only reality on ground that matters of course. Need to watch closely since i am a fan of skoda cars
Old 7th August 2016, 01:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Any chance these initiatives will also follow at VW? Itemized service with the optional section is an excellent idea - completely ensures that a customer cannot be fleeced by the dealer.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 07:14   #55
BHPian

I have booked the Octavia 1.8 TSI, which is due for delivery this month. Pinning hopes on the improved after sales, especially since I'm replacing the no-frills Corolla Altis.
Old 7th August 2016, 20:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

Skoda still hasn't reached that level, despite the efforts in media by them. My old Octavia vRS was with Marikar Skoda in Trivandrum to fix a dent on the lower side of the sill which occurs due to incorrect position of jack or lifting arms, anyone with the first gen Octavia will be familiar with this issue. I wanted to get it fixed as with that piece done the car will look immaculate. I gave the car on last Friday evening before i left for Bangalore next day. On Saturday they called and asked "shall we proceed with work, It will cost 6k" i told them yes. Then subsequent days when i called after i returned on Monday they said "denter did not come today", "work is going on", "tomorrow evening you can take delivery" (this happened twice) etc and when i finally went there it was lying there as it is. Nothing done. So asked them to get it released as i am taking delivery then and there. So paid 635 bucks for a hand brake check which i had asked for and took delivery on 7th day. Anyway I don't have time to run after Skoda and their minions so I am selling it off.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 21:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

This is a necessity more than anything else. I own a 2012 Skoda rapid and have had a Turbo, 2 EGRs and 1 steering Rack replaced, fortunately all under warranty with less than 35k on the ODO. My car was a 2012 model and when the extended warranty expired earlier this year and now I'm a little apprehensive if I will face some big bills in the near future in spite of low running. Secondly, some of the parts are abnormally expensive. The turbo costs nearly 1.5 lakh and the EGR costs some 40k, this is nearly 3 times of what these parts cost in Maruti / Honda / Toyota etc. All other parts like say a back light cluster, painting charges are within what competition charges, but some of the parts and the very important ones cost a bomb and that's where it gets scary to own one.
Old 7th August 2016, 22:10   #58
BHPian

This is great news,,
It certainly feels good to know that SKODA is putting money and effort to fix the issues and perceptions regarding the Brand and Service.
As an existing customer of Skoda,, I hope the initiatives undertaken are implemented harshly and the common complaints about dealerships fleecing the customers become history,,
These are welcome steps by the Manufacturer...
Old 19th August 2016, 10:18   #59
BHPian

This is an awesome news. I am tired of reading comments in various threads saying SKODA was dropped from the buying list because of A.S.S. Even i wanted to get a rapid and eventually had to drop the idea because of this reason. The cars they gave are really reliable and VFM. Now with such measures, if implemented strictly, can give SKODA some respectable numbers.

Also wish FIAT comes up with similar ideas
Old 19th August 2016, 11:05   #60
BHPian

I've just dropped off my 2014 Rapid to Tafe Access service center for the 2-year / 30K scheduled service. Let me tell the experience so far.

Called them up for a service appointment on Aug 16 evening and got a it for Aug 19 morning 8:30.
One hour after appointment has been taken om Aug 16, the assigned SA calls me up and asks if I need them to address anything over and above the routine service. I tell them about the brake shuddering above 100 KMph, replacement of a fused fog lamp bulb, and replacement of the steering mounted 'roller' volume adjustment control.

I've dropped the car today morning at 8:40, and the SA has the job card already filled up. Visual inspections have been made and a second confirmation from him about the work to be done.
I tell him not to do AC duct cleaning and other 'cleaning' stuff.
I check if they do flushing before replacing the engine oil to which he answered that they don't do it. Apparently, according to the service process, it is not required unless there's contamination in the existing engine oil.

He tells me he will check with the workshop if the brake shuddering will require brake disk replacement or just a brake pad replacement. (I felt the disks with my finger radially and felt some mild waviness).

We shake hands and part after he says that he'll call me up for updates later. One hour later he calls back saying the disks and pads needs to be replaced as disk skimming is something that they don't do. He says that he can replace the just the pads if I want them to do only that, but the shuddering will come back once the pads are run in. I tell him to replace disks - estimated cost 10K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks