Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 15:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai mulling Ioniq plug-in hybrid for India!

Hyundai reviewing its earlier plans of Hybrids for India. Its flagship IONIQ for India is likely to be shelved, due to GST impact on hybrids.

link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 11:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India shelves all plans of introducing hybrids in it's lineup, as per an ACI exclusive.

The Ioniq hybrid now stands cancelled from making an appearance at the 2018 Auto Expo, while the upcoming all-new Verna sedan won't have a mild-hybrid option in it's variant list.

Quote:
The Korean carmaker had firmed up plans to launch the Ioniq hybrid at the Auto Expo 2018 but has now decided against it due to the cut back in benefits given to hybrid vehicles following implementation of the GST, Y K Koo, managing director and CEO, Hyundai Motor India told Autocar India.
Moreover, the carmaker has also shelved plans to roll out mild hybrid options for the soon-to-be launched new Verna.
We had a plan to introduce mild hybrid technology for the next generation Verna. But we have cancelled this project as the government has withdrawn benefits to hybrids after the GST roll-out. The benefits towards mild hybrid and strong hybrid vehicles are continuously decreasing,” Koo said.
The Creta facelift, due in late 2018 and likely to come with a mild hybrid option for both petrol and diesel engines, is also likely to miss out on mild hybrid technology.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 07:15   #18
BANNED

I said it in August last year. Hell, I was the only one in my office not getting a positive feeling about the Ioniq even after the official confirmation. So, I said it in April again.

Here I'll say it one last time. Ioniq is not happening at least in the first half of 2018 and possibly, throughout the 2018 year.

I'm placing my money on a showcase of the Ioniq family at 2018 Expo to gauge customer interest. The Electric may make it here early in 2019 as the battery costs would have gone down substantially by then. The subsidies for EVs would still be in place as EVs would still be struggling. Thus, making it economically viable. By now, Hyundai has some experience in marketing luxury cars (Genesis) and that will come in handy as Ioniq will be pitted against the luxury offerings.

What will also help Ioniq in 2019 is education.

Hyundai is terrible at educating customers about new tech. They'll write poems about keyless entry, push-button start, auto dimming mirrors but can't (or perhaps don't want to) educate us on the importance of ABS and airbags. Because, then they'll have to make it standard in all variants.

By 2019, luxury brands will have started sending out press releases for their upcoming electric cars. The Merc EQC is coming in 19 and a new BMW i is also in the pipeline. Audi has 3 e-trons planned for international launch between 2018 and 2020. This will prime us for a bunch of electric car launches scheduled for India in 2020. Hyundai can survive on these crumbs and make a quick buck out of the Ioniq before the big players enter the field.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 8th August 2017 at 07:20.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks