Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 13:47   #286
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

I am a big fan of the product & had always maintained that it has the chance to become a game-changer like the last-gen Superb was. Based on inputs from Vid6639 & Samurai who test-drove it, the Kodiaq is a top-class SUV.

But the pricing is HORRIBLE. The on-road price difference between it & the Tiguan is 5 - 6 lakhs. Awful, keeping in mind the fact that most people consider the Tiguan to be overpriced!

And what does it offer over the Tiguan? Last row of seats (definitely not worth 5 lakhs) and some gizmos (including an auto-parking I'd never use).

If Skoda wanted to nail it, the Kodiaq should have been priced in the region of the Tiguan. At best, Skoda will get some double-digit numbers, but it's not going to be anywhere near the success of cars like the Endeavour (Fortuner is in a different league in terms of market following).

An opportunity missed, Skoda.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:47   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus_GT View Post
And...too much. Sorry, Skoda. You had a chance to launch this at 31.99 and take the market. You chose not to.
That pricing would be bang on. But I think they will get the Ambition version in at that price next year. Along with a L&K version closer to 40 lakhs.
The Style is a mid variant in the Skoda line up and we have to admit it is as well loaded as the L&K top end Skoda variant this time although overpriced.

I think the should get the a 4x2 Ambition version in ASAP with a pricing at slighttt premium over the Fortuner 4x2 AT. I hope they don't skim too much on the safety features, a minimum of 6 to 7 airbags is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Definitely overpriced by at least 5 Lacs or so. Customers cross shopping with Endeavor will get lesser power, less torque, less capable 4WD, less road presence, no semi auto parallel park etc. And still pay 5 lakhs more? Does not make sense to me.
While I agree for the most part I don't think the road presence is any less and the semi auto park is a joke even on cars like the S-class leave alone Ford.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:05   #288
Team-BHP Support

While many may find this overpriced, I think for what it offers its just fine. Maybe a lac or two more expensive than it should have been. The top of the line Tiguan is around 32 I believe, and this is larger and offers more features. Its fully loaded, even compared to the Q3 and X1 and GLA while being a size bigger.

The only place where it could have been better, is the engine, where I wish we had got the higher state of tune.
Akshay1234 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:07   #289
Team-BHP Support

An opportunity missed for Skoda! They could’ve done a Superb in the large SUV segment with this car.

But thinking further on this – the Kodiaq can actually do what the 1st gen Honda Jazz did to the Hyundai i20. Once the Jazz was launched, the Hyundai suddenly looked like a big VFM product. On similar lines, the Tiguan now may look extremely VFM. And in this case, it’s all in the family
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:12   #290
Team-BHP Support

I agree with the fact that its way overpriced and at these prices the Endy / Fortuner combine will certainly eat it up. (I'm a little worried that it shouldn't encourage the latter two to hike their prices a bit in fact).

The tricky bit on pricing - I wonder if the price had been much closer to Tiguan, whatever little sales the Tiguan is seeing would also have been badly compromised.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:48   #291
BHPian

I Don't have a problem with the prices. Neither do many of the buyers in this segment.

However, Skoda After sales services suck big time. That added with the hopelessly unreliable DSG autobox, is a risk not many people are willing to take.

Plus this is not a full off road vehicle and as GTO said, could have been a game changer. But alas, it was an opportunity lost for Skoda.

I am again contemplating to buy an Endeavour. As someone on the forum said, Ford may not be as reliable as the Toyota but it is not skoda or any other german to leave one stranded.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 4th October 2017 at 14:50.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:57   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If Skoda wanted to nail it, the Kodiaq should have been priced in the region of the Tiguan. At best, Skoda will get some double-digit numbers, but it's not going to be anywhere near the success of cars like the Endeavour (Fortuner is in a different league in terms of market following).

An opportunity missed, Skoda.
Absolutely true! With this pricing from Skoda , the Tiguan now doesn't feel overpriced. Of course Kodiaq is loaded to the gills with equipment, but a lower priced 4x2 version would've made sense for people with a large family looking for a car with three rows looking to replace their aging Fortuners. I feel the price Bhpians anticipated was fantastic and we could've seen seen a dent in the sales of its competitors. But Skoda They still have time to bring in the 4x2 variant which might just do the trick !
Old 4th October 2017, 15:08   #293
Team-BHP Support

Disappointed with the price. Samurai and I drove it last week and it was a very good package which was difficult to fault in any category. It definitely had a USP vs the 7 seater trucks like Fortuner and Endeavour and the 5 seater crossovers like Tiguan, X1, Tucson but 5 lakhs above the Tiguan is a tough sell.

Samurai and me got the feeling they would price is higher than expected from our interactions with Skoda. They seem to be very confident with the Kodiaq.

From what we drove, the 150PS is adequate and nobody will complain that it's underpowered, however if they were going to charge this sort of money for the Kodiaq they should have offered the 190PS variant and not the 150PS. The 190PS might lose out on driveability but atleast you will never feel you got 150PS for 45 lakhs when Toyota and Ford offer 30-50BHP more. To top it off the Superb gets the 170PS tune!

As it stands the Top end Endy is 5 lakhs lesser and top end Fortuner 4x4 AT is 4 lakhs lesser.

The Kodiaq is more car like drive and definitely feels premium so will still attract some buyers for sure.
Vid6639 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 15:40   #294
Senior - BHPian

Autocar has compared Prices of Kodiaq with its rivals

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_20171004_153503.jpg

Skoda have overpriced it by big margin. A starting price of around 27 lakhs would have helped it.

But, I guess Skoda wanted it to be a Superb on Stills. Also, since Superb is doing well, they didn't want to cannibalize it. Let's wait & watch the market reaction.

One thing is for sure, the Kodiaq will be considered only by few, those who don't want the Big 3 Germans, or these 2 Big SUVs. Although it looks & feels better then the Tiguan.
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 15:59   #295
BHPian

I wonder why VAG would not learn from its own mistakes, they already knew the sales numbers of Tiguan. Why would they slot kodiaq above an overpriced sales dud. Are they blind to not see what a decently priced vehicle can achieve (Endeavor) with right price, Ford is selling close to 300-500 a month against the formidable competition of Fortuner. Perhaps, VAG is not interested in Indian market but in that case, why take pains to launch two excellent vehicles and add to your failure list. It's beyond me
Old 4th October 2017, 16:06   #296
BHPian

Well, Skoda is rubbing x1/q3 territory with an On road (Bangalore) price at 44 Lakhs ! All of a sudden my T-Fort feels 'value for money', since I bought the top-end just after GST at 37.8 Lakhs (all inclusive) on road.
Skoda will have very few takers at this price point and I'm afraid that it will meet the same fate as Yeti. (Selling in double digits for first few months and drop to single digit).

Have they ramped up their A.S.S significantly to provide superior customer experience at this price point?
Old 4th October 2017, 16:09   #297
BHPian

I din't need the 7 seats. Just need a comfortable Automatic SUV/crossover for long trips and vacations. The AT on the compass doesn't come with 6 airbags, the diesel which might, will probably be priced too high for the car I think. I was looking at the Kodiaq but then at 40+ on road it doesn't make sense to me. Tiguain is overpriced again so left with the Tucson or probably a X1 (finding this VFM all of a sudden).
Old 4th October 2017, 16:45   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I din't need the 7 seats. Just need a comfortable Automatic SUV/crossover for long trips and vacations. The AT on the compass doesn't come with 6 airbags, the diesel which might, will probably be priced too high for the car I think. I was looking at the Kodiaq but then at 40+ on road it doesn't make sense to me. Tiguain is overpriced again so left with the Tucson or probably a X1 (finding this VFM all of a sudden).
I know what you mean. I was also eyeing the AT compass, but for its size and price (to be announced probably next year) doesn't seem VFM.
Before this, was looking at Tiguan (which has again failed in my opinion with pricing) and now Kodiaq meets the same fate in my books.

Sigh, what does a guy do when there are such good offerings of cars, with equally disappointing prices...
Old 4th October 2017, 17:08   #299
Senior - BHPian

Kodiaq tries to save the drowning Tiguan and in the process gets drowned itself.
Skoda/VW have played it well in segregating Tiguan and Kodiaq but the pricing is just killing both of them. Both should have retailed 5lac less than current price.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:20   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
As a VW family fan who just bought a new Tucson for being more practical, hassle free, all creature comforts, I would say you are making a smart choice.

1. Compass is smaller in size, no AT, 2 airbags and skips out on couple of other creature comforts. also, from a personal perspective, the blank buttons on steering wheel are a turn-off. Build quality and driving dynamics are good to have when you have the luxury of multiple cars in the household. if it is a daily driver, it needs to be a practical car (probably that's why Maruti Suzuki sells more and has an unofficial tagline of "fill it, shut it, forget it")

2. X1 - well if you have the money to spend, has a much higher brand value and a much lower resale.

3. VW Tiguan/ Skoda Kodiaq - if it runs, you feel the drive to be fantastic. when it stops (accidents/ repairs/ service etc.), suddenly you have a huge lead time in getting your car back. Service quality is on improvement but still much below the mark. Also, pricing is not justified by brand value or resale value.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks