Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 17:45   #301
BHPian

That settles it then. Time to wait it out for the Karoq. One thing strikes me as insane. No soon as the Ertiga was launched and all of a sudden everyone goes totally nuts over 7-seaters like nobody's business bro! I mean, people are expecting the same kind of concoction across all segments! Suddenly 5-seaters are left red in the face!

I see it, ok, the Kodiaq is certainly overpriced, but the Fortuner is a 5-seater, right? But still 3 lacs for two extra seats ain't smart either, is what many would be thinking I guess. Everyone knew that this Skoda was going to be a demanding babe.

Personally I feel the Karoq is much more good looking and proportionate than the Kodiaq. And I don't fancy lugging a huge 7-seater all over town. I don't have that kind of money to waste too, anyway. So I'm not really heartbroken. Sorry for the 7-seater fans though. This is going to be a gain for some other SUV surely.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 17:52   #302
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

This pricing was very much expected.

Skoda in India is always priced above equivalent VW. Rapid-Octavia are/were priced higher then Vento-Jetta. Therefore pricing of Kodiaq above Tiguan was always on the cards. It was very unreasonable to expect Kodiaq's pricing in the range of or lower than Tiguan.

In international market Kodiaq is positioned above Superb. Therefore here also it was going to be priced above Superb. Ex showroom price of Superb is around 30 lakhs and with 7 seats, 4x4 and better equipment - premium of around 4 lakh is very much justified from the view point of Skoda.

Now whether the buyer will see value in Kodiaq at this price point is a big question mark. Traditionally VW group has failed to understand the pulse of marker. Yeti-Toureg-Passat are prime examples of this.

Kodiaq is priced in the range of Big 3. So brand wise it can not compete with them in this price category. Therefore persons looking for comfortable crossover will definitely find value in Big 3 or Tiguan rather than Kodiaq. If we go by requirement of 7 seats then also Kodiaq has its task cut out against Fortuner and Endeavour.

Now is the right time for Hyundai to introduce 4x4 in Tuscon. It looks much more value for money compared to Tiguan/Kodiaq. It would be interesting to see how Honda prices 7 seat CRV when it is launched in future.

Here one important thing to note is that when we pay 34.50 lakhs only Rs. 23 lakhs go to Skoda! Remaining 11.50 lakhs go to Government as GST.

Last edited by rutvij : 4th October 2017 at 17:56.
Old 4th October 2017, 18:04   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
While many may find this overpriced, I think for what it offers its just fine. Maybe a lac or two more expensive than it should have been. The top of the line Tiguan is around 32 I believe, and this is larger and offers more features.
Why do you think that ? In Europe, the 7-seater Kodiaq has barely ~2k GBP difference with the corresponding Superb hatch trim (even lesser wrt Superb Hatch). The 7-seater has under 1k GBP higher price than 5-seater variant.

So even accounting for a knee airbag, all time 4WD, DSG500 etc, it can't have that huge a premium on a Superb 2.0 TDI Style 6DSG or ? I would expect it to be around 31-32 lakhs ex-showroom...

Quote:
Here one important thing to note is that when we pay 34.50 lakhs only Rs. 23 lakhs go to Skoda! Remaining 11.50 lakhs go to Government as GST.
@rutvij, right - more than 50% of the ex-showroom price goes to Centre and State governments combined! Of course, there will be input tax credit claimed by car manufacturer, so effective taxation rate will be significantly below 50%, right ?

Last edited by lancer_rit : 4th October 2017 at 18:08.
Old 4th October 2017, 18:05   #304
BHPian

A friend has picked up new X3 last week, for 47L on road in Bangalore. BMW is running heavy discount on X3, sign of a model change or facelift.
Who would want to pay 44 for Kodiaq when you can get X3, which is a segment higher, for few lakhs more.
Old 4th October 2017, 18:21   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
@rutvij, right - more than 50% of the ex-showroom price goes to Centre and State governments combined! Of course, there will be input tax credit claimed by car manufacturer, so effective taxation rate will be significantly below 50%, right ?
No. Effective tax for Skoda might go below 50% and that is because they will be getting credit of GST paid by their suppliers. However in totality government will get 50% and Skoda along with their suppliers will get only Rs. 23.50 lakhs.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:27   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Kodiaq in EU , falls behind Nissan X Trail

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:33   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
A friend has picked up new X3 last week, for 47L on road in Bangalore. BMW is running heavy discount on X3, sign of a model change or facelift.
Who would want to pay 44 for Kodiaq when you can get X3, which is a segment higher, for few lakhs more.
The X3 is on its last production run, the new one was shown to the press few months ago. Your friend got a great deal, the X3 trumps the kodiaq in prestige and performance.
Old 4th October 2017, 19:48   #308
BHPian

I would say a missed oportunity !

I wish if Skoda priced it at around 32 lakhs (as an introductory price at least and later increasing the price according to market demand) could've avoided this pricing shock.
Old 4th October 2017, 20:21   #309
BHPian

This is a lost opportunity for Skoda to cash in on the current SUV crazy in India.
On the look out personally for a new SUV in the stable, I have deferred my purchase until now hoping to see how the car is priced.
The only two contenders for us now are once again the veritable Fortuner and Butch Endeavour.
Why Skoda why?
Old 4th October 2017, 20:29   #310
BHPian

Oh dear, what a waste of opportunity. I am wondering if the adventurous pricing of Tiguan emboldened Skoda to price Kodiaq such recklessly. I am also glad I did not put up my mind on this car as else the disappointment would have been immense! It would be very interesting to hear the POV of individuals who will buy this as it has got to be a very niche space of buyers at this price!
Old 4th October 2017, 22:55   #311
BHPian

I was tracking this launch very closely and had also booked a Kodiaq with local dealer in Bangalore. However, after hearing Kodiaq price announced by Skoda, besides the obvious choice of Endy or Fortuner, Land Rover Discovery Sport seems to be more attractive, at a marginally higher price point.

Alternatively, for people looking for a soft roader 7 seater, deferring the decision till launch of new CRV does not seem too difficult.
Old 5th October 2017, 01:08   #312
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
That settles it then. Time to wait it out for the Karoq. ... Personally I feel the Karoq is much more good looking and proportionate than the Kodiaq. And I don't fancy lugging a huge 7-seater all over town.
I feel you. There have been repeated media mentions that Skoda is evaluating Karoq for India, but there are no definite timelines as far I recall.
Though I'm not in market for 7-seaters, I was hoping for Kodiaq to be priced competitively so that the car sells in good numbers - a success would have been a good reason for Skoda to introduce Karoq in Indian market early. But looking at the current price, Kodiaq may go down the way of dodo, and might delay/cancel Skoda's plans for bringing Karoq to Indian shores
Old 5th October 2017, 06:21   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

The price for the Kodiaq is marginally higher than I had expected. But I don't think sales would have been dramatically different be it at ₹ 32 l or ₹ 35 l. From what I have read, this seems like a pretty well loaded single variant. So it will certainly meet Skoda's sales target which is likely in the sub 100 units a month range.

Comparing this with the Fortuner and Endeavour makes no sense. They are cheap body on frame truck based SUVs, built on an EM only platform. They make great sense for rural India, and our politicians love them. But next to no one will use one as a self driven "Chelsea tractor".

The Kodiaq and Tiguan are refined urban SUVs. They will cost more than the Fortuners of this world, and attract a completely different segment moving over from cars. I only don't get why they went in for the 150 BHP engine instead of the higher powered one - may be they are protecting Audi.

BTW, the Discovery sport has the same power in most trims (other than the ₹ 57 l HSE Lux)

Last edited by Hayek : 5th October 2017 at 06:23.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 08:32   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
That sounds like an incredible deal. Which variant was it and can you give details of the exact discount?
Old 5th October 2017, 09:30   #315
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article on the VW - Skoda tussle.

So the euro pricing of the Kodiaq is much lower than the Tiguan. Could VW have dictated the India Kodiaq pricing ?

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswage...-skoda-1758545
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks