Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 13:48   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Where as back of my mind I am willing to risk the Octy without warranty for a couple of years more and then get the 530d/i
Adi, you have a real dilemma here :-). The Octy 1.8 TSI (unfortunately) ticks too many boxes and a replacement has to really uplift an owner significantly to ensure true satisfaction.

Let's face it. None of these cars will take you to the next paradigm . If pre-owned is not an option (like me), I suggest getting the 5 (or equivalent) after a couple of years. However, your highway fiascos ARE a major cause of concern; you may not have the freedom to wait that long.

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th October 2017 at 13:49. Reason: Typo
Old 12th October 2017, 14:19   #347
BHPian

What about the 530i
Cheaper than most big upgrades and a real upliftment too.330i with current discounts would do wonders too and to answer you, yes the A4 comes with black interiors, albeit in silver exterior.Also the technology is closer to 42 Lacs after discount​.
Overall, I think you should be looking at 330i and A4.Fortuner and endeavour don't cut it in terms of driving pleasure.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:26   #348
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
May be the Kodiaq is priced so - because VW group fears that the Skoda will absolutely destroy the VW Tiguan otherwise?
Naah, Skoda India is loss-making. They're looking at fat profits from the Kodiaq, that's why it is so overpriced. Plus, initially, their India allocations (Kodiaq kits) are small. They must have thought "we are anyway going to sell a small number - why not maximise profit?".

Frankly, they missed making it a game-changer. At the right price, the Kodiaq would have created a stir in the segment (as the last-gen Superb had). It is seriously a good SUV.

The overpricing & its rogue dealers will ensure that the Kodiaq registers double-digit numbers only.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:37   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Kodiaq out for 4 hours last night. It is a spectacular SUV! Quite an all-rounder this, and far, far better than the VW Tiguan. Love the classy styling, interior ambience, features, suspension & gearbox.

Main deal-breakers are the price (5 lakhs too much), Skoda's rotten after-sales experience and that we don't get the higher-tune engine.
I hate to admit, I am tempted. I want to hit myself to even have this thought after the horror my Superb has put me through with it's 3 gearbox changes and numerous other issues in the 7 years of ownership. I promised myself no more Skoda till they get their act together but if the Kodiaq proves more reliable and they provide a 5 year warranty, I might just have to reconsider. Not totally convinced yet but I do need to replace my Fortuner next year.

I hope Honda gets the CRV in quicker, that would be a worthy consideration for me too.

GTO- Can you also shed some more light on the suspension. I hope the bouncyness is way way less than the Fortuner.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:43   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Naah, Skoda India is loss-making.

Frankly, they missed making it a game-changer. At the right price, the Kodiaq would have created a stir in the segment (as the last-gen Superb had). It is seriously a good SUV.
You just explained how they missed the mark yourself!

Even if they had made it a game changer and created a stir, they would still be at the same spot "Skoda India is loss-making". So why not create some hefty margin in the meantime as you said. They need to sustain with these for another 2 more years before they start building VW cars in cheaper platform. Skoda had an amazing chance to be in middle of average customer cars and german trios. They have themselves to blame for this sorry state!
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:50   #351
BHPian

So, there was a farmer with a goose that laid golden eggs..

Y'all know the rest of the story. Skoda will rue the day they overpriced this if indeed their thought process was to make a short term gain over long term success.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 08:43   #352
BHPian

Does anyone have any inside news of if and when ŠKODA will launch the Kodiaq Scout and also the Karoq?
Old 13th October 2017, 11:40   #353
BHPian

Guys the point GTO made is bang on. It was corroborated by the sales rep I was discussing about the problems with Brand Skoda while test driving the Octavia yesterday in Delhi. They have a limited supply of Kodiaq and they believe the car should work at the price point offered.

The dealer already has 16-18 bookings in Delhi since launch and they were quite elated by that number. I was surprised at the count though but there were two families looking at the car late afternoon on a working Thursday and I was the only other customer they had looking at the Octavia. So there definitely is interest despite the problems with the brand.
nishant_kingpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:54   #354
BHPian

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

I test drove the car today and came fairly satisfied with it.

It is about 41 lacs onroad Delhi. It is not a 7 seater but yes a spacious 5 seater it is.

Skoda is giving 4 year warranty and a 6 year warranty on the gear box (as told by the sales personnel).

A service package is also there : Offering a 4-year, once a year service pack. For upto 60,000 kms for Rs. 60,000 only. Which I think is a fair deal.

I drove the car on the highway and pulled till high speeds without batting an eyelid, with 3 person on board. Interior design and quality is way way better than either the Fortuner or the Endeavour.

Ride is slightly stiff (read German) on broken roads. Looks smashing in black color and a lot less so in white.

I am still to decide between the Kodiaq and The Endeavour.

But this is not a truck but a posh city vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2017 at 09:49. Reason: Removing dead attachment link; please re-upload pics in a new post. Thanks!
car_crazy1400 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 02:51   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Skoda is giving 4 year warranty and a 6 year warranty on the gear box (as told by the sales personnel).

A service package is also there : Offering a 4-year, once a year service pack. For upto 60,000 kms for Rs. 60,000 only. Which I think is a fair deal.
If this is indeed true then kudos to Skoda! The 6 year outright warranty on the gearbox rather than it being “goodwill” as per dealer and company’s discretion is very comforting to hear.

The service pack seems extremely well priced. Would be interesting to see how comprehensive it is. I hope they have some 5-6 year 1 lakh km packs too.

I hope they start offering these warranties on all their models, it will be a game changer and an effective way to reinstate consumer faith on their service issues.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 09:12   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If this is indeed true then kudos to Skoda! The 6 year outright warranty on the gearbox rather than it being “goodwill” as per dealer and company’s discretion is very comforting to hear.

I hope they start offering these warranties on all their models, it will be a game changer and an effective way to reinstate consumer faith on their service issues.

Sir, I am fine with the warranty part and the service costs. What I am not sure of is the attitude of the dealers and their callous and inept ways.

That is why I have never looked back at Skoda since 2007.

Kodiaq is a very compelling vehicle and despite the high costs, I'd rather be buying this as a replacement for my Fortuner than the new Fortuner /Endeavour. I don't think I currently have need for 7 seats all the time. Besides already have an Innova and a GL for the same.

But the horror stories abound on our forum itself which is making me wary.

Still in two minds. Weather to go in for this or not.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 09:34   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
GTO- Can you also shed some more light on the suspension. I hope the bouncyness is way way less than the Fortuner.
Since I drove it on some atrocious roads in rural Kerala, I can tell you that the suspension is probably the best I have experienced. Since I mostly drive on bad roads in my regular drives, I was very interested in this aspect of Kodiaq, and therefore paid special attention to how it handles bad roads. I came out very impressed. There is no bouncing, and every kick from the pothole is softened.

Vidyut who was in the same car told me that only Hexa has better suspension.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th October 2017 at 16:10.
Samurai is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 13:51   #358
BHPian

Mods - will there be a full blown review coming up soon? When can we expect the same?
Old 14th October 2017, 15:02   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A friendly Moderator who drove it has already placed a booking deposit on it . I'll let him make the announcement if he proceeds with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since I drove it

Vidyut who was in the same car
Still waiting for one of the friendly moderators to make the announcement. Guess we have the list of probable candidates now.

Would make a very good upgrade from both the Grand Vitara and the Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_fanatic View Post
Mods - will there be a full blown review coming up soon? When can we expect the same?
Going by the order of the media drives - I would expect the Nexon report to be out next, followed by Captur and later Kodiaq.
Old 14th October 2017, 19:08   #360
BHPian

42.25 lacs on road Mumbai, (this is with dealer handling everything ) the warranty offered is 4 years, there is NO separate cover available just for gearbox as was mentioned a few posts earlier.

Good package, modern city runabout. This is a vehicle that "gives way" to the likes of Fortuner or Endeavour. It lacks the intimidating road presence. The 190 ps tune engine is a definite miss.

Offhand I enquired about the water wading depth the suv can safely handle, no one in the showroom knew. In Mumbai city it's good to know this bit of information, on a rainy day I suppose one would have to be as worried as the owner of the E class or 5 series would be even though this is a SUV.
Sparks is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks