Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:08   #376
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Vidyut who was in the same car told me that only Hexa has better suspension.
Thank you for making my (Sun)day!

Slightly OT, I feel the ad of the kodiaq is cringe worthy. The tragedy of Jallianwallabagh reminded to you everyday as you watch TV, that induces a feeling of anger against the whites and then at the end a European car is showcased. I feel they could have left that part out.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:55   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
The tragedy of Jallianwallabagh reminded to you everyday as you watch TV, that induces a feeling of anger against the whites and then at the end a European car is showcased. I feel they could have left that part out.
I agree. I find it a bit distasteful to see that part there. Imagine seeing various dictators in an American/European ad. Don't think the such a grave incident even remotely should be associated to a car ad.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:14   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with the theme of "power should be beautiful". And indeed the Kodiaq is a handsome car. The problem with it is that it is not powerful enough. Kodiaq is a beauty that needs more power!
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:18   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The problem with it is that it is not powerful enough. Kodiaq is a beauty that needs more power!
Yes, on paper it doesn't look powerful. But after you drive it, it is very very hard to say the same thing. We were left very puzzled how this heavy car can move so fast with that engine specs.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:22   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, on paper it doesn't look powerful. But after you drive it, it is very very hard to say the same thing. We were left very puzzled how this heavy car can move so fast with that engine specs.
Yes that is typical for Skoda cars. Even now my Laura with 110 bhp feels far more quicker than my Compass with 170 bhp. It probably has to do with the way the torque curve is and also how the accelerator response curve is.
The Laura feels far more eager to surge and gives a nice kick when you floor the accelerator. The Compass on the other hand just reacts linearly and there is no surge felt. It somehow does not feel like the 170 bhp that they claim. I hope someone does Dyno their Compass.
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:44   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes that is typical for Skoda cars. Even now my Laura with 110 bhp feels far more quicker than my Compass with 170 bhp. It probably has to do with the way the torque curve is and also how the accelerator response curve is.
The Laura feels far more eager to surge and gives a nice kick when you floor the accelerator. The Compass on the other hand just reacts linearly and there is no surge felt. It somehow does not feel like the 170 bhp that they claim. I hope someone does Dyno their Compass.
I didn’t know that Laura came with 110bhp also. Which year model, if I may ask?
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:46   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
OT: The 2.0TDi M/T Lauras are all 110BHP. Only the DSG came with the 140BHP tune.

On topic - saw the car at the showroom yesterday, but am I the only one who found the looks to be average?
I don't see anyone giving way to this car on the highway - at least not in the sea of fortuners and endeavours!
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:05   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
My Laura is a 2012 model Ambiente MT. The Manual versions were all 110 ps at that time and the DSG versions were 140 ps.

Skoda engine tuning is normally quite good and they have a good meaty torque curve and the engines being higher capacity don't feel too stressed and are quite frugal in fuel consumption. My Laura still delivers 17-18kmpl in my usage of 50:50 city : highway use. Before the EA189 update it used to deliver 19-21 kmpl which has dropped now due to the emission control update.

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd October 2017 at 12:11.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:22   #384
BHPian

I loved the car! But am super scared of being stranded on the roads as many Owners have experienced here with DSG Skodas.

The interiors look and feel like a million bucks especially if compared to the competition like Fortuner /Endeavour or Santa Fe for that matter.

From the outside, it looks small, especially with the narrow width compared to the length. And pretty much unimpressive in White color. Looks great in Black though.

Can't decide to go in for this or the Endeavour. Don't want to buy another Toyota.
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:04   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I loved the car! But am super scared of being stranded on the roads as many Owners have experienced here with DSG Skodas.
As has been mentioned earlier in other threads, the DSG Gremlins haunted the Skoda petrol engine variants, not the wet clutch versions used in the diesel models.

I had a Laura TDI DSG which was fun to drive and reliable.

If you're thinking twice about the Kodiaq solely because of questions around the DSG, my suggestion would be to not worry about it as much and to simply get an extended warranty for additional peace of mind.
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:36   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
As has been mentioned earlier in other threads, the DSG Gremlins haunted the Skoda petrol engine variants, not the wet clutch versions used in the diesel models.

I had a Laura TDI DSG which was fun to drive and reliable.

If you're thinking twice about the Kodiaq solely because of questions around the DSG, my suggestion would be to not worry about it as much and to simply get an extended warranty for additional peace of mind.
+1. The wet clutch DSGs have a favorable reliability index and is the single biggest factor for me picking up the RS. The DQ500 in Kodiaq is full of promises (for mods) considering the torque rating it carries

Last edited by Hells Bells : 23rd October 2017 at 14:37. Reason: Grammar
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:47   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
though.
Can't decide to go in for this or the Endeavour. Don't want to buy another Toyota.
I agree on the exterior looks department, it looks like an ambulance to me in white. Other opinions may vary, but its sure nothing path-breaking in terms of design on the outside.

On the inside, it is the roomiest Skoda to date, and the huge panoramic roof might add a bit more sense of space and luxury. Otherwise right from the switches, infotainment, AC controls, instrument cluster, seats and overall ergonomics have remained pretty much common since the late Lauras to the recent Octavia. Especially the steering. Brands such as BMW and Audi, even Ford and Toyota do offer different steering designs with subtle changes to differentiate the feel of the interiors from other cars in the brand.

So yes, I don't think its leaps and bounds 'different' and 'new' and 'elegant'. The butch Ford and Toyota will always have more presence than the rather slender Kodiaq.

Coming to the DSG, no, the DSG with wet or dry clutch are not free from niggles. During my ordeal with Skoda for the gearbox issues, I have seen not one, but plenty of 6 Speed DSG TDI Octavias and Superbs too going under the knife for DSG issues. Some were parked for months due to lack of parts or 'resolution'.

The problem lies in Skoda's service. They are very slow in diagnosis of an issue, and their methods cause undue strain and pressure on other parts which were working fine before the DSG issues, making those parts also fail later, multiple number of times.

Do note that Skoda will always get step motherly treatment from VW. Only the gearboxes that did not pass VW QC/QA, will pass for Skoda, and from Skoda to Seat. I hope you get the gist. In summary, the Tiguan with same 7 speed wet clutch DSG, has less chances of failure than the Kodiaq's same DSG unit.

If reliability is what you're looking for, stay away from Skoda. Wait for an MT version may be, their MTs are a joy to thrash about without any major concerns besides regular wear and tear.

Toyota will give you second to none reliability experience that is a fact. But the ride of the Fortuner is absolutely rubbish when compared to the Endeavor.

On road, the Endeavour wins on multiple grounds. On paper, the Kodiaq is 'richer' with pathetic support from dealers and Skoda India itself.

The problem will multiply if the Kodiaq doesn't sell large numbers, just like it did with the Yeti, spares availability will leave you car-less for weeks if not months.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:57   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

Do note that Skoda will always get step motherly treatment from VW. Only the gearboxes that did not pass VW QC/QA, will pass for Skoda, and from Skoda to Seat. I hope you get the gist. In summary, the Tiguan with same 7 speed wet clutch DSG, has less chances of failure than the Kodiaq's same DSG unit.
I find that a bit hard to believe, I am sure the part specifications and tolerances should be the same across the group? If not it will cause bigger operational issues, and void the advantage of common sourcing and process design. Many factories produce VW and Skoda cars side by side, such as Vento and Rapid such as the Indian Factory in Pune. I think the main differences come in visual side, with VW having plain and dull exteriors with richer interior trims and Skoda having more flair in exterior design but muted interiors. Also, Skoda seems to use thinner sheet metal for the body, more in line with Japanese competitors like Honda/Nissan.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd October 2017 at 15:00.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:11   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Do we have any documented proof on this, or a folklore doing rounds in the media? I doubt if these brands will stay on in its key target markets with parts which are QC failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Also, Skoda seems to use thinner sheet metal for the body, more in line with Japanese competitors like Honda/Nissan.
The newer VAG cars on MQB platform do feel a bit tinny compared to the previous generation models, but not as hollow as the East Asian competitors. For example, the current Golf’s doors doesn’t have that vault like feel of the Jetta.
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:24   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only the gearboxes that did not pass VW QC/QA, will pass for Skoda, and from Skoda to Seat. I hope you get the gist. In summary, the Tiguan with same 7 speed wet clutch DSG, has less chances of failure than the Kodiaq's same DSG unit.
That's utterly BS, Production does not happen that way, it's not something plucked from the tree that better or larger fruits are graded as first and so on. On contrary, Skoda and other group companies, get the advantage of all the R&D done by VW Group and many parts are shared on basis of application and not something getting rejected at Audi and being used at VW.

Quote:
But the ride of the Fortuner is absolutely rubbish when compared to the Endeavor.
Again, I will disagree. New Fortuner has almost comparable or I will say even plush ride on the second row over the current Endeavour. And this is from my personal experience. I can accept that Endy is better planted but ride on Fortuner is definitely softer.

Quote:
The problem lies in Skoda's service
Quote:
The problem will multiply if the Kodiaq doesn't sell large numbers, just like it did with the Yeti, spares availability will leave you car-less for weeks if not months.
Agreed, this is a major concern so unless there was a VFM proposition like RS, I don't think numbers happening for Kodiaq.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks