Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 09:57   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop ! Skoda Kodiaq spotted testing in India

Yup, the roofline is unusually low following the Evoque style rather than the 'proper' full-length SUV style like the Endeavour/Fortuner etc.
Old 15th March 2017, 10:15   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
If it undercuts the Endeavour & Tucson, Skoda might have a genuine segment leader in their hands.
It's a segment up on the Tucson, and Europeans have traditionally been more expensive than the Americans. I would say it'll land in the 35 - 40 lakh range. The Kodiaq has the chance to do a 'Superb' in the segment, offering a European luxury SUV at a price much lower than the usual Germans (in the same way that the Superb offers almost as much as an A6 at a far lower price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Knowing VW, my guess is that it will be priced only a couple of lakhs cheaper than the Superb.
It's based on the Superb; SUV siblings are always the more expensive, whatever the segment.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 10:43   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a segment up on the Tucson, and Europeans have traditionally been more expensive than the Americans. I would say it'll land in the 35 - 40 lakh range.
If so, where will the pricing of Tiguan be ?
Old 15th March 2017, 11:02   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If it undercuts the Endeavour & Tucson, Skoda might have a genuine segment leader in their hands.
No chance.

They will definitely place the Kodiaq at a slight premium over the Superb's prices (since both cars share a common MQB platform). That would mean topping it at at least a lakh rupees more than the Superb's range.

And since the 7-speed DSG and AWD will be offered in both fuel types, my guess for the pricing is Rs 26 lakhs - 34 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Reports for the 3rd row comfort haven't been too encouraging. Let's see what Indian reviewers make of it, when the Kodiaq is eventually launched.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:25   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This looks way better than the Tiguan & is most probably a seven seater. Its success in the Indian market highly depends on its pricing. If it undercuts the Endeavour & Tucson, Skoda might have a genuine segment leader in their hands.
Well, many have forgotten the Sanfe Fe, which is more like in the same space as of the Kodiaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Reports for the 3rd row comfort haven't been too encouraging. Let's see what Indian reviewers make of it, when the Kodiaq is eventually launched.
Which will be the case with any of the other Monocoque SUVs in the segment; it will be interesting to see if this segment gets a revival with the arrival of Kodiaq and maybe new CRV with 7-seats
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 14:49   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

The picture clearly shows a 4X4 badge at the rear right - good to confirm that we are getting this version in India.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 17:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

Does the car have a low roof ? Or is it the angle of camera making it look lower than what it is? I hope the third row isn't severely short on headroom.
Old 15th March 2017, 17:50   #98
BHPian

I was so excited about this model but this looks like a station wagon of the new Octavia, similar to the kombi variant they launched some time ago. Does not seem to have the street presence. Eagerly looking forward for the test drive report on Team-bhp
Old 15th March 2017, 18:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
In India, SUV means 'unchi gaadi' - huge road presence.

And this pic; where I can draw a clear estimation of the height of the vehicle - isn't giving me much of the positive feelings. I am not expecting anything like being a segment leader from this vehicle, not even second position in the segment.

Attachment 1619115
The height of this vehicle could match those of Ford Ecosport / Fiat Avventura I suppose. With pricing in & above Superb's category.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 19:53   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

The height of the Kodiaq is 1676 mm while that of the Audi Q5 is 1650 mm. This will definitely have better road presence than the Q5. The length of both is similar at 4.6m.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-1489587821824.jpg  

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th March 2017 at 19:55.
Behemoth is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 20:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The height of the Kodiaq is 1676 mm while that of the Audi Q5 is 1650 mm. This will definitely have better road presence than the Q5. The length of both is similar at 4.6m.
The height definitely will not be anywhere similar to the Fortuner/Ford Endeavour judging by the numbers. Also looking at the overall length as you mentioned, it will be a very tight fit for a 3rd row for sure. Just for comparison, the X5 and GLE are about 4.86Mtrs and seat 5 comfortably.

I surely hope Skoda positions this well as a proper 5 seater with a pricing lower than Fortuner/Endeavour or else it will be a low volume SUV.

The interiors will be much better in this SUV than the Toyota/Ford offerings if the Skoda Superb's interiors are considered.
GS-R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 11:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

This will be a better option for people who feel superb has low GC, looks more like a estate version of superb. Will potential Toyota/Ford owners consider this? Doubtful.
Old 17th March 2017, 11:04   #103
BHPian

If I remember right, there are 2 seating configurations. The one in the pic could be the regular 5 seater. The key will not be number of seats, but its feature and engine positioning vis a vis fortuner and endeavor.

If done right, this could still be the Superb of the SUV's.
Old 17th March 2017, 11:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
No chance.

They will definitely place the Kodiaq at a slight premium over the Superb's prices (since both cars share a common MQB platform). That would mean topping it at at least a lakh rupees more than the Superb's range.

And since the 7-speed DSG and AWD will be offered in both fuel types, my guess for the pricing is Rs 26 lakhs - 34 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.
Even I feel it will not be placed at Tuscon level. I was chatting with a Skoda sales person and according to him Kodiaq will come at around 45 lacs OTR. Skoda will be positioning it as a cheaper Q7 it seems.
Old 17th March 2017, 12:54   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjiGTI View Post
Even I feel it will not be placed at Tuscon level. I was chatting with a Skoda sales person and according to him Kodiaq will come at around 45 lacs OTR. Skoda will be positioning it as a cheaper Q7 it seems.
A 45 Lac OTR price for the Kodiaq is highly unlikely and will not generate any sales! What news I got from my sources is 27-32 lacs, which will pit it against the Fortuner and Endeavour. While the Kodiaq will not be as aggressive an offroader as the other two, it will offer a lot in terms of creature comforts and luxury and finesse.
If you the see the UK prices, they pitch it against the Santa Fe, Nissan X-trail and VW Tiguan and price of the Kodiaq there are as below (for the models we are likely to get here):
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-kodiaq.jpg

With the UK Pound at 88 INR it translates to a price in the range of 25-27 lacs. Historically Skoda has priced their cars around 10% higher than the UK price, but that could vary. If we take 10% as the thumb rule, we could get the Kodiaq in the range of 27-30 Lacs Ex-showroom, which is very much possible.

The "Edition" variant which is the highest spec one, is 5K pounds more expensive but is unlikely to be available with all the features as some of the features are only for UK. We might get here an intermediate version between the two variants available there, at a reasonable price of 27-30 lacs ex-showroom.

You can get a lot of details on the Kodiaq from the UK website: http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/kodiaq/default/

I am also sharing the Brochure of the Kodiaq from the Skoda website for people who are interested! (I for one am very keenly looking forward to it!)
kodiaq-flyer.pdf

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th March 2017 at 13:02.
Behemoth is online now   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed