Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 09:22   #121
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Seeing this Car a lot around Pune. Kodiaq and Tiguan (Allspace Seven Seater) are very similar to look at. This was in the heart of the city at model colony (not the normal highway route i have seen it a couple of times). Beats me why are they testing the car here! Looks like its been handed over to either the company officials or special owners for feedback.

Looks launch ready actually.

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_0911.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_0908.jpg

PS: There was an endeavour tailing this car. Well! the endeavour is a kind of a hooligan, while this is more suave and sophisticated - stancewise

Last edited by Zappo : 18th April 2017 at 11:56. Reason: Photographs Watermarked
MartinVirage is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:04   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVirage View Post

PS: There was an endeavour tailing this car. Well! the endeavour is a kind of a hooligan, while this is more suave and sophisticated - stancewise
Yes, the Endeavor looks very 90s in comparison to the Kodiak. I lived in the US in the late 90s and the Ford Explorer and Expedition ruled the roost there then. The basic shape of the Endeavor sold in Asia/Africa/Australia today does not stray too far from the original boxy formula established by these grand daddies. One of the rather ungainly characteristics of this generation of SUV shapes is the fact that the width of the truck towards the mid level of the car is more than that at the wheel level, so the cross section looks like an oval with a fat middle section resting on narrower bottom - making the vehicle look quite uncouth and giving an impression of compromised stability. You can see this clearly in the Endeavor as well as the first generation of Indian Suvs such as the safari and scorpio. Most of the future generations of SUV design have opted for a wider bottom tapering upwards towards the roof, Ford's own Ecosport is a good example of this design.

When a market is new to full size ladder-on-frame SUVs, the overall boxy formula seems to work well, eventually people move on and look for more sophisticated shapes. One sees evidence of this in the US where even the Explorer, which was the original 4X4 cult car, has morphed into a sleeker monocoque shape, while still retaining most of the off road capabilities.

The Kodiaq looks really sleek and futuristic, while avoiding any gimmicks and stunts such as Hyundai's fluidic designs. While its off road capability is perhaps a notch below that of the Endeavor and Fortuner, I would any day take the timeless and crisp design, sophisticated powertrains, attention to detail and fit and finish of the Kodiaq over a few off road features I may miss compared to the Endeavor.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 08:00   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as its sibling from VW, the Tiguan prepares for its upcoming launch soon, Skoda's KODIAQ appears in the SKODA India website anticipating a sooner-than expected launch!

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-11.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-2.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-3.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-222.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th April 2017 at 08:01.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 19:49   #124
BHPian

Saw this on the Nice road in Bangalore this evening. It was wearing a shade of brown. Somehow at first sight the proportions seemed to be a bit off, but it can be my tired eyes after a long day
Old 29th April 2017, 14:26   #125
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq Preview. EDIT: Now spotted testing in India (page 6)

Just read an article from NDTV Car n bike that there is another SUV planned by Skoda know as the "KAROQ" which will supposedly be placed lower than the Kodiaq and at par with the Tiguan. This also means that this is the end of the road for the Yeti and it may not see a newer MQB derived version.

If this is true then we can be certain that the Kodiaq won't be cheap at all and may cost 35+ lakhs on road for sure. So the idea seems to be that Tiguan and Karoq will be 5 seater SUVs taking on the Tucson and the probably the Jeep Compass while the Kodiaq is placed against the T-fort and the Ford endeavour.

Also, it may be a strategy by VW not to bring the Karoq to India. There are not enough volumes for 2 cars in a similar price positioning at the 25-30 lakh segment. So it may be just the Tiguan and Kodiaq, filling up the 25-40 lakh 5 seater and 7 seater segments respectively.

But the initial spy shots of the Karoq indicate that it will be a downsized Kodiaq and nothing new. If this does replace the Yeti then we have lost a unique looking car like the Yeti.

Skoda too is going to have a family look like Audi and to me that's not great news since every other car from VW, Audi and Skoda will start looking similar from the side angles with only the front and rear changing.

Last edited by motorworks : 29th April 2017 at 14:31.
Old 29th April 2017, 14:58   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just read an article from NDTV Car n bike that there is another SUV planned by Skoda know as the "KAROQ" ,,,,.
Interested in the KAROQ ?..more in this link.

Link

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd May 2017 at 10:57. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 1st May 2017, 16:55   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing a cool video review of the Kodiaq from the UK. This guy reviews the car in a very different way (completely unlike all the other reviewers!)

I also came to know that the dealers are currently accepting bookings for the Kodiaq (booking charge varying from 30k - 100k!, so probably unofficial) but it does seem that the launch is likely to be within May.
There are many good launches happening in May.
I for one am waiting for the Isuzu MUX and the Kodiaq.
Let's see which one takes the cake - it will probably come down to price.
Behemoth is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:56   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Sharing a cool video review of the Kodiaq from the UK. This guy reviews the car in a very different way (completely unlike all the other reviewers!)

I also came to know that the dealers are currently accepting bookings for the Kodiaq (booking charge varying from 30k - 100k!, so probably unofficial) but it does seem that the launch is likely to be within May.
There are many good launches happening in May.
I for one am waiting for the Isuzu MUX and the Kodiaq.
Let's see which one takes the cake - it will probably come down to price.
I love Mat Watson's reviews. Have been a fan for a while now. His reviews are always fun to watch, crisp and thorough in the sense that they cover enough about every aspect of the car you would like to know, in just about 10 minutes or less.

As for the "SKodiaq", different sources are claiming different launch dates. Some are still sticking to the festive period, which would be around Sept-Oct, while others are saying July. Given that I just booked the Tiguan, this latest news about the Kodiaq has me all confused about what I should do. To weigh two cars that we don't know enough of in terms of specs, features and cost, is impossible. Might just have to wait it out I guess.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:02   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I just booked the Tiguan, this latest news about the Kodiaq has me all confused about what I should do.
It should be based on your requirement. Kodiaq for India will be in the 7 seat configuration while Tiguan a 5 seat one.
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:08   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It should be based on your requirement. Kodiaq for India will be in the 7 seat configuration while Tiguan a 5 seat one.
I read somewhere that the Kodiaq might be offered in both 5 and 7 seat variants. Am looking for a 5 seat configuration so the Tiguan seems perfect but am not averse to a 7 seat configuration car like the Kodiaq if it gets me more for the money spent. I guess it's all about getting the best bang for your buck.

Anyway, I just checked with the Skoda dealer in Hyderabad and they seemed unaware of any imminent launch. They maintain it's due in Sept, with bookings starting a month or so before that. The fact that bookings have started in other parts of the country came as news to them. Have to say, they are consistent in their blissful ignorance of such things.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:16   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I love Mat Watson's reviews. Have been a fan for a while now. His reviews are always fun to watch, crisp and thorough in the sense that they cover enough about every aspect of the car you would like to know, in just about 10 minutes or less.

As for the "SKodiaq", different sources are claiming different launch dates. Some are still sticking to the festive period, which would be around Sept-Oct, while others are saying July. Given that I just booked the Tiguan, this latest news about the Kodiaq has me all confused about what I should do. To weigh two cars that we don't know enough of in terms of specs, features and cost, is impossible. Might just have to wait it out I guess.
I would recommend that you hang on with your booking till at least May end and see what surprises are in store for you with new cars!
The Kodiaq will be a much more luxurious car than the Tiguan and that too at maybe just 3-4 lacs higher than the Tiguan. My guess is the the Tiguan would be between 19-22 Ex-showroom and the Kodiaq should be between 25-27 Ex-showroom. The Good thing about the Kodiaq will be a more aggressive design and better stance and a much more modern interior and the option of having a 7 seater (or much higher luggage room) in a slightly larger footprint (maybe a foot longer than the Tiguan).

Here is a quick snapshot of the Kodiaq variants in UK. We are most likely to get the 2.0 TDI 150 HP4x4 SE (7 Seater) and the Kodiaq SE L 4x4 DSG in India.
The price in UK is 27,455 GBP (around 22.2 lacs INR) for the Kodiaq SE
and for the Kodiaq SE L 4x4 DSG is 31,105 GBP (around 25.8 Lacs)
I am attaching the UK pricelist for reference - it also has more details.
Kodiaq-pricelist-March-2017.pdf

Lets hope these price work out in good levels for us too here.

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd May 2017 at 12:27.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:14   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is my take on the pricing of the upcoming C/SUV's from VAG, INR -ex- showroom.

1. Skoda Kodiaq - starting at 28 lakhs ( 2017)
2. Skoda KAROQ - starting at 22 lahks ( replacing YETI, 2019 launch)
3. Skoda K----- - starting at 12 lakhs (yet to be named, China specific and smallest CUV, in VW-T Cross segment)

4. Tiguan - starting at 25 lakhs (2017)
5. T ROC - base price at 21 lakhs ( not yet decided for India)
6. T Cross - starting at 15 lakhs (2020)

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd May 2017 at 17:20. Reason: Typo
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:06   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is my take on the pricing of the upcoming C/SUV's from VAG, INR -ex- showroom.

1. Skoda Kodiaq - starting at 28 lakhs ( 2017)
2. Skoda KAROQ - starting at 22 lahks ( replacing YETI, 2019 launch)
3. Skoda K----- - starting at 12 lakhs (yet to be named, China specific and smallest CUV, in VW-T Cross segment)

4. Tiguan - starting at 25 lakhs (2017)
5. T ROC - base price at 21 lakhs ( not yet decided for India)
6. T Cross - starting at 15 lakhs (2020)

Your pricing for the Tiguan and Kodiaq are pretty much what I am expecting them to be. I expect the Tiguan Highline to cost around 28.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd May 2017 at 17:20. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:23   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Team,

Here is a Team-BHP Exclusive: The exteriors and the interiors of the to-be-launched Skoda Kodiaq SUV, spied from up close.

The variant in the pics is a 4x4, paired to the DSG transmission. An 8-inch (?) NAV-based touchscreen Head Unit can also be seen.

My friend observed that the third row legroom is just about adequate, and is better suited for children.

He also commented that the interior quality is top-notch and maintains Skoda's premium, rich look.

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image5w1.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image4w2.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image7w3.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image9w4.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image6w6.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image10w5.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image1w7.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image3w8.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image11w9.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image2w10.jpg

Credit to my friend Dnyaneshwar Lahane for sharing these with us.
RavenAvi is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:53   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Team,

Here is a Team-BHP Exclusive: The exteriors and the interiors of the to-be-launched Skoda Kodiaq SUV, spied from up close.

Credit to my friend Dnyaneshwar Lahane for sharing these with us.
Nice catch ! The car looks like a full production version and does't look like a prototype. Looks like the launch should happen soon!

Here is a quick comparison of dimensions between the three cars - Yeti, Superb and the Kodiaq. This gives a relative idea between the lengths, Heights, Headroom, Bootspace and Angles etc. (I had originally put in a PPT slide with transition, but as PPTs cant be uploaded, I put it back in JPGs as separate slides)!
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-slide1.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-slide3.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-slide2.jpg

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd May 2017 at 15:03.
Behemoth is online now   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks