Team-BHP - July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178832-july-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!

Thanks Aditya for the analysis,

Blockbuster month for most auto companies,

Out of the top 10, there are 7 Maruti Suzuki’s. That moreover also sums up the toppers in the respective segments.

* Maruti – Toping the entry level, Compact hatch Premium hatch, Compact Sedan, C segment and the Compact SUV segments- What else can an auto giant need ?- Yes to sustain and further make in-roads seem to be their strategy.

*Hyundai - Same as the leader but to a much smaller scale. Seem to be concentrating on segments that are more profitable and currently in segments where Suzuki has no presence yet.

*Mahindra- Loses the crown of the UV segment. But overall does good is stand 3rd in terms of sales. But the challenging task is in sustaining these numbers especially of TUV and KUV. KUV sees a drop in numbers, market response to its new upcoming launches will also play a major role in these figures.

*Honda- One of the few companies(Fiat, Skoda and Chevrolet) showing a negative growth again. City will show a decrease as the sock of diesel variants need be depleted and the alignment of production to the petrol demand. Brio and Mobilo are duds. Jazz and Amaze bring in the numbers but it latest launch BR-V seems to hover at 3k units.

*Toyota - Crysta has been well received but the overall sales figures from is portfolio fails and drops Toyota to the 6th position in July sales.

*Renault – Drops to 6th position but above Honda. Except for KWID has dismal sales numbers in its portfolio.

*Tata- Tiago’s market acceptance seems good, though too early to predict. Enables Tata to claim the 5th spot in July sales. Need to keep up its momentum. Again none of its other products are getting great volumes. Out of the next launches for 2016, Kite has the potential to garner some volumes but will it cannibalize the Tiago and Zest?

*Volkswagen – Ameo, a product that VW –India has hopes gets an response but considering this the launch month we need to await along with its diesel variant, how the response will stabilize. Polo and Vento numbers are dropping and Vento needs a re-fresh?

*Datsun
- Redi-Go just launched and doing 3k units at its early stages is not bad. All the others in the portfolio seem to have lost shine. Again one product dependent company?

*Skoda – Looking at the future, promising on paper, launch time-frame are still a suspect. Current mass products along with their famed after sales support perception not generating enough to see in their sales numbers

If you go by value the picture is different, here are the toppers considering the value ((as calculated by the top-end variant's price multiplied by volumes). Source
July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-53592941.jpg

It seems we have a new entrant in > 10000 segment in the form of Vitara Brezza.

Swift feeling the Baleno effect. The shortcomings are getting more visible now.
But even then its a very good product and after facelift will surely go back to previous levels.

City is reeling behind should make Honda worried.

What is happening to Aspire, Figo and Polo.

CHEVROLET

Nothing to write about. No models could cross 1K figure. I can't understand how are they able to survive in India with such pathetic sales.

FIAT

It look like top folks at Fiat don't care about sale figures. They are more than happy selling engines to Maruti. Please get those good looking and powerful cars which you sell in Europe and improve after sales service. Please do something Fiat.

FORD

Really sad to see the fate of Figo twins. Good products at VFM price got rejected in Indian market. Reason??

Endeavour is doing good. I hope the figures remain consistent over next few months.

Smart move by Ford to reduce price of Ecosport is really fruitful. If not, Ford would have been in similar position like GM.

35 units of Ford Mustang :thumbs up

HONDA

Honda is doing just above average, if compared to last year. City sales are affected, no more a segment leader. Ciaz is the new king of C segment sedans. It's high time to discontinue the ugly looking Mobilio. I have seen people rejecting BR-V because of it's resemblance with Mobilio.

HYUNDAI

Grand I10, Elite I20 and Creta is doing wonders for Hyundai. Verna has settled down to 1500 units. Yes, it was the segment leader once upon a time.

MAHINDRA

Sales are lower compared to last month. There is decline across all models. It's high time to discontinue Verito twins and even Xylo.

MARUTI

Maruti should be celebrating. Highest ever figures in Indian market. Baleno, Vitara Brezza and SVHS in Ciaz and Ertiga is a super hit. S-Cross production is heavily compromised leading to a waiting period and negligible discounts. It's good to see Celerio doing good numbers after introduction of AMT variant. Well done market leader!!

Renault : Nissan Alliance

3rd sport on July sales chart, thanks to Kwid and Redi go. Duster sales have declined and no where near to 3.5 to 4 K like before. Nothing to write about Terrano. Why are they even selling Pulse, Lodgy, Scala and Sunny?

SKODA

965 units is the overall sales figure. Really sad!! No wonder Skoda is planning to introduce warranty schemes and improve after sales support. Good luck!!

TATA

Tiago is the only car from Tata stable which I really liked. Good to see the figures crossing 5K mark. Nothing to write about other models.

TOYOTA

Innova crysta is proving it's mettle every month. Gone are the days when Indians were price conscious. Fortuner sales are affected after launch of Innova Crysta.

VW

Too early to comment about Ameo. Polo figures have declined by huge margin. I suspect production priory for Ameo. Introducing "new features" every 6 months in Vento won't help you dear VW.

Out of Top 10 cars sold last month

1. Maruti : 7/10
2. Hyundai : 2/10
3. Renault : 1/10

Shows how so many older Maruti models are still ruling the roost, but more interestingly shows how Maruti is making a dent in the premium segment. The new models are quickly gaining traction, with Ciaz outselling Honda City consistently.

Also interesting to see how Rapid continues to languish in the doldrums inspite of the sustained advertising campaign. Personally, I believe the Rapid is extremely good value as compared to the competition, but hey, their aftersales scares people off, while many overpriced Maruti products are raking in the moolah only due to the strong aftersales of Maruti.

Thanks for the very interesting numbers!
It is only a matter of time before Kwid crosses the 10K+ numbers! The same goes with Baleno, which is giving a stiff fight to the Elite i20, losing only by a few hundred numbers!
The figures show a snapshot of our expanding market. Soon we might see all the cars in top 10 doing 10K+ numbers.
Maruti has dominated the compact UV segment making 10K+ copies of Vitara Brezza. It is interesting also to note that, Ecosport also makes it to Top 20 with around 5K numbers.
Tiago doing good numbers, but may too early to tell.
KUV100, though seems a little losing, it seems a big hit in tier-II cities. We can see this car everywhere nowadays.
VW clearly has prioritized Ameo's numbers for this month - Ameo's numbers are twice as that of Polo!

Overall a good month to many car makers with a lot of cars moved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalvaz (Post 4030948)
Shows how so many older Maruti models are still ruling the roost, but more interestingly shows how Maruti is making a dent in the premium segment. The new models are quickly gaining traction, with Ciaz outselling Honda City consistently.

Also interesting to see how Rapid continues to languish in the doldrums inspite of the sustained advertising campaign. Personally, I believe the Rapid is extremely good value as compared to the competition, but hey, their aftersales scares people off, while many overpriced Maruti products are raking in the moolah only due to the strong aftersales of Maruti.

Honda acting like a typical Japanese company(shifting focus from Diesel to Petrol taking longer by which time diesel would be back in demand clap:) while Suzuki is acting more American in being quick to adapt to customer changes. Guess having large manufacturing capability is helping them during time when customers are largely moving towards petrol!!

The Indian buyer seems to be coming of age.
One can see this shift upwards by looking at the figures of the Crysta - which is now in a much higher bracket touching an astronomical mid 20s lac (which one wouldn't have foreseen three or four years ago).
Also the fact that close to 30% of the market is SUV/MUV and mostly in the above 8 lac range.
It's a real shame that the world's largest car maker (currently) - VW - does not have a presence in this section at all and doesn't look likely to get into it in the near future in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadows123 (Post 4030954)
Honda acting like a typical Japanese company(shifting focus from Diesel to Petrol taking longer by which time diesel would be back in demand

City diesel has been hit by Ciaz SHVS.
Look at the price gap between after SHVS was introduced (avg ex-showroom price, source CarWale).
Base model Rs 90K, Top model a whopping Rs 1.9 lacs

Ciaz VDI INR 8.55 Lacs, ZDI+ INR 10.54
City E INR 9.40, VX(O) INR 12.45

1) My friend booked a Jazz CVT and he says Honda is offering cash discounts of up to Rs. 40,000 on Honda Jazz. That might explain the steady rise in sales. Highest discount on diesel variant, and available for immediate delivery. CVT variant has the lowest discount (Rs. 10K) and has a waiting period of 2 months.

2) In the 7 seater segment, two new models are slowly nibbling away at the sales numbers of Mahindra XUV500 - just look at the steady decline in numbers. Base & mid-variants of Innova are eating into W8 & W10 sales while mid & top-variants of BR-V are probably eating into W4 and W6 sales. Possible solutions for Mahindra:

a) Bring out W0 and W2 variants at lower price points.
b) Plonk a petrol engine at Rs. 1.5 Lac discount. Low mileage users will still pick it up.
c) Next gen XUV 500 should hit the gym and lose atleast 300 kilos. Then bring in a proper petrol variant.

3) VW India management might have exclaimed "sheesh!". Polo was doing 3000 a month, now it has done 1000. Meanwhile, 2000 customers went and bought the Ameo!

Maruti: I just don't understand how they do it again and again. Definitely its not the service. God, I spent 15.5k on my 40k kms Ritz VDi service yesterday after waiting at the ASS for over an hour before someone could attend to me and this is after taking an appointment. We Indians are all mad to keep flocking to their showrooms again and again lol:

GM & Fiat:
Lets just move on

Toyota:
They must get a new hatch and small sedan asap. No amount of work on the bland Etios twins seems to be working. The Innova though has been a success beyond all benchmarks and I for one do not consider it over priced at all. Just look at Hyundai and Honda who are selling buffed up hatches masquerading as SUVs with all bells and whistles and extra seats whose top versions range from 15-17L OTR. I just don't understand how a full loaded Crysta which has more space, more luxury, more power, more everything compared to these cars along with legendary Toyota service and reliability is over priced at 24L OTR.

Tata:
Glad to see the Tiago do so well. I saw it at a mall recently and loved it for what was being offered at its price. Hopefully the new launches Kite and Hexa bring in additional customers. However something must be done for the Bolt and Zest, which are competent cars otherwise.

Ford:
God what happened here? Is it some supply constraint or what? I thought the 200 CR publicity blitz was finally working.

Nissan & Renault:
Except the cheap Kwid and Redigo nothing is selling. Even the new Duster is not doing well at all. It surely needs a price correction. I was shocked to see a bare bones 85 PS base version with sub standard interiors for 11.5 OTR recently. Cmon Renault take a leaf out of Ford and do what they did to the Ecosport.

Honda:
I guess they are still selling cars based on the name they have built for themselves for all these years. No point in repeating the same things here again and again. I was shocked that they are employing tactics of 6 month service intervals for raking in the money. At least Toyota don't charge you for a regular 6 months check up. I am hearing of more and more Honda owners having troubles with their cars than ever before. No wonder they are going down and down.

Mahindra:
Their cash cow Bolero is finally doing numbers that actually do it justice. it still is too high IMHO. They have flogged it too long now. Surprised to see TUV numbers go up after all the negative rants here and else where. KUV is doing OK, but I expected to languish further down,