Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 10:15   #136
Senior - BHPian

The answer would really depend on knowing for sure what is the life span remaining.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:14   #137
BHPian

Check this out. Very good review from Top gear.

Killing the toyota.

Old 27th January 2009, 18:27   #138
BANNED

Nothing to do with cars!!!

First, the parts I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I'm planning a house. ....

Aim is, to get 1 car, 1 house and 1 wife = all lasting me a lifetime ;-)
Nice thing. To do; even I would like this to be so.

Edit:- where are the kids?

Now, the bad thing:-

Quote:
and then start up my Advocate practice in it.
Never mix professional life with personal life. I know it is difficult but simply do not do it.
Quote:
I'm looking at a self sufficient garage, with tools adorning the walls and a lot of manuals and stuff like that. Want to become a BEHRAM DHABHAR kind of guy a few decades from now!
The trouble is, if you actually become such a "guy" (errr.. I really do not know Dhabharji's personal life and lfiestyle); it would mean you have a lotsa of time on hand, means you failed in the profession. ;-P

OTOH, being successful in the legal profession means spending more on a showy lifestyle. You can take it from me.

Just look at the recent posts on the Linea TD thread, where a lawyer would pay a premium for a TD car just to get it before delivery.

And in case you prefer to ignore my advice, take care to make sure that clients do not confuse your building (as a whole) for a garage!!!

Back to the subject of the thread:-

1. Mods!! Hey Mods!!! HEY MODS!!!!!!! waaaa!!!!! WHERE IS THE POLL??

2. 10 years from today, the Indica would be occupying the place the Amby/ M800 currently occupies. I would vote for the Indica any day. So, if you are looking for a lifetime car ownership, may I suggest Indica? Fiat too is a good contender, for its sheer longeivity.

No, I am NOT looking for lifetime term car ownership. Hence my car is the WagR.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 27th January 2009 at 18:30.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:32   #139
BHPian

I think Maruti 800, the first Indian passenger car.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
no, you really can, just gotta find a new engine every few L kms. everything else is pretty cheap and widely available. Dad was looking at 10+ years of ownership when we decided to buy the indica. If the cabbies are any indication - i mean, most of them use it more than most of us would do in our entire lifetimes - i think it should be around for a while
In that sense, you can run it for life, But changing the engine of a car is more like using the same car's shell for a another engine which is the soul of a vehicle... And in due course, the entire car except probably the chassis, sheet metal and the steering will be consisting of replaced parts :-) In that sense you are not running the car for life. FIAT's is a different case, Presidents (1100 Delight) from the 60s with the same old engine are still running.

Last edited by clevermax : 31st January 2009 at 22:26.
Old 1st February 2009, 01:00   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing to beat the OHC! Gem of an engine!
Old 1st February 2009, 11:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Maruti 800.
Old 1st February 2009, 15:10   #143
BHPian

I Guess it will be either Maruti 800 or an Amby they both probably can go on and on
Old 1st February 2009, 21:07   #144
Senior - BHPian

Simple question: How many Maruti 800s from the 80s that are used for daily driving do you see running around? Not many at all if any. It doesn't make economic sense to keep pouring money to keep an old car running
Old 1st February 2009, 21:53   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Simple question: How many Maruti 800s from the 80s that are used for daily driving do you see running around? Not many at all if any. It doesn't make economic sense to keep pouring money to keep an old car running
My wife's 1997 M800 is still going strong with about 39k on the clock
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:26   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good point. There was a time when for every other car on the road, you'd see 5 M800s. Now, for every M800, I see 10 other cars on the road.

Two more reasons for their decline : The Alto's positioning + increased buying power.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:51   #147
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thoughts Arun. So if I get this right - no change of car or wife?? Bummer.

But seriously I think we are approaching an inflection point in automotive propulsion technology. And if you buy a car now for say the next 50 years you may not, toward the end of that period, get fuel to run it (or get it cheaply enough) because the world would have moved on to a technology that will be cleaner and more sustainable than the internal combustion engine.
Perhaps your thought process would have worked 1-2 decades ago. Today I think it's more difficult to discern the shape of things to come.
By a car today with the idea of keeping it for the next 10-15 years but not a lifetime.
In my opinion it would have to be a vehicle with excellent after-sales. For that reason I would choose Maruti. Considering you'd keep it as your family expands - and assuming a budget of 5 lakhs - I would say buy the top-end Wagon-R (or the Splash if that is replacing the Wagon-R) with all the safety features.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:57   #148
BHPian

Well I think Premier Padmini (the only successful Fiat car) will last forever in the form of Taxis!
Old 5th February 2009, 12:26   #149
Senior - BHPian

it has to be 800...

But i read somewhere about new Euro norms and 800 might not be meeting them.. i will be curious to know if that happens..

Also with the likes of Nano about to get launched,800 will have tough challenge
Old 5th February 2009, 12:47   #150
BHPian

We Have Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford and Tata in Home and have used Maruti & Mahindra also few years back.

So here is my go on which is the best!

My Vote goes to:

Toyota:- For its sheer quality and bullet proof reliability. Have been using the Innova from past 4 yrs and have clocked 105000 kms as of date and the machine still looks and behaves as if it was just out from the showroom.

Maruti:- Not for quality but for Service and reliability. Have had Esteem for 2 yrs in the family and have never loved a car so much than her. She was a real Gem - Frugal, Performing and reliable. This Product of Maruti even scores higher than our Honda City.

Most Viewed