Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2018, 11:52   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
The cars look great. But the issue is that the sales of the Tigor have been pretty abysmal. It looks like it's mostly the Taxi market that's picking these up, because of the large price difference and large boot. The engines are really unexciting, and that's going to bother a lot of potential owners who like to drive. They should have changed over to the Turbo engines when the Nexon was introduced. There's a good chance that by the time the Festive season rolls around and Tata finally gets around to launching these, they will have become irrelevant.

I think they should make this engine standard in the Tigor, considering the extra weight.

I haven't seen a single Tigor Taxi here in NCR, I don't think TATA is selling these as commercial vehicles?

Although I do see atleast 2-3 Tigors daily in my commute to and fro office
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 12:52   #92
BHPian

re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I haven't seen a single Tigor Taxi here in NCR, I don't think TATA is selling these as commercial vehicles?

Although I do see atleast 2-3 Tigors daily in my commute to and fro office
Could be the dealers there have enough private sales to sustain them without having to resort to the cab market. Here, Tigors are not very common, and it's almost a flop. There are dealer discounts available too.

I saw several here in Trivandrum. I think they're mostly UBER cabs. Someone at our office had hired an UBER and the cab that came was a Tigor, which was a top model with alloys. That was the first time I saw a Tigor Taxi. Indicentally, I have also seen the new Dzire here as a cab, a Brezza VDi, and even a new Honda City (VX diesel). All of these had yellow plates and reflector taping on all sides.

Tata relied too much on the Tigor's styling while marketing, IMO. They should really have made more of an effort to distinguish it from the Tiago, like MSIL did with the new Dzire. A more powerful engine and differently styled front end should have been there from Day One. Tata dropped the ball on this one, and as a result, the Dzire is selling ten times as much every month.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 13:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Could be the dealers there have enough private sales to sustain them without having to resort to the cab market. Here, Tigors are not very common, and it's almost a flop. There are dealer discounts available too.

Tata relied too much on the Tigor's styling while marketing, IMO. They should really have made more of an effort to distinguish it from the Tiago, like MSIL did with the new Dzire. A more powerful engine and differently styled front end should have been there from Day One. Tata dropped the ball on this one, and as a result, the Dzire is selling ten times as much every month.
Comparing Tata to Maruti in terms of sales would not be of any help IMHO. Granted that Tata should have provided a four pot with the Tiago, but if you are talking about Dzire, then the Dzire and the Swift have nearly identical front ends which emphasise that they belong to the same family.

The only thing Tata should have done/could still do is to work on the engines. Although this car sits below the Dzire and the sub -4m sedan segment, since the body style is the same, it is compared to the more expensive rivals.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2018 at 21:24. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen users :)
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 15:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be the dealers.......the Dzire is selling ten times as much every month.
Using a tier 3 city as a yard-stick for the whole nation doesn't make sense!

Maruti dominates half the Indian car market, in that sense literally every other car manufacturer has dropped the ball!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 21:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Using a tier 3 city as a yard-stick for the whole nation doesn't make sense!

Maruti dominates half the Indian car market, in that sense literally every other car manufacturer has dropped the ball!
I'm not talking about Trivandrum, I'm quoting from the national sales figures for 2018, from Autoportal. MSIL sold about 24000 Dzires in May, while Tata sold 3000-odd. Honda sold 9800 of the New Amaze the same month.

Of course Maruti dominates in the Indian market, but the Tigor could have done so much better, had Tata provided the goods. Both of the engines on offer were below par in power and refinement.

Once again, It's great that Tata is coming up with the turbo petrol. I was a Tata owner, and I wish the Nexon had been launched at the time I bought my Ecosport. I put off my decision for months hoping that there would be some news of the Nexon launch or the Tigor launch. In the end, I couldn't put it off any longer as prices were increasing and bought a car. If I could take the financial hit, I'd sell off the Ecosport and buy a Nexon. I recommended the Tigor to a friend who was about to buy an Amaze, as he could get the top variant for the price of a mid variant Amaze he had booked. He said the Tigor wasn't fun to drive, but ended up buying the Nexon XM diesel!

But yes, I stand by my comment. I think that Tata dropped the ball with the Tigor. The engines were just about adequate for the Tiago hatch and they are really inadequate for the Tigor. They should have launched it with the 1.2 turbo petrol, and maybe a 1.2 diesel. They had seen what happened to the Xcent, which was launched with an under powered diesel engine.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 19:59   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Tigor JTP Edition spied again,

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-untitd.png

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-untled.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 11:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Tigor with twin-barrel exhaust spotted

Thanks to Venkatesh Chinnasamy for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-img_2007.jpg

A Tata Tigor test mule sporting a twin-barrel exhaust has been spotted in Coimbatore, which suggests that it could be the Tigor JTP.

The Tigor JTP has been spotted testing earlier, however the latest test car appears to have an unpainted rear bumper with black inserts but does not have the rear reflectors and reverse lamp. That said, it does have 4 parking sensors at the rear. Also note that the test car does not have a chrome garnish. The tail lamp clusters are similar to the ones found on the standard Tigor. It also has a black spoiler placed on top of the rear windshield, while the radio antenna appears to have been removed.

Coimbatore-based Jayem Automotives is developing the sportier JTP versions of the Tiago and Tigor for Tata Motors. The cars were first showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo. Both models are expected to get a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 108 BHP and 150 Nm of torque and could be paired with a 5-speed manual transmission. The cars are likely to get tweaked suspension and larger alloy wheels.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th August 2018 at 11:09.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:23   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiago NRG coming - essentially the Tiago JTP concept in a hot, compact, crossover hatchback iteration.

Additions - a touchscreen HU, bigger wheels, 180mm ground clearance, significant styling changes with body cladding, and most importantly, the Nexon's 1.2L turbocharged petrol engine under it's hood.

Thanks to good friend DJ Bro for the heads up.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 23:57   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tiago NRG coming - essentially the Tiago JTP concept in a hot, compact, crossover hatchback iteration.

Additions - a touchscreen HU, bigger wheels, 180mm ground clearance, significant styling changes with body cladding, and most importantly, the Nexon's 1.2L turbocharged petrol engine under it's hood.

Thanks to good friend DJ Bro for the heads up.
Nice - supposed to be a Diwali gift for the Indian market? What's NRG mean? It's going to come in this branding and not JTP?

I guess the only major thing (or 3) I'll miss on a Tiago Vs Tigor are the touchscreen system ( which seems will be added, but the other ones are ACC & the better boot space.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:44   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Then, is the Tiago JTP coming or not? If Tata has any intention of cashing on the festive sales, they are running out of time. Durga Puja starts around mid-October, around which time people start buying vehicles in droves. The frenzy lasts for around 20-odd days till Diwali. For Tata to be able to sell Tiago/Tigor JTP in this window, they need to launch it and open bookings before end of September. For that to happen, communications need to start by mid-September, which is ten days away. I hope Tata doesn't miss this.

P.S: I am sitting on the fence for JTP, if it turns out to be as good on road as it looks on paper. However, if things keep getting delayed, I may have to look other way.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:49   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nice - supposed to be a Diwali gift for the Indian market? What's NRG mean? It's going to come in this branding and not JTP?
My guess, NRG seems like a play on the word energy. Where R will mostly stand for race or racing.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:31   #102
BHPian

So I just ran a casual search on trademarks on Ministry of Commerce website (link: https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/tmrpubl...h/frmmain.aspx) and look what showed up:

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-trademark.jpg

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-jtp.jpg

It looks like Tiago NRG and Tiago EXO are registered while there is no mention of Tiago JTP. On the other hand, there is JTP trademark registered by JT Special Vehicles which a JV of Tata Motors and Jayem. This is confusing.
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

If i were TML, i would not call it a Tiago JTP - it makes no sense.
1. the term JTP does not sound sporty at all - nowhere near a GT or an RS or TRD. I doubt it would make it past the first market research session.
2. Most of the other factory tuning outfits had invested significantly in brand building (like AMG or M or Cooper). JTP is virtually non existent at this point. Tata would end up paying for building of a brand which belongs to someone else (when tata has its own sub brands like the dicor, or racemo, and is perfectly capable of making its own)
3. JTP appears to be trademarked by a third party. Why would tata pay to license a trademark which adds zero value to the car?
Old 4th September 2018, 10:13   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Most of the other factory tuning outfits had invested significantly in brand building (like AMG or M or Cooper). JTP is virtually non existent at this point.
I agree that JTP is just an abbreviation which does not resonate with anything today but then, AMG or M or Cooper must have been similar when they were first introduced. I guess Tata is trying similarly to invest in a performance division which can give a sporty, distinctive identity to regular models.

Quote:
2. Tata would end up paying for building of a brand which belongs to someone else (when tata has its own sub brands like the dicor, or racemo, and is perfectly capable of making its own)
Tata's core expertise is not in making tuned hot hatches or extracting juice from the regular cars. Hence they seem to have partnered with Jayem who provide that expertise and work alongside for creating a brand. I believe AMG and M also work in a similar way, or at least did in early days.

Quote:
JTP appears to be trademarked by a third party. Why would tata pay to license a trademark which adds zero value to the car?
JTP is registered by JT Special Vehicles which is a 50:50 JV of Tata Motors and Jayem. Yes, the word JTP may not add value with the first launch but this can lead to Nexon JTP and performance variants of upcoming Tata cars. It only one good product to establish the brand.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:15   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If i were TML, i would not call it a Tiago JTP - it makes no sense.
I think TATA is doing minimal work too - the whole testing seems to be concentrated around Jayam Auto. Could be the reason why the branding is JTP instead of a new TATA based one.

However - I wonder what was the need for the tie up when TATA had the Nexon version of the engine ready to plonk in to the Tiago. May be they aren't all that interested due to low volumes - whereas Jayam being a new player might be!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks