Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 20:27   #226
BHPian

re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
What race track is featured on the engine cover? Kari Motor Speedway?
Even I was wondering, but, I think not. The layout of what's on the engine cover is not even close to Kari Motor Speedway's layout. See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-kms01.png  

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-kms.png  

TangoSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:39   #227
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, how did the Tiago and the Tigor fare in the crash tests? Or have they not been tested at all?
Old 25th October 2018, 20:41   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just curious, how did the Tiago and the Tigor fare in the crash tests? Or have they not been tested at all?

They have not been tested since there is no central crash testing facility in India. Global NCAP / Euro NCAP selectively picks cars from across the globe ( sometimes manufacturers send them willingly as well).

If it were crash tested, Tata would have advertised it like they did for the Nexon
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:50   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
They have not been tested since there is no central crash testing facility in India. Global NCAP / Euro NCAP selectively picks cars from across the globe ( sometimes manufacturers send them willingly as well).

If it were crash tested, Tata would have advertised it like they did for the Nexon
Nexon was tested by Global NCAP. Tata does have a crash test facility in Pune. They do conduct crash tests on all of the cars, they just do not reveal as its not mandatory in India. If they start disclosing this, I may not be surprised to see other manufactures boosting the safety despite car being not safe.

Quote:
The crash test facility is as well the first for an Indian car maker that is used to test PV, CV and defense vehicles. The crash test facility is equipped with conducting frontal, offset, pole, and side-pole impact tests for passenger vehicles. For busses, static rollover test is conducted to check the strength of the bus top superstructure. A pendulum test (oscillation of the truck’s cabin during impact) is also conducted for trucks to check the damages of the cabin and the safety of the driver and occupants. Giving all the readings for the crash tests are the test dummies that are used for various tests like frontal crash, side crash etc. The cost of one dummy is north of Rs 1.2 crore. And they have a family of dummies for testing. The crash test facility uses high speed motion capture camera and non-flickering lights. There is also a transparent glass panel that houses another high speed camera on the floor at the very end of the impact area to capture the damages borne by the underbody during the crash.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:14   #230
BHPian

Apart from the mechanical tweaks, TATA has done a very commendable job on enhancing the exteriors. The changes are tastefully implemented without going overboard. The faux rear diffuser, bonnet vent, sportier front bumper, dark highlights, fatter rubber and a dual exhaust unit impart the desired sporty look without trying too hard to stand out. In fact, they have managed to strike the right balance - neither understated like the Polo GT nor over the top like the Abarth Punto with those vinyl stickers.
greenoval is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:31   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Needs better tyres for sure. I have cornered harder than this on the Linea without the tyres squealing this bad.
Looks like they have used Apollo Alnac 4G tyres in these cars. It's definitely good enough for a car with 114ps.
Sam_GTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:35   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more details of the JTP Twins.

-The cars will get a 1.2-litre, Turbocharged, 3-cylinder engine making 112 bhp Of peak power and 150 Nm Of peak torque.

- Both the cars will acc. from 0-100 kmph in under 10 seconds and get a 5-Speed manual gearbox.

- Ground clearance for both cars stands at 166 mm. And both cars run on 185/65 R15 tyres and 15-inch alloy wheels

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th October 2018 at 21:37.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:55   #233
Senior - BHPian

Fun fact!

I don't know if this is true but Rushlane quotes the following fact:

Quote:
0-100 kmph acceleration is achieved in 10.38 seconds, while 100-0 kmph braking is done in 29.98 meters.
Link:https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ti...-12276358.html

29.98 metres=98.36 feet.

For a better perspective check out this link:https://www.motortrend.com/news/20-b...nces-recorded/

Even the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 takes 100 feet. Swallow that! But I haven't seen any other site mention it but I really wish it's true!

Even if they did achieve this figure, here are the probable reasons:
1) The car is light. Lower the weight better the braking!
2) Chances are it was tested at Kari motor speedway- the surface there has very high coefficient of friction. This helps prevent locking of the tyres to a good extent.

Reasons why it's unlikely!
1) The best braking distances are achieved when the tyres do not lock up on braking. That requires some serious piece of rubber. 185/60 R15 does not have any good high performance tyre options.
2) You need serious braking kit. I wonder how different it is from the regular Tiago/Tigor.
Turbohead is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 22:05   #234
BHPian

Awesome poise while cornering.
https://twitter.com/Vivekvivi/status...648007168?s=20
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-screenshot_201810252202022.png  

Last edited by damodar : 25th October 2018 at 22:35.
damodar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 22:36   #235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Even if they did achieve this figure, here are the probable reasons:
1) The car is light. Lower the weight better the braking!
2) Chances are it was tested at Kari motor speedway- the surface there has very high coefficient of friction. This helps prevent locking of the tyres to a good extent.

Reasons why it's unlikely!
1) The best braking distances are achieved when the tyres do not lock up on braking. That requires some serious piece of rubber. 185/60 R15 does not have any good high performance tyre options.
2) You need serious braking kit. I wonder how different it is from the regular Tiago/Tigor.
It is an official figure quoted by Tata in their own presentation. It may be a bit too optimistic but shouldn't be much far off the real distance. And yes it's really good, 100 feet is roughly regarded as a very good braking distance as a general rule of thumb.

Another thing i would like to point out is that it is managing this with Drums at the rear. As much as we all would like to see discs all around, a basic research on the internet showed me that most important adavantage of discs is the better cooling that it offers and consequently lesser brake fade. While that is obviously better and very very useful on a track, i feel it is a decent compromise that Tata has made to keep the costs down. In most real case scenarios, you wouldn't be doing multiple high speed braking in a small period of time such that you would experience brake fade.
Downhill driving is one such scenario but as we all know better to use engine braking in that case.

Last edited by agambhandari : 25th October 2018 at 22:37.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 22:48   #236
Senior - BHPian

Many here may not agree with me, but this should have been the default engine offered on the Tigor, my XZA takes almost twice as much time as the JTP to reach 100 and they could have found more buyers if they had an automatic version of the JTP.

For someone whose running changes between 3000km a month to 1000(even less than that), its not a good idea to go for a diesel engine and petrol manual is just too much pain to drive when the running is high! almost all the current NA petrol motors, in the sub 10L segment have extremely poor highway performance or single digit FE,this can be seen across all the brands.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 22:48   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven GT TSI over 45000km in 4 years. Horrible brakes, had many heart in mouth situations on NH8, NH4. Rear drums on a performance car is suicidal.

How much do these guys save by skipping rear discs? Daily ICU charges in any decent hospital in Pune is INR10k+.

Please!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th October 2018 at 05:52. Reason: Typo.
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 23:05   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have driven GT TSI over 45000km in 4 years. Horrible brakes, had many heart in mouth situations on NH8, NH4. Rear drums on a performance car is suicidal.

How much do these guys save by skipping rear discs? Daily ICU charges in any decent hospital in Pune is INR10k +

Please!
Just because GT TSi has horrible brakes doesn't mean these JTP twins should have horrible brakes too! There are many other cars even above the GT TSi with rear drum brakes and doing alright.

As per some media reports so far, the JTP twins have very good braking performance. So let's atleast wait for the official review before concluding anything.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th October 2018 at 05:53. Reason: Quoted post edited for typo.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 23:34   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have driven GT TSI over 45000km in 4 years. Horrible brakes, had many heart in mouth situations on NH8, NH4. Rear drums on a performance car is suisidal.

How much do these guys save by skipping rear discs? Daily ICU charges in any decent hospital in Pune is INR10k +

Please!
Just adding rear brakes doesn't do any good. As an example, the Baleno RS with the all 4 discs has a worse stopping distance than the regular Baleno. There are many factors that could improve braking rather than just putting discs. Tata has most likely taken care of such issues.

And as for the GT TSI, VW follows an unofficial rule of offering all discs in a car with over 100bhp, no idea why it was skipped or why it has such lacklustre brakes.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 01:27   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Wallpaper, anyone?

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-img20181026wa0001.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks