Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 07:50   #481
BHPian

Re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The reason why those Maruti's feel faster is primarily because of the weight. Like you mentioned, they are way lighter despite being from a segment above.

Now, I wish I could sing praises for it, I really do - but we've clearly seen in NCAP tests how Maruti has compromised on safety for these weight reductions in the name of profits and FE. 2 stars even with dual airbags!

No use crying when such NCAP reports come out, and then using those products as benchmarks against every other competition - Only result is that Maruti will be singing all the way to the bank while honest efforts like the JTPs will be made to suffer in sales.
+1 to that. Even though swift, ignis, baleno etc are belonging to one segment above tiago, there is no denying that they have poor build. I drove the current gen swift and god i felt that tinny feeling more pronounced. It was always nagging my mind. Also got a chance to travel in tigor. I was amazed how good this little car is. The JTP twins even though a segment below the big hatchbacks are still much more better as a overall package. Its high time we support better built cars to make the market leader to realise and change its cost cutting strategies.
VishJ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:47   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The reason why those Maruti's feel faster is primarily because of the weight. Like you mentioned, they are way lighter despite being from a segment above.

Now, I wish I could sing praises for it, I really do - but we've clearly seen in NCAP tests how Maruti has compromised on safety for these weight reductions in the name of profits and FE. 2 stars even with dual airbags!

No use crying when such NCAP reports come out, and then using those products as benchmarks against every other competition - Only result is that Maruti will be singing all the way to the bank while honest efforts like the JTPs will be made to suffer in sales.
Absolutely agree to that. And it's not the first time a Swift is scoring so poor. The previous gen was 0. However, the bitter truth is as long as people keep buying in tens of thousands, it won't bring in any changes. If only Maruti did a Tata and went through a complete transformation. Also Maruti products and service is not cheap anymore at all. But still people are buying.

Hopefully Tata entering the premium hatch segment prompts some changes. Fiat had it from day one, brilliant products all wasted due to horrible management decisions.

I may have sounded negative, but I too hope the JTP is a success. What I said was my opinion. It does give hope to us enthusiasts, a ray of hope that there are manufacturers thinking about us. The harsh reality is a lot/majority of BHPians would go for test drive and come back saying it's brilliant. But how many would buy it. Am sure the 'I Booked my Car' Thread would be a great indication of it in the coming months.

I am again reiterating, as a product in isolation it is brilliant. However at the price point what it offers, I have my doubts. I had the same opinion about the Yaris against a lot of backlash. The Figo S, FreeStyle are brilliant products, everyone recommends when someone posts a What Car query. Whats the conversion rate to those recomendations? Just hope I am wrong this time, and JTP sells enough for Tata to continue working with Jayem bringing out even better products and also forcing other manufacturers to do the same. A JTP Nexon would definitely get the Creta running for cover.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 14:01   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke on the number provided on the JTP website today. It went to a centralized location and the lady said she'll have the person concerned call me back. Got a call back in 10 mins and the guy introduced himself as the responsible one in Chennai for the JTP twins sales contact.

The TD cars are expected last Nov or first week of December. Concorde Guindy has a Tigor JTP demo car if one wants to take a look. I told him to call me back once TD cars come in. A little disappointed - a sale is best closed when a lot of enthusiasm is floating around. TATA some how seems to excel at the art of making the product availabe after drying down the hype around the good products.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th November 2018 at 14:03.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 14:11   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Spoke on the number provided on the JTP website today. It went to a centralized location and the lady said she'll have the person concerned call me back. Got a call back in 10 mins and the guy introduced himself as the responsible one in Chennai for the JTP twins sales contact.

The TD cars are expected last Nov or first week of December. Concorde Guindy has a Tigor JTP demo car if one wants to take a look. I told him to call me back once TD cars come in. A little disappointed - a sale is best closed when a lot of enthusiasm is floating around. TATA some how seems to excel at the art of making the product availabe after drying down the hype around the good products.
No demo cars or pricelist in Hyderabad as well. Concorde motors Hyderabad told me the same . If the product delivers the hype im ready to wait .
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-img20181114wa0002.jpg  

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-img20181114wa0003.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 15:17   #485
Senior - BHPian

Tigor JTP is available for test drive @Kropex Singasandra, Hosur road showroom.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 15:26   #486
WDB
BHPian

Same here in Ahmedabad, i called up the local dealership; the TD is not yet reached the showroom, he was talking about some delay
WDB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:23   #487
BHPian

Has anyone got a test drive of the JTP twins at the dealerships? I have been busy (and apparently so are the Mods guessing by the delay in our official review) so didn't have the opportunity to check them out.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:52   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Same here in Ahmedabad, i called up the local dealership; the TD is not yet reached the showroom, he was talking about some delay
This exactly is what ails Tata and they are not able to fix it for years. They launch a car with much fanfare and then logistics are a failure. No cars available for TD, Long waiting times for deliveries to start after launch. This is happening for nearly every launch and I expect the same will be repeated with Harrier as well.

Last edited by AkMar : 23rd November 2018 at 09:53. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:05   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
They launch a car with much fanfare and then logistics are a failure. No cars available for TD, Long waiting times for deliveries to start after launch.

This is indeed frustrating. To make matter worse, its not like JTP is going to be available pan-India. Tata has selected handful of cities and there is just one variant and only two colours. How difficult is it then to have all dealers receive one Tiago and one Tigor JTP each within a week from launch. Looks as though marketing team decided to launch the car and forgot to tell the production guys. They are probably waking up now to figure out when and how to make these cars. While JTP twins are great, there is actually nothing exotic about them, so Tata can't claim that there are challenges in sourcing some components.

I was very excited about Tiago JTP and had even planned to bring one home during diwali. The festive season is gone, even the calendar year is on its way out. I wonder if Tata will deliver any JTPs in 2018.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:15   #490
Senior - BHPian

Still waiting for the tbhp review. I was hoping for it to be in quicker since its not a full review unless there is more than meets the eye.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:31   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tigor JTP is available for test drive @Kropex Singasandra, Hosur road showroom.
Tigor JTP is also available at Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle. Saw it when I took my Tiago there for some issues.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:09   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The Swift will give you so much more in features, great resale, more space and significantly easier to drive in the city and the tag of a premium hatch.
I am sorry to say but if space, bells and whistles and resale are what you are after, you probably are better off with a Baleno or a Honda Jazz.

You don't buy cars like the Tiago JTP, Figo S, Abarth, etc for space, resale, etc. You buy them cause they are unique. Cars that make you feel special as you walk up to them. Cars that stand out from the crowd. Yes; I'll take that functional air scoop on the hood and that is a segment first.

As a past Linea T Jet owner, this car made me feel special every single day. Approaching the car, getting inside, settling down, starting her up and giving her the beans whenever I could. Even a regular, mundane office commute in the car felt different. The occasional thumbs up or gesture from another enthusiast acknowledging that you are driving something special. It is a feeling I cannot explain well enough and has to be experienced.

Cars like the JTP are rare. They will never be popular in our market. They are not to be bought for features or practicality. You buy a car like this for pure driving pleasure.

If you are someone who has even a little bit of gasoline flowing through your veins, I suggest you close your eyes and pick up some of these special cars. They don't come often.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd November 2018 at 11:10.
sandeepmohan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:42   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
+1 to that. Even though swift, ignis, baleno etc are belonging to one segment above tiago, there is no denying that they have poor build. I drove the current gen swift and god i felt that tinny feeling more pronounced. It was always nagging my mind. Also got a chance to travel in tigor. I was amazed how good this little car is. The JTP twins even though a segment below the big hatchbacks are still much more better as a overall package. Its high time we support better built cars to make the market leader to realise and change its cost cutting strategies.
Ha ha, you know your dream will always remain a dream. Want proof? Come to new Ertiga thread, and see for yourself. The enthusiasts, the knowledgeable lot of people in India (we call ourselves these right??) even after knowing the poor crash results of the Heartect platform in Swift are all lined up to praise the new Ertiga for the increased space and features and very few have the doubt on the crash worthiness.
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:14   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Ha ha, you know your dream will always remain a dream. Want proof? Come to new Ertiga thread, and see for yourself. The enthusiasts, the knowledgeable lot of people in India (we call ourselves these right??) even after knowing the poor crash results of the Heartect platform in Swift are all lined up to praise the new Ertiga for the increased space and features and very few have the doubt on the crash worthiness.
You need to get your facts straight. MSIL has launched the crash test results of the new Ertiga and it is compliant with the BNVSAP norms.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/2018-ma...-12288536.html
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:24   #495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
You need to get your facts straight. MSIL has launched the crash test results of the new Ertiga and it is compliant with the BNVSAP norms.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/2018-ma...-12288536.html
'Maruti' released, not an independent agency. By the way as Maruti stated their new generation models are BNVSAP crash worthy, does that mean an unstable structure is fine in BNVSAP norms or the 'crash speed' may be less or may be Maruti has done platform degradation in the new Swift in India.

Last edited by pavi : 23rd November 2018 at 13:29.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed