Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 09:50   #76
BHPian

re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So lower weight apart, nothing is indicating that the Tiago Sport is going to be the special hot-hatch that we have all been waiting for.
Taking the heaviest figures from their brochures, Tiago weighs around 1080 Kg while Nexon does 1305 Kg.
Simple maths reveal that JTP Tiago would have 101 PS per tonne while Nexon has 84 PS per tonne.
That's considerable difference in my opinion.
Also you can compare power to weight ratios of other hot hatches we have, for reference.

Also, about gearbox, it is not clear that will JTP Tiago will get a 6 speed unit from Nexon or not. I am quite sure it will.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Taking the heaviest figures from their brochures, Tiago weighs around 1080 Kg while Nexon does 1305 Kg.
Simple maths reveal that JTP Tiago would have 101 PS per tonne while Nexon has 84 PS per tonne.
That's considerable difference in my opinion.
Also you can compare power to weight ratios of other hot hatches we have, for reference.
Agreed, which is why I had mentioned that weight difference apart, I am not sure about the other benefits. I raise this question solely because, Tata could have made the Tiago Sport on their own - as they already have the same engine with a turbo and running a higher state of tune from their portfolio. If we take the case of JCW for the Mini, or Abarth for Fiat they go flat-out with a wild state of tune and hence calls for a special division to work on them. I am still hopeful, as the Tiago Sport might have special sounding exhaust and a really special suspension setup.

All said and done, Tata certainly should be lauded for this special effort especially in a country that was never known to be appreciative of fast cars
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:57   #78
BHPian

I also heard from a source that it would get a revamped suspension setup as well and sportier interiors. Also that Narain Karthikeyan has been testing this vehicle and they could launch it sooner that we expect. Should be in the ballpark of ~6.5L ex-showroom.
Akshitsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 11:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Tiago JTP spied testing again in Coimbatore,

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatiagojtprearspyshotiab.jpg

Has a number of distinguishing features to set itself apart from the regular Tata Tiago.

Quote:
Modified front bumper, smoked projector headlamps, gloss black honeycomb front grille with gloss black frame and red-coloured JTP logo, hood vent, red ORVM caps, 15-inch six-double spoke alloy wheels wrapped in 185/60 R15 tyres, side skirts, gloss black roof, faux rear diffuser, gloss black rear spoiler, red JTP logo on the tailgate and twin-pipe exhaust.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th June 2018 at 12:02.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 19:42   #80
BHPian

If Tata plays their cards right, the Tiago JTP may just be as much an enthusiast's car as the Figo Sport/Baleno RS. There is no point comparing to the Polo GT twins since without a doubt it's overall dynamics cannot match up to the German superminis.

The numbers:
Underlined the highest specs.

Tata Tiago JTP - 110.2 BHP/tonne || 153.06 Nm/Tonne
MS Baleno RS - 106 BHP/Tonne || 157 Nm/Tonne
VW Polo GT TSI - 092 BHP/Tonne || 158 Nm/Tonne
VW Polo GT TDI - 094.9 BHP/Tonne || 217 Nm/Tonne
Ford Figo 1.5D Sport - 095 BHP/Tonne || 206 Nm/Tonne

**Tiago Petrol's kerb weight is 930Kgs. I have considered Tiago JTPs kerb weight to be 980 Kgs.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 7th June 2018 at 19:45.
nerd1200 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 09:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
If Tata plays their cards right, the Tiago JTP may just be as much an enthusiast's car as the Figo Sport/Baleno RS. There is no point comparing to the Polo GT twins since without a doubt it's overall dynamics cannot match up to the German superminis.
I would argue that the Tata JTP cars could be more dynamically competent and sporty than the Polo GT twins for a few reasons.
  • The suspension will be tuned for a sporty ride while the Polo has no such enhancement.
  • The steering in the Tata JTP cars also will be tuned for feedback as per all accounts whereas the steering in the Polo while accurate, is devoid of feel.
  • The DSG in the petrol Polo does not give the same excitement that one would get from a manual. Not to mention the reported issues with the DSG on this very forum.

Given the horror stories of VW service and the fact that the Polo is now a dated design, I'd prefer the Tata JTP cars over the Polo any day.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 13:07   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Team,

Here's a Team-BHP Exclusive: The Tigor JTP was caught on a testing run by my good friend DJ Bro on the roads around Coimbatore.

The test car was accompanied by a couple of Tiago JTP test mules.

RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 19:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Will there be only a petrol version or do they plan to bring in the diesel version too?? That should be a hot combination and probably will give the best PTW & TTW ratios.
Old 11th June 2018, 13:13   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Will there be only a petrol version or do they plan to bring in the diesel version too?? That should be a hot combination and probably will give the best PTW & TTW ratios.
Only petrol based on what they mentioned at the Auto expo. 1.2L turbo petrol with similar specs as the Nexon but reworked.

A diesel wouldn't make sense and their option would be the 1.5L which is too big for the Tiago.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 10:45   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Tiago JTP spotted testing in Nilgiris,

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatiagojtprearthreequartersleftsidespyshot.jpg

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatiagojtprearthreequartersrightsidespyshot.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 15:43   #86
BHPian

I wonder how much longer they need to test for. However, the fact that there is a Baleno RS along with the car is intriguing. Looks like the performance is being gauged against the Baleno RS.
Old 11th July 2018, 16:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I wonder how much longer they need to test for. However, the fact that there is a Baleno RS along with the car is intriguing. Looks like the performance is being gauged against the Baleno RS.
That does not seem to be an RS to me.
RS has black inserts on bumpers.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 20:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
The Baleno could be a part of regular traffic on this route. Given the fact that it's downhill on the ghats, the cars do get bunched up in traffic. The original article doesn't mention the Baleno being there.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:52   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Tigor JTP performance 110 PS spied on test – Launch by end 2018.

Quote:
New Tata Tigor JTP will be powered by a 1.2 litre, 3 cylinder, turbocharged engine that offers 110 PS power at 5,000 rpm and 150 Nm torque at 2,000-4,000 rpm mated to a 5 speed manual transmission.
Quote:
Tata Tigor JTP is expected to be based on the mid-spec XT variant of standard Tigor. It will receive some exterior and interior updates as compared to the stock model. Front-end will be dominated by a large glossy black grille with black frame, new bumpers, and a JTP logo displayed on the upper grille.
The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatigorjtpspiedindialaunchsport5750x430.jpg

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatigorjtpspiedindialaunchsport1.jpg

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-tatatigorjtpspiedindialaunchsport3.jpg
Source:
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 10:13   #90
BHPian

The cars look great. But the issue is that the sales of the Tigor have been pretty abysmal. It looks like it's mostly the Taxi market that's picking these up, because of the large price difference and large boot. The engines are really unexciting, and that's going to bother a lot of potential owners who like to drive. They should have changed over to the Turbo engines when the Nexon was introduced. There's a good chance that by the time the Festive season rolls around and Tata finally gets around to launching these, they will have become irrelevant.

I think they should make this engine standard in the Tigor, considering the extra weight.

Last edited by vivekgk : 29th July 2018 at 10:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks