Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 14:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Mod Note: Our JTP Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Tata Motors is reportedly working on a faster version of the Tiago hatchback. The Indian automaker was earlier expected to launch a sportier version of the Bolt hatchback by the end of this year. The car was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo. But, recent reports suggest that Tata has shelved the Bolt Sport in favour of a sportier version of the Tiago.

The Bolt hasn't been a successful car for Tata Motors. Thus, the company believes that a costlier Bolt Sport that will probably deliver a lower fuel economy will not attract many customers. On the other hand, the Tiago appears to be turning the fortunes of Tata Motors in the passenger car segment. In just 3 months from its launch, the Tiago has become the best-selling car in Tata's portfolio by clocking more than 5,000 unit sales in July 2016. Hence, it would make more sense to introduce a sportier version of the Tiago, than that of the Bolt.

Though details about the Tiago Sport aren't yet available, rumours suggest that it will be powered by a turbocharged version of the 1.2-litre, three-cylinder petrol engine that will also power the upcoming Tata Nexon compact SUV. But, while the Nexon is likely to have an approximate power output of around 105 BHP, Tata is expected to boost the Tiago Sport's power to around 120 BHP by employing a larger turbocharger.

Other changes on the Tiago Sport are likely to include stiffer damping, a lowered suspension, and a body kit.

Source: Autocar India

The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs-2.jpeg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2018 at 10:32. Reason: Link to review :)
dZired is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:23   #2
BHPian

re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Wise decision from TATA to forego the plan of a sportier Bolt. As already mentioned in the article, a more expensive BOLT wouldn't make any sense. I don't see anyone even considering buying it when you are very close to Polo TSi territory. Tiago Sport is not only a wise decision but also a bold one as there are individuals who might be interested in a sportier hatch priced lower than the premium hatchback segment. Best wishes to TATA on this and also hope that they churn out a good product right from the start and do not end up testing the product on their initial customers.

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 16th August 2016 at 14:42. Reason: A typo corrected
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie claims that the body kit on offer with the Tiago Sport will be the same "Aktiv" kit which is available as a separate accessory, in three shades - White, Blue & Brown.

Given the market response, Tata Motors is also mulling a Kite5 "Sport" version too in the future.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good decision by Tata on the Bolt sport. The Bolt just doesn't look like a fast car, IMO.

The Tiago in comparison looks much better and will definitely be cheaper by a good 2 - 3L than the other sporty hatchbacks. It makes a lot of sense to launch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie claims that the body kit on offer with the Tiago Sport will be the same "Aktiv" kit which is available as a separate accessory, in three shades - White, Blue & Brown.

Given the market response, Tata Motors is also mulling a Kite5 "Sport" version too in the future.
Any info on the launch timeline?

Last edited by safari_lover : 16th August 2016 at 16:41.
safari_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:02   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering that the Nexon has a built in sporty look and is heavier than the tiago it seems odd that a 120 bhp Tiago is being considered while Nexon would have only 105 bhp.

Would be good if they offer this higher bhp variant as an option from start in the Nexon as well. Already EcoSport, Creta etc have engines in this power range.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2016 at 10:05. Reason: corrected to Tiago
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

From numerous Indica sports to Bolt sport and now Tiago sport, I feel Tata should be banned from using the word sport They have raised public hopes and let us down for literally decades now singing the same song. I would definitely like to see a 120 horsepower Tiago, without the roof rails and that silly "aktiv" body kit. Something more sporty looking would be appreciated.
IshaanIan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
From numerous Indica sports to Bolt sport and now Tiago sport, I feel Tata should be banned from using the word sport They have raised public hopes and let us down for literally decades now singing the same song. I would definitely like to see a 120 horsepower Tiago, without the roof rails and that silly "aktiv" body kit. Something more sporty looking would be appreciated.
When a manufacture like M&M can have a Bolero/Scorpio Sport or a Toyota an Altis Sport earlier then whats wrong with Tata's using the Sport moniker with their model?
How many manufacturers are offering a 120 HP car which is actually affordable. Lets learn to give them the credit of at least trying and upping the overall Auto market.
Maverick1977 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Would be good if they offer this higher bhp variant as an option from start in the Nexon as well. Already EcoSport, Creta etc have engines in this power range.
IMO the Nexon is aiming throughly at Brezza ,Ecosport rather than the Creta, which will be closer to the Hexa territory. And the Nexon platform itself is using lightweight materials to achieve good power to weight ratio. This mix will produce a well rounded vehicle.

Quote:
From numerous Indica sports to Bolt sport and now Tiago sport, I feel Tata should be banned from using the word sport They have raised public hopes and let us down for literally decades now singing the same song.
This project looks more promising than ever looking at the sales charts of Tiago. Like Baleno RS, the Tata's can swing the waiting list customers towards the more expensive sport ones even changing the perception among the young buyers and their profits. Like after the Autoexpo this year, I've come around to believe in Tata products. They have truly done an amazing job with Hexa and the quality of their overall lineup has significantly increased that they are in my shortlist for my family's small car.
johannskaria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
When a manufacture like M&M can have a Bolero/Scorpio Sport or a Toyota an Altis Sport earlier then whats wrong with Tata's using the Sport moniker with their model?
How many manufacturers are offering a 120 HP car which is actually affordable.
I assume you own a Tata product? There is no need to get so defensive by default everytime someone mentions the brand buddy. Did I say there is anything wrong in having a Tiago Sport? I even mentioned how much I'd like to see one in the very same short post of mine that you quoted. I was merely joking about how they have teased us with sports versions of their indica and bolt for decades.
Quote:
Lets learn to give them the credit of at least trying and upping the overall Auto market.
I think what we actually need to learn is to read and interpret posts properly especially when quoting them

PS: no offense meant, sorry for the harsh tone, I am just fed up with the number of people who take offense simply because they own cars from unpopular brands and are wired to interpret most statements as bad ones and then patronize me with nonsense like we ought to learn how to give credit. I'll give Tata credit once they have launched the model thankyou very much.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th August 2016 at 18:46.
IshaanIan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From numerous Indica sports to Bolt sport and now Tiago sport, I feel Tata should be banned from using the word sport They have raised public hopes and let us down for literally decades now singing the same song.
True,
Quoting myself on the bolt sport
where i quoted myself on the Nano Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
.... and it joins a long list of illustrious vapourware tata cars before it (sport indica, Electric indica, Indica vista, Prima... .
After hearing tata cry wolf for so many supposedly new products, I'll believe this one when it actually happens (probably never!)
quoting myself from an earlier post
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:35   #11
BHPian

Good to see the news about the sports variant of a car in B1 segment!
This will open up space for the introduction of more performance oriented cars in mass market.

On the other hand, the cars in India are known to sell stripped down version of cars, especially in the area of safety, to cut costs. While they are making performance cars, they should also make sure that they are provide cars that score full marks on safety front.
For example, a basic variant car, without airbags or ABS does not make any sense when the power figure is 120 BHP, and the power to weight ratio is class leading.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys. That's enough. Let us show some maturity. Why make everything an issue to kill each other over? Someone says something which you do not agree with. Happens all the time. Learn to ignore. Let us hope we keep the discussion clean here.

Last edited by Zappo : 16th August 2016 at 19:06.
Zappo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From numerous Indica sports to Bolt sport and now Tiago sport, I feel Tata should be banned from using the word sport
So true. They have been teasing us with 'sports' models for so long, I will believe it when I see them launching it.

Quote:
Well, absolutely no issues, but only thing is, they should launch it once.

On a serious note, I would actually LOVE to see a proper sports version of Tiago, and I would have no qualms in trying one. A small hatch with 120 bhp, lowered suspension, stiff springs and good handling - it will be a sure shot potent pocket rocket. Tiago already ticks so many boxes and it will not hurt to have a more powerful engine for those who loves the power.

Quote:
I was merely joking about how they have teased us with sports versions of their indica and bolt for decades.
+1 to this and to Greenhorns comment.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th August 2016 at 19:13.
theexperthand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Any info on the launch timeline?
Not yet.

Engine is still being fine-tuned as we speak so I would give it at least 2-3 months.

In the case of Tata - 4-5 months.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:19   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess now TATA's credibility (on TBHP) w.r.t "Sport" usage now lies in it's actually releasing a 120 bhp Tiago ... and soon (as in in 2016 or latest by early 2017).

Quite funny but then they have dug this hole for themselves.

They did have a Vista (Sport Trim) in red at their Concorde Showroom in Worli/ Prabhadevi. It was just a trim but really looked quite good. I was seated in the showroom right next to it for a long while (w.r.t Aria) and simply admired that Sport Trim. A Sport model with more power with the newly found Tiago Quality, looks and numbers should be an instant hit (In numbers). (Even more than Abarth (a la Fiat)).
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed