Team-BHP - Now, Hyundai plans SHVS-type hybrids for India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Now, Hyundai plans SHVS-type hybrids for India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/179330-now-hyundai-plans-shvs-type-hybrids-india.html)

After the successful launches of Suzuki's version on soft hybrid in the form of 'SHVS' Technology and Mahindra offering what is known as Micro Hybrid technology it is now Hyundai which will be offering something similar in the Indian market.

Quote:

According to Y K Koo, MD and CEO of Hyundai India, the targeted year for 'soft hybrid' technology to roll out into the latest Hyundai products will be 2017 with mid-size segments getting the first pick
Hyundai could also push for mild hybrid or conventional hybrid variants for its most popular existing cars like the Elite i20 and the Creta in the future to make them more environmentally friendly and also to avail of the government's FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric vehicles in India) scheme which gives excise and other tax benefits to electric and hybrid auto makers.

Source

Just what I was afraid of. First Maruti, then Mahindra (link) and now Hyundai.

With the government not understanding hybrid technology and giving SHVS the full tax benefits of a hybrid, every manufacturer will now look at shortcuts to save tax. These SHVS mild hybrids don't deserve such tax concessions - they are hardly any less polluting!

Tomorrow, someone will place a tiny battery and an electric motor in the boot and claim full EV benefits :Frustrati:Frustrati!

This technology is really quite dumb. I was hoping for more serious parallel plug in hybrid technology for my next car but I doubt it will be available with manufacturers resorting to such shortcuts. I was hoping for Revolo to launch and try it out but there hasnt been any news from them in ages

Total nonsense! I hope GST eliminates this glaring loophole.

Wake up decision makers at Department of Heavy Industries!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4042496)

With the government not understanding hybrid technology

Absolutely!

I think the government understands it very well. Whatever laws were laid out, pertaining to taxes and vehicles, probably has a lot of loopholes and it is an indirect nod from the government to go ahead and exploit !

To believe that the government is ignorant, of anything, is a "convenient perception" doing the rounds by design. :D

This "law of the land" which the car manufacturers are so happy to cite (and ABIDE BY) at the drop of a hat, is not without reasons: it is VERY conducive to unethical business practices. What a joke, and what a laughing stock we are getting to be as a nation! A hybrid with ~100watts of regenerated power in a 100kW vehicle!

I'm actually quite pleased with this development. While I agree that a full hybrid vehicles would be great, Indian traffic conditions are ideally suited to stop/start technology. Given the relatively lower costs of adoption, I view this as a necessary step towards getting Indian car manufacturers to embrace the concept of full electrification, the perfect answer to India's vehicle woes.

This EXACT same phenomenon happened 10 years ago in the United States, where full hybrids from Honda and Toyota were met with mild hybrids from General Motors, who were caught unprepared. Ironic, given that GM pioneered the EV1, the full electric car that forced Honda and Toyota to develop hybrids in the first place. And out of nowhere came Tesla to finish what GM had started.

Maybe in 10 years we'll have our first desirable fully electric Indian vehicle that is a worthy alternative to a fossil fueled vehicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4042496)
With the government not understanding hybrid technology and giving SHVS the full tax benefits of a hybrid, every manufacturer will now look at shortcuts to save tax. These SHVS mild hybrids don't deserve such tax concessions - they are hardly any less polluting!

+1

In the short term, everyone is winning! The manufacturers get more sales, the consumers pay less price.

But the fall out is, there is absolutely no reason/motivation/instigation for manufacturers to invest in R&D to get actual EVs/hybrids in our market.

And how would they? As a society, we care more about saving some bucks for ourselves than the larger picture of how awful our environment has become.

Oh, and SC just blew a chance to make an impact. Want to bet the MB and BMWs start offering something like the SHVS on their cars to offset the 1% green cess?

[quote=libranof1987;4043006]+1

But the fall out is, there is absolutely no reason/motivation/instigation for manufacturers to invest in R&D to get actual EVs/hybrids in our market.

I think the other way, OE's are ready but infrastructure is not ready in India. The moment such readiness is there, OE's such as GM / Ford / Hyundai / Toyota will jump to bring in their Strong Hybrids/ EVs.

As a 1st step - Mild Hybrids are good in a way to make the customers aware of the benefits (e.g: increase in Fuel efficiency, lower pollution incase of cities like Delhi where Mild Hybrids are allowed during ODD-EVEN phase)

The batteries are still expensive for EV & Hyrbids and unless the Govt. promotes through incentives or extension of FAME sceheme (both to OE & buyers) the penetration of Eco-Vehicles will not increase.

M&M still imports its Li-Ion batteries for the e2O from China.
On the other hand ARAI & ISRO are working on developing low cost Li-Ion batteries for Automobile application.
Source: http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ady-2017-16794

However one concern is, If GST comes into effect what shall be the benefit for these Eco Vehicles.
Currently Hybrids have (12.5% Excise Duty) & EV (6%)
while under GST there shall be a single tax slab.

AFAIK the Dept.of Heavy Industry will convene some time in Q4 of this year to discuss on this concern of GST & Eco Cars

Hyundai to introduce mild-hybrid tech in India.

The company's smart fuel-saving system will make its debut on the Creta and next-gen Verna.

The Creta 'SUV' facelift which is expected in 2017 is likely to get this MILD HYBRID tech.

Quote:

the system will be similar to the ones used on select Maruti and Mahindra models sold in India. This means that the electrical system will provide drive assistance in certain instances, like accelerating, but will not be able to power the car independently.

Link

Hyundai: Mild-hybrid technology coming next year

Hyundai will be launching its mild-hybrid technology in India in 2018. This step is a part of the company’s plans to exploit the demand for hybrid and mild-hybrid cars in the country. If the plans work out as expected, Hyundai will become the third manufacturer to offer mild-hybrid cars in its portfolio, with Maruti Suzuki and Mahindra being the first two.

Hyundai India’s Managing Director and CEO – YK Koo has indicated that the company will initially be introducing mild-hybrid technology in the compact and SUV segments. However, he hasn’t mentioned what cars will be getting the said technology. The first Hyundai mild-hybrid car could be launched around May 2018.

Source: ET Auto

Would this mean we would find the Creta diesel getting cheaper? and if so what would be the approximate reduction? As far as I know it would about Rs 13,000 and a reduction of tax approximately about 12% and improved fuel economy. Are there any more cost benefits that maybe be passed onto the consumer?

Hyundai plans 2 EV's for India in 2019.

Hyundai's Kona and Xcent will be the EV's for India.

Quote:

We will import our first EV as CKD (completely knocked down) units and assemble at our Chennai plant. Later on, depending on market response, we will consider manufacturing here in India but that will take time

Link