Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would You Cross-shop Across Various Segments Before Putting Money Down?
No. I would pick a segment first, and buy a car from that segment. 65 18.79%
Yes. I don't mind a car from any segment as long as it pulls my heart strings. 272 78.61%
Don't know/ Can't Say for sure. 9 2.60%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 19:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Did you cross-shop across segments while buying your car?

After months of flip flops, my uncle finally booked a car. Now these are the cars he checked out -

Suzuki Ertiga
Suzuki Ciaz
Renault Lodgy
Renault Duster 110 PS
Renault Duster 84 PS
Honda BR-V
Honda Mobilio
Honda Jazz
Nissan Terrano
Nissan Sunny
Toyota Etios Sedan
Toyota Etios Liva Cross

Nissan Sunny and Toyota Etios made it to the final short-list, and he eventually picked up, well a Renault Duster 84 PS

If you have booked a car recently, did you first pick a segment (Premium hatchback, Compact Sedan etc) first and then bought a car in that segment? Or did you first setup a budget (say Rs. 10 Lacs) and then test drove all types of vehicles across segments, before picking one?

If you haven't booked a car recently (but might do so in the future), would you take the "top-down" approach (choosing a segment first, picking a car from that segment) or a "bottom-up" approach (choosing a budget first, picking a car from any segment).

I'm really curious to know how relevant these "comparison tests" and "shootouts" (that car magazines put up regularly) are in the real world.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th August 2016 at 19:12.
SmartCat is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 19:14   #2
BHPian

re: Did you cross-shop across segments while buying your car?

Would pick the segment first, and then buy the car. I can't remember having done any other way ever (by other family members too)
Jeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 19:23   #3
BHPian

Well it depends from person to person, need to need, choice from choice, taste from taste. If a middle class family already has 3 hatchbacks in their garage and have spare 10 lakhs lying around, I'm sure they'd choose a sedan or maybe even a crossover SUV. But if a family already has 4 SUVS, I'm sure they'd want a sedan or a hatchback or an even bigger SUV (6x6 Merc comes to mind).

I think the most important thing to consider while buying a car is budget. After which one can easily decide between a sedan, hatchback or a SUV. The market today is highly competitive and options are in an abundance. A person with a 15 lakh budget can choose from a small hatchback, bigger hatchback, small SUV, bigger SUV, small MUV, bigger MUV, small sedan or an executive sedan. Not to mention the second hand market, you can get luxury brands for that money. Or a Hayabusa too.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 27th August 2016 at 19:37.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 19:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I usually pick a segment and then look at the cars in that and one segment above and below it too. But to be honest, real like situations can be drastically different at times, especially if you have a flexible budget.

My previous 3 car purchases went somewhat like this:
1. Toyota altis in 2011: The cars shortlisted were Hyundai verna and VW vento and in the end things suddenly went in favour of the Altis.

2. Nissan Sunny in 2012 : This was an ideal buy and we narrowed it down to the C segment sedans and contenders were Honda city, VW Vento and the Sunny.

3. BMW 320d in 2013: This has to take the cake as I was literally all over the place. What started off as a suggestion to buy Ritz by my father went into a dilemma over choosing between XUV and Fortuner and in the end we ended up bringing JOY home.
drmohitg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 19:35   #5
BHPian

Started with a replacement for my Indigo CS with the newly launched Amaze, went on to EcoSport, almost finalised Fiesta Classic, then saw Vento, Verna, Cruze, Corolla, Elantra and then, by chance, a Jetta. Settled with the Jetta. Peace.

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2016 at 13:45. Reason: Typos
hubolt is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2016, 19:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Interesting thread!

I doubt the answer is going to simple though. I've been through both routes: mostly knew exactly what I wanted, but once, was all over the place.

I think it all boils down to why you are making the purchase.

For those who are buying it for a specific purpose, and especially first time buyers, will buy it for office runs, or maybe to drop kids to school, or off-road, or for road-trips. These guys will know their segment. You don't need a 4x4 to navigate through awful city traffic just to drop kids to school; nor can you take a Nano off-roading.

I was in this situation while choosing a car for dad for his office runs, and with enough space for outstation trips (got the City); or one for mum (since she preferred a hatchback, got the i20)

But when some is flexible with their usage and application, the fun starts. While in the market for a car myself, I looked at a bunch of cars and strongly considered the EcoSport and Jetta. Ended up with the EcoSport.

So, very subjective!
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 20:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

I booked a new car and expecting delivery this month. I am extremely satisfied with present car (which turns 9 this September) and would have blindly ordered a repeat order if it were available, 2016 model.
10 years ago there were distinct classification of cars into segments and picking a segment was much easier. Now these segments have been fragmented so much and to add misery even a alto class car calls itself SUV. So going by segment could extend and confuse you.
Hence my criteria was - I have a Mitsubishi Cedia - match this or just exceed. And I booked a Jetta 1.4 TSI.
RajaTaurus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 21:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Frankly if you ask me it depends on use. Someone who has to buy a car in 12/14L price range will most obviously be pulled by either the City/Elantra or the Creta for general use.

But with a specific need, a segment has to be decided. I had some rough usage + touring so got a ladder on frame based SUV with low-range.

Next car will hopefully be an Ignis, has to be high for parents to walk-in and maneuverable to be driven at congested places. Will get the AWD if it is equipped with and in petrol, as it will be city slicker.

The SUV when replaced will again be a ladder on frame based truck with low-range.

Someone who doesn't have a specific use can sure cross shop
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 23:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

I started between the Aspire, EcoSport and S-Cross 1.3, booked the 1.3, got frustrated with the waiting period, did a u-turn, booked the 1.6 and have run it for ~2000kms. So from a swift to an S-Cross 1.6, a double upgrade, at least price wise

If the 1.3 had been on schedule though, then it would have been selecting the segment and then the car, though probably the Aspire, EcoSport and the 1.3 S-Cross are not from the same segment
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 23:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the poll results so far, does this mean all those shootouts that we see in magazines-

Polo Vs i20 Vs Baleno Vs Jazz
Ecosport Vs Brezza Vs TUV300
Superb Vs Camry Vs Accord Vs Sonata

- are of no use in helping one choose a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
3. BMW 320d in 2013: This has to take the cake as I was literally all over the place. What started off as a suggestion to buy Ritz by my father went into a dilemma over choosing between XUV and Fortuner and in the end we ended up bringing JOY home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I started between the Aspire, EcoSport and S-Cross 1.3, booked the 1.3, got frustrated with the waiting period, did a u-turn, booked the 1.6 and have run it for ~2000kms. So from a swift to an S-Cross 1.6, a double upgrade, at least price wise
I guess there is a 3rd method of buying a car -

1) Start with a budget of Rs. X
2) Check out all cars between Rs. X and Rs. 2X
3) Eventually book something that costs Rs. 3X

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th August 2016 at 23:22.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 23:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looking at the poll results so far, does this mean all those shootouts that we see in magazines-

Polo Vs i20 Vs Baleno Vs Jazz
Ecosport Vs Brezza Vs TUV300
Superb Vs Camry Vs Accord Vs Sonata

- are of no use in helping one choose a car?
They do help although our forum reviews are still the best source of information. But these days sometimes it gets very difficult due to so much overlap between segments and so many variants and engine options to choose from. So if your budget is not fixed then the moon is the limit. For every 10-20k Rs basically you will find another variant/model/segment/body shape being added to your list.

Quote:
I guess there is a 3rd method of buying a car -

1) Start with a budget of Rs. X
2) Check out all cars between Rs. X and Rs. 2X
3) Eventually book something that costs Rs. 3X
Haha. Totally. And trust me this is one confusion which we all love and it never gets boring. In my case it was around 7-8X!
The additional good part of the deal is that Dad has stopped talking about buying a Ritz now or any car for that matter.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th August 2016 at 23:54.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 00:13   #12
BHPian

I hope and dream to buy a car too often to think of either choosing a segment or choosing a car which is close to heart. Sadly it doesn't happen too soon. Even if it does, the primary deciding factor always remains the budget and intended use of the vehicle.

Usually I day dream of being in such situation and choose a car/variant/color/accessories and destinations to which I would drive. And in those dreams I chose the car and brand close to my heart.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 00:36   #13
BHPian

In our family, we buy them as per our needs and not as per our wants. Like last year in September, we bought a Xylo because we needed a family tourer. Before that in March 2014 we exchanged our August 2012 Wagon R Vxi for a Swift Dzire Vdi as we needed a comfortable diesel sedan to do the monthly runs between Jaipur to Medanta, Gurgaon after our November 2011 Verito D4 met with an unfortunate accident in November 2012 for which we had filed a suit against the insurance company and won the same in 2015. We always have had a stand buy car in our home as my father's health was always a concern. So, with only Wagon R left as the sole car and the Verito suit pending in 2013 I had bought a used 2011 i10 era at first in 2013, but that just didn't work, so I sold that off and bought a 2002 OHC 1.3 for 45k which is still with me though it's not used at the moment and will be sold off after the Verito which is being repaired. Similarly I was looking for a budget AT small hatchback for doing small city chores, I got a rare M800 AT which is a lot of fun to drive as well.
We have never booked a car except Peugot 309 in 1995 and Tata Sumo in 1996. My father cancelled the Peugot 309 booking as the waiting period was insane. My father always used to buy the car off the shelf.

Last edited by wrongturn : 28th August 2016 at 00:49.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 06:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure. Though I have done it. 2005 - had all but booked the Palio-D. Then just out of curiosity checked out the Sumo Victa. Purchased the Sumo, enjoyed for 7.5 years. And missing it for the last 3.5 years ..
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 07:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Shoot outs definitely help to people like me in fine tuning the winner. The problem is, auto makers are giving a car between two segments, just a bit more than top seller, just a few thousand less and just a few more free bees.!
Buyers are running around like an enthusiastic child chasing butterflies in garden. When the child reaches near one, either it flies away or another one seems more beautiful and chases it.!
It has become like women in Saree shop. You have something in mind, but bring down entire rack, and finally take the one you saw first (because your neighbor has similar, but this one is slightly better).
RajaTaurus is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks