Team-BHP - Audi A6 Matrix 35 TFSI petrol launched at Rs. 52.75 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Audi A6 Matrix 35 TFSI petrol launched at Rs. 52.75 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/179499-audi-a6-matrix-35-tfsi-petrol-launched-rs-52-75-lakh.html)

The Audi A6 Matrix 35 TFSI has been launched in India at Rs. 52.75 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi). This is now the top-end variant of the A6 petrol, sitting above the existing 35 TFSI variant, which is priced at Rs. 48.10 lakh.

The changes on the Matrix trim compared to the regular A6 include new Matrix LED headlamps, a special S-Line body kit, and 18-inch, forged hollow spoke alloy wheels. It also gets new dynamic turn indicators embedded in the tail lights, which sweep towards the direction of turn.

Updates on the inside include a larger 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system that also offers navigation support, and is connected to a 14-speaker sound system from BOSE. Other features on offer include adaptive air suspension, eight airbags, and a comfort key feature with hands-free and gesture-based boot opening technology.

The Matrix trim continues to be powered by a 1.8-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine, which generates 187 BHP and 320 Nm of torque. This engine is mated to a 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch automatic gearbox, but doesn't get the company's Quattro all-wheel drive system. The company claims that the car can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.9 seconds.

The A6 competes with the BMW 5-Series, Jaguar XF and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

Audi A6 Matrix 35 TFSI petrol launched at Rs. 52.75 lakh-unnamed.jpg

Audi A6 Matrix 35 TFSI petrol launched at Rs. 52.75 lakh-unnamed-1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

187 bhp is pretty lame for an A6. Moreover, given the fact that this is the same engine as in the Octavia and the Superb, it tends to diminish bragging rights a bit. They should have offered at least the 2.0 TFSI. Heaven knows they are charging high enough to justify that!

Im glad the A6 petrol has launched in the matrix avatar. Or else the petrol felt like a second tier citizen to its diesel counterpart. However, this 2 litre engine isn't going to pull many people. The E200 is cheaper being a shade under 50 lakhs ex showroom. Add to the fact that the Audi is a FWD. If they launch the Audi in the S6 avatar again or the 3 litre diesel, that could persuade many buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 4045126)
187 bhp is pretty lame for an A6. Moreover, given the fact that this is the same engine as in the Octavia and the Superb, it tends to diminish bragging rights a bit. They should have offered at least the 2.0 TFSI. Heaven knows they are charging high enough to justify that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana (Post 4045154)
That sounds quite underpowered for the price tag. And those alloys somehow remind me of the Jetta's alloys.

Well, it's chief competitor is the 520i. And although it is an RWD (read, more driving joy) the outright engine grunt is lesser than the refreshed A6 TFSI.

The 520i's 2 liter power plant makes 184 HP @ 5000 RPM and a max torque of 270 NM @ 1250 - 4500 RPM.
The A6 on the other hand although is a FWD makes 190 HP @ 4200 - 6000 RPM and a max torque of 320 NM @ 1400 - 4100 RPM.

So the A6 TFSI does seem like the better engine on paper, and would probably also have better fuel efficiency owing to the slightly lesser displacement. Although that may not be the requirement of potential customers. :)

And the A6 also gets an adaptive air suspension, which I could not find mentioned on the specification sheet of the 520i. That said, the gadgetry and overall fit and finish of the A6 would definitely be a notch higher than the 520i, considering that fit n' finish is Audi's USP.

Cost wise too the 520i starts at 54 lacs ex-showroom (discounts not considered) and the A6 TFSI starts at 52.75 lacs. So if some of the optional equipment is considered additionally, the pricing is at-par in the segment.

Looks wise I definitely love the A6. It's just such a head-turner with it's clean lines and timeless design. So in my opinion, this refreshed A6 TFSI IS a better car than it was and is surely a strong contender for people looking to buy a luxury petrol sedan. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni (Post 4045275)
Well, it's chief competitor is the 520i. And although it is an RWD (read, more driving joy) the outright engine grunt is lesser than the refreshed A6 TFSI.

Thanks for the info. I did not know 520i had a similar output. But BMW 328i is 15 lakhs cheaper and more powerful than the 520i, isn't it?

Personally, I think they have completely lost the plot over here, whether it is BMW or Audi.
The 3.5V6 from Honda churns out 275Bhp and yes there will be people who will go for the Germans just because of the badge, but those people will generally select the Diesel models.
It's mostly the enthusiasts that yearn for the Petrol engines and a 1.8 churning less than 200Bhp just doesn't cut it, especially if one is spending around 60L bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdst_1 (Post 4045367)
Personally, I think they have completely lost the plot over here, whether it is BMW or Audi.
The 3.5V6 from Honda churns out 275Bhp and yes there will be people who will go for the Germans just because of the badge, but those people will generally select the Diesel models.
It's mostly the enthusiasts that yearn for the Petrol engines and a 1.8 churning less than 200Bhp just doesn't cut it, especially if one is spending around 60L bucks.

For those who just want the badge, they'll get the cheapest model - not this Matrix variant with all the bells and whistles.

But there are those chauffeur driven users who have been spoilt by the refinement of petrol engines, and will only want a petrol variant - and no amount of convincing would make them change their minds. Or for whom it would be senseless to pay extra for diesel, given their limited running (factoring discounts, and the 1% environment cess applicable in Delhi). I know quite a handful of such folks.

Plus, with the current hype over diesels being banned, many are happier purchasing petrols - especially those intending to keep it long term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana (Post 4045290)
Thanks for the info. I did not know 520i had a similar output. But BMW 328i is 15 lakhs cheaper and more powerful than the 520i, isn't it?

The 328i has been long discontinued, and today the 320D M Sport is close to 44-45L ex-showroom.

Good move by Audi.

Those dynamic turn indicators on the Matrix is enough for some to buy this A6. The fact of the matter is that most don't care about the missing Quattro or a more powerful engine.

Those lights are bigger tangibles. And this variant will also cost a bit less to run as well. So, benefits all around.

All the companies are moving are moving towards introducing petrol engines and this is part of Audi's plan. IMO, for a corporate buyer, the smaller engine and power output will never matter. In fact, it will be an attraction with the better FE. Since he/she would be chauffeur driven on most occasions, the bells and whistles would be priority than the 0-100 timings.

This is a good move by Audi indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4045529)
IMO, for a corporate buyer, the smaller engine and power output will never matter.

Sad, but true. The engine doesn't matter to anyone who's in it for the badge. Conversation between me (M) & a friend (F).

F: I want to buy a Mercedes E-Class. How's it?
M: Great backseat, which is what you want. You might want to wait for the next generation car which is coming.
F: It'll be more expensive.
M: Initially, yes.
F: How is the E200 petrol?
M: E200's performance is mediocre. Doesn't suit the car. You should buy the 6-cylinder.
F: It looks the same (and he doesn't care about power).
M: Go for the E250 then. Diesels suit the Europeans more.
F: But it's more expensive than the E200.
M: It'll be cheaper + more practical in the long run.
F: Ok.

A week later

F: Thanks for the advice. I bought an E200!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdst_1 (Post 4045367)

Well a true enthusiast would prefer 328i and a more practical enthusiast 320d clap:. 60% of the buyers in luxury segment are chauffer driven and number would be more high in mid variant luxury category (A6, 5 series). Trust me 275bhp Honda is no match to those matrix light and that too "Dynamic Direction wali" :deadhorse. Trust me I want my driver to drive safe and I am yet to see a racing A6 on our roads.
Cheers!

An Audi A6 with a 1.8 liter engine! Did I read that right? I remember an article from Cartoq on 200hp used cars below 10lakhs that talked about the 3.0 liter TFSI A6 (286 BHP & 420Nm) being a gem! They found a 2006 model for 8.5Lakhs! What happened now to Audi!?