Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2016, 11:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-toyotaalphard7.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-toyotaalphard21.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-toyotaalphard9.jpg

Quote:
Firstly the Alphard is a full size luxury MPV that seats up to 8 passengers, and even though the MPV market in India isn’t getting much attention, no one knows this product segment better than Toyota. The recently launched Innova Crysta has clearly shown that a space exists for a luxury premium MPV and the Alphard could just be the product to dial up the premium quotient by a few notches.

Second, the Alphard which is also available as a hybrid could strengthen Toyota’s global environmentally friendly approach to motoring. Toyota India also falls strongly within this program and the Alphard could easily complement the third generation Prius Hybrid sedan that is to be launched in India in just a few months.

Third the Alphard uses the same 2.5-litre petrol hybrid powertrain that’s used in the Camry hybrid that’s already on sale in the country. The only challenge we foresee is the positioning. The Alphard will be a fairly expensive MPV, existing somewhere in the Rs 50 lakh range. At that price however it will come with all the premium trappings necessary to justify the price tag. So apart from the hybrid powertrain it will have a full complement of luxury comfort and convenience features.
http://overdrive.in/news/toyota-indi...m-alphard-mpv/
Dr.Naren is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 11:17   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India

Toyota also had plans to launch the Previa and Hiace - but they never worked. The Alphard will be a good option if it is launched at 50lakhs. But being Toyota, I am sure they will not launch it under 70-80 lakhs.
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 11:27   #3
BHPian

The segment that would be interested is the 5 star hotels with their Duty Free Licenses, making the Van a sensible buy ( if the indicated price is inclusive of duties). In the private segment,when there are buyers for the Crysta, there surely will be buyers even if priced at 80 Lakhs.Indians have a lot of money to splurge.
riteshritesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 13:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Movie stars and cricketers might be interested in acquiring one too, instead of an Audi Q7.

There is a "sporty" version of the Alphard MPV that has a slightly more acceptable looking front grille. It's called the Toyota Vellfire! Cool name but is more suited for an hypercar than an MPV

Rumour: Toyota to launch luxury MPV Alphard in India-toyota_vellfire_za_ah30w_front.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 14:05   #5
BHPian

Have traveled extensively by Alphard in Thailand. Its one hell of a comfortable vehicle for 5+1 passengers. If Toyota launches @40-50 Lakhs it would be a hit in our market.
Chalu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 15:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't see the viability of such a product in India. The Innova is not just popular because it seats seven people, but also because of its rugged ladder-on-frame underpinnings. If you lose the ladder-on-frame chassis, then one might as well buy a couple of Camrys, Teanas or Accords at that price. Seat people in comfort, and have the benefits of better dynamic ability, infinitely better looks and boot space.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 15:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota can sell it; as the product has its own niche. Several high end users are compelled to look at alternates because of non-availability of products from Toyota in this category at their disposal.

Even if there is a possibility of overkill with Cresta, Fortuner and Alphard, the customer would still be with Toyota and will leave a good amount of margin for the company with every sale that happens.

More so, Alphard will have reasonable localization due to available powertrain, transmission etc. It can well start as CKD instead of CBU and after the product is accepted in the Indian market, even the production from India can start.

Let the rumour be true.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

A friend spotted a darkblue metallic current generation Vellfire with TN registration at Trivandrum a month ago. Its a beautiful looking MPV.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:46   #9
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
In the private segment,when there are buyers for the Crysta, there surely will be buyers even if priced at 80 Lakhs.Indians have a lot of money to splurge.
Companies should not price their products just by looking at people's pockets. It should be priced if it belongs to that price.

It would be an R-Class competitor at these price points.
A M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 17:35   #10
MHG
BHPian

Looks interesting! There definitely seems to be a deficiency in India of full sized 3-row MPVs (the weird contraptions from Force Motors don't qualify!).

There isn't a single car in India where I'd be happy to sit in the third row and on 90% of the 3-row cars out there I'd want to either move the front seat further ahead (if sitting in 2nd row) or the front seat behind (if sitting in 1st row) to accommodate my extra long legs.

While the Alphard is in the luxury segment, its reception could directly influence a slightly more mass market (read: between 1 and 2 million rupees ex-showroom) product (by any manufacturer who seizes the opportunity - my own bets are on Mahindra and Tata in that order) some 4-5 years into the future featuring 3 proper sized rows of seats, hopefully with a 2+3+3 seater configuration where the middle passenger in the 3rd row can sit like a king (but maybe I'm asking for too much here!). I'm thinking of the car that urban Gen X couples (probably the wealthiest professionals in India right now) with children will buy to accommodate 2 sets of parents and a pair of almost full-sized teenage kids for a family trip.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 18:25   #11
BHPian

I can see couple of movie stars using this as a caravan. Otherwise at 50 lakh, I don't see how this will appeal to families.
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:02   #12
BHPian

The Vellfire looks really imposing on the road. But somehow, I don't know if people would like to buy it for 50 Lakhs in India. Why? Because it is usually a high end rental car in most countries, or used by Hotels to ferry guests - at least that's what I've seen.
But the profile of the vehicle does not attempt to disguise the fact that it is a MPV, not a SUV. That might go against it if it is going to compete against the Mercedes and Audi models with a similar price tag.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

First picture shows it is friendly for people who are movement challenged.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
First picture shows it is friendly for people who are movement challenged.

Regards
Sutripta
Its an option and I've seen a previous generation Alphard in Chennai. Quite a bold move. If it launches, Nissan might bring in their Elgrand and Honda should launch the Odyssey.

Last edited by jayguar : 1st September 2016 at 21:39.
Old 1st September 2016, 21:42   #15
BHPian

I have travelled in one while in Hong Kong couple of months back. Its extremely comfortable for very long drives and has very plush interiors. So excited to see this model coming to india now. With more highquality roads getting built in india day by day, the market for these kind of posh MPVs will sky rocket.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks