Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2016, 23:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Looks fantastic! Is it slightly smaller than the Innova in terms of dimensions? In the pictures the Car does look a little smaller and somehow may be dwarfed by the Hexa and the new Innova, if the dimensions are indeed lesser.
This is what I found from Google search -

It is 100mm smaller in length than Crysta and 135mm lower in height as well.
However it is 30mm wider and has a 50mm longer wheelbase.
So despite being similarly sized it is designed to look more car like than a van. The high and rakish window design further accentuates the car-like look IMO.
And those are 20 inch Alloys that come standard across all models.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 4th September 2016 at 23:05.
rdst_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 23:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Renault patents Grand Scenic MPV for India

This looks so much prettier than the current range of Renault design. The 2014 Fluence is one good looker but barring that none of the other designs stands out comparing to the edgy designs from the competitor.

It can really dislodge the monopoly of Innova. Unlike Innova, it doesn't have the people carrier proportion to it. With some subtle mods it can look amazing.

Finally Renault is setting the sail in right direction.
maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 13:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice! Saw loads of the older model across the EU this summer. They are very robust, reliable and do their job be it summer, winter or whatever.

Good to see these coming to India!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 14:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Nice catch!
The Grand Scenic is quite a looker, inside out. And a very capable 7-seater to boot. Scheduled to hit French showrooms by mid-October.

Since they have quite confidently snatched away some of the Alto's near-monopolised market, I bet Renault is bullish on the Grand Scenic's chances against the Toyota Innova.
Lovely !

Another original Renault offering to beat the heat ! It has the trademark premium Renaultish looks like the new Koleos, Megane etc. Unlike its Dacia siblings (Duster, Lodgy).

Feels premium and upmarket, and looks way good compared to Innova anyday !
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 14:57   #20
BHPian

Handsome looking MPV from Renault, if launched it will be the best looking MPV in India. All the other MPV's looks utilitarian in comparison. It looks premium enough and if equipped and priced well, Renault can target the urban customers.
Old 5th September 2016, 15:22   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Renault patents Grand Scenic MPV for India

Superb looking! Finally a real 'Renault' and not a cheap 'Dacia'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
but is it a body on frame chassis to take take the rough treatment that Innovas usually take?
For 99% of customers, a monocoque is better. Lighter, faster, efficient & more car-like to drive. The only customers who would gain from a body-on-frame are the ones who overload (think Bolero with people hanging out of the doors & on rooftops) or offroad (inapplicable to MPVs).

Monocoques have proven themselves to be just as tough on Indian roads. There are several Ertigas that have happily crossed 2 lakh kms & are still running reliably.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 19:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am not so sure! Like how they are planning a Kaptur (with Duster underpinngs) instead of the International Captur for India and a few developing markets, this probably can be a pseudo Grand Scenic with Lodgy internals. If its the international Scenic, what is there to patent?

I do wish that they bring some true Renault models to India.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 19:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
this probably can be a pseudo Grand Scenic with Lodgy internals.
Not a bad thing, if true. The only main missing ingredient in these Dacia models is the cosmetics, including the plastics.

The overall mechanical package is very well suited to our road conditions.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 19:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I was looking at this closely in the Geneva show. It is pretty good. Much more interesting than a VW. Nice feature is the glove box that shoots out like a drawer.
It is quite possible that Renault might be inroducing this + the Megane saloon, since they have common parts hence economies of scale for localisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Nice! Saw loads of the older model across the EU this summer. They are very robust, reliable and do their job be it summer, winter or whatever.
!
The older ones are a bunch of trouble. Terrible electrics. The recently superceded one was much better though

Last edited by ajmat : 6th September 2016 at 08:17.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 20:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

The only thing I hope with Duster mechanicals is; they also add to a solid build quality. Though Duster is well put, but build quality leaves a *lot* to be desired. I hope they fix that aspect on both the India bound Scenic and also the Kaptur.
ampere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 20:15   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am not so sure! Like how they are planning a Kaptur (with Duster underpinngs) instead of the International Captur for India and a few developing markets, this probably can be a pseudo Grand Scenic with Lodgy internals. If its the international Scenic, what is there to patent?
Even I am not sure if Renault will launch the Grand Scenic anytime soon. There are rumors of the 7 seater Duster/Dacia slated in 2017/18 which is more likely to come to India considering the challenging costs!
Old 6th September 2016, 21:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Promotional videos of the Grand Scenic,

volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 02:18   #28
BHPian

One hopes that Renault leans more on its own product line for India than Dacia. Sure the Duster is/was a good idea, but I'd love to see products like the TwinGo and Clio taking the fight to the Marutis and Hyundais of our market.

What interests me most about the Grand Scenic are:
a) Very low power outputs selected, suggesting it will be significantly lighter than the Innova - just like the Ertiga makes do with 90hp by being 1200-1300 kg.
b) The R9M diesel could be a really fun engine. Its various outputs range from 130hp/320Nm to 180hp/400Nm. This could be a trump card for Renault, especially with enthusiasts. Will comfortably take the fight to the puny Corolla 1.4 D4D and the brawnier VW/Skoda 2.0. This engine is even borrowed by Mercedes for its C Class in C200d (130 hp) trim.
c) Based on point b) - a sexy looking Megane with 180 hp diesel would be my executive sedan of choice, based on Renault's reputation for ride quality.

Go for it Renault - we need some imagination in our market
Old 8th September 2016, 08:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Stunning looking. I'm sure it will be an Innova beater if they price it right and if they plonk an engine other than that puny 1500 cc which does duty in almost all Renault cars. Lodgy could not dethrone Innova but I'm sure this one could. Renault may note Maruiti's success here. Baleno(sedan) could not. SX4 could not. But finally, Ciaz did dethrone mighty City. Perseverance on part of Maruti paid off. Who thought we would see this?

There is a lesson in this for Renault and M&M,too, who gave up after their Xylo could not.
Old 8th September 2016, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow, looks really good. There is some sleekness to it without making it look bulky.

I wonder if Honda should use the Jazz to come up with a proper MPV. But not sure if they will be do it whole heartedly.

Most Viewed