Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 17:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Government may allow digital versions of vehicle documents

Good move. In Telangana we already have an app called RTA m-Wallet where you can get your RC and drivers licence which is accepted by authorities. If its done across the country its even better.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:43   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about Digilocker, I recollect a thread about it few years back. Here's one you can look at where we have had all the discussions.

My biggest worry - The acceptance for these soft copies of all the originals. The kind of cops we encounter throughout the length and breadth of our country, we have seen enough instances where they are so hellbent on rejecting something that they are not used to seeing.

I sincerely hope that this time its different.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
If its done across the country its even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My biggest worry - The acceptance for these soft copies of all the originals.
Karnataka is not too far behind. A look at this post will give us an idea about the Government's endeavours in this regard.

Also, for the scheme to be succesful, the general public needs to be made aware of the exact meaning of digital documents. Though the idiosyncracy of this non acceptance is debatable, a scanned, photographed or screenshot copy of a DL/RC for instance, cannot be considered a valid alternative for original documents as per law.

Recently, I had purchased an unreserved ticket using the UTS app of Indian Railways and saved the ticket as a screenshot. While exiting the railway station, a ticket checker asked me for the ticket and when I showed him the screenshot, he insisted that I log in to the app and produce the ticket live .

Awareness about digilocker among the lower and mid level officials - the ones who are actually on the street - is the key to success of this mission.

Last edited by dailydriver : 19th July 2018 at 18:37.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:45   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

They took a long time to get chip based DL and even HSRP, very long time actually .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Recently, I had purchased an unreserved ticket using the UTS app of Indian Railways and saved the ticket as a screenshot. While exiting the railway station, a ticket checker asked me for the ticket and when I showed him the screenshot, he insisted that I log in to the app and produce the ticket live
OT but I too had experienced the glitch with UTS. I was at Yeshwantpur station to receive someone and the station was super crowded that Saturday afternoon and the queue for platform ticket was simply looking awful.

I Googled then and found out about this App. Installed and created by account too. The UI felt nice that it automatically picked my location (station) based on my GPS and gave option to purchase unreserved ticket or a platform ticket and when I chose latter and proceeded to payment screen it simply didn't move beyond that. I remember it had an option to pay from the app wallet too but the app felt miserably slow! Somehow I managed to just walk out without getting caught by the TTE.

In general, as you mention, we need education among the scrutinisers than the public who will use these.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th July 2018 at 19:46.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 20:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
It is also mentioned that fitness certificates for freight vehicles should be renewed every two years. The current rule makes it mandatory to renew the certificate annually.
That is my only worry! Everything else looks good if enforced and accepted universally across the country.

But, what is the logic behind changing fitness certificate renewal from annual to once every two years? Are all our freight vehicles now so very well maintained that they need to get an FC only after another 12 months? If yes, well... Wow.
Miel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:04   #66
BHPian

While others have rightly pointed out the challenges with the advent of this new convenience, what concerns me is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
It is also mentioned that fitness certificates for freight vehicles should be renewed every two years. The current rule makes it mandatory to renew the certificate annually.
Coupled with the revision of per axle load capacity, this might make our highways yet more lethal. These vehicles are already in a state of heinous disrepair - now that's going to be twice as bad, presumably.
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:24   #67
BHPian

re: National DigiLocker to carry your DL, RC and other official Govt. documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering all my vehicles are in company name, I don't think I'll be able to download the RC to my DigiLocker. I probably shouldn't bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Another similar app regarding vehicle is 'mParivahan'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arivahan&hl=en

You can download your vehicle RC & DL details electronically. Till recently this app had difficulties in retrieving the DL info into the app. When I tried the same few days back I could download it and store it in my mobile. The difference that I see between these two is 'QR Code' which is found in mParivahan app.

The App says we van create the virtual RC & DL, but the acceptance of the same is a big question in majority of the States. However we can hope that we are moving towards it.

In mParivahan App, you can download the RC / DL details even when there is name mismatch between these two. My name was not typed-in fully, so even now digitally I can see only my partial name in my RC info, although I corrected the details in physical Certificate. For DL it asks for DOB, if you want to store it in App.
Using both of these apps since a month. DigiLocker is good but seems to have limited use. I could download only the RC where car is in my name but the company cars RC's cannot be downloaded as it is Aadhar based. However I could download all RCs in mParivahan. However in mParivahan, the DL doesn't seem to be working right now, couldn't download it. Worked in DigiLocker though.
Old 1st August 2018, 17:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone from Bangalore able to link their Driving License to their Digilocker account. I was able to link my Vehicle RC to it but was not able to do the same for Driving License.
The format of Licence number is KA-04/X/0000/0000. I tried multiple times and it says that the number is not correct in Digilocker. Can anyone help me the with the format to be used for entering the License number Digilocker to link it.
Old 1st August 2018, 19:21   #69
BHPian

Digilocker is Aadhar based App. If your DL is linked with Aadhar the same will be automatically downloaded in your App.

Try refreshing the tab "issued document"

It may also happen that, the concerned RTO did not upload your DL detail in digital platform. In fact the renewed detail of my DL appeared in Digilocker after one year of renewal date.
Old 1st August 2018, 20:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Has anyone from Bangalore able to link their Driving License to their Digilocker account. I was able to link my Vehicle RC to it but was not able to do the same for Driving License.
Have you tried issuing the DL from Ministry of Road Transport and Highways? I was able to successfully pull the document into DigiLocker when I used that option. DigiLocker failed to download the data when I selected Karnataka Department of Transport.

Ensure that the name on license matches Aadhaar as DigiLocker is based on Aadhaar and verification of data is done before fetching. Not sure why DigiLocker is unable to issue documents from Karnataka Department of Transport.

Last edited by strawhat : 1st August 2018 at 20:34.
Old 1st August 2018, 23:39   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
The format of Licence number is KA-04/X/0000/0000. I tried multiple times and it says that the number is not correct in Digilocker. Can anyone help me the with the format to be used for entering the License number Digilocker to link it.
I was able to link both my Driving License and Registration Certificate today. The format of my DL number is KA05YYYY00XXXXX.
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:28   #72
BHPian

Did anyone with TN registered car manage to get the RC copy in the app ?
Old 4th August 2018, 09:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

I have created a digiLocker account and was successful in linking my Aadhar and DL. The vehicle I drive is registered in my name of my wife. SO I downloaded the RC in her digiLocker and then downloaded the document in PDF. This now I have uploaded in to my wallet.

Going forward I am always going to carry original but would show digiLocker to cop if demanded. Let's see if these are accepted or not. I suspect that they may be initially hesitant but over a period things will become more widely acceptable.

I recall a long time back when card licenses were issued many upcountry cops did not accept them and insisted on DL Book. But now it's universally accepted.

I have also lodged a public grievance for insurance companies to also come on to digiLocker. From my app I see New India Assurance is already there. This way even the RC and PUC could be (and should be??) digitised.

Transitions are always going to be coming along with hiccups.
Old 4th August 2018, 09:58   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I was able to import my DL, and RCs for both cars to the Digilocker. I used these digitally signed PDFs to apply for a FASTTag online.

That said, I am not sure if a cop will accept these digital copies. Better to carry the DL and RC just in case especially on long distance trips.

As for Std X and Std XII passing certificates and mark sheets, well, the Digilocker can fetch records going back to 1990. My records go back further than that.
Old 4th August 2018, 10:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Did anyone with TN registered car manage to get the RC copy in the app ?
I managed to download my new Vehicle RC (TN 07) yesterday. Registration was done on 31.07.18. Also managed to download my Delhi issued Driving licence from 2006 in the app. Pretty useful i think

Most Viewed