Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 16:25   #16
Deo
BHPian

Re: August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Datsun is selling more cars than VW for 3 consecutive months. Ha !! That is really commendable for Datsun, in fact their tally is almost equal to number of cars sold by Chevrolet, Fiat, Nissan and Skoda combined.
Deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the analysis.
See how fortunes change over a year. Honda and GM are mass market players in an otherwise growing market.

Skoda and GM can be proud that they are competing in the luxury segment ( in terms of numbers) while Fiat can since they out beat BMW by a margin!

Mercedes and Audi lead the Luxury segment.

August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1-1.jpg

Source - Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Tata - should read the market. Pull the plug on Indigo, Manza, Indica, Vista, Sumo, Aria. Have separate showrooms and service centers for passenger cars and CV. Passenger car showroom should only have Nano, Tiago, Upcoming Kite 5 sedan, Safari Storme, Nexon etc. CV showroom should have Bolt, Zest and any other cv.
Tata already has separate showrooms for commercial vehicles where they sell commercial vehicles right from tiny Ace Zip to mighty Prima.

As for relegating Zest to CV, I guess it is the only Tata model along with Safari which is not sold with yellow plates. Yet, Zest is pulling consistent 1500-2000 sales per month. While nothing to cheer, this is a stable demand and decent figures compared to Amaze, Aspire and the likes.
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the Alto Trend, I think Maruti doesnt have a response to the Kwid. I expect some price correction in the Celerio & Wagon-R soon.

Kwid I think can touch 15000 easily if supply is enhanced. I am seriously considering exchanging my Swift for the 1.0 Kwid however awaiting decision on my mobility.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Tata - should read the market. Pull the plug on Indigo, Manza, Indica, Vista, Sumo, Aria. Have separate showrooms and service centers for passenger cars and CV. Passenger car showroom should only have Nano, Tiago, Upcoming Kite 5 sedan, Safari Storme, Nexon etc. CV showroom should have Bolt, Zest and any other cv.
Right now, apart from Tiago / Zest, the Indica & Indigo still bring in some decent numbers. Unless they have a list of strong products in their portfolio, they cannot simply pull the plug on these two, as they still remain favourites in the taxi segment. I read somewhere that they already have plans to separate out the older products from newer ones. Someone with more details can clarify this point.

This month sees the Kwid crossing the 10K mark with its 1.0L launch. The numbers can only go up, with the launch of an AMT variant. Seeing what Renault has been doing with pricing, we can expect that as well to be a terrific VFM. It would bring in more sales to Renault, if they could introduce more variants of the 1.0L manual as well as the AMT version.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
On the ECOSPORT sales number
When I recently took delivery of my Ecosport, the GM sales was mentioning that the brezza is helping them to do more sales than before. ...the majority of the sales is from those customers who waited and were not impressed by brezza.
+1. I know of people(into real estate and other rural businesses) who did not know what Ecosport was until they headed to book a brezza, and were put off by the long waiting periods.

Ecosport and i20's are clear cases of competition(long waiting period) induced sales.

Once the Maruti plant at gujarat is functional(early 2017), the waiting period would subside and the sales figures would be more linear.

But, it is commendable that Hyundai's sales remain unaffected over the years, despite the cheaper offerings from Maruti.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Mohenjodaro of the Industry:
The film came in with lot of hype. It had Bollywood biggies Hrithik Roshan, Ashutosh Gowarikar and AR Rahman. But it sank without a trace.
The industry where in such a state exists is with General Motors.
They came. They had promise. They had the moolah and the R&D. They had great in house brands. Yet, they failed big time.
Now, such sorry is their state that none of their cars manage 1K nos.
Second case in FIAT.
They too lie within the ruins of the Indus valley civilisation. Away from everyones mind. And deep within anyones wishlist of a new car.[b]

The Rustoms. Sleeper Hit

Without doubt, the Kwid. Welcome to unknown territory Renault. I bet this 10K is unchartered for them. Never before, barring the Duster, have they encountered 10K sales(annually) from their complete line up of duds- Scala, Pulse,Lodgy et all.
Second is the Ciaz.. It made a slow start. We were all apprehensive if City will bite the dust. In the initial run,it was always a second. Yet, it flowered in the later months. And now, City seems a distance second and the Verna, oh, I cant even see it!!

The Evergreens aka Dev Anand

Wagon R. No great shakes. No specific attributes. Uninspiring to drive. Yet, it has no competition. It runs free in its territory. The king of the B segment.
Dzire:. Ugly, Unproportional. Chris Bangle mess up. And it sells and how. Practically, all sub 4 mtrs sedan added up will be lesser than its sale. Practical. Hell yes. Fun to Drive. Hell yes. Hit. Hell No. Its a block buster.

The Conjuring i.e some shockers
Mustang selling 20 odd shipments. Good going for a 80 lac halo car.
Fiat Abarth @ 3 units. Might as well shut shop. Would make better sense in saving the overheads
City : Relegated to beyond top 20. Honda needs to revamp and quickly
Brezza- Fall is quite steep. Probably the ES price cut impact finally shows.
Endeavour- Good show against the might of the Fortuner.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th September 2016 at 22:38. Reason: spacing for better readability
arnabchak is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Tata already has separate showrooms for commercial vehicles where they sell commercial vehicles right from tiny Ace Zip to mighty Prima.

As for relegating Zest to CV, I guess it is the only Tata model along with Safari which is not sold with yellow plates. Yet, Zest is pulling consistent 1500-2000 sales per month. While nothing to cheer, this is a stable demand and decent figures compared to Amaze, Aspire and the likes.
I think I have seen yellow plate Zest, but I might be wrong. Bolt - definitely a lot of yellow plate ones doing duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Right now, apart from Tiago / Zest, the Indica & Indigo still bring in some decent numbers. Unless they have a list of strong products in their portfolio, they cannot simply pull the plug on these two, as they still remain favourites in the taxi segment. I read somewhere that they already have plans to separate out the older products from newer ones. Someone with more details can clarify this point.

This month sees the Kwid crossing the 10K mark with its 1.0L launch. The numbers can only go up, with the launch of an AMT variant. Seeing what Renault has been doing with pricing, we can expect that as well to be a terrific VFM. It would bring in more sales to Renault, if they could introduce more variants of the 1.0L manual as well as the AMT version.
With the Introduction of the Kite 5 Sedan, Zest has to be sidelined or repositioned, and the indigo stoppped. Else the new sedan cannot get a free run with the baggage of its predecessors. Completely IMO.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have seen yellow plate Zest, but I might be wrong. Bolt - definitely a lot of yellow plate ones doing duty.
Bolts are freely seen as taxis but I am yet to spot a Zest doing taxi duty.

Quote:
With the Introduction of the Kite 5 Sedan, Zest has to be sidelined or repositioned, and the indigo stoppped.
Zest is a competent product and it would be a shame if Tata were to pull the plug on this one.

Having seen the Kite5 closely, I can confirm that it is definitely much smaller than Zest on the outside as well as inside, same goes true for Tiago / Bolt.

I am sure there is enough room for both to coexist.

Zest would cater those who require a car to comfortably seat 5 passengers with some luggage, Kite5 would be for those who have the budget of a hatchback but aspire to own a sedan (even though the sedan may only be as spacious as the hatchback).
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to talk about the cars that were supposed to be game changers for their manufacturers

1. Kwid- Renault has achieved an incredible feat of posing a real threat to Maruti in the A segment

2. Figo twins- Poor man's Abarth/GT! What a capable car(diesel specially) each of them is! Ford gave us a great package but then they are not seeing even 50% sales the cars deserve.

3. Tiago- IMO, the best package in it's segment. Very happy to see >4k sales. Tata must build customer delight levels with their infamous A.S.S to see Tiago go stronger month after month.

4. BRV- Honda is having a hard time, when the only hit City isn't doing it's usual numbers. What would hurt them more, is the dismal sales figures of BRV.

5. Redigo- Steady at 3k units but Kwid 1.0's launch can make things worse for Datsun. Redigo is a very good package and it should see 5k units sales a month.

6. Crysta- 8k!! That is the amount of trust and customer satisfaction Toyota has built with the Innova badge. Price it 30 lakhs and it will sell 6k units even then.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
With the Introduction of the Kite 5 Sedan, Zest has to be sidelined or repositioned, and the indigo stoppped. Else the new sedan cannot get a free run with the baggage of its predecessors. Completely IMO.
Agreed. We need to see what Tata is going to do, with the introduction of Kite 5. Having three sub 4m Compact sedans (including Indigo CS) in their portfolio does more damage than good. The company resources get scattered in marketing and selling these products, leaving the buyers confused about what to buy, and finally the buyers pick up something else from other manufacturers who really promote it well - e.g Maruti, Hyundai.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:44   #27
BANNED

All top four cars - Alto, DZire, WagonR and Swift - sales have come down compared to last year. They are facing challenge from Kwid, Baleno and Brezza. But the new launches Baleno and Brezza helped Maruti to post growth.

Similarly, Kwid Helps Renault.
Redigo helps Nissan.
Tiago helps Tata.
Crysta helps Toyota.

It clearly says one thing - only new launches of handsome competitive products help growth.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2016 at 21:29. Reason: Typo
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 19:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the most awaited monthly thread!
Surprisingly good figures from Ameo. Poor showing from the Ford hatch & sedan inspite of the attractive price cuts.
That the market is blazing hot for SUVs, Pseudo SUVs, hatch on stilts SUVS and so on, is amply loud and clear. I do wish companies like Ford would bring in products like the Kuga here. The time is ripe IMO.
Also good MPVs to take on the mighty Innova.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 19:43   #29
BHPian

Off-late I had been noticing a lot of hybrid Camry's in NCR, and was hoping to see that reflect in the sales figures, but surprisingly it does not! Anyone else notice this?

Renault always seem to have one trick up their sleeve, earlier it was Duster, and now the Kwid!

Honda BRV already lost it's charm?
DuHasstMich is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 20:36   #30
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the monthly Sales numbers and analysis for Augusst month.

Some observations from my side -

1. It has happened finally - Kwid has broken the 10K mark. Now, with the introduction of 1.0 L engine and the upcoming AMT, there is a realistic chance of Kwid de-throning Alto from the top position. Eon is the one which had bore most of this brunt with the sales settling around 3.5K mark from the high of 7-8K earlier.

2. Good numbers once again for Tiago, hope it continues to grow further and looks like this has impacted KUV 100 which have its lowest numbers since the launch.

3. Grand i10 is also closing in on the Swift, with its highest sales this calendar year.

4. Elite i20 continues to dominate the B2 Premium Hatchback segment, with Baleno closing the gap but still unable to beat i20's numbers.

5. Looks like VW has taken a hit with Polo & Vento doing low numbers, with Ameo taking the center stage. But I don't think, Ameo can hold on to this without the introduction of Diesel engine. Aspire - the segment benchmark is languishing at the bottom of the segment - what a shame !!!

6. Its confirmed - Ciaz is the new king of the C2 Sedan segment with its second best ever monthly numbers, which was bettered only during its launch month. Verna dropped below 1K and Vento dropped further to 786 units.

7. Surprise numbers for Ecosport - breached the 5K levels after a gap of more than 2 years - the last time it has done was in Jul '14, with Brezza too close to 10K mark. But clearly Creta stole the show - with the best ever monthly sales figure since launch.

8. And Innova beats that with its all time best monthly figure - and there was a news that 50% of the sales is coming from Auto variants. XUV 500 has settled around 2.2K mark, after the launch of Innova.

9. Endeavour is maintaining its lead over Fortuner and the new Elantra manages to sell 272 units, but still unable to beat the leader - Corolla. 296 units for Superb - what happened there.

10. Mustang is able to outsell Abarth Punto.

11. And this is the best month of 2016 for Fiat, along with VW, Renault and Toyota.

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2016 at 09:43. Reason: Fixed typo
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks