Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 20:29   #46
BHPian

Re: August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Is this the first time that Octavia + Superb sales has overtaken Camry + Corolla ? 521 vs 471 is a reasonable margin in the D1+D2 sedan market. Skoda is onto something here. I don't see them doing much to revive the Rapid sales. Maybe the strategy has changed? If Kodiaq does well against the Fortuner and Endeavor, which I think it will, for its features, looks and exclusivity, then Skoda might really be onto something. Customers in that segment are not really bothered by scary A.S.S as much as the C2 segment. We will know by end of next year when Kodiaq is launched here.
phreakv6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 20:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting figures in the C segment Sedan in FY-16-17 . Overall Honda's City takes the lead since launch, Maruti's Ciaz closes in!

August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-cityvsciaz1.jpg

August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-cityvsciaz.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th September 2016 at 20:50.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 00:24   #48
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2016 at 21:37.
balajisv is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th September 2016, 00:34   #49
BHPian

Ford is selling decent numbers in EcoSport (5k+) and Endeavour (~ 700). But with Fortuner's launch just round the corner, they need to pull up their socks....what next I wonder? An EcoSport refresh? I don't know of any other new model in the works. Any thoughts on Ford?

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2016 at 21:38. Reason: Typo
Old 8th September 2016, 08:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Ford is selling decent numbers in EcoSport (5k+) and Endeavour (~ 700). But with Fortuner's launch just round the corner, they need to pull up their socks....what next I wonder? An EcoSport refresh? I don't know of any other new model in the works. Any thoughts on Ford?
Ecosport is a tremendous value for money. However, two things the refresh needs badly is, power-fold ORVMs and projector lamp assembly. A little mark-up on price for this would not be resented, I'm sure.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2016 at 21:38. Reason: Quoted post edited
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 09:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

The growing compact/UV segment continues to be led by Vitara Brezza while the C sedan segment has only Ciaz and City as top contenders while the rest of the pack is left far behind.
Maruti Suzuki, Honda and Hyundai has the facelifts lined up for 2017. Interesting to see how the trend hods up when released.

Link
August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-maruti.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th September 2016 at 09:18.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 10:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayeed View Post
If only Honda can improve the quality of their cars or bring it back to earlier levels their cars will sell by itself. But they seem to have taken the Indian market for granted and for this they charge premium too. The interiors are not long lasting in any of their new products. The recently introduced dashboard is being used across cars as if it was some switch hence you get the same feel whether it is the BRV, Amaze, Mobilio or the update Brio which will be launched soon.
Forget interiors, to me from a distance, BRV, Mobilio and Jazz look the same!
ambujlal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Forget interiors, to me from a distance, BRV, Mobilio and Jazz look the same!

BRV & Mobilio certainly agree , Jazz does differ slightly atleast in terms of utility features of seats and overall design. MSI also uses common parts in Swift, Dzire, Ritz, Ertiga, Ciaz and so on but they are not so similar
Sayeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:43   #54
BHPian

I would not be surprised if Vitara Breeza crosses the 10K sales mark in coming months. I have heard in some cities waiting period goes as long as 9 months for a Zdi+ model.
Old 8th September 2016, 14:18   #55
BHPian

No HONDA in TOP 20 4k sales of CITY and still not in 20 says a lot about the growing size of our market.

Only HONDA is responsible for where it is today. They were late to diesel party but came back with a bang. But that noisy diesel played spoilsport in addition to that increasing price disparity in ex-showroom prices of petrol and diesel cars along with decreasing fuel price gap. Other thing was the missing quality quotient or lack of abuse friendly top notch quality, there recent cars are brittle objects with "HANDLE WITH CARE" types. For the premium HONDA demands from its cars, good quality must be implicit as this is what has helped them to differentiate from mass players.

The thing that hurt HONDA most is their strategy to cater ASEAN specific models to India rather than bring US/Europe/Japan models. I think India is somewhat different than Thailand/Indonesia or any other Asian market, we are more inclined towards US/Europe products and that can be clearly seen in our choice of cars or other products.

Look at Hyundai, i10, i20, Elantra, Tuscon, Santa Fe are all same cars as one in US/Europe( atleast lookwise ). This gives a feeling of being par with those markets and certainly can be seen from sales graph. Creta, I don't know the markets where it is targeted specifically but design wise is more Western than quirky Asian.

Just my 2 cents.
varunswnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
No HONDA in TOP 20 4k sales of CITY and still not in 20 says a lot about the growing size of our market.

Only HONDA is responsible for where it is today. They were late to diesel party but came back with a bang. For the premium HONDA demands from its cars, good quality must be implicit as this is what has helped them to differentiate from mass players.
Completely agree with the view above, Honda did go the route of adding more features while compromising quality. Inconsistent panel gaps being the easiest to spot from the outside. That said, there are couple of other factors in my opinion that have lead to decline in City sales over Ciaz and of course the overall reduced sales numbers for sedans.

Overall, the numbers for sedans have been clearly declining due to cross-category buying. Clearly Indians love tall stanced vehicles (also called as compact SUVs by some with all due respect) making Creta, Brezza et al an instant hit. Also competition in this sedan segment hasn't grown after launch of Ciaz, essentially Ciaz and City are the only two best sellers at the moment. Assuming overall demand hasn't changed much, this has lead to a decline in the overall sedan numbers.

Ciaz has seen an increase in sales over City due to couple of factors:
  • Government has finally found a solid replacement for the trusted SX4 and even old age Ambys in the fleet. I am lately seeing lot of white Ciaz with Government stickers or number plates plying around at least in NCR. I don't think the government will buy a Honda as they generally stick with Maruti Suzuki products.
  • This might be region specific but Ciaz Hybrid has seen massive reduction in price (at least in Delhi) making the VDI trim almost 1.25 lakhs cheaper than Honda City's base model which is far less equipped. Given the noisy nature of the City's diesel engine as well, I think it's a no brainer for folks buying in this segment to pick up the Ciaz
  • Overall, City does command a premium in price over the Ciaz which has also been discussed at length in other threads. Thus for price sensitive customers not really looking for the i-vtec, Ciaz makes an excellent choice
To summarize, the bleeding into compact SUV market will continue with more launches. Honda clearly needs to understand this dynamics and at least launch a worthy competitor to the Brezza, Creta et al segment. Some might argue about the BRV, it does have it's USP with a 7 seating arrangement but doesn't provide the SUV looks which Indians desire.
sid_deb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Fiat actually had a pretty good month considering its performance over the last year or so.

I seriously want to see the Kwid topple the Alto. The 1.0 Kwid is a perfect step in that direction. But I sincerely hope that the after sales keep up with the sales or we will see a lot of people put off and Renault will hand it over a plate to Maruti. Something many have done again and again over the years.

Ciaz vs City is quite an interesting battle. I am for a change rooting for Honda as I really like the City and find the Ciaz a pretty boring car to look at that's powered by the same puny engine again and again and again. This by the way is purely my opinion. But the City needs a price cut as it is just too expensive now. Maybe we will see what we saw with the previous generation City, where Honda reduced prices when they launched a mid life refresh.

Glad as usual to see Ford fight back with its more than competitive cars.

Great to see that the i10 grand is neck to neck with the mighty Swift. With a mid life refresh it will not be surprising to see it surpass the Swift, whose replacement is still far away. That will be an epic day I feel. With the new Elantra, soon to be launched Verna and the auto i20, Hyundai may just have a wonderful year ahead.

The Vento-Polo twins will continue struggling as the all new Polo is still some time away, so I expect new editions of these cars with redesigned grills and lights to continue at VW.

Mahindra is definitely staring at the wrong end of the barrel with the continued Bolero slide and KUV-TUV duo struggling.

Toyota shows that the Crysta is no fluke with a good month or two. Similar numbers may continue over some more months or even a year. C'mon Tata Hexa and Renault Scenic, India needs you pretty badly now.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I am for a change rooting for Honda as I really like the City and find the Ciaz a pretty boring car to look at

C'mon Tata Hexa and Renault Scenic, India needs you pretty badly now.
Actually, if you look at the projector headlamp equipped unit of the Ciaz, and then look at the City, you might feel the other way around. City is not bad definitely, but certainly nothing special or exciting to look at.

I only hope Indians won't treat the Hexa and the Scenic badly, like they have treated the competent cars like the Ford Figo/Aspire or the Aria or the Fiat Punto...
Old 8th September 2016, 18:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Interesting figures in the C segment Sedan in FY-16-17 . Overall Honda's City takes the lead since launch, Maruti's Ciaz closes in!

Attachment 1551660

Link
Interesting point.
In the same space, Verna used to rule the roost before City was plonked with an i-Dtec.
I added up the number of Verna from January 2014 till date and it totals to a dismal (by comparison) 66,027 units.

The possible explanations can be:
1) Hyundai has let this segment take a hit at the expense of Creta (cannibalization)
2) Customers are now bored of Verna and get that breath of fresh air from Ciaz and City.
3) It is no more a VFM buy, making it a white elephant to maintain.

That said, Hyundai is clearly making more money in this game even after losing out a huge market share by selling overpriced Creta with volumes not imaginable for a C2 segment sedan.
turbospooler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 06:07   #60
BHPian

Leaving the rest of the impressive analysis aside, how on earth is Maruti managing to sell 7,000+ units of the Omni? That contraption was obsolete at least a decade ago and Maruti is still selling it?

And just who is buying this thing in such huge numbers?
Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks