Team-BHP - August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   August 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/179783-august-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!

Close to 300 units of the new Superb? Not bad!

And respectable figures for Ford SUV/Crossovers – 700 units of Endeavour and I guess it’s after a while the Ecosport managed to cross 5000 mark.

Chevrolet :

Big failure in Indian market. No cars crossed 1K figure.

Fiat :

Abarth Punto is 3 units behind Mustang. Fiat management should be blamed for their current situation. Thanks to Fiat, I have gem of an engine in my S-cross and Fiat did not get it for their own car in India. Audi and Mercedes sold more cars than Fiat

Ford :

Ecosport is still doing good numbers, thanks to price cut. Endeavour figures are decent enough and Mustang at 20 units is not at all bad. It's sad to see that even price cut did not help Figo twins. Yes there is around 75 percent increase compared to previous month, but look at the numbers (2500 combined).

Honda :

Overall figures are just above average. City is no more a segment leader. Gone are those good days!!

Hyundai :

Look at Grand I10 numbers, it's doing very good even after 3 years since launch. Actually numbers have increased every year. I20 and Creta are also doing well.

Mahindra :

Just above average!!

KUV numbers are on decline and other models are doing almost same as before.

Maruti :

Good to see that Maruti has resumed production of S-Cross. This car is not doing as per initial expectation (5K/month).

Ritz numbers have increased, thanks to taxi market. Ciaz is the new segment leader and way ahead of City.

Brezza and Baleno are doing really good. Baleno figures would have been more if Maruti did not cater to the demands of export market (Baleno is manufactured only in India).

Renault - Nissan Alliance :

3rd spot on domestic sales chart, thanks to Kwid and Redi Go. No other cars are helping to get numbers.

Skoda :

1211 units in total!! Skoda used to sell more Rapid's than this number once upon a time. 25 percent sales from Superb is something to be appreciated.

Tata :

Thanks to Tiago, Tata is on 5th spot now. Bolt was dead on arrival due to pricing very close to Zest.

Toyota :

Innova Crysta is the car for Toyota in India. 8000 plus units for a car above 20 lakhs is really an achievement. Etios is doing steady 2500 units and upcoming facelift might help.

Volkswagen :

Ameo is doing decent numbers and Polo has taken a hit. It's high time to launch new generation Vento. Minor updates every 6 months won't be of any help.

Out of Top 10 cars sold last month

Maruti : 6/10
Hyundai : 3/10
Renault : 1/10

Out of Top 20 cars sold last month

Maruti : 11/20
Hyundai : 4/20
Renault : 1/20
Toyota : 1/20
Ford : 1/20
Mahindra : 1/20
Tata : 1/20

Few observations

1. The price cuts/discounts haven't helped the fortunes of Renault Lodgy & Honda Mobilio
2. But they seem to have given a good push to the Figo twins
3. The VW Ameo seems to have taken away half the Polo customers looking at the last 2 months sales numbers.

# The polo has averaged 2285 units in the last 12 months. With the addition of the Ameo to the portfolio VW has managed to increase that average to 3378 (polo+ameo) units per month, while the incremental volume is good, it doesn't justify the cost VW claims to have invested in developing the Ameo.

# The Renault-Nissan-Datsun partnership has together cocked 19890 units and is placed 3rd clap:. Nissan in the under performer here with 1151 units contributing just 5.78% to overall business. With the Kicks this collaboration will pose more challenges.

# Creta has done its highest nos. since launch @ 8450 units, Grand i10 also scores its highest - 12957 units, losing the top spot by just 70 units to the Swift. Good start for the Elantra - 272 units

# Endeavour does well @ 702 units, hope Ford does things right to get more share, for that portfolio is about 1500 units going by Fortuner's previous year volumes. Ecosport crosses 5K units - the price revision has paid off. Ford's top line is taken care of due to the incremental volumes. If this charm spreads to the Figo twins, Ford can take on Mahindra and Honda

# Datsun has proved that reputation of a company does not matter as long as the product is good and relevant to the market - point to be noted by Fiat, Chevy and its own parent co - Nissan. This doesn't apply to Skoda though lol:

# Kwid has breached the 10K barrier, the AMT would only widen its appeal. Kudos to Renault for locking horns directly with the mighty Maruti in its home turf - compact hatchbacks.

# Companies that also ran the show in India - Chevy, Skoda, Nissan and Fiat. Hopefully Datsun will exceed the volumes of these companies put together in Sep'16. Datsun @ 4767 is just 47 units behind Chevy+Skoda+Nissan+Fiat (1801+1211+1151+651 = 4814 units).

Innova Crysta, Creta, Elite i20, i10 Grand, Superb, Kwid & Endeavour are turning into Legends while Ameo, Baleno, Brezza are cannibalising.

On the other hand Tiago, Ciaz are slowly but surely progressing to claim their rightful place as chart toppers.

Some comments

Observations from my end:

Hyundai - Grand month for Grand i10, not bad either for i20 and Creta.

Maruti - Alto, Dzire, WagonR, Swift, Brezza - all kings of the hill in their segment. Awesome feat considering that the next small car and compact sedan both sells 10k less per month.

Renault - On the spot with Kwid. Eon is the most hurt product I guess. The icing on th cake is the Nissan-Ranault JV grabbing the 3rd spot in the market.

Ford - Decent numbers for the Ecosport and Endeavour. Figo twins come out of the ICU to normal ward. And those 20 mustangs !

Toyota - Riding on Innova. Need to get the small and CS segments refreshed soon.

Honda - Decent sales for City and Jazz. Others not up to the mark.

Mahindra - Nothing amazing. A bland month.

Tata - should read the market. Pull the plug on Indigo, Manza, Indica, Vista, Sumo, Aria. Have separate showrooms and service centers for passenger cars and CV. Passenger car showroom should only have Nano, Tiago, Upcoming Kite 5 sedan, Safari Storme, Nexon etc. CV showroom should have Bolt, Zest and any other cv.

VW - Need nextgen products for Polo, Vento, Jetta ASAP. Ameo is not a big hit.

Others - sidelined and made irrelevant.

Ford ecosport sales figures crossed 5k , interesting for a 3year old model. Heavy price cuts could not increase the sales numbers of the figo aspire.

Renault kwid doing 5digit numbers, the kwid has been well accepted by Indian market and i am expecting the numbers to increase.

Maruti Suzuki and hyundai doing as usual.Let's see how elantra performs in the coming months.

Innovas are just flying out of the showrooms , this shows how much trust people have in Toyota.

Nothing much to say about VAG, fiat.

On the ECOSPORT sales number

When I recently took delivery of my Ecosport, the GM sales was mentioning that the brezza is helping them to do more sales than before. Though he says Ford did the right thing at the right time by way of price cut, the majority of the sales is from those customers who waited and were not impressed by brezza.

Though many may not accept his opinion, he has good amount of experience in sales for saying so

On the ENDEAVOUR sales number

700+ units unheard of from Ford in that segment, The introduction Ford made Endeavour rather than adapting of Mazda Everest could be the reason for seeing so many value for money stuff in the new Endeavour and It does look massive in person than the outgoing one. Toyota doesnt accept defeat so easily. wait and watch