Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 18:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz GLS 400 petrol launched at Rs. 82.90 lakh

Quote:
Hope you got a good discount since this model is not moving much?
Most of the MB dealers here in North behave very differently if someone asks for discounts. I was very close to picking up their Connoisseur’s Edition but they refused to pass any rebates and wanted complete payment up front to get on pre-cess rates & delivery from an In-Transit car ( I am more than sure it must be sitting in their warehouse only). And the sales guys are so arrogant that they proposed me to wait for some more time and check for Discounts when they launch facelifted version.

Quote:
Nope paid 50k over the 350d as they didn't have it in stock
Congrats, but GLS in Petrol and you are looking at a massive resale hit besides very high running costs, nevertheless, if you like then enjoy, after all, you live only once

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th September 2017 at 18:46.
Old 14th September 2017, 20:24   #17
BHPian

I have to look up the package combinations to check the pricing, but, given that a fully equipped GLS450 costs about US$100k in the US, the Rs. 82L seems rather reasonable given that this is a CBU. The GL or GLS is a very nice vehicle although I cannot speak for it in India. Much better than a Q7 in my opinion and I think the Q7 40 TFSI costs close to Rs. 80L, right?
Old 14th September 2017, 20:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most of the MB dealers here in North behave very differently if someone asks for discounts. I was very close to picking up their Connoisseur’s Edition but they refused to pass any rebates and wanted complete payment up front to get on pre-cess rates & delivery from an In-Transit car ( I am more than sure it must be sitting in their warehouse only). And the sales guys are so arrogant that they proposed me to wait for some more time and check for Discounts when they launch facelifted version.

Congrats, but GLS in Petrol and you are looking at a massive resale hit besides very high running costs, nevertheless, if you like then enjoy, after all, you live only once
MB here in Bangalore is no good either. The whole pre sales experience was the worst I ever experienced when I was shopping for a new SUV. ( More on this upcoming in my new SUV ownership thread )

Resale value not a criteria when buying expensive cars.

Last edited by mjumrani : 14th September 2017 at 20:47. Reason: Added more information.
Old 17th November 2017, 17:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
Just took delivery of the GLS400 and I must say, you just cant compare the driving pleasure to the 350d. This feels and drives like a completely different car with much more refinement. You cant hear the engine sound at all inside the cabin.
How is the GLS 400 running? I'm considering getting it or the X5 35i. But the odds are in favour of the GLS 400 since the X5 35i is out of production, and chances of finding the spec of my choice in old dealer stock are slim.
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 13:46   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For a vehicle of the size of the GLS Diesel is the way to go. GLS 400 with poor FE will not find too many takers. Further the GLS 350D should have been refined enough (Inside the car) and comparable to the GLS 400 but reading about the GLS 400 being much more quitter and refined is quite surprising, unless it was based on the sound and start up while standing outside the car.

Heavy vehicles require high torque to get going and diesel would be the way to achieve that.
Old 18th November 2017, 20:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
For a vehicle of the size of the GLS Diesel is the way to go. GLS 400 with poor FE will not find too many takers. Further the GLS 350D should have been refined enough (Inside the car) and comparable to the GLS 400 but reading about the GLS 400 being much more quitter and refined is quite surprising, unless it was based on the sound and start up while standing outside the car.

Heavy vehicles require high torque to get going and diesel would be the way to achieve that.
That may be true, but most of SUV sold in US are petrol engine and give an FE of 4km/l or less. There are very few diesel options in US.
Old 18th November 2017, 20:44   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That may be true, but most of SUV sold in US are petrol engine and give an FE of 4km/l or less. There are very few diesel options in US.
Yep the requirements out there are quite different. My BIL in the US is currently quite unhappy with the E400 (Sluggish response overall relative to his other vehicles) while we make do quite happily with the E200 in India. Hence with petrols the need for V8s is even higher in such markets while a V6 Diesel will provide similar or better torque.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks