Team-BHP - Verna placed in the league of Optra & Elantra by 'Auto India'!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Verna placed in the league of Optra & Elantra by 'Auto India'!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17987-verna-placed-league-optra-elantra-auto-india.html)

Guys,

Just got the 'Auto India' October issue. Its only Verna all over it! And the guy is putting Verna on the league of Optra and Elantra! No mention of any competition from Aveo or Fiesta at all!! And guess what! To test drive the India made Verna, he went all the way to South Africa!! rl: rl: Unbelievable these chaps are! I wonder how much Hundai paid them for the job!!

I think he is not far off the mark though.

LOL Verna in league of OPTRA. Tell Hyundai forget it, see you and rap up. Have hyundai ppl ever sat in OPTRA back seat??? Comfy as heaven. The next car that is as comfy as OPTRA is only Accord and Mondeo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh
LOL Verna in league of OPTRA. Tell Hyundai forget it, see you and rap up. Have hyundai ppl ever sat in OPTRA back seat??? Comfy as heaven. The next car that is as comfy as OPTRA is only Accord and Mondeo.

agree:
Today I had some spare time and to see for myself all this excitement is all about, I went to check out the Verna at Trident Hyundai, Bangalore. I could only get to see the diesel verna(no test drive, only showroom piece).
I can confidently state after this that in terms of interior space and trim levels, it is not in the league of Optras/Civic/Corolla. It is a brilliant car no doubt and I am a Hyundai fan myself, but to be fair, it would be tough for 5 to go on a highway journey. My hair touched the roof on the rear seat, while sitting upright and it looked a size smaller than the cars Autocar is comparing against. Agreed that Optra comes in 1.6 and 1.8 trims, but the space is completely different.
In terms of dimensions though Verna is only 27cm shorter than Corolla with all other dimensions same(1705mm width, 1490mm height etc.). However, due to the design (sloping roof at the back) and some other factors I do not know, it looks more cramped than the C+ segment(only relatively here again - so no offence to anybody). The boot though is huge - doesn't appear that that structure hides such a huge boot!!.

I cant believe! The Optra, Elantra comparo is a bit of shocking news. The man should've sat in an 800 just before he got to sit in that Verna. Normally, the cars seems to be smaller when driven abroad.
Did you read Topgear oct issue? Their man also went till Southafrica to do the same. It'd be acceptable if it was a September issue. But now, it's really late to say that.
Wake up, journos!

Quote:

Just got the 'Auto India' October issue. Its only Verna all over it! And the guy is putting Verna on the league of Optra and Elantra! No mention of any competition from Aveo or Fiesta at all!! And guess what! To test drive the India made Verna, he went all the way to South Africa!! Unbelievable these chaps are! I wonder how much Hundai paid them for the job!!
Dude, they just did a comparitive brief review of Verna vs Fiesta.
And this was done on the Chennai Race track. Read again.

nitrous the comparitive drive on chennai race track is by autocar india. i believe talking pebbles is talkin about "AUTO INDIA".

i havent read auto india but auto car has good review other than turbolag and roll on figures which are nothing great.

guys...dont get confused between AUTO INDIA and Autocar India.

And abt the South Africa drive, what usually happens is the company (hynudai in this case) arrange for all the journos from a particular region or country to travel to some other place with good roads, beautiful scenery and so on to test the car.

Earlier when the Getz was launched, Hyundai took the journos on a tour through Kerala.

This is so that the journos get a feel of the car in various conditions (city, highway, etc...)

i can't believe it!! the elantra is miles ahead of the verna is any & every compare....these guys do get overboard at times...also lets not forget that these engines are detuned for indian conditions....so in conclusion...the journos were high on weed at the this write up!!

I think we are reading too much. If you have a Verna CRDI at 8.5 and an Elantra Petrol at round about the same, is there a choice? And where there is a choice, comparisons are bound to take place.

Of course, if you feel that comparing those cars to the Verna reduces the brilliance of their halo, then it is a different matter altogether and I wont enter that argument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
Dude, they just did a comparitive brief review of Verna vs Fiesta.
And this was done on the Chennai Race track. Read again.

Nops my friend. You are totally mistaken. There is NO name of Fiesta in anywhere in Auto India October issue. I am not talking about Autocar here. I think you are talking about Autocar.

-B

I read the "AutoIndia" isssue yesterday. There was nothing like comparing a Verna with an Elantra or Optra. They've written that its a car between Accent and Elantra.

Please read and confirm again.

Speed Test
Timing in Seconds

0-60 0-100 20-80 40-100

Verna 1.6 VTVT 5.11 12.00 14.35 18.86

Fiesta 1.6 4.78 11.43 11.73 17.21

City VTEC 4.53 10.66 12.71 17.29

Source - http://in.news.yahoo.com/060923/211/67v6v.html

We have received complaints about the veracity of the topic. This thread will be closed until we can confirm that Auto India did make that statement. - Mod Team