Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 19:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Rear parking sensors to be made compulsory on all Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Has anyone recently heard of any rear parking accessories companies setting up shops or increasing their capacity?! That should be the answer to all our surprise.
The government doesn't do anything about the safety of drivers / riders, don't enforce good driving etiquette and keep bringing such low priority items on the top of the list.
Does it sound so ridiculous? Rear parking sensors are relatively cheap to add to a car, and it could be useful in our new generation cars with small rear wind shields and smaller IRVMs. Many new drivers feel it could be better if their cars are equipped with rear parking sensors along with a camera. It is a different story that previous generation still does not want either of the ORVMs to drive even in highways.
You can be doubtful of the intentions of government, if they try to make the following items compulsory in the cars:
a) Music players
b) Rain sensing wipers.
c) Auto Head lamps
d) Remote lock / Keyless entry
e) Start button
f) Alloy wheels

IMHO - it is a good step forward in making the rear parking sensors compulsory. In addition to this, they should also make the rear defogger and rear wipers compulsory. These are pretty basic, and still are not offered in many cars.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 20:33   #17
BHPian

How many lives is the govt planning so save with these? I don't think this should be given so much priority. I would rather want that extra money spent on reinforcing the car for impacts or safety research.

With this what comes to my mind is goverment notification on set top boxes. I don't know how that made anything useful to the end user. Only the costs for end user went up.
AKTRACK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 20:50   #18
BHPian

I am surprised by all the ridicule.
is this not a good move?

Any kind of safety measures made mandatory is welcome.

Inexpensive measures easier to implement. This would cost the manufacturer what, 1000 bucks?

Very relevant to India. We are a crowded country. The car density is less than 100 cars per thousand population. So at any given movement more people around a car than in it. Why should the government care more about the idiot inside the car (who doesn't care about himself or his family enough to buy the optional airbag equipped model. Note: I am not talking ABS here. Making that mandatory may be expensive but still necessary) than the throngs of people who can't afford one. The fact remains that less people will benefit from safety inside cars and structurally superior cars than those that do not have cars

India is just getting motorised. A lot of newbies old and young. A lot of women are now gaining independence and social encouragement to drive. Many in my family itself. They tend to make errors of judgement during reversing. Seen some of these fender benders and resultant quarrels on the road. reversing aids would certainly do a lot of good.

Have we got into the habit of scoffing at anything the government brings about even if it is the occasional intelligent decision?

But I totally agree that ABS should be made mandatory. Air bags should be an option even on base models. Crash worthiness should become mandatory. The reverse sensor mandate should be for all four wheelers. It is just that making reverse assist mandatory is not a silly decision as i see it.

Last edited by igp_79 : 9th September 2016 at 21:04.
igp_79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

If it's by choice we are ready but if by compulsion we feel offended.
For some safety measures it is often vehemently argued that if any measure is announced and even one life is saved it's worth it.
Nowadays even the entry level Kwid comes with display screen I don't think it would cost much to add the camera to that.
Come to think of it for the sake of argument that the L board city drivers, female drivers and experienced drivers who still struggle while reversing, even if it saves few cars from getting scratched or damaged, the time and amount saved by the country by way of repairs, I vehemently say it's worth it.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 21:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Tangential thinking by bureaucrats. How many such accidents have taken place? No doubt it is a safety measure but could have waited and airbags given priority.

Prior to this order, the Ministry of Transport and Highways should have made two airbags compulsory, at least, for the front seat passengers to start, with on all variants of new four wheelers.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 21:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
How many lives is the govt planning so save with these? I don't think this should be given so much priority. I would rather want that extra money spent on reinforcing the car for impacts or safety research.

With this what comes to my mind is goverment notification on set top boxes. I don't know how that made anything useful to the end user. Only the costs for end user went up.
Well, any life saved, especially that of a child is invaluable. But I too believe more deaths occur due to improper seating (child on lap,child in front seats, anyone not buckled up) inside the car than being hit by a car while backing up.

The set top box rule did not have ANY end user benefits in mind. It was purely to track and tax the cable operators who showed 10 customers but gave connection to 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
I am surprised by all the ridicule.
is this not a good move?
I think it's not ridicule, but rather a slight astonishment that the govt skipped so many safety features which are standard in first world countries (airbags, abs, driver education) and jumped straight to rear parking sensors, which , BTW, USA has mandated to be compulsory from 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
If it's by choice we are ready but if by compulsion we feel offended.
For some safety measures it is often vehemently argued that if any measure is announced and even one life is saved it's worth it.
Nowadays even the entry level Kwid comes with display screen I don't think it would cost much to add the camera to that.
Come to think of it for the sake of argument that the L board city drivers, female drivers and experienced drivers who still struggle while reversing, even if it saves few cars from getting scratched or damaged, the time and amount saved by the country by way of repairs, I vehemently say it's worth it.
Definitely worth it, but maybe a bit lower on the priority list than safer cars by means of an educated driver, ABS, airbags and buckled down passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Tangential thinking by bureaucrats. How many such accidents have taken place? No doubt it is a safety measure but could have waited and airbags given priority.

Prior to this order, the Ministry of Transport and Highways should have made two airbags compulsory, at least, for the front seat passengers to start, with on all variants of new four wheelers.
Airbags and ABS. We have seen from recent examples ('O' variants) that they add maybe 20K to the final cost of the car if mass produced
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 23:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I think government has messed up priorities when it comes to automobiles.

What should have been enforced/made compulsory -

1. Fully operational headlamps/tail lamps
2. Seatbelts for all passengers to be worn all the time
3. ABS
4. Under-run bars on all trucks/rigs
5. Airbags

But wait, parking sensors is what the government thinks to be vital. Mega facepalm!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 23:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
worn all the time
3. ABS
5. Airbags
But wait, parking sensors is what the government thinks to be vital. Mega facepalm!
Fully operational head / tail lamps and seatbelts being worn are beyond the control of the manufacturers. On the other hand the three I left in above ARE within their control, as are installing parking sensors.

Guess which is the cheapest of the lot and will lead to the least number of loud and agonized howls from automobile company CEOs to their pet ministers, media sources etc?

And as a stopgap I am sure dealers will find it an attractive proposition to sell reverse parking sensors as "government has ordered that this is mandatory saar so we must be fitting it"
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

What should have been enforced/made compulsory -

1. Fully operational headlamps/tail lamps
2. Seatbelts for all passengers to be worn all the time
3. ABS
5. Airbags

Atleast something good is being done. Whats the point of criticising. I agree LORVM, AIRBAG AND ABS should be made mandatory but atleast this is a start.

If you have to add something whether positive or negative why dont you write to the transport ministry with suggestions.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 00:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
If you have to add something whether positive or negative why dont you write to the transport ministry with suggestions.
This is a forum and we are just giving our opinion.

That is a very sensible idea. I will write it right away. I am very sure transport ministry is very eagerly looking forward to public's opinion and suggestions. And may be a lot of people wanted parking sensors and suggested that to the ministry.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th September 2016 at 00:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 03:50   #26
BHPian

Story is evolving and we have a timeline.

Additional measures.

Quote:
From October next year, all new models of cars will have the mandatory feature of "manual override", a device that enables a person to open the door with or without electrical power. Similarly, all new models will have "vehicle reverse gear sensor system", which helps the driver detect any object behind the car.

These will have to be installed in all the existing models of cars from October 2018 as well and is expected to make them costlier. Two more features will be mandatory in all cars - a seat belt alert and a warning that goes off when the speedometer needle crosses 80 kmph, government sources said.
Frontal Crash Tests

Quote:
In fact, the mandatory norms for frontal crash test will come in to effect from October 2017 for new models and October 2018 for existing models.
The Sad Part
Quote:
At 80 kmph brief beep alarm will come. Once you touch 90 kmph there will be continuous beep,
Why not build katcha rastas instead of building highways/expressways and force everyone to use bullock carts.

And The Important Part

Quote:
The ministry will issue a single notification mentioning these provisions for suggestions from public.
Please lookout for the notification.

Source: Time Of India

Last edited by bordeaux : 10th September 2016 at 03:52.
bordeaux is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 11:08   #27
BHPian

I dont understand the negative response to this proposal by the govt. All the proposals such as ABS, airbags etc involve high speed scenarios and the target victims are both children and adults. Reverse sensor is slow speed impact scenario which usually involves kids as the potential victims. All my vehicles from 2011 have been retrofitted with reverse sensors and camera too.
P.S - It is usually our kids on our driveway " helping" daddy reverse in their kiddish excitement.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 11:15   #28
BHPian

I read this in the newspaper the other day. Rear parking sensors and seatbelt/speed chime instead of abs/airbags? Are you kidding me? The only good that has come out of the recent laws is the govt. removing the idiotic plastic car breakers in Delhi/NCR. Also, wouldn't the constant chime upwards of 90 Kms/h be irritating on the highway? Or i am missing something here?
Old 10th September 2016, 11:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Also, wouldn't the constant chime upwards of 90 Kms/h be irritating on the highway? Or i am missing something here?
Most of the highways/expressways too have a speed limit of 80 in India. So keeping the chime at 90+ actually makes sense from the lawmakers perspective.

I drove down from Pune to Mumbai last week with a sensor malfunctioning resulting in the turbo being disengaged in a Skoda Laura. My top speed was limited to less than 90 as a result.

While painful, I was surprised that it resulted in the time difference being less than 20 minutes when driving with the car performing at full potential.

Most of the accidents are due to errors at high speed. Not sure we can blame the government for thinking along these lines.
arakhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 11:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I frequently travel by the NH-2 and Ranchi-Hazaribagh Expressway where speeds are 90+. I believe many expressways in India have a speed limit of over 90 KMPH. So, will the continuous chime keep irritating and diverting my attention, supressing other outside sounds like horns of other vehicles, etc?
Also, a lot of discussion on this thread has been on ABS and airbags; no doubt they are important safety features that should have been mandatory by now, but that is like taking the easy way out. The system should improve from ground level- which includes driver's training and licensing process. Why the Govt officials are overlooking it? Because it is tough to address it? RTO is hand in glove with agents who can provide driving licence to even those who have never been in a car, leave alone driving it and I am not joking, you guys know.
Passenger buses stop on highways at their whims and fancies to pick up and drop passengers, without proper turn signals, without hazard lights, without brake lamps and in any lane. Which safety feature can address it? The other dangerous things that I see on highways are passenger cars which are driven by owners themselves in over enthusiastic manner and then auto-rickshaws, tractors, etc coming from wrong side, etc. Solution- Only proper driver training and strict enforcement of existing traffic rules and law. Why this is being overlooked?

I am all in for anything that goes to make out road travel safe, but the biggest thing is not chimes, sensors or even airbags. It is time that we address the issues raised above so that more than surviving after an accident, we focus on avoiding such instances altogether.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed