Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 22:59   #136
BHPian

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Etios Cross facelift also launched now. Only subtle differences,yet significant. Now Bluetooth comes in GD also, there is a digital tacho and the mirrors are electrically foldable .Here is the old and new brochures compared
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-image.jpeg  

Last edited by shasha : 20th October 2016 at 23:28.
shasha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 07:09   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

I would give a serious look at the Cross diesel if it came with an auto box with the same reliability and built to last levels of the rest of the car. A much more value for money premium hatch than any other in the market at this time - but the auto is now almost a must in Indian cities for a car with a 10-15 year hassle free life.
Odd looks I agree, but if the external plastics do not degrade in looks over time, one could get used to it.
Old 24th October 2016, 14:38   #138
Lij
BHPian

Had been to Millennium Toyota in Wagle Estate Thane over the weekend for a test drive of the new Platinum Etios. Surprisingly they still don't have a test drive vehicle after more than a month of launch and told me to check back in the 1st week of November. In fact they didn't even take my contact number and expected me to visit their showroom again to check if the test drive vehicle will be available on the aforementioned date.

The sales representative was of the opinion that the test drive of old version wouldn't make sense since although the engine is the same there is a major improvement in the clutch, so I also agreed not to take the test drive of the older version.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:02   #139
Senior - BHPian

Why is the 1.2L engine showing two different mileage figures in the above picture? Toyota seems to match Suzuki on the Diesel mileage front but on the Petrol, Suzuki can still eek out a few more kilometers it seems.

Now add the 4 speed Auto to the 1.5L please.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:53   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Why is the 1.2L engine showing two different mileage figures in the above picture? Toyota seems to match Suzuki on the Diesel mileage front but on the Petrol, Suzuki can still eek out a few more kilometers it seems.

Now add the 4 speed Auto to the 1.5L please.
One figure is for the 1.2 petrol, another for the 1.5 petrol.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
One figure is for the 1.2 petrol, another for the 1.5 petrol.
SchumiFan is asking why 2 mileage figures are shown for 1.2 ltr petrol - 17.71 & 18.16?
1.5 ltr petrol has the same 16.78 mileage figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Why is the 1.2L engine showing two different mileage figures in the above picture?
Old 25th October 2016, 03:45   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
SchumiFan is asking why 2 mileage figures are shown for 1.2 ltr petrol - 17.71 & 18.16?
1.5 ltr petrol has the same 16.78 mileage figure.
I don't think you guys have read the original post carefully. The left half is the brochure for the old model whereas the right side has the brochure for the new facelifted model. So the fuel efficiency has actually gone up marginally, not too bad an achievement, given that the car has some added features that increase weight such as tubular rear seat frames.

Last edited by chncar : 25th October 2016 at 03:47.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 21:18   #143
Senior - BHPian

I recently joined Tech Mahindra and there seems to be some offerings on new cars. I was expecting some huge discount on Mahindra hatchbacks, but found that there is one corporate offer going for new Toyota Liva, G petrol grade. [Offer is of rupees 9999 EMI]. Fascinated, I opened up the site and was pleasantly surprised to see a whole plethora of Toyota Livas in the offering [starting from G/GD all the way to VXD]. Now that a hatchback is a definite must for my family's growing requirements, what do you guys suggest with respect to the New Liva. I understand that the looks are quite aged but that does not bother me much. How about the engine refinement, long term running cost and factors like sound system if I compare that with Tiago. Which one fares better? I prefer the top version Tiago (XZ) and therefore for a fair comparison, I think it should only be competed with the top model Liva. Experts please throw some light.

Also is there any special benefit one gets in taking vehicle loan from Toyota Finance [HDFC / SBI]?
Old 26th October 2016, 07:21   #144
BHPian

@Majumdarda - Do this small exercise. Pick any 2 hot selling cars and review their ownership threads. Now pick 2 ownership threads for Etios and compare.

The hot selling car ownership threads are very interesting. You will read about tales of how dealer did a bad job, strange noises coming from dashboard, vibrations while braking (etc etc) or the rear being compared to J-LO and wonderful sound of the door closing.

By contrast the etios threads are predictably boring. Hardly any issues to discuss, just a routine visit to the dealer to get it serviced and that the service cost less than yearly service of an activa. Where there are issues, it got fixed under warranty and fixes were back-ported to earlier versions. The other class of boring comments are the endless discussions on the dated looks and centre console by those who do not own the car.

I think there are a few etios owned by Tech Mighties and during the customary post lunch stroll you could note down the registrations and ask security to pass on their mobile numbers. Talk to them.

I am sorry I cannot compare it to Tiago. As such in that price bracket, consider yourself lucky to get the safety of an NCAP 4 star rated vehicle. That should be the starting criterion and the music system the last. Just my two cents.
kotirajendra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 10:46   #145
BHPian

@kotirajendra, I have to disagree here. Agreed Toyota's are built to last, but niggle free? I don't think so. We own an Innova nearing 2 lakh kms without any major issues but with a fair share of niggles. Also comparing a car like Etios, selling around 2k per month with hot selling cars selling around 10k makes no sense. Also keep in mind that a majority of Etios are taxis. So the resultant private buyers who own an Etios and are part of this forum are considerably small. So yes, it's not a fair comparison. But one fact all will agree is that the service quality of Toyota is among the best in the country and that makes a big difference.
Old 26th October 2016, 12:37   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I understand that the looks are quite aged but that does not bother me much. How about the engine refinement, long term running cost and factors like sound system if I compare that with Tiago. Which one fares better?
I own a 2012 Liva GD which is at 74,000 km in less than 4 years. Few points if you are OK with the looks:
-- After 74000 km it runs the same way as it was delivered. 80% of the time it is driven by the driver who has to be reminded so many times to be kind with the car.
-- NVH (read diesel) can be better in my car, but it does not sound like a tractor now compared to the time when it was launched. The present generation has better NVH. I don't think it will be a big deciding factor unless you are not very particular about it. Note that there is hardly any vibration related issues.
-- Very low maintenance. The 70000 km and 80000 km service cost combined together would be around Rs. 9100 with the SMILE package with free pickup and drop from home. And this is for diesel.
-- Interior space management can put some of the bigger cars to shame.
-- Speakers are average, you need to upgrade.

I bought this car purely for daily chores and never really loved the car earlier. After 70000 km now, I am slowly falling in love with this machine, absolutely no "tamasha" and the dated interior looks are as boring as when it was new. Wish Toyota would have given a feel-good factor to this well-engineered car by sprucing up the interior and by adding features like ACC and so on.

Please test drive and take your pick.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 13:11   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
@kotirajendra, I have to disagree here. Agreed Toyota's are built to last, but niggle free? I don't think so. We own an Innova nearing 2 lakh kms without any major issues but with a fair share of niggles. Also comparing a car like Etios, selling around 2k per month with hot selling cars selling around 10k makes no sense.
I recently had a look at the thread for 1st Gen Ford Figo 2010 thread. Look at the last few pages and see the kind of problems people face on a five year old car. When I bought my Toyota Liva diesel in 2011, I had to decide between Figo and Liva. Reading the Figo thread I really do feel glad that I chose Liva.

What I like most about it is the ease of driving. I feel in complete control of the car at all times with its excellent brakes and decent dynamics. And Liva with D4D diesel engine is a real all rounder - excellent in city and hills and competent on highways. The 1.2 petrol may not be as good as that and 1.5 petrol on Etios and also available on Etios Cross is definitely much, much better. But they would be costlier. One has to drive and see whether the 1.2 petrol suffices for one's requirements.

And, a hot-selling car is not necessarily a better car for you. It depends on what you are looking for. By that logic, Fiats are the worst cars. That would be a blasphemy, at least on this forum.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 13:22   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I own a 2012 Liva GD which is at 74,000 km in less than 4 years. Few points if you are OK with the looks...Please test drive and take your pick.
Even I have 2012 diesel liva GD and completely vouch for whatever has been written above. Mine also driven for around 72000kms. Currently, i am scouting for a new car (only reason why i want to buy a new car is my liva does not have airbags and i do lot of highway drives). And my requirements are clear that i do not want a sedan because of space constraints. After thinking about various other options available and also doing test drive of couple of cars, i have more or less decided to go with new liva.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2016 at 13:42. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users. Thanks.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 13:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I recently joined Tech Mahindra...vehicle loan from Toyota Finance [HDFC / SBI]?
The Liva is a no nonsense practical hatchback. It will do what it is supposed to do perfectly till you get bored and upgrade. The interiors may not feel plush but they will hold up as long as the car is running. You will never hear rattles or squeaks from it. The suspension is well balanced offers decent handling and ride quality. The D-4D has proven reliability and offers amazing drivability. The 4-star NCAP rating is an icing on the cake. Finally the after sales service of Toyota will leave you with no complaints. DSK Toyota in Pune is the best you can find when it comes to the service experience. The service cost is probably lesser than a few B1 segment hatchbacks. If you think practically the Liva diesel is the best bang for your buck. Tiago doesn't even come close. Good luck!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users. Thanks.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 13:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your no frills advise and I am now seriously considering the Liva. I think best for me would be to go for a Petrol version, though people say that Diesel versions are peppier.

By the way, as all of you are from Pune, please can you help me with your dealer details. Though I am located at Dapodi and since none of the dealerships are within walking distance, I do not mind travelling to any dealer in Pune who gives me a good and honest deal.

Contacts surely help.

By the way, I am waiting for a call back from the Sharayu Toyota.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks