Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 10:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Why on earth can they not change that stupid looking dashboard?
Because it costs money! And they cannot spend as the Etios project never achieved the economies of scale to post profits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Who should they kill to get a new simple dashboard?
The Accountants
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:21   #227
Senior - BHPian

I will be charitable and say that the flat bottom is for clearing the legs, not for performance car aspirations! Even the 1.5 petrol did not have this, so it is another quirky Japanese thing; I suspect that the audio controls are integrated into flat bottom wheels.
Old 8th February 2017, 12:47   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Because it costs money! And they cannot spend as the Etios project never achieved the economies of scale to post profits

The Accountants
hahahaha So true in the cruel world of automobiles. But honestly, the Liva has got everything going good for it except the dashboard. Reminds me of the old Ambassador's dashboard with a gauge for anything and everything. Even they changed it!! I just cant move on with the fact that this is coming from Toyota of all people. On the Liva it looks like an instrument cluster crashed into its dashboard. And then you have those air vents for the AC. Dont even get me started on it. #Toyota if you are reading this, get to work and change that horrible looking dashboard for good.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:19   #229
Senior - BHPian

I happened to see the Platinum Etios in flesh about 3 weeks back. This is my first run in with Etios since I saw the launch model in 2011. The interiors are pretty decent now, they were totaly revolting when I saw them in 2011.

Given the practicality and safety features it offers at the price point (List price of VX Petrol is 9.36L OTR) . I find it hard to justify, why I shouldn't pick one up.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 09:19   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Lol. Even with that dashboard - that I don't think is a big issue - they are selling about 4000 units a month. Which is not too bad?
Because it has become a favorite with the taxi industry.
Old 9th February 2017, 15:15   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Given the practicality and safety features it offers at the price point (List price of VX Petrol is 9.36L OTR) . I find it hard to justify, why I shouldn't pick one up.
Absolutely, the only problems one associates with Liva/Etios are subjective in nature like looks, dashboard etc. Whoever is ok with these can pick one up eyes closed

If only they plonk a decent torque converter AT and sell at a competitive price point, this could well become the default option as a second car for many, or one we would want our parents to drive.
avisidhu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 14:07   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Etios X 2018 launched for Brazil,

Old 14th May 2017, 22:42   #233
Senior - BHPian

Is the Etios power steering a electronic or hydraulic one? Also I do not seem to see a temp guage , is there one?
Old 14th May 2017, 23:20   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is the Etios power steering a electronic or hydraulic one? Also I do not seem to see a temp guage , is there one?
It's an EPS, and there is no temperature gauge.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:26   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Please post review of platinum as soon as possible with nice pics. We have never seen platinum in ownership threads. Really really love the car for what it is. Just one word. It's a no nonsense car
Please have a look at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4192808

This my short ownership report of the Platinum Etios V Petrol.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Link fixed
Old 18th May 2017, 11:01   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I will be charitable and say that the flat bottom is for clearing the legs, not for performance car aspirations!
And I would say you are spot on.

I miss a flat bottom steering wheel on our Fiesta. The steering is set at the lowest level so that I have it almost on my lap when I sit in the car. And even though the seat is also at lowest setting, my thighs brush the bottom of the steering wheel when I get out as the front seat has a longer base for extra under thigh support. And the seat base is not flat, its at a slight incline making the space between the seat and steering wheel even more narrow.

And most sports cars also have this trait making the flat bottom steering wheel a necessity. It is just that people have this image that it is just for sporting pretensions without any real use other than aesthetics.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:05   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And most sports cars also have this trait making the flat bottom steering wheel a necessity. It is just that people have this image that it is just for sporting pretensions without any real use other than aesthetics.
Won't it create a safety concern then ? Like, someone with a higher thigh position would adjust the steering to the lowest possible position for comfort and end up slowing down the steering due to the friction with the thighs when a hard and fast turn is required ?
Old 18th May 2017, 11:29   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Won't it create a safety concern then ? Like, someone with a higher thigh position would adjust the steering to the lowest possible position for comfort and end up slowing down the steering due to the friction with the thighs when a hard and fast turn is required ?
I don't think so, there is ample clearance while driving for me. I don't have an issue operating the B or C pedals.

The problem is only during egress. Since the car is sitting low, you need move a bit laterally and get out. And you will get that knack to slip out smoothly after a while. If you try to get out like you do from a WagonR or Swift, your thighs will brush the wheel.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 11:41   #239
BHPian

Etios brand is a big reason toyota name took a big hit in Indian market. Before that Cars like Corolla etc. used to be quite aspirational in the market.

I remember going to some car show with Etios on display and while checking backseat the seat was so flimsy and low quality it just flew off and fell down like some Autorickshaw seat. After that it was not even a consideration while buying a hatch for us.

It would do well for Toyota to just introduce a new brand in that segment or change the name with this upgrade. Products like Yaris or even Avanza could do well to revive Toyota in the lower segments.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:46   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Etios brand is a big reason toyota name took a big hit in Indian market. Before that Cars like Corolla etc. used to be quite aspirational in the market.
Yeah, Toyota gave what it thought was needed for a first time sedan buyer in India - best in class space, best in class durability, best in class maintenance cost, best in class comfort/ergonomics and best in class safety combined with 2 wonderful engines which are designed for the kind of use cases that Indian roads demand. They forgot that what we Indians value more are the looks, aesthetics and status more than safety/space/comfort/durability/drivability. It was a mistake from their part.

Hopefully, they will get it covered with the Vios ( I hope, not at the cost of practicality and ergonomics of the Etios ) and then price it 4 lakhs higher. And we'll be rushing to their showrooms.

Last edited by amalji : 18th May 2017 at 11:58.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed