Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 05:21   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
@amalji, you mentioned getting your Etios serviced during trips. Were you serious? If I were to visit Kochi, is it really feasible to get a service done in a couple of hours? Preferably north of Kochi.
Yes, i do that and you can as well. But, make sure you take prior appointment and make sure that you are there on time. Choose the Kalamassery Nippon Toyota ( North side of Ernakulam ) and explicitly mention that you need the Toyota Express Service while taking the appointment.

PS: Even my last service ( 1.2 lakh kms ) was done @ Wayanad en route to Ooty. This is inspite of the Wayanad facility not having the Toyota express bay. Still, they managed to complete it within 3 hours. With the express bay, they normally complete it within 90 minutes.

Last edited by amalji : 3rd September 2017 at 05:32.
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:55   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
[*]It seems to give enough mid and low end punch ( unlike the Honda and Maruti ). And that's where you need the power in typical Indian driving conditions. [*]Highway cruising would be very smooth thanks to that tall gearing. [*]The biggest advantage of the CVT used in the Toyota is that it's very unlike a CVT! It gives those 7 virtual gear ratios which can be adjusted manually and at the same time, the 7 speed gear ratios somewhat compensates for the loss in efficiency due to unavailability of infinite gear ratios. I heard that the engine rpm at 100 kmph on the 7th gear is just 1900 rpms! And that grinding noise of the CVT due to the infinite ratios should also be eliminated thanks to this kind of a setup.[*]And on top of that, the simplicity of the technology ensures that you have less things to replace in the long run.[*]It gives very good fuel economy too for a 1.5l Petrol, thanks mainly to that dual-VVTi.[/list]
Honda City has been having this set up for some time and people are well versed with it and Honda charges a bomb for this: (we all know it) because there's no other car having this set up. It's a cinch to drive in the city and highway and very relaxed.

I had test driven the Etios Platinum petrol earlier and loved it: one thing going against the car is "Perception"! Except me no one else in the family really want me to buy it, though they loved it. I think Etios is a car too sensible doomed by the image of a cab. You may add a thousand gizmo's to the Etios but unless you re-brand it (rename it) and keep it at a comforatble price level away from the cabbies, it's not going to curry favor with the private buyers. That's where the Vios comes in and it has to be a sincere effort to dethrone the King: Honda City!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 21:09   #258
Senior - BHPian

Today I took an Ola outstation. The car was an Etios Diesel.
So after settling down, I got talking with the driver.
The car was just spotless, with very clean interiors, felt very tight and there was no unwanted sound. Also no wobbling sound that one generally gets to hear/feel sitting on any taxi nowadays.
So I asked the driver if the car was new. I was shocked beyond my senses when he said the car was over 2lac kms and 3 years old. Was literally speechless.

I captured some pics, but they just don't reflect the top class condition the car was in. I tell you, these cars (Etios & Liva) give an impression of flimsy build but they are anything but flimsy. My own close to 6 years old Etios is an example. And what I saw today just reinforced that belief for all times to come. Ofcourse kudos to the owner driver too for maintaining the car in a way that resulted in it being in such a fine condition.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-etios-1.jpg  

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-etios-2.jpg  

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-etios-3.jpg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 28th September 2017 at 21:14.
rrsteer is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:07   #259
BHPian

I am in a strange dilemma. Looking for a petrol car under 10 lakhs to replace my 6-year old Liva diesel, I have narrowed my choice between Platinum Etios VX and Baleno RS. Etios has always been on my radar but was waiting for a more interesting alternative to appear. S-Cross petrol never came. Nexon has come, but the petrol engine does not seem to be so smooth, has turbo lag, and the engine is not well-tested. Honda BRV came, it seems good for touring, but in the city, not so good to weave in and out of traffic, which is kind of needed in my 45 kms daily drive. And I can only go for S variant, which actually has all the important features.

So now the choice seems to be between Etios and RS and I need your opinions/suggestions to make my decision. I am looking for an all-purpose car which combines some fun in driving with practicality and which I intend to keep for a long time.

Etios is quick in the city and good in the hills and should be quite competent on highways. It has most features I need, except projector headlamps. Toyota service is cheaper and better. It will be better for bad roads.

RS is quicker, full of features, suspension seems sorted (like Etios). Boosterjet seems pretty good and felt comfortable driving it. Coming from diesel, I did stall Etios a few times when starting from rest, but that is nothing serious. RS has enough space for people and luggage, though not as ample as Etios.

After 5-6 years, Etios will seem like a very old car, whereas RS would still be contemporary. I am a bit stuck, so please do come with your opinions/suggestions. I have to decide this week.
Old 13th November 2017, 13:21   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
After 5-6 years, Etios will seem like a very old car, whereas RS would still be contemporary. I am a bit stuck, so please do come with your opinions/suggestions. I have to decide this week.
Honestly its head over heart!
The Etios has better build and is a lot more practical with it's balanced ride and handling, the Baleno is better looking and more fun to zip around town in.

If you travel often with family/co-passengers, the Etios may be a better bet, especially if you do a lot of trips / have a growing family.

Would you be open to diesels? If so, the Figo S/Aspire S would be a good option - spacious, reliable, fun to drive, and available at a great deal too! There's also the new EcoSport worth checking out!
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:15   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly its head over heart!
The Etios has better build and is a lot more practical with it's balanced ride and handling, the Baleno is better looking and more fun to zip around town in.

If you travel often with family/co-passengers, the Etios may be a better bet, especially if you do a lot of trips / have a growing family.

Would you be open to diesels? If so, the Figo S/Aspire S would be a good option - spacious, reliable, fun to drive, and available at a great deal too! There's also the new EcoSport worth checking out!
I was kind of hoping you would respond. Actually, I am driving alone 90% of the time. But the other 10% is also important, but these trips with family are either in the city or to nearby places like Nainital. On really long drives, I am mostly alone or with one friend. Etios rear seat comfort is better for sure, but RS is not bad for trips that are not too long.

My eyes lighted up on seeing that the new Ecosport has cruise control, since I was looking for it and not finding it on any car in this range. But it is not available for petrol MT. Other than that and high GC, I did not find any strong reason to go for it, especially with its cramped space. Boosterjet seems a better and proven engine compared to Ford's dragon 1.5.

I have made up my mind to stick to petrol, so diesel is out of question. Maybe you are right, it is more a head vs heart thing after all.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 21:08   #262
BHPian

Quote:
But the other 10% is also important, but these trips with family are either in the city or to nearby places like Nainital. On really long drives, I am mostly alone or with one friend. Etios rear seat comfort is better for sure, but RS is not bad for trips that are not too long.
As a Kumaoni who lives in NCR, I can assure you Etios P will not disappoint you in long drives in the hills. Last month I took my six years old Etios (G-SP) to Barkot(Uttarkashi District) from Faridabad in around 10 hours with hardly any fatigue (I would add that my better half drove for an hour and a half on highways and we took one lunch break at Dehradun... But still, driving comfort was remarkable)

Also, I have driven Baleno (non RS) a few times and I didn't feel sitting position to be quite as comfortable to be honest (but I may be biased here). Also, as far as sporting nature is concerned, if you don't much care for FE and are ok with 14 average on highways, Etios is huge fun as well. I always get around 14~14.5 average on highways and 10~10.5 in the city but I am ok with that as I am in love with the whine of the engine at 2500~3500 rpm.

Further, as far as any car being dated is concerned, I would remind you that old Baleno or Fiesta would trump many new cars in driving pleasure.

I think if you want a good looking car, loaded with features, style and great peppy engine, Baleno is much better but if you want a primarily practical car which is great fun to drive as well, go for Etios.

Also in the above, if you choose former, I would recommend increase budget by 40k and buy VW Polo TSI. As you drive alone 90% of the time, I would say this is a great option. Buy the best there is, if you want a hot hatch, go for the best one out there. And if you want the best practical sedan under 10L, go for Etios (or increase budget to 10.8 and go for City SV).

And if you agree with me on Polo TSI, I would recommend test drive a Punto Abarth as well

Last edited by Muski : 13th November 2017 at 21:31. Reason: Typo
Muski is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 06:50   #263
Senior - BHPian

Any better looking car you buy today other than the Etios won't matter in looks after 5 years. Both will look equally old designs then! But the Etios built for long life quality will surface to the advantage of the Etios by then.

My only problem now with Etios and Liva - no automatics.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 07:09   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Today I took an Ola outstation. The car was an Etios Diesel.
While the Etios might be well built, I have add here that I have seen other taxi car models like a DZire or Indigo/Indica that also look almost new despite having run a few lakh KMS.

Its all down to a few factors:
1. Owner driven/Single driver driven with care
2. Mostly driven on NH - hardly any city - bumper to bumper
3. Maintained periodically
4. Interiors cleaned periodically

In the same vein, one comes across many of the same car models looking quite abused if they are not meeting some of the above criteria.

The cheaper the car, the more likely that its driven/abused by multiple drivers and the owner probably wants to recover his investment quickly and then flog it till its death ( and hence doesn't maintain it periodically ) - and this happens more for Indicas and Dzires because they are comparatively cheaper than the Etios/Liva
Old 14th November 2017, 12:10   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski View Post

Also, I have driven Baleno (non RS) a few times and I didn't feel sitting position to be quite as comfortable to be honest (but I may be biased here). Also, as far as sporting nature is concerned, if you don't much care for FE and are ok with 14 average on highways, Etios is huge fun as well. I always get around 14~14.5 average on highways and 10~10.5 in the city but I am ok with that as I am in love with the whine of the engine at 2500~3500 rpm.

Further, as far as any car being dated is concerned, I would remind you that old Baleno or Fiesta would trump many new cars in driving pleasure.
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Etios Liva Diesel that I have been driving for last 6 years was my first car and I am happy I chose it in 2011. It is particularly good in the hills and I still enjoy its smooth engine except for the noise filtering in the cabin. Etios is much improved now and covers all the bases. And I will certainly get better mileage than you. It is just that I was looking for some novelty in ownership and therefore waiting for another car which can match it or better it. It is the better torque and power, projector headlamps, dark interior colour, smaller size with enough space inside, possibly better NVH in Baleno RS which attracted me to it, apart from some novelty. I thought I will also extract better mileage from it. I like to drive brisk and smooth, but like to have some extra power on hold, to be used as and when required or desired.

But your observation about the driving seat comfort in Baleno on long drives compared to Etios has me worried. Your remark about the old Baleno and Fiesta is right on the dot.

Polo Tsi is automatic and that too not very reliable, apart from the cramped space at the rear. Punto Abarth is too much of a niche product besides low GC and messed up ergonomics. I did think of Linea and Urban Cross TJet, but too risky for me. I am getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Both will look equally old designs then! But the Etios built for long life quality will surface to the advantage of the Etios by then.
This is exactly what is my main worry. I will retire in 5 years, even earlier if I had my way, and would like this car to last forever.

But aren't Maruti cars also quite long lasting? We see very old Swifts doing fine. Or, can one sell Baleno after five years and buy a used Platinum Etios run 40k kms in the same price? As you can see, I am quite confused.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:11   #266
BHPian

Quote:
It is just that I was looking for some novelty in ownership and therefore waiting for another car which can match it or better it.
I totally understand that, Etios and Liva cabin is identical and 6 years is a long time to be looking at that plain jane dashboard.

Quote:
But your observation about the driving seat comfort in Baleno on long drives compared to Etios has me worried.
Kindly take an extended test drive and maybe it suits you. But I personally feel Etios seats and driving stance are more comfortable compared to Baleno for really long drives.

Quote:
Polo Tsi is automatic and that too not very reliable, apart from the cramped space at the rear. Punto Abarth is too much of a niche product besides low GC and messed up ergonomics. but too risky.
Actually TSI DSG gearbox is much better now, most issues are sorted. Anyway, VW has 3 year all parts warranty for their cars. So no worries for 3 years at least. Further, 4 year old TSI's are selling around 5~5.5 Lakhs in Delhi in OLX with around 35~40K Odo. (I have assumed that since you are buying petrol, you are running around 1000km per month). So you can keep TSI for three years and then buy another car but it will give you a 50% depreciation hit. But yes, rear seats are cramped and this is something which can be a dealbreaker for many (including myself). Abarth I agree is too risky and niche especially with FIAT now focusing on JEEP. That's why I just recommended a test drive . But DSG issues are much sorted now and a TSI can be given a serious thought today, but with the aim of selling in next 4 years.

Quote:
But aren't Maruti cars also quite long lasting? We see very old Swifts doing fine. Or, can one sell Baleno after five years and buy a used Platinum Etios run 40k kms in the same price? As you can see, I am quite confused.
4 years old Etios V with 40k odo sell around for 3.5~4 in Delhi in OLX.
you can surely buy a used Platinum Etios later, but you dont have to buy a Baleno RS to do that, the same can be done with TSI as well.

I believe if you buy Baleno RS, keep it for next 7-8 years, Maruti resale is pretty decent. If you go for TSI, sell in 3 years, if you go for Platinum Etios, keep it for 10 years as resale of Etios Petrol is not very good.

But since you are thinking about second hand, I must inform you that you can easily get second hand 2011 Altis (AT) in good condition for around 6 lakhs in Delhi. Toyota's as you have first hand experience, age very gracefully and you can keep that car for next 7-8 years without much fuss. Just skim through OLX and other such sites. before you buy, kindly take the car to Toyota service center for inspection and they will give you a reliable report. So this will save you a good 4 lakhs upfront (which you can invest in any MF for great return. In seven years even a 10% return on 4 lakhs will fetch you around 4 lakhs in interest!), and you will get a car 2 classes above what we are discussing now.

Kindly check here

Last edited by Muski : 14th November 2017 at 13:18.
Muski is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:24   #267
BHPian

@jhaji, just curious ... have you decided?

Minor point. Cars of different price in the shortlist make resale value an irrelevant consideration. Spend ₹1.5 lakhs less now, get that much less later.
Old 2nd December 2017, 14:48   #268
BHPian

Saw the red one today, looks good although it may age quickly.

It was VX, so had Bridgestone Turanza tyres. Lower ones get Goodyear something. I recently found out that the engine bonnet sound damping cover is also there only in VX . Not the sort of thing you expect, or that the salesperson tells you!
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-20171202_143513.jpg  

Old 6th February 2018, 15:58   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
Saw the red one today, looks good although it may age quickly.

It was VX, so had Bridgestone Turanza tyres. Lower ones get Goodyear something. I recently found out that the engine bonnet sound damping cover is also there only in VX . Not the sort of thing you expect, or that the salesperson tells you!
I got the Etios V with Bridgestone Turanza. I insisted with the dealer that I only want Bridgestone or Michelin - and they got it.

Yes, there is no damper in the bonnet. Which is sad... I'll check with the service station if they can provide one.
Old 11th March 2022, 15:52   #270
Senior - BHPian

I drove home a 2017 Liva Platinum Dual tone VX yesterday. The facelift largely takes care of the bland looks, and the car feels pretty nice to drive. I was afraid the engine would be underpowered, but its surprisingly drivable - at least better than the Hyundai kappa engine and on par with the altroz iTurbo. From the Indica, I feel positively spoilt inside it - Dual Din Head unit, 4 power windows, Electric and folding mirrors, alloy wheels, things a lot of us take for granted these days, but I'm happy with a reliable mechanicals and fun to drive
greenhorn is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed