Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2016, 18:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Toyota has launched facelifted versions of the Etios and Liva twins. The new models add the 'Platinum' tag to their monikers. The Toyota Platinum Etios sedan has been introduced at a starting price of Rs. 6.43 lakh, while the Platinum Etios Liva hatchback is priced from Rs. 5.24 lakh. (All prices ex-showroom Mumbai)

On the outside, the new Platinum models get a reworked front bumper, V-shaped grille, and a slightly tweaked rear bumper. The profile of the car remains identical to the previous model, though a new set of alloy wheels will be offered on the top-end trim.

The interiors also get some minor tweaks. Acknowledging the Etios' popularity in the fleet car market, Toyota claims to have worked on the rear seat to make it a bit more comfortable. The company also claims that the facelifted models feature 7% better NVH insulation. The dashboard design hasn't been fiddled with, though it gets a new dual-tone treatment of ivory and black. The centre-mounted instrument cluster now features a digital tachometer.

In the safety department, Toyota has made dual Airbags and ABS a standard feature across all variants. Rear seats get the ISOFIX child seat mounts. Engine options on offer have been carried forward from the previous models, i.e, a 1.5-litre petrol for the Etios, a 1.2-litre petrol for the Liva, and a 1.4-litre diesel. These engines are offered with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The new Platinum models will be sold alongside the pre-facelift models, though the latter will be exclusively available for commercial sales.

The new Platinum models will be sold alongside the pre-facelift models, though the latter will be exclusively available for commercial sales.

Variant-wise prices of the Toyota Platinum Etios and Etios Liva are as follows: (ex-showroom, Mumbai):

Etios Liva Petrol:
STD – Rs. 5.24 lakh
DLX – Rs. 5.58 lakh
High – Rs. 5.73 lakh
Premium – Rs. 6.28 lakh

Etios Liva Diesel:
STD – Rs. 6.61 lakh
DLX – Rs. 6.94 lakh
High – Rs. 7.02 lakh
Premium – Rs. 7.44 lakh

Etios Platinum Petrol:
STD – Rs. 6.43 lakh
DLX – Rs. 6.83 lakh
High – Rs. 7.17 lakh
Premium – Rs. 7.74 lakh

Etios Platinum Diesel:
STD – Rs. 7.56 lakh
DLX – Rs. 7.96 lakh
High – Rs. 8.30 lakh
Premium – Rs. 8.87 lakh

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-unnamed-6.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-unnamed-7.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-gallery2b_tcm3482645.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-gallery3b_tcm3482660.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-image.png

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2016 at 18:15. Reason: Adding image
dZired is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Yet another facelift which is not going to take sales anywhere. The interior which is the weakest point still remains unchanged. No matter how many facelifts are done, it simply won't sell outside taxi segment with this interior. Cars priced far lower than Etios have interiors miles ahead of this.

Coming to the facelift itself. I am not impressed at all. The bumper looks too busy & overdone. I would rather prefer the clean looks of outgoing version. Good to see airbags & ABS standard across all variants
AkMar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Are we the only country getting the same kind of interior plastic quality from toyota for its etios model? I dont have words to express my displeasure to toyota as i consider this as an insult to indian consumers. I always get the smell of cheap plastics when ever i enter any toyota vehicles sold here which makes me so uncomfortable especially for long travels. I do have few friends including me who always tends to puke whenever we travel on old gen innovas. Toyota really need to grow up on showing a bit of respect to us. We must thank VW and hyundai in this aspect as these are two brands who really taught us indians to travel in a quality atmosphere as far as interior quality is concerned.
highwaypatrol is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:36   #4
BANNED

Is there any change in quality of interior plastic or is it just the change in color? Why can't they move the odometer to where exactly it should be? Disgusting.

The space Etios offers is awesome and with all the safety kit it had a potential to make a good car. I don't know what Toyota is aiming at.

They should hire someone from Hyundai to design their dashboard. Kudos to Tata in this department. They have come a long way in the interior quality.
manojraja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Are we the only country getting the same kind of interior plastic quality from toyota for its etios model? I dont have words to express my displeasure to toyota as i consider this as an insult to indian consumers. I always get the smell of cheap plastics when ever i enter any toyota vehicles sold here which makes me so uncomfortable especially for long travels. I do have few friends including me who always tends to puke whenever we travel on old gen innovas. Toyota really need to grow up on showing a bit of respect to us. We must thank VW and hyundai in this aspect as these are two brands who really taught us indians to travel in a quality atmosphere as far as interior quality is concerned.
Completely agree mate! This is sheer arrogance! Even the new Toyota Innova is no exception when it comes to bad quality plastics! Trust me, Hyundai Grand i10 has better plastic in it!

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2016 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:51   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yet another facelift which is not going to take sales anywhere. The interior which is the weakest point still remains unchanged. No matter how many facelifts are done, it simply won't sell outside taxi segment with this interior. Cars priced far lower than Etios have interiors miles ahead of this.
I absolutely agree with you. Till Toyota doesn't tweak up the interiors of both these cars, it's going to be hard to sell it. Being such an old player in the market I just fail to understand how they did this big blunder even after they failed on the initial launch they could have corrected it when facelift was introduced. This is the second facelift and still nothing on the interiors.
vdm295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 19:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Those alloys on the Liva are lifted from the erstwhile 1.5P TRD variant.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 20:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow i am sure taxi operators would be delighted by the new facelift design. I bet they were bored of the same old look and the old fashioned instrument cluster. I think they will be pretty excited with the digital cluster.

I don't think Toyota cares who buys their cars. Taxi guys or individuals as long as it sells on the basis of their name. They could probably stamp their logo on a dead cat and people probably will still buy it.

What's the harm if Toyota redesigned the interior a bit. Give the consumer what he wants to buy and not what you want to sell them Toyota.

Just my humble opinion no offence meant to Etios owners just that you guys deserve better.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2016 at 12:39. Reason: Typos
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th September 2016, 20:03   #9
BHPian

Why is the price increased by more than Rs. 1.25L for a minor facelift? What warrants it? The ABS and airbags? Anyone has more info?
MinivanDriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 20:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

re: 2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
....The alloys on the top end Liva are hot - they remind me of the TRD version .......
They are the same design.

Given how bland the interior continues to be, they should've probably re-launched the 1.5P version. Some may have ended up buying it just for that sweet petrol motor (amid the general lack of good petrol motors in the budget hatchback space).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th September 2016 at 20:18.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 20:52   #11
BHPian

re: 2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They are the same design.

Given how bland the interior continues to be, they should've probably re-launched the 1.5P version. Some may have ended up buying it just for that sweet petrol motor (amid the general lack of good petrol motors in the budget hatchback space).
I guess they aren't doing that as the 1.5P motor would void the excise exemption and would lead to higher taxes and effectively the car would be priced just below the etios sedan. And believe me, there would be even fewer takers for a car priced at par with Jazz VX with such bland interiors and minimal creature comforts.

On the other hand if Jazz today is launched with iVtech 1.5 engine, I myself would book right now, even if it is priced in 10 lakh category.
Old 13th September 2016, 21:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Toyota really missed a good opportunity here. They could have gone that extra distance, and made something like what Tata made out of the Vista (Bolt / Zest) or at least what Honda did with the Amaze... Giving it much improved interiors.
Taking out the weakest link out of a car with solid mechanical package, good space and amazing reliability would really have been a turning point in its life.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 13th September 2016 at 21:23.
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 22:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

There's nothing to cheer about. The Etios never sold in huge numbers and hopefully we'll never see a product with uninspired design.
Nothing wrong functionality wise, but just boring design wouldn't cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Toyota really missed a good opportunity here. They could have gone that extra distance, and made something like what Tata made out of the Vista
There's no point doing that for Toyota. It'll be a waste of many and time. They have got the better car ready- Vios. I still don't get why they are dragging their feet over launching the Vios. I read recently that Toyota's plant is working only at 50% capacity.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 22:32   #14
BHPian

2016 Toyota Platinum Etios & Platinum Etios Liva launched

What a missed opportunity for Toyota. They could have used this facelift to overhaul the interior design, put the console in the right place, chuck the rotary AC vents, give proper head rests and bring in an automatic variant as well.

PS :- What's with that Platinum monicker?! 😭

Last edited by Motormania : 13th September 2016 at 22:33.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 23:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Such a capable car, and multiple wasted opportunities by Toyota. Wish at least they had given a proper face-lift - projector lamps, elegant grill and bumpers (and not this Baleno-Amaze khichdi), moved the rear number plate up to that slab-like tail-gate, an all new dash with conventional meter cluster and AC vents, and black interiors.

Something to cheer about - ABS, airbags and ISOFIX points. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
give proper head rests

They look proper to me. Am I missing something?
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks