Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 13:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldn't think so as the seatback would be the same. Has to do with the spare tyre (is it bigger now?), thicker boot floor or a calculation variance.
I use the VD variant with 15" tyres. Spare tyre was always of the same size as the tyres used on the wheels otherwise.

Refer the photo of the back of the rear seat. That hump behind the center seat ( for accommodating the foldable arm rest ) was not there in the old models. And 3L seems to be the same amount of additional space that the projection seems to be occupying.

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-rear_set_fold.jpg
amalji is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 13:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the facelift is a good move by Toyota to cater to private owners. As mentioned in the first post, the prefacelift model will continue to cater to commercial vehicles.

At least the private owners have an option to come out of the taxi image and go for it.

This will be similar to Swift Dzire and Swift Dzire Tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I guess this is the only car below 20 lacs which gives 3 headrests for the rear seat??
My XUV has 3 headrests in the rear seat which is below 20 lacs. I guess there are few more cars which give proper head rests.
fusionbang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 13:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Platinum Etios & Platinum Etios Liva launched

Frankly for majority of the private car buyers looking at keeping the car for max 5-10 yrs and around 1-1.5 lakh kms, Any car will serve the purpose !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
because we Indians in general care about what our neighbours think of our car regardless of how utilitarian, comfortable, safe, VFM, durable and practical the car otherwise is.
Considering the fact that most of the indians are owning the cars for the first time, nothing wrong in it Otherwise we never had any market for Luxury cars isn't it ?

According to me all toyota cars are overpriced(Innova,Fortuner,Corolla) so there is nothing VFM about them. They surely are charging a premium for the products they are offering.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 14:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Passengers are going to be a happier lot in the Etios. I really appreciate Toyota for giving three headrests for rear passengers. Fiat Linea used to provide three earlier, then they removed it completely. Honda City or Ciaz does not provide separate ones and are pretty short.

I liked the front design, the Liva looks better now

I say this again, no other Sedan offers such VFM. You get a higher end full blown (and crash tested !) sedan just under 10 lakh.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd buy the Liva 1.5L over the Polo GT TSI.
I bought one in May 2013 and if I were buying today, that would still be my first choice. If one was available with an auto box especially with traffic only getting worse.

It takes ownership to really understand the value of the car. Which is a pity.
Sawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Considering the fact that most of the indians are owning the cars for the first time, nothing wrong in it Otherwise we never had any market for Luxury cars isn't it ?
The intend was not to say that it is right/wrong but to mention, what decides the sales numbers ( in addition to the brand reputation and other factors ). The speedo design on the Etios right from the first generation, whoever did it didn't have a clue of what an average Indian private car buyer would look for from a car. Toyota thought, Indians will buy the car trusting the brand regardless of how the car would look like ( inside and outside ).

It's another fact that the Taxi segment who is very concerned about the VFM factor are gulping up the Etios.

The same car sells around 7000 per month in a country like Brazil who are more used to Toyota cars and knows what to expect from a Toyota. In fact, they had to upgrade their production capacity of the Etios from 74,000 odd per year to 1,08,000 per year last year.

Brand Toyota in India equates to "premium" which is not necessarily the case. It's just that India didn't have a good reliable Diesel engine when Qualis was first released. Everyone was awed by the reliability a Diesel engine can have. And when Innova was first released, I remember people equated that to the flight cabin. So, when Toyota released a no nonsense car which was fundamentally very strong at a price range, that Toyota is not used to compete with, our expectations was something completely different.

But, having used this cars for 5 years and 1,10,000 kms Toyota has got a customer for life.
My parents own a Liva. They badly need an automatic. I suggested them to go for the Honda Jazz Automatic if it's a replacement or a Maruti Suzuki Celerio if it's an additional buy for city use. But, they said let Toyota come up with an automatic and then they'll upgrade. What gives that confidence ? My father's experience with Toyotas in middle east for around 20 years and that trust factor getting solidified after he used the Toyota Etios Liva in India for the last 5 years and 45,000 kms.
amalji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Even considering its slightly over the top looks, I'd say a top of the line Liva Cross, with a diesel and auto box would be the ideal high mileage car for India.

Unbreakable. Comfortable. Cheap over the distance. And hassle free, world class after sales support.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The good things
As always a very good summary of the update as I have come to expect from you Amal! Esp. for ETIOS . The summary of the update on autocar mentioned few other updates: Improved damping and hydraulic mounts etc.

I know for sure that the hydraulic mounts aren't new. They came long back and you even had them retro-fitted in your ETIOS. Are there any damping updates this time around too?

Besides this, I am really glad that Toyota hasn't overlooked the safety aspect of the car. Agreed! the same can't be said about the aesthetics of the car, but I now know that my rides to the airport and back in an ETIOS are as safe as they can get (you know what I mean). I remember reading an article sometime back where the journo had quoted a govt. official saying "ETIOS is a safe car". I just couldn't believe it then. Was pleasantly surprised when ETIOS got 4 star rating in the Glocal NCAP! Because of these actions/updates, I have now come to trust Toyota on the safety aspect.

Quote:
Safety upgrades[list][*]3 point seat belt for the rear passenger
Lastly, I think you meant 3 point seat belt for rear center passenger. I think this is a segment first! Heck, it could be a first for any car this side of 15 Lakhs in India (If I am not mistaken)! It can be clearly seen in the picture that you have posted in your second post where you have clarified the reduced boot space!

Last edited by naut : 14th September 2016 at 15:37.
naut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Improved damping and hydraulic mounts etc.
I know for sure that the hydraulic mounts aren't new. They came long back and you even had them retro-fitted in your ETIOS. Are there any damping updates this time around too?
Need to see it in real before giving a view of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Lastly, I think you meant 3 point seat belt for rear center passenger. I think this is a segment first! Heck, it could be a first for any car this side of 15 Lakhs in India (If I am not mistaken)! It can be clearly seen in the picture that you have posted in your second post where you have clarified the reduced boot space!
Yes, I meant the "rear center" seat belt. I've reported my post to the mods to get it corrected.
Thanks for the heads up

Check the below pic for a better view of it.

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-three_point_seatblelt-rear.jpg

Last edited by amalji : 14th September 2016 at 16:26.
amalji is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:33   #40

Quote:
My parents own a Liva. They badly need an automatic. I suggested them to go for the Honda Jazz Automatic if it's a replacement or a Maruti Suzuki Celerio if it's an additional buy for city use. But, they said let Toyota come up with an automatic and then they'll upgrade. What gives that confidence ? My father's experience with Toyotas in middle east for around 20 years and that trust factor getting solidified after he used the Toyota Etios Liva in India for the last 5 years and 45,000 kms.
Amol Ji, I had bought Etios 20 months back, trust me, till now I dont have any complaints regarding the car. As on today I have done 70000 kms.Is Etios interiors are so bad compared to Hyundai cars? In terms of Design or Color or quality of the plastics? Finding Hard to understand the opinions. Btw I have seen the interiors of Creta.
Old 14th September 2016, 16:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

More than anything else, I'd say the interiors lack the sense of luxury provided by soft touch materials. On the plus side, they are very well screwed together and are hard wearing, so they won't rattle or look much worse than what they do when new.

I suppose what they lack, like the rest of the car, is flair. Basically, the car looks like the honest workhorse that it is. Again, those that own it, have very little to criticise it about.
Sawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
More than anything else, I'd say the interiors lack the sense of luxury provided by soft touch materials. On the plus side, they are very well screwed together and are hard wearing, so they won't rattle or look much worse than what they do when new.

I suppose what they lack, like the rest of the car, is flair. Basically, the car looks like the honest workhorse that it is. Again, those that own it, have very little to criticise it about.
You have described it perfectly. As an Etios owner, I can say from the inside the car looks as it would have when it was driven out of the showroom. No rattle or squeak in its fifth year, but decidedly cheap interiors.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 22:43   #43
BHPian

If they could not change the interiors for all the models, they could at least introduce limited edition versions for a short time, with an increased cost and give some better looking interiors.
Old 15th September 2016, 05:15   #44
MSC
BHPian

1. Just like bank companies brand their premiere Credit Card as premium / platinum, Toyota branded its new versions as platinum versions.
2. The only good thing is standard fitting of Airbags & ABS.
Rest is just plain typical Indian car upgrade.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2016 at 09:31. Reason: Typo
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 05:16   #45
BHPian

I can withstand anything except for the speedometer . Do we have some sort of lid to cover this thing ?

Provide something like BMW Mini center console , I know I'm expecting too much from Toyota
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-mini.jpg  

Most Viewed