Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 09:50   #61
BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Toyota should just kill this thing and get in the new Vios.

If that's too hard, keep this as a taxi only model, strip out "useless" stuff like airbags etc, and lower cost. Ugly old lady isn't going to be desirable with this botox shot.
Old 18th September 2016, 11:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
You have described it perfectly. As an Etios owner, I can say from the inside the car looks as it would have when it was driven out of the showroom. No rattle or squeak in its fifth year, but decidedly cheap interiors.
Exactly so. Having driven the first generation Liva GD for four years with 60K on the odo, I have no complaints whatsoever. No rattle or squeak anywhere and everything inside looks as it would have been when it was driven out of the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hudson View Post
Any idea if Toyota have included the rubber door beading or its missed even in this upgrade? That is one sore point that most Etios/Liva owners have complained about.
The point of rubber door beading missing was mentioned in T-BHP's review. When I bought the car, I was sceptical about this. Over the four years, I have completely forgotten about this point as even during torrential downpours none of the doors leaked. And I never need to worry about the rubber door bead coming out of the door panel as with other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post

If that's too hard, keep this as a taxi only model, strip out "useless" stuff like airbags etc, and lower cost. Ugly old lady isn't going to be desirable with this botox shot.
I strongly disagree. This killer's instinct comes only from people who have not used the Etios twins. Many of the owners, like me, would be going for this car again as this car gives absolute peace of mind and is so easy to maintain!

Last edited by subratasenn : 18th September 2016 at 11:17. Reason: punctuation
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 12:42   #63
BHPian

Didn't mean to offend. I've been on the Etios and also the Vios. These are my personal views only. Sorry, still find it ugly and uncomfortable.
Like the Etios in India, Vios also performs taxi duties in various parts of SE Asia.
My competitive experiences are from this only- Etios Taxi and Vios taxi. Both base models. I'd stand my ground on my opinion on the Etios and Vios.
Vios is 1.3L/1.5L. Its 90-100bhp for the 1.3 and very fuel efficient. Ride quality is significantly better, so is interior space and refinement. Looks are subjective, but IMHO no contest with the Etios. Taxi drivers pay a 10-20% premium for the Vios over the Nissan Sentra, a marginally bigger car for the peace of mind. No rattles / squeaks, ease of maintenance etc is a Toyota characteristic, trickles Down to Etios.
I'm only comparing two offerings in the Toyota stable. I believe that if both were sold together, most if not all will go for the Vios.
Once again, no offence meant. Killer instinct is called evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I agree. Actually, I don't even know of any other car that fits the bill as well as this one does, for people that think like you, at the price point.
And don't play down the value of the service support. My new car came with a rattle somewhere inside it, and a wobbly rear view mirror. In surprising contrast, a Nano I bought at the same time was flawlessly built. With the Toyota, what was a minor irritation was turned around by the exemplary manner in which DSK Toyota fixed the two issues. And matters have remained satisfactory, and the annual attention to the car is still done better than any I have experienced from over half a dozen brands in the last three decades.
But the ultimate test of any product in the market place has to be of obtaining enough customers willing to pay for it. And by that standard, the car is a failure because I am sure that the target market for it was not just taxi fleets. A case of Japanese arrogance, in a similar way that Fiat continues to fail in India because of Italian arrogance. But Toyota at least has the Innova/Fortuner success to learn from, if they choose to do so. Fiat has nothing.
I believe that's a Toyota attribute which tricked down to the Etios.

Most of the Toyotas compared to the competition are not top dogs in all departments. Camry Vs Accord. Fortuner Vs Everest. But they tick the most boxes. That being said I'd repeat buy a Toyota in my price range.
Any car that gets picked up by the taxi segment at even a marginal premium - that vouches for its longevity and trouble free ownership.

Last edited by ampere : 19th September 2016 at 06:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
hkborah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 15:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Way before Toyota came to India, I remember a conversation with a taxi driver with a Toyota in Singapore about why he wasn't driving an E class Merc like his kind in Germany. He said that Toyota does 400k kms before needing an engine top end rebuild, while no Merc can run for more than 100K in a taxi use environment without needing one.

That was in the mid nineties. Little has changed in twenty years.

Last edited by Sawyer : 18th September 2016 at 15:14.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 16:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:

So the taxi/Uber/Ola driver (and front passenger's for that matter) life is worth nothing?

Shocking attitude that is found only in India.
chncar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 16:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

The more I read about the Etios the more I feel I'm looking at my future car. I've zeroed upon the Platinum Etios 1.5L petrol top end VX. Just waiting to take a TD! With all the positive vibes from owners and the Toyota peace of mind, I feel it would be one sensible buy!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 18:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A huge cost and price challenge that, I think. I can't see it being sold at anything less than a couple of lakhs more than the equivalent Etios. Maybe more. And then the issue of the conflict with the Corolla markets.

Interesting to see what Toyota does though.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 19:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
strip out "useless" stuff like airbags etc, and lower cost.
I hope you didn't actually mean this.

The importance of safety features has been discussed millions of times here and they are equally important to everyone irrespective of the segment!

Toyota could have opted to strip out the safety features only to make them available as an option and thus making the base model cheaper. It is certainly a welcome move by them for not going that way
Hrishi_111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 22:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The more I read about the Etios the more I feel I'm looking at my future car. I've zeroed upon the Platinum Etios 1.5L petrol top end VX. Just waiting to take a TD! With all the positive vibes from owners and the Toyota peace of mind, I feel it would be one sensible buy!
If you really want peace of mind and low maintenance cost, go for it. If you decide on the look of the interior plastic, maybe this is not the car. One thing is there, even those plastics don't fade away and look exactly the same even after several years.
For me, the Etios Platinum has ticked all the right buttons. And that it's a NCAP 4 rated car is a great thing in terms of safety. Please do report on your TD.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 22:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishi_111 View Post
I hope you didn't actually mean this.

The importance of safety features has been discussed millions of times here and they are equally important to everyone irrespective of the segment!

Toyota could have opted to strip out the safety features only to make them available as an option and thus making the base model cheaper. It is certainly a welcome move by them for not going that way
Of course I didnt. The Quotes were supposed to convey that.

Unless we have strong regulations, we wont see the best of technology. Assam tried to ban cars that failed crash tests, didnt work for obvious reasons.

Corolla and Vios sell together elsewhere. They are well differentiated by size as well as engine capacity. But if you compare Toyota global prices and Indian prices, they are charge us a bomb. Vios creams Honda City in sales elsewhere. You are probably right. But I feel we Indians should reject obsolete technology. Else we wont get the best ones.

Mod Note: Please proof read before posting

Last edited by ampere : 19th September 2016 at 09:21. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors and punctuation
hkborah is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2016, 00:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Of course I didnt. The Quotes were supposed to convey that.

Unless we have strong regulations, we wont see the best of.technlogy. Assam tried to ban cars that failed crash tests, didnt work for obvious reasons.

Corolla and Vios sells.together elsewhere, well.differentialted by size as well as engine.size. but yes, if you compare toyota global prices and indian prices, they are charging us Indians a bomb. Vios creams Honda City in sales elsewhere. You are probably right. But i feel we Indians should reject obsolete technology. Else we wont get the best ones.
You hit the nail on the head right there, hkborah. The only reason Indians have been getting obsolete products from Toyota below 15L is because we keep on paying a premium for obsolete stuff, citing quality. It's difficult to believe that with all of Toyota's global expertise and experience in building cars, the best they can do is the Etios and Liva in their segments. It is arrogance at it's worst. Any other manufacturer would have junked that dashboard years ago and replaced it with a nicer one. Honda, Fiat, Nissan, Tata, Mahindra, have all had issues with bad interiors and have updated the interiors timely. With Etios, we get new stickers and different coloured plastics.
Old 19th September 2016, 00:55   #72
BHPian

Well, take a rest haters and dash-obsessed enthusiasts on this one, please.

The real dilemma I'm facing is one someone objective, and someone who has had one for some time, will be able to help me resolve.

Before the latest avatar was launched, variant G was a difficult buy because of the ABS factor. For an audiophile, the charm of stock ICE wasn't much, and I wasn't much of a chrome tint-and-hint person anyway. But ABS, though debatable on some fora, was still a pull towards V/VX.

But now with everything but ICE and a few knick-knacks like ORVM indicators, everything more suited to your personal taste, can be put in in a GX with money to spare rather than buying a V/VX. It has the standard ABS-EBD, same triple headrests, the same ISOFIX, the same armrest; basically, all the essentials.

So why is it a difficult decision?

The outgoing Gs that I inspected are all from March this year, parked in an open air stockyard, braving the elements. I could see rust on discs, and a bit in the centre of the rim, posing a question about the state of underbody. Though it did start without much fuss after the terminals were reconnected, and the fact that even the most expensive offerings from the brand were stocked in a similar fashion, it still makes me take a step back.

Now the dilemma is between a late-manufactured fresh-off-the-line GX with everything you'd need at 790K onroad, and an existing element-braving G with a 25K saving, plus 45K cash discount, making it a round 80K difference between the outgoing and incoming one including a few other 'goodies'. Given all the vehicles share the same fate under the sky makes you feel a bit reassured, but seeing it with your own eyes leaves an impact. The sales staff says it will prim and proper and subject to inspection when they make it 'ready-to-deliver' and that storing in open doesn't cause any problem; 'That's the way it's done'.

With all the facts on the table, which option makes more sense? All advice is welcome.

Last edited by atrocious : 19th September 2016 at 00:59.
Old 19th September 2016, 02:40   #73
BHPian

I would suggest that you go for the GX. The changes made to the latest model does justify the premium.
On the other hand, 45k cash discount from Toyota is very rare and may be for clearing not-in-shape stock
Old 19th September 2016, 06:25   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

What's with the naming these days? Platinum, Crysta, Altise, Elite, Grand, Classic etc.

Why can't they just keep it simple with the car's actual name? It's actually an oxymoron. There's nothing classic or grand or elite about these new models for they offer. And what an insult to a metal like Platinum to be labeled on Toyota's Cars that scream CHEAP.

Last edited by kiku007 : 19th September 2016 at 06:28.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 07:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocious View Post
I could see rust on discs, and a bit in the centre of the rim, posing a question about the state of underbody.
Speaking just to this - go ahead and check the underbody! On a new car, rust will be easy to see and should not be there. If it is just on the discs, it isn't unusual though because to perform, discs cannot be painted and the thin layer of rust will fall off in use. Centre of the wheel rim is a different matter and is surprising. But you can always ask for a wheel swap.

Most Viewed