Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 09:45   #106
BHPian

Re: 2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
I would wait for the 1.5 petrol S-Cross for the reasons you mention since my mind is made up that my next car will be a petrol car. If it does not turn out to be so good, then may be I will go for a top-end black Etios which looks interesting. Not sure if the 2-3 lakhs premium on Honda BRV is worth it.
For what its worth, the Mobilo got a maximum 3 rating in Global NCAP. BRV based on same platform will fare at most that.
Old 20th September 2016, 09:58   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
We are talking about 4 lakh plus kms. And yes, there are etios taxis that i know of that has covered 4 Lakhs kms plus without any major issues.
We have the original Logan taxis here in Bangalore which have covered similar distances without much issues as well.
Quote:
Give me one vehicle in India which beats the replacement interval mentioned there.
Need to do some research and as you told, that will be trivial data. I really don't want to prove any point
Quote:
You don't get into judgments based on lemons.
My point was, even Toyota can produce a lemon; that's all. I had also mentioned in the other thread that the law of averages holds good in this case and agree that the probability of getting something like that from Toyota is lesser than from some other manufacturer.
Quote:
Regardless, I'm very interested in knowing more about that timing chain issue. I would like to get Toyota's explanation on that. Could you please pm me the registration number of this vehicle?
I can PM you the details, but only after I get the permission from my friend
Again, I don't have anything against Toyota or the Etios and know the car very well as I have one in the family. I was just reiterating the point that it is not the perfect car at the price point. It has its strengths, but weaknesses as well.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 10:30   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
1) Myth 1 - "Etios has poor quality interiors":

Etios interiors look the same way even after five years of ownership. It is not just me but almost every owner says it. Etios may not be neighbor's envy as of now. But it is certainly an owner's pride. The dash lovers should check the interiors of any three year old Vento to understand what cheap looking interiors mean.
This isn't a myth, the part quality is definitely budget grade and to compare it with Vento . The centrally placed instrument console and the vertically placed center A/C vents are an eyesore.

Its a practical VFM sedan but you need to be open to accept the short comings, for no car is perfect

Quote:
2) Myth 2 - Poor NVH factor :

Noise was a bit of an issue in first generation Etios. The vibration or handling was never an issue. Even the noise issue was greatly reduced for those who opted for 3M under-body coating that would cost just about 4 grand.
This doesn't change the fact that NVH is poor. You are talking about vibration and handling under NVH. NVH depends on the insulation in the engine bay, proper cladding in the wheel wells, rubber beading on the door and the frame and quality of tires. I don't understand how a 3m under body coating improves NVH???

Quote:
3) Myth 3 - Designed for Cabs?

Which cab driver would want a base model to have ABS, airbags, rear defogger and power windows? All these could take up the cost of any car by one hundred thousand and any cab driver would be happier with a one lakh reduction in price. To say that Etios is designed only for cabs is ignorance at its best.
Its fact that majority of Etios sales comes from the Taxi segment, it doesn't attract private buyers because it isn't as plush as its competitors

Etios is a reliable, no non sense, practical, VFM car, all it needed was an attractive exterior design and good interiors. The exterior has been taken care of but the interiors still remain as a negative point, Toyota could have used this opportunity to give better interior design. Conventional placement of the instrument console and the A/C vents would have sorted most of the issues.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 20th September 2016 at 10:35.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 11:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
This isn't a myth, the part quality is definitely budget grade and to compare it with Vento . The centrally placed instrument console and the vertically placed center A/C vents are an eyesore.

This doesn't change the fact that NVH is poor.
The plastics stays as good as new even after years of abuse. And the central placement of the console as well as the AC vents placement has very good advantages and are part of the factors that makes etios a practical sedan. I've already explained this in my previous post.

So, for other requirements, there are other vehicles. For an etios owner, the utility this design offers is unique and I would love that to be kept that in the same place. But, at the same time, I would give my thumps to changing that speedo to the digital version released in Brazil ( but still keeping it at the center )

With regards to NVH ( noise, vibration and harshness ), the initial batches of etios had poor engine noise and road noise control. But, vibrations and harshness were well controlled.

With the latest etios, engine noise has come down a lot inside the cabin. But, it's still not the benchmark and certainly cannot be compared to the Vento which even though sounds like a truck engine from the outside, is pretty silent from inside the cabin. Etios engine on the other side is less noisy outside compared to the vw/Renault/Ford diesels from outside, but Toyota still did not take the effort to make it silent inside. Personally, i do feel that Toyota should have made it silent like the way they did for the corolla D-4d.

Quote:
You are talking about vibration and handling under NVH. NVH depends on the insulation in the engine bay, proper cladding in the wheel wells, rubber beading on the door and the frame and quality of tires. I don't understand how a 3m under body coating improves NVH???
It does dampen the road noise to an extend due to the rubberised nature of the 3m coating. Even 3m advertises this affect. And 3m coating is even done on the wheel wells.

Quote:
Etios is a reliable, no non sense, practical, VFM car, all it needed was an attractive exterior design and good interiors. The exterior has been taken care of but the interiors still remain as a negative point, Toyota could have used this opportunity to give better interior design. Conventional placement of the instrument console and the A/C vents would have sorted most of the issues.
In fact, I feel the reverse. Except for the speedo, interiors are pretty well taken care of now. It's the exteriors that needs a change. And knowing Toyota, they are not going to bring in major design changes for any model so fast. So, the right expectation for people who are concerned about aesthetics would be the vios.

Last edited by amalji : 20th September 2016 at 11:35.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 11:48   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Etios interiors look the same way even after five years of ownership.
Quote:
The plastics stays as good as new even after years of abuse.
What is the whole point when 'new' itself is the worst in the segment and two segments below as well when compared to some competition?

The only Etios interior I could adjust with was the all black plastics of the Etios Cross. I wouldn't buy others in the range, just because of the interiors. Exterior looks come second only. Can't see this interior every day without feeling disappointed about life. I'd rather skip the purchase and save up for something nicer.

I do whole heartedly appreciate the safety and reliability aspect though, and would prefer it as a cab whenever possible.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th September 2016 at 11:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 12:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What is the whole point when 'new' itself is the worst in the segment and two segments below as well when compared to some competition?
As I said, it depends on what the buyer expects out of the interiors.
If the expectation is ergonomics, utility, space, practicality, it's certainly the best in the segment and even in segments above it.

If it's about how it looks, it certainly is the worst in segment. So, for people who has a high priority for aesthetics should look for other cars while for people who care more about the aspects mentioned above, they can consider the Etios. There is no "best car for all". The best car for a person depends on what the person expects out of that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can't see this interior every day without feeling disappointed about life. I'd rather skip the purchase and save up for something nicer.
For a typical Etios buyer looking for practicality, he would be more concerned about the comfort and the kind of non-claustrophobic feel inside than the dash looks. The dash looking better would have been any day welcome. But, when you are inside a car, you will mostly be enjoying the view outside. Staring at the dash can only work for the first few weeks of ownership.

The AC filter, air cooled glove box, the placement of AC vents, the ergonomics of the driver seat, the freedom to handle steering tilt to make it ergonomic rather than to avoid it blocking the speedo, the huge size of the glove box, the space in the rear seat to cross your legs and relax even while the front passenger is in a slanted position, the humongous boot space all matters more for a typical Etios buyer than the looks inside.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 19:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: We all love our cars but let's try and be a little objective here. Nipping this discussion in the bud- any more blindly pro- and anti-Etios posts will be summarily deleted.
noopster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 15:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

And then there was light... err White.

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-img20160921wa0000.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-img20160921wa0003.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-img20160921wa0001.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios & Liva facelifts launched. Called Platinum-img20160921wa0002.jpg
samaspire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 16:20   #114
BHPian

I visited a dealer in Delhi to have a look at the new Etios Platinum. A red petrol VX was on display. Couple of observations:

1. The rear seat armrest is a bit flimsy - it has some play and does not fit back snugly into its compartment. The 3 litres less boot space (old - 595 litres; new 592 litres) is because of the rear armrest hump that projects into the boot.

2. There is now a damper in the engine hood (I dont know if it was there in earlier versions) - this too was a bit loose. I touched the buttons which secure it to the metal hood - there was fair amount of play again. It would rattle I guess.

3. Rear folding seat - works well. But I don't think there could be much use (unlike a hatch-back with folding rear seats) since there is a metal guard which reduces the width of the space between the boot and rear seat area of the car. It could be useful to keep long - narrow items.

Rest seems as is inside except the console.

Cars for sale are still on their way from Bangalore and I was told by the SA that it would take 10-15 days before deliveries could start. Also absolutely no discounts at this point in time (even though I mentioned that it was Shraad time and their sales would be lagging).

Discounts are available on the outgoing Etios.
dileep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 16:33   #115
BHPian

Just booked a Platinum Etios V (Petrol) Silver at Galaxy Toyota, Delhi.

Reasons for booking the V instead of the more popular and recommended G (even the SA recommends the G). Difference in ex-showroom (Delhi) cost Rs. 27711/-
1. Factory fitted music system
2. Bigger wheels (185/60/15)
3. Some incidental stuff like fabric on door panels, indicators on OVRMs, electric OVRMs, etc.

a) I checked the rear armrest in the car today - it fitted well without any play.
b) Also checked the damper in engine boot - it had play but the SA mentioned that it sits on the air-filter cover which presses it - so it does not rattle.

No cash discounts but they've thrown in floor mats and mud flaps.

They have one Silver V in their warehouse so delivery is planned for Tuesday 27th September after all is done - insurance, RC, etc. This was a pulling factor towards Galaxy Toyota. Previously I had been in touch with Uttam and Espirit but their SAs were not at all responsive. Despite calling them twice a day for the past 4 days they could not give me a date for expected arrival of an Etios V in Silver.

The Galaxy SA also told me that production and shipment of Toyota cars from Bangalore has been hit by the recent Water issue between KA and TN. He even said that a couple of trucks carrying their vehicles were burnt. I don't know if this is true.

Once I have the car, I'll be updating my experiences on this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...oint-view.html
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 16:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Just booked a Platinum Etios V (Petrol) Silver at Galaxy Toyota, Delhi.

Once I have the car, I'll be updating my experiences on this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...oint-view.html
Congrats on the great buy! But, why would you need to update on Samba's ownership thread. Start your own thread. It will give you a clean space. Else, Samba's and your ownership reports will get mixed up. Just a suggestion.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:50   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mod Note: We all love our cars but let's try and be a little objective here. Nipping this discussion in the bud- any more blindly pro- and anti-Etios posts will be summarily deleted.
Great point and a good practice. Only to say that anyone owning an Etios will post pro-Etios and many not owning one will be anti
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Etios Platinum at stand still in the showroom. While the interiors are definitely a step up compared to the first iteration, it still needs some kind of finesse/class added to it to make it desirable to the aam junta. The odo is still too small and hidden from view. I know that no one gazes at the odo while driving but still the legibility of the dials is lacking. Did not start the vehicle but the optitron meter feels better compared to the crayonish first gen meters. It should be better in the night once illuminated. They should have gone the whole hog and given the fully digital speedo as they have provided in variants abroad. Overall, much better but still not a very desirable place to be in. This is only my opinion as a prospective buyer of a hatch/premium hatchback.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd September 2016 at 12:08. Reason: Moved quoted post. Thanks for pointing to more appropriate threads
abhinav.s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:30   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Checked out the Etios Platinum at stand still in the showroom. While the interiors are definitely a step up compared to the first iteration, it still needs some kind of finesse/class added to it to make it desirable to the aam junta. The odo is still too small and hidden from view. I know that no one gazes at the odo while driving but still the legibility of the dials is lacking. Did not start the vehicle but the optitron meter feels better compared to the crayonish first gen meters. It should be better in the night once illuminated. They should have gone the whole hog and given the fully digital speedo as they have provided in variants abroad. Overall, much better but still not a very desirable place to be in. This is only my opinion as a prospective buyer of a hatch/premium hatchback.
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Although the majority of us concur that the Etios is a very dependable sedan, we also feel that there is scope for improvement, which if the Toyota guys had gone ahead with, maybe added a few thousand rupees to the final price, would have pulled in a lot of customers.

It is disappointing to see a chunk of customers dissuaded from the purchase due to the the lack of aesthetic sense in the dashboard of the car. The odo and AC vent placement would practical sense and it all wouldn't have mattered (to whom it does) if the dash had not a snazzy feel (like Hyundai) to it, but a more sophisticated and maturity to it.
sibot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

There is no doubt that I too would like my car more if the interiors did not look and feel low rent - and just the speedo placement has nothing to do with this. In fact, I positively dislike the external jazz like the extra chrome and would rather have that money spent where I can see/feel it when driving.

I bought the car in spite of how the interiors looked, but that doesn't mean that this is a plus point of the car.
Sawyer is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed